Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 29, 2024, 06:25:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

A dead man brought to life: Specific portent of Allah, not a general law

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: A dead man brought to life: Specific portent of Allah, not a general law  (Read 221 times)
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: December 30, 2014, 01:03:02 am »

BismEm

"And (remember) when you slew a man and disagreed concerning it and Allah brought forth that which you were hiding. 2:72.

And We said: Smite him with some of it. Thus Allah brings the dead to life and shows you His portents so that you may understand. 2:73.

Then, even after that, your hearts were hardened and became as rocks, or worse than rocks, for hardness."  2:74.

In this regard let me mention and apologize that the thread I posted regarding V.2:72-73 some time ago titled "A possible reference to the man unknowingly slain by Moses" was not interpreted correctly by me.  I got mixed up between two different Quranic narrations and overlooked some important details.

Prophet Moses (pbuh) accidentally killed a man in Egypt before escaping to Midian.  That was the only time he made such a mistake.  This incident is covered in detail in Surah 28, Al-Qasas.

Verses 2:72:73 refers to the Israelis during the long stretch of the Exodus when they went through several phases of disobedience towards Allah and at a certain time during this period killed a man and then quarreled over it.  Soon after, Allah brought the dead man to life to show them His portent that He is able to do all things. Quoting Verse 2:73 "Smite him with some of it." .... Though it's not possible for us to confirm what precisely this means, but according to most commentators it means to smite the dead man with a part of the slaughtered cow.  The incident of sacrificing a cow is mentioned in the preceding verses of Surah Al-Baqrah, verses 2:67-71, and it's from these verses that Surah Al-Baqrah (The Cow) gets its title.  To smite the dead man with the part of the sacrificed cow is the opinion of commentators which might be correct but only Allah knows best.  We cannot presume any further.

As Pickthall stated in his commentary that different people have come with varying interpretations of Verses 2:72-73.  Some say that these two verses refer to an incident that took place in Medinah.  But no one knows nor has stated what that incident was.  There are others who are of the opinion that these verses refer to the ascension of Prophet Essa, son of Virgin Mary (peace be on them).  But if you carefully read the verses preceding and following verses 2:72-73, you will find that all those verses apparently have nothing to do with Essa, son of Virgin Maryam. The entire set of verses of Surah Al-Baqrah starting from Verse 40 to Verse 123 is about the Israelites and some Verses also about the Christians.  So I think we can be quite sure the the reference is not to any incident in Medinah nor to Prophet Essa son of Virgin Maryam.  Verses 2:72-73 under discussion is quite definitely about the Israelites after they left Egypt with Prophet Moses (pbuh).

And here is something interesting for which I need to again apologize, this time specifically to Sisters Ruhi and Heba.  Both Sisters, intelligent as they are, promptly caught my mistake (SubhanAllah) but they wanted to confirm by reading the two incidents of Surah Al-Qasas and Surah Al-Baqrah before putting their final and corrected comments and the matter was still pending when I observed my oversight.  Thank Allah for that.

Below I quote the replies of Sisters Ruhi and Heba to my previous post on Verses 2:72-73 which has now been deleted.

Quote from: Ruhi_Rose

Now, here's what I'm trying to figure out.  The story of Prophet Moses accidentally killing a man in Egypt is described in detail in Surah Al-Qasas verses 28:14-22 after which Prophet Moses left for Midian to escape prosecution by Pharaoh's men. Then Moses lived in Midian for quite a long time, got married and again came to Egypt at the command of Allah Almighty to call Pharaoh to HIS path.  So, my question is:  In the story of Moses in Surah Al-Qasas (verses 28:14:22) where the incident of Moses killing a man by mistake and repenting is mentioned, there's no indication of the dead man coming back to life.  Thus, how can the occurrence mentioned in verses 2:72-73 be the same as that of 28:14-22 ?

Quote from: Heba
Salams sister Ruhi.  You've brought up a very perceptive point.  I would surmise that the incidents mentioned in Verses 2:72-73 and Verses 28:14-22 are not the same.  They are two different events; but I will need to read both narrations carefully again to clarify matters more specifically.

Many thanks for correcting me dear Sisters.  You folks were right, I was wrong.  I later studied both incidents thoroughly and Verses 2:72-73 has now been correctly explained.  All praise be to Allah Almighty.

One more point needs to be stated.  It's important to mention here that this incident of bringing a dead man to life is a specific miracle of Allah which HE chose to perform only to show HIS portents to the Israelites.  It's not a standard law that can be construed as any dead person coming back to life through our own presumptions.  The Hadithists often take this example to claim the correctness of their presumption of the return of Essa son of Virgin Maryam even though the Quran does not give any reason to presume that.  The Quran only confirms the ascension of Prophet Essa, not his descension.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 02:52:31 am »

Salams .. awesome Sis! Smiley   That's crystal clear.  To be honest I simply didn't recall to follow it up though it was urgent work.  I too was a bit mixed up.  I remembered the story of Prophet Musa in Surah Al-Qasas very vividly.  But I wasn't being able to recall the details of the incident mentioned in Surah Al-Baqra V.2:72-73.  I guess Sis Heba forgot too though she usually rarely forgets to finish pending work.   I'll save this one and the other one brilliantly explained by br. TS. as well.  I've seen it and will acknowledge it in a minute, InshAllah.  Thanks to both of you.  Allah Almighty bless.  Ameen.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: