Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 09:40:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Attributing Infallibility to Humans

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Attributing Infallibility to Humans  (Read 392 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: June 18, 2014, 03:29:08 am »

BismEm

As-Salam Alaykum everyone.

We already have a shorter post with a similar topic on our board  Is 'perfection' or 'infallibility' inherent of humans? But as I promised my teammates at MV, I’m putting up another post with a bulk of additional information and every bit of Quranic reference to support the argument that infallibility is not inherent of humans.

My apologies for taking longer than I should have for putting this up and delaying my promise  Smiley

Devout traditionalists are firmly of the view that Prophets, their families and friends were "perfect" human beings who never erred.  The Shiia concept dwells around the concept that Ahl-e-Bayt and the twelve imams were infallible.  The Sunnis take for granted that the "sahabahs" were infallible.  I’ve had several run-ins with my brethren over this issue who insist upon their perfection, ignoring the information and logic in the Quran.

God Almighty confirms in the Quran that acceptance of any concept not warranted by Him are just words that people speak and guesses which they uphold.  The Noble Quran which is based firmly on realism has itself pointed out the mistakes made by some of the Prophets and their families, making it very plain that they were after all humans.

It's also ironic to observe that some Islamophobe websites make light of Islam by saying that in the Quran, Allah picks out the faults of some of His Prophets, insinuating the same hypothesis as the Sunnis and Shiias that Prophets and their families/friends require to be perfect.  However, factually what they jeer at is a praiseworthy stance of the Quran in line with truth and realism.  The Quran never considers any Prophets or their families as anything more than humans.  Prophets were chosen by God as His messengers on account of their superior ethical values and spiritual thoughts, but that superiority does not symbolize perfection.  It involves the acceptance of the Supreme existence of the Divine Power without associating any partners, and it involves the attributes of humility, rationale, reflection, repentance and justice. It's the penchant for such righteousness that made the Prophets special;  consequently God Almighty entrusted them with His Messages to deliver to humanity.  But I reiterate, this process does not imply perfection as the Quran itself proves it.

Furthermore, fallibility is no affront nor slander.   No humans, regardless of their social or spiritual status, are meant to be faultless.  Allah forgives much as long as one is humble enough to acknowledge their shortcomings, mend their ways and not repeat those transgressions.  "Those who avoid enormities of sin and abominations, save the unwilled offences - (for them) lo! thy Lord is of vast mercy."  (53:32).

The quality of infallibility which is attributed to humans by other humans is on the basis of iconic love and slapdash views.  It has proliferated into a grave fallacy with far-reaching affects, corrupting the entire ideology of Islam on un-Quranic lines. 

Infallibility belongs only to Allah and none else.  Prophets and their families are not infallibles.    Neither can angels be called "infallible" because they are the creation of Allah like humans and the slaves of Allah.  Angels only carry out the orders of Allah, as He commands them.  They do not have the capacity for perfect judgment unless Allah guides and helps them into correctness.  For that reason, when Allah told the angels of His decision of creating Adam, the angels were initially wary and confused.  But they obeyed the order of Allah when He commanded them to prostrate before Adam as a symbol of superiority of human intelligence over other creations of His, while Satan (a Jin) refused, became a disbeliever and an outcast.  This event has been explained in the following verses of Surah Al-Baqrah.

"And when thy Lord said unto the angels: Lo! I am about to place a viceroy in the earth, they said: Wilt thou place therein one who will do harm therein and will shed blood, while we, we hymn Thy praise and sanctify Thee ? He said: Surely I know that which ye know not. And He taught Adam all the names, then showed them to the angels, saying: Inform Me of the names of these, if ye are truthful. They said: Be glorified! We have no knowledge saving that which Thou hast taught us. Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Knower, the Wise.  He said: O Adam! Inform them of their names, and when he had informed them of their names, He said: Did I not tell you that I know the secret of the heavens and the earth ? And I know that which ye disclose and which ye hide. And when We said unto the angels: Prostrate yourselves before Adam, they fell prostrate, all save Iblis. He demurred through pride, and so became a disbeliever."  (2:30-34).

Let us now analyze the claim of "infallibility" attributed to Prophets and their families with direct references to the Noble Quran. 

The story of Prophet David (Dawud):

Please refer to Verses 38:21-25 (quoted at the end of this paragraph).   These verses confirm to a mistake made by Prophet David.  We are not sure what that mistake was, but it might be a reference to David's desire of wanting another man's wife in addition to his own.  At this point, two men of the nation suddenly appeared before David and presented their problem, saying that one of them had 99 sheep and the other one had only one sheep.  But the one with 99 sheep wanted the one sheep of the poorer man.  In terms of violation of justice, this case was similar to the story of David's desire.  On hearing it, David gave his decision as king, asserting that the man with "99 ewes" had wronged the other man who had only one ewe.  Soon after, his conscience made him realize his violation when he became aware that this incident was a reminder to him of his own act of injustice.  David immediately repented, fell down prostrate before God Almighty and reversed his decision.   On the basis of his sincere repentance, David was granted forgiveness by the Divine Power and his status remained unaffected.

21. “And hath the story of the litigants come unto thee ? How they climbed the wall into the royal chamber;  22. How they burst in upon David, and he was afraid of them. They said: Be not afraid! (We are) two litigants, one of whom hath wronged the other, therefor judge aright between us; be not unjust; and show us the fair way. 23. Lo! this my brother hath ninety and nine ewes while I had one ewe; and he said: Entrust it to me, and he conquered me in speech. 24. (David) said: He hath wronged thee in demanding thine ewe in addition to his ewes, and lo! many partners oppress one another, save such as believe and do good works, and they are few. And David guessed that We had tried him, and he sought forgiveness of his Lord, and he bowed himself and fell down prostrate and repented. 25. So We forgave him that; and lo! he had access to Our presence and a happy journey's end.”  (38:21-25)  Surah Saad.

Prophet Mohammed:

In the following verses, Allah Almighty teaches the Prophet (pbuh) the concept of repentance which alludes that the Prophet was not incapable of making mistakes:

"Then have patience (O Muhammad). Lo! the promise of Allah is true. And ask forgiveness of thy sin, and hymn the praise of thy Lord at fall of night and in the early hours."  (40:55)  Surah Al-Momin.

"Lo! We have given thee (O Muhammad) a signal victory, That Allah may forgive thee of thy sin that which is past and that which is to come, and may perfect His favour unto thee, and may guide thee on a right path, And that Allah may help thee with strong help "  (48:1-3)  Surah Al-Fath.

The above verses speak of forgiveness of the Prophet's past and future sins.  Obviously these must be references to minor human errors.  However what's clear is that the Prophet as a human being, was capable of faltering once in a while, particularly considering the very difficult task he was entrusted with.  It's impossible for us to enumerate what those minor errors may have been and neither is that necessary.   

"So know (O Muhammad) that there is no God save Allah, and ask forgiveness for thy sin and for believing men and believing women. Allah knoweth (both) your place of turmoil and your place of rest."   (47:19)  Surah Muhammad.

In Verse 47:19 Allah tells the Prophet to ask forgiveness for his sins and also seek forgiveness for all believers, men and women.  The words and tone of this verse again make it clear that the Prophet was not infallible nor super-human.  Just like other human beings, he too needed to ask forgiveness of Allah.  It doesn't mean that the Prophet's quality as a human being was like anyone else.  He was far above any of us, but as a human being did err once in a while.

He Frowned (Surah Abasa):

The following Surah, "Abasa," Chapter 80, is about a very human mistake which the Prophet made.  It's clarified as you read the Surah quoted below.   Allah clearly reprimands the Prophet for his error.

"He frowned and turned away
Because the blind man came unto him.
What could inform thee but that he might grow (in grace)
Or take heed and so the reminder might avail him ?
As for him who thinketh himself independent,
Unto him thou payest regard.
Yet it is not thy concern if he grow not (in grace).
But as for him who cometh unto thee with earnest purpose
And hath fear,
From him thou art distracted."
(Surah Abasa, 80:1 -10)

Though the Surah is self-explanatory, for further possible clarification, here is the commentary by M.M. Pickthall:  Reportedly, the Prophet was engrossed in a conversation with some of the most influential chieftains of pagan Mecca, hoping to convince them - and, through them, the Meccan community at large - of the truth of his message. At that point, he was approached by one of his followers, a blind man, with the request to explain some passages of the Qur'an. Annoyed by this interruption the Prophet "frowned and turned away" from the blind man - and was immediately reproved by the revelation of the first ten verses of this Surah.

Wives of Prophet Noah and Prophet Lut:

Please refer to Verse 66:10 of Surah At-Tahrim, and Verse 11:81 of Surah Hud.

"Allah citeth an example for those who disbelieve: the wife of Noah and the wife of Lot, who were under two of Our righteous slaves yet betrayed them so that they (the husbands) availed them naught against Allah and it was said (unto them): Enter the Fire along with those who enter."  (66:10).

"(The messengers) said: O Lot! Lo! we are messengers of thy Lord; they shall not reach thee. So travel with thy people in a part of the night, and let not one of you turn round - (all) save thy wife. Lo! that which smiteth them will smite her (also). Lo! their tryst is (for) the morning. Is not the morning nigh ?"  (11:81).

The above Verses confirms two aspects.  First, that the wives of the two Prophets were not righteous women even though their husbands were righteous men.  Secondly, family connection is not a guarantee for righteousness neither is it enough to exonerate the guilty.

Prophet Noah's son:

The son of Prophet Noah was a disbeliever and a sinful person, for which Allah destroyed him.  His story is narrated in Surah Hud, Chapter 11.  When Noah's Ark began sailing amidst huge waves, Prophet Noah saw his son standing aloof on the land and Noah called out to him requesting him to come to the Ark and be with the righteous.  But the son refused.  Soon, a big wave came in between them and the son was washed away.  When the deluge ended and the Ark came to rest upon Mount Judi, Prophet Noah (remembering his son's awful fate) cried out to Allah with the request to save his son since he was of his household.  But Allah reprimanded Prophet Noah saying that his son was of evil conduct and not to plead for sinners.  Consequently, Prophet Noah asked forgiveness of Allah.

42. “And it sailed with them amid waves like mountains, and Noah cried unto his son - and he was standing aloof - O my son! Come ride with us, and be not with the disbelievers.  43. He said: I shall betake me to some mountain that will save me from the water. (Noah) said: This day there is none that saveth from the commandment of Allah save him on whom He hath had mercy. And the wave came in between them, so he was among the drowned.  44. And it was said: O earth! Swallow thy water and, O sky! be cleared of clouds! And the water was made to subside. And the commandment was fulfilled. And it (the ship) came to rest upon (the mount) Al-Judi and it was said: A far removal for wrongdoing folk!  45. And Noah cried unto his Lord and said: My Lord! Lo! my son is of my household! Surely Thy promise is the truth and Thou are the Most Just of Judges.  46. He said: O Noah! Lo! he is not of thy household; lo! he is of evil conduct, so ask not of Me that whereof thou hast no knowledge. I admonish thee lest thou be among the ignorant.  47. He said: My Lord! Lo! in Thee do I seek refuge (from the sin) that I should ask of Thee that whereof I have no knowledge. Unless Thou forgive me and have mercy on me I shall be among the lost.”  (11:42-47)  Surah Hud.

Prophet Abraham's father:

Although Prophet Abraham was a very special person and chosen by Allah Almighty to guide his community, yet Abraham's father, Azar, was of the disbelievers - a mushrik, an idolater - who strongly opposed Prophet Abraham's belief. 

"(Remember) when Abraham said unto his father Azar: Takest thou idols for gods ? Lo! I see thee and thy folk in error manifest."  (6:74)  Surah Al-Anam.

Adam, the first Prophet:

Adam, who was the first Prophet, was apparently lacking in consistently.  The details that made his character inconsistent and not exactly of the standard that could earn too much praise from Allah is not known to us.  Only Allah knows that best.  But from the words of Allah, it's obvious that Adam, even though he was a Prophet was certainly not perfect. 

"And verily We made a covenant of old with Adam, but he forgot, and We found no constancy in him."  (20:115)  Surah Ta-Ha.

Prophet Yunus (or Jonah):

Prophet Jonah was one of the messengers of Allah sent to warn and inform the community about the Truth.   His story as narrated in the Noble Quran is another example that Prophets, as humans, can err but they are profoundly drawn to repentance and humility and thus Allah forgives them.   Allah states in Surah Al-Qalam, verses 48 and 49: " .... and be not like him of the fish, who cried out in despair.  Had it not been that favour from his Lord had reached him he surely had been cast into the wilderness while he was reprobate."  This is referred to Prophet Yunus (or Jonah).  The entire story of Prophet Yunus is in Surah As-Saffat, Chapter 37.  So let's take a closer look at what his disobedience was.

“When he fled unto the laden ship,  And then drew lots and was of those rejected;  And the fish swallowed him while he was blameworthy;”  (37:140-142).

Prophet Yunus fled onto a ship.  According to tafsirs and commentaries, the reason for this was that Prophet Yunus initially avoided the responsibility of his mission entrusted to him by Allah.  The vessel in which he boarded after fleeing was overloaded with too many people.  To avoid overloading and to lessen the number of people on board, they apparently had a system for rejecting passengers by 'lucky draws.'  The name of Prophet Yunus came in the lot; subsequently he was a rejected passenger of the ship, thrown overboard and swallowed by a big fish.  This affliction was caused to Prophet Yunus as a punishment by Allah.  The evidence or confirmation for this interpretation is the word abaqa in Verse 37:140, and also word mulim in Verse 37:142 .... فَالْتَقَمَهُ الْحُوتُ وَهُوَ مُلِيمٌ    --  Fāltaqamahu Al-Ĥūtu Wa Huwa Mulīmun.  (transliteration).   "And the fish swallowed him while he was blameworthy;"  (translation).    Mulim (مُلِيمٌ ) means a person who is blameworthy because of his own mistake, whether or not others blame him.

“And had he not been one of those who glorify (Allah)
He would have tarried in its belly till the day when they are raised;”
(37:143-144).

Prophet Yunus was not heedless of Allah; he was of those who constantly remembered, loved and glorified Allah.  Thus Allah says that if Yunus was not among those who praised Allah, he would have stayed in the belly of the fish as a punishment until the Day of Judgment.  This does not mean that the fish would have lived till the Day of Resurrection and that Prophet Yunus would have remained alive in its belly till then.  But it simply means that as a penalty, Allah would not rescue him and he would have died after being swallowed by the fish, to be raised on the Day of Resurrection with everyone else.

“Then We cast him on a desert shore while he was sick;
And We caused a tree of gourd to grow above him;”  (37:145-146).

When Prophet Yunus acknowledged his fault, repented and glorified Allah as a sincere believer, he was helped by Allah.   The fish spat him out on the beach by Allah's will.  The beach was apparently a barren place with no shade, no vegetation and no food.   Allah caused a gourd tree to grow to provide Yunus with shade and food.   Gourd is basically a green fruit but can also be eaten as a vegetable.

The repentance of Prophet Yunus when he acknowledged his misconduct was “La ilaha ila anta Subhaneka ini kunto minaz zalimeen” (There is no god save Thee.  Be Thou glorified! Lo! I have been an evil-doer).  (21: 87).  This is one of the most widely recited Quranic duas for repentance among believers.

Surah At-Tahrim (Banning) where Allah Almighty reprimands the Prophet Muhammed:

“O Prophet! Why bannest thou that which Allah hath made lawful for thee, seeking to please thy wives ? And Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.  Allah hath made lawful for you (Muslims) absolution from your oaths (of such a kind), and Allah is your Protector. He is the Knower, the Wise.”  (66:1-2).

In the above verses of Surah At-Tahrim,  Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) is corrected by Allah when he made a mistake to ban something which was Halal only to please his wives.   The Prophet's wives (names not mentioned) are also reprimanded for their behavior. 

"If ye twain turn unto Allah repentant, (ye have cause to do so) for your hearts desired (the ban); and if ye aid one another against him (Muhammad) then lo! Allah, even He, is his Protecting Friend, and Gabriel and the righteous among the believers; and furthermore the angels are his helpers."  (66:4).

Prophet Moses:

Prophet Moses (pbuh) made a mistake and then regretted, asking forgiveness of Allah, when he accidently killed a man by striking him with his fist in support for another person of his caste. 

“And he entered the city at a time of carelessness of its folk, and he found therein two men fighting, one of his own caste, and the other of his enemies; and he who was of his caste asked him for help against him who was of his enemies. So Moses struck him with his fist and killed him. He said: This is of the devil's doing. Lo! he is an enemy, a mere misleader.  He said: My Lord! Lo! I have wronged my soul, so forgive me. Then He forgave him. Lo! He is the Forgiving, the Merciful.”  (28:15-16).

Abu Lahab, reportedly an uncle of the Prophet (pbuh)

Abu Lahab, according to historical reports was a relative of the Prophet (pbuh);  probably a cousin of the Prophet’s uncle, Abu Talib.  Yet he and his wife were one of the staunchest of disbelievers who vehemently opposed the Prophet (pbuh).  The depth of the sins of Abu Lahab and his wife can be envisaged from the fact that they have both been denounced by Allah Almighty in the Noble Quran directly.  Abu Lahab has been condemned by name.  Both he and his wife have been categorically doomed to Hellfire in Surah Al-Masad.

“The power of Abu Lahab will perish, and he will perish. His wealth and gains will not exempt him.  He will be plunged in flaming Fire, And his wife, the wood-carrier, Will have upon her neck a halter of palm-fibre.”  (111:1-5).

Surah Yusuf, Chapter 12:

Prophet Yusuf  (Joseph), his brother and all his half brothers were the sons of Prophet Yakub (Jacob), also a Prophet.  The half brothers schemed to kidnap Yusuf and they threw him in a well.  Yusuf was a very pious man and Allah chose him as a Prophet, but Yusuf’s brothers who belonged to the same family were consumed with jealousy and hatred.  Although they later repented their sin, yet the fact that they committed such a criminal act which caused so much grief to both Yusuf and his father proves that the half brothers were not infallible.  It's a clear evidence that piety or righteousness does not run in the family.  It's not hereditary.  In a family of several pious ones, some unrighteous members can arise and vice-versa.

Wife of Pharaoh:

In a family filled with unrighteous persons, there is a possibility that a single pious person with belief in Monotheism (Tawheed) seeking the guidance of Allah can be present.  A very accurate example of this was the wife of Pharaoh.  Despite her disbelieving husband and his disbelieving associates, she remained firm of faith believing in Allah alone .. supplicating to Allah "And Allah citeth an example for those who believe: the wife of Pharaoh when she said: My Lord! Build for me a home with thee in the Garden, and deliver me from Pharaoh and his work, and deliver me from evil-doing folk;"  (66:11).

Conclusion:

"And be gracious unto me in the matter of my seed. Lo! I have turned unto Thee repentant, and lo! I am of those who surrender (unto Thee).   Those are they from whom We accept the best of what they do, and overlook their evil deeds. (They are) among the owners of the Garden. This is the true promise which they were promised (in the world)."  (46:15-16).

Please ponder in on the underlined portion of the above verses 46:15-16 and try to grasp its broader perspective.  Allah speaks on the acceptance of believers who perform good deeds.  They will be granted the ultimate gift - Paradise.  However, even those who succeed in acquiring Paradise will not be infallible or perfect.  Hence Allah says that He will accept their best deeds and overlook their evil deeds.  This implies that no human being can be absolutely perfect.

Righteous deeds in humans include a strong iman, humility, remorse, repentance and steadfastness after reforms..  These are the rare and admirable qualities of humans.  As we clearly gather from the contents of the Noble Quran, these merits were found to the utmost in the past Prophets whom Allah chose, who weren't "infallible" but worthy and noble.

The truth is obvious.  The Noble Quran has made it crystal clear that no one, not even the Prophets nor their families can be called "infallible" by definition.  However, there are indeed huge differences between the qualities of the characters of different people.  Righteousness and unrighteousness has various grades which are taken into consideration by the Divine Power for dispensing infallible justice.  But regardless of the grades of righteousness, none come into the category of being "infallible."  Infallibility belongs only to Allah.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 08:11:44 pm »

Good one Sister.  My head has been reeling over this issue for years.  I can't describe how adamantly the Shiia Muslims have had their minds conditioned.  Let alone the Ahl-e-Bayt or the 12 imams, anyone who calls himself an "imam" or is even known as "Hojatoleslam" which is only an honorific title becomes "infallible" to their eyes.  If you criticize Ali Khamanei, they will start by accusing you of being against the family of the Prophet, then they will claim you are against the Prophet (pbuh) and then you will be ostracized as a deviant.  It goes on exactly the same lines as the criticism of Sunni hadith would get you branded as "anti-sahbahs" and consequently "anti-Prophet" in the eyes of Sunni Muslims. 

Your evidences and arguments are totally solid.   But those who don't want to wake up and grasp guidance will forever be asleep.  They will only wake up on the Day of Judgment .. toooo late!

Prophet Yunus fled onto a ship.  According to tafsirs and commentaries, the reason for this was that Prophet Yunus initially avoided the responsibility of his mission entrusted to him by Allah.  The vessel in which he boarded after fleeing was overloaded with too many people.  To avoid overloading and to lessen the number of people on board, they apparently had a system for rejecting passengers by 'lucky draws.'  The name of Prophet Yunus came in the lot; subsequently he was a rejected passenger of the ship, thrown overboard and swallowed by a big fish.

Btw, this is one of the very rare tafsirs which tallies with the Quranic contents of the particular subject.  After reading verses 37:140-142 when I had checked a similar tafsir some time ago, for the first time I thought I could trust a single commentary.  Most others waver wide off the mark, it doesn't even seem they're talking on the same topic.

Thanks a million sister Ruhi.  May Allah reward you for this hard work and efforts for unveiling the truth.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 08:34:35 pm »

You are welcomed brother ..

Let alone the Ahl-e-Bayt or the 12 imams, anyone who calls himself an "imam" or is even known as "Hojatoleslam" which is only an honorific title becomes "infallible" to their eyes.  If you criticize Ali Khamanei, they will start by accusing you of being against the family of the Prophet, then they will claim you are against the Prophet (pbuh) and then you will be ostracized as a deviant.  It goes on exactly the same lines as the criticism of Sunni hadith would get you branded as "anti-sahbahs" and consequently "anti-Prophet" in the eyes of Sunni Muslims. 

This is exactly what I've experienced with them too.  Once at the community center I had a debate with a Shiia brother from Pakistan.  No matter how much proof rejecting infallibility and the absence of infallibility being no reason for permanent condemnation I would quote to him from the Quran, he wouldn't even stop to think about it.  He kept repeating his one-dimensional thought "if leaders would not be perfect, why would Allah choose them to lead?" So I found it's a waste of time talking to such folks.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 04:29:11 am »

Nice, nice and nice!  Smiley   A very comprehensive piece where you've indeed taken every bit of evidence from the Noble Quran to prove your point.  I also fully concur that the acknowledgement that all Prophets were humans is complimentary for them and a solace for us.  The enormous task entrusted to all Prophets of delivering the Message of Allah to humanity was no easy one for many different reasons. It's but natural that some of them would make a few mistakes here and there inadvertently.  And the fact they all repented with humility whenever they erred only speaks volumes about their exemplary character.  No one is perfect.  But a man who makes a mistake, then realizes it, asks Allah to pardon him and then never repeats that act is truly great.  While those who claim perfection and are far from it are the common crooks we see today. 

When the Prophet (pbuh) got his Call, many Meccans disbelieved and taunted the him because he had no formal education and he wasn't a rich Qureyshite.  They used to say, as elucidated in the Quran, that if the Call was true, Allah would not choose an ordinary man as His messenger rather he would choose one of the wealthy men of Qureysh.  But Allah knows best with whom to place His Message.  Allah has emphasized the importance of sending a messenger to the people who can connect with them - who is human like the rest, though a far better human, yet not perfect.

"And they say: What aileth this messenger (of Allah) that he eateth food and walketh in the markets ? Why is not an angel sent down unto him, to be a warner with him.  Or (why is not) treasure thrown down unto him, or why hath he not a paradise from whence to eat ? And the evil-doers say: Ye are but following a man bewitched."  (25:7-8).

The Meccans said this because they could not accept the idea of an ordinary human teaching them the Truth.  The mentality has turned much the same today. 

Then again Allah says:

"And naught prevented mankind from believing when the guidance came unto them save that they said: Hath Allah sent a mortal as (His) messenger ?  Say: If there were in the earth angels walking secure, We had sent down for them from heaven an angel as messenger."  (17:94-95).

The disbelievers didn't want to trust the Prophet (pbuh) because he was only a human being.  Those who today claim how could Allah choose a leader if that person wasn't perfect, nurture exactly the same mindset.  The resemblance between their mentalities is quite obvious.   Allah also refers to the concept that He chooses as His messenger one who is of the same category of living beings as his society.

Shiia Muslims have had their minds conditioned.  Let alone the Ahl-e-Bayt or the 12 imams, anyone who calls himself an "imam" or is even known as "Hojatoleslam" which is only an honorific title becomes "infallible" to their eyes.  If you criticize Ali Khamanei, they will start by accusing you of being against the family of the Prophet, then they will claim you are against the Prophet (pbuh) and then you will be ostracized as a deviant.  It goes on exactly the same lines as the criticism of Sunni hadith would get you branded as "anti-sahbahs" and consequently "anti-Prophet" in the eyes of Sunni Muslims. 

hummmm .... well we always knew about the Shiias iconizing the 12 imams into perfection and the Sunnis elevating Abu Huraira & co. into sainthood, all of which is incorrect enough.  But since when did Ali Khamanei and morons like Hassan Rouhani become related to the Prophet's family?  Is the Shiia community going completely bananas or what the heck?  The pile of  poop never stops getting higher and higher. 

Btw, this is one of the very rare tafsirs which tallies with the Quranic contents of the particular subject.  After reading verses 37:140-142 when I had checked a similar tafsir some time ago, for the first time I thought I could trust a single commentary.  Most others waver wide off the mark, it doesn't even seem they're talking on the same topic.

Yes brother, I was gonna say that myself  Smiley 

“When he fled unto the laden ship,  And then drew lots and was of those rejected;  And the fish swallowed him while he was blameworthy;”  these words of verses 140-142 of Surah 37 are a brief narration of a lengthy event, yet the brief narration covers everything.  Amazing!  Alhumdulilah.  For once, the commentary of these verses seem to have correct links with the actual incident.

Tons of thanks Sister Ruhi for this very logical read.  Superb job!
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 04:59:50 pm »

"And they say: What aileth this messenger (of Allah) that he eateth food and walketh in the markets ? Why is not an angel sent down unto him, to be a warner with him.  Or (why is not) treasure thrown down unto him, or why hath he not a paradise from whence to eat ? And the evil-doers say: Ye are but following a man bewitched."  (25:7-8).

"And naught prevented mankind from believing when the guidance came unto them save that they said: Hath Allah sent a mortal as (His) messenger ?  Say: If there were in the earth angels walking secure, We had sent down for them from heaven an angel as messenger."  (17:94-95).

Yes Sister Heba, that's another angle of accurately for perceiving the issue.  It's very common, almost intrinsic, within humans to elevate by canonizing the status of spiritual leaders with the passage of time.  After a few centuries of constant canonization, it ends up carving a very different picture of a person which automatically also leads to changes in the original rules of the Divine Faith via the discrepancy of human perception. 

The above verses are very much in line with this fact, elucidating the rejection of a down-to-earth approach.   

The Shiia & Sunni Muslims on one side and the Christians on the other, present two extreme ways neither of which are correct.  Of course the Christian fabrications are much further from the truth and far more unfounded.  While the Muslims attribute perfection to Prophets, the Christians are prone to slandering them and that's how we see false accusations against Prophets David and Noah for instance, in various altered biblical stories. 

The Noble Quran is different from both the above approaches as it presents the facts and thus we get the realistic description of every aspect and every person.  It goes without saying all Prophets were great men with unusually superior conduct.  But since they were humans, occasional minor missteps weren't absent either which must NOT be taken as a derogatory issue.  It's but natural.  Hence they too needed the help of Allah.  As you rightly said, the greatness lies in seeking the forgiveness of Allah and the resolve to correct oneself by asking Him for guidance.  And all Prophets surely did that.

But since when did Ali Khamanei and morons like Hassan Rouhani become related to the Prophet's family?  Is the Shiia community going completely bananas or what the heck?  The pile of  poop never stops getting higher and higher.

Actually it's quite an old issue .. something I realized after starting to communicate with our somewhat orthodox Shiia brethren and then carefully scrutinizing their insight.  This attitude has been exacerbated after the revolution in Iran.  Though overall, it was a good revolution despite bloodshed of civilians neutral to the revolution which could have been avoided, one of the few downsides were the blind attribution of perfection to clerics .. making the 'style' similar to the Christian concept.  Of course, it's largely the same in Sunni circles.  Criticizing people like Amr Khalid, Ahmed Kutty, Haitham al-Haddad, Noman Ali Khan etc. could get you into real hot water.  Criticizing the Al-Azha bigwigs before a Sunni is not much different from criticizing Qom before a Shiia.  However, I think majority of Shiias are more rabid about Qom than majority of Sunnis are over Al-Azha.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: