Guests wanting to sign-up as members MUST first introduce themselves in detail at our Guestbook otherwise their registrations will be DELETED. Approval of members is at the discretion of the team. MV is a place for humble learning through mutual consultation, not for narcissists nor belligerent disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism."
Muslim Villa
December 15, 2017, 04:14:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Verse 12 of Surah Al-Qasas - foster mothers not for Prophet Moses

+-
Shoutbox
November 09, 2017, 04:26:36 am Heba E. Husseyn: Please pray for Rohingya children. As genocide in Buddhist Burma continues, many Rohingya children arriving in Bangladesh camps don't know where their parents are. May the Burmese murderer-terrorist Su Kyi rot in Hell.
June 21, 2017, 07:42:01 am Zeynab: Shukran sis Heba.  Allah Bless. Ameen.
June 21, 2017, 07:39:56 am Heba E. Husseyn: Leialtul Qadr Mubarak.  For details on Leilatul Qadr please read MV post Leila-tul-Qadr
May 04, 2017, 05:35:01 am N. Truth Seeker: Alhumdulilah, Alhumdulilah.  Still 22 days left.  InshAllah we can thank Allah for granting us the opportunity to experience another of this blessed month for the betterment of our souls.  Thanks for mentioning Sister.
May 04, 2017, 05:20:37 am Ruhi_Rose: I can hardly keep track with the speed at which time flies.  Ramadan 2017 only 22 days away!
September 12, 2016, 03:17:09 am N. Truth Seeker: Wa salam sisters. So kind of u to remember. Alhumdulilah that Allah gave us another chance to live thru the blessed month of Zil Hajj.  Was a busy time for all of my family.
September 11, 2016, 08:26:43 am Zeynab: Wa'salaam my dear Sis Heba Smiley  Yes, Alhumdulilah, the 10 days of this blessed month went well by the Grace & Mercy of Allah. I wish the same for all.
September 11, 2016, 02:20:02 am Heba E. Husseyn: Salam my dear MV team and other sis and bros.  I pray the first 10 days of the bless month of Zil Hajj has passed well for all.  Hajj culminates in about 2 days. InshAllah.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Verse 12 of Surah Al-Qasas - foster mothers not for Prophet Moses  (Read 439 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: August 27, 2014, 08:56:03 am »

BismEm

"And We had before forbidden foster-mothers for him, so she said: Shall I show you a household who will rear him for you and take care of him ?"  28:12.

I need some clarifications to correctly understand this verse. First of all, does it refer that foster mothers were Haram in Prophet Moses' (pbuh) time?  During Prophet Muhammed's (pbuh) it certainly was not forbidden because the Quran mentions that parents can hire nurses to suckle their babies, if the need arises or if they want to.  Secondly, I assume it was the sister of Prophet Moses (pbuh) who mentioned to Pharaoh's household that she could recommend a good nurse for him, that is, her mother and his mother.  Does this mean that Prophet Moses' sister also lived in Pharaoh's palace otherwise how did she make this suggestion to them?
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:18:22 am »

As-salam Alaykum and hi Sister Ruhi. 

No it doesn't mean foster mothers were Haram at the time of Prophet Moses (pbuh).  It simply means that Allah Almighty had not ordained in Prophet Moses' kismet or destiny that he should have a nurse other than his own mother.  Prophet Moses' mother was very worried about him and it was only her firm faith in Allah that helped her to endure the situation.  So, Allah granted comfort to her heart in this manner.

Your second point is a very thoughtful one.  Whether or not the sister of Prophet Moses began living in Pharaoh's palace is not known.  But it's very possible, rather obvious, that she was attached to Pharaoh's palace which might be as a female servant or maid attending on Pharaoh's wife or working to maintain the palace.   That's how she suggested to Pharaoh's household that she knew someone who could work as a nurse for the child.  This also indicates that perhaps Pharaoh's family wanted to hire a nurse for the little child which was quite a common custom among wealthy families in those days and also during the days of Prophet Muhammed (pbuh), and that gave the opportunity to Moses' sister to recommend their mother.  But quite definitely this was a secret between Moses' sister and their mother.  Pharaoh's family didn't know that the girl was the baby's sister and the nurse was his mother. 

Hope my feedback helps.   Allah bless.
Report Spam   Logged

HE WHO KNEELS BEFORE ALLAH CAN
STAND BEFORE ANYONE.
Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:02:45 am »

Walaykum As-Salam, dear brother.  Thanks a million.  Makes it perfectly clear Smiley  Very helpful feedback !!   Allah bless you my brother.
Report Spam   Logged

Zeynab
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 04:36:18 am »

Salaam sister and brother.  Very well explained Br.TS.   Some people also interpret it by saying that the child (that is Prophet Moses) would not take to any nurse whom Pharaoh's wife would hire for taking care of him.  That gave the opportunity to Prophet Moses' sister to suggest a nurse for him (their mother).  Maududi writes:  "This shows that the sister did not go and sit back at home when she found that her brother had reached Pharaoh's palace, but cleverly hung about the palace to watch every new development. Then, when she found that the child was not taking to any nurse, and the queen was anxious to get a suitable nurse,  the intelligent girl went to the palace, and said she knew the whereabouts of a nurse who could bring him up with great affection. Here it should be borne in mind that in old days the well-to-do and noble families of these countries generally used to entrust their children to nurses (similar to nannies). We know that in the time of the Holy Prophet also nurses from the suburbs used to visit Makkah from time to time in order to take care of infants from well-to-do on rich wages. The Holy Prophet himself was brought up by Halimah Saadiyah in the desert. The same custom was prevalent in Egypt. That is why Prophet Moses' sister did not say that she would bring a suitable nurse, but said that she would tell them of a house whose people would take up the responsibility of bringing him up with care and affection."

Maududi presumes that Prophet Moses' sister was not a worker inside the palace but an observer from outside.  This may also be a possibility, though it's just as possible that she may have been hired inside the palace for doing some odd jobs.  After all, the Quran does not specify this point other than her presence at or around the palace.   
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 02:45:35 pm »

Wa'salam and many thanks my Sis.  Makes sense.  This explanation is very similar to that of Br.TS with slight variations such as Prophet Moses when a baby wouldn't be comforted with any other nurse or nanny.  That's the way Allah ordained matters to make way for Prophet Moses' mother to become his nurse. And that his sister might have basically stayed around outside the palace yet within close enough distance to observe what's going on by hanging around the premises and talking to various palace workers. 

Thanks again sis.  This was a good additional commentary.
Report Spam   Logged

Zeynab
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 02:47:51 pm »

Exactly, excellent wrap up Sis Ruhi.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: