Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 01:13:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Lemon Juice and Rose Water - 2 best natural skin toners

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Lemon Juice and Rose Water - 2 best natural skin toners  (Read 2069 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: February 19, 2015, 10:43:41 pm »

Daily use of an astringent or skin toner is one of the key secrets to a radiant skin. 

For a long time I used Olay skin astringent.  It worked effectively enough.  But its composition showed inclusion of too many synthetics, artificial colors and alcohol.  I found that alarming as I used it everyday on my face and around my neck.

I decided to dump Olay and switch over to simply witch hazel.  I purchased a bottle of witch hazel from a nearby drug store without much fuss.  I used it a few times.  Then one day as I glanced at its ingredients, I found that though there were no chemicals, it contained 14% alcohol.  I was again alarmed as I had taken for granted all these past days that it contained only witch hazel and distilled water.  Daily use of a skin toner with alcohol content of as much as 14% can cause damage to the skin cells.  So I set it aside only to be used as a disinfectant for minor cuts or wounds.

For the use of a skin toner, I was now determined to go completely organic with a DIY stuff so I know exactly what I'm using. 

After a fairly arduous research, I settled for two of the simplest and one hundred percent natural skin toners - fresh lemon juice and and rose water prepared in my own kitchen. 

My husband and children are fond of container gardening.  They decorate our spacious balcony with an array of lovely flowers grown in containers every summer.  For my sake, roses are a must to plant every season for the 'production' of homemade rose water which I bottle up and store in the fridge, substantial enough to last for most of the following winter.

LEMON JUICE 

We know how much face astringents and toners cost in cosmetic and drug stores.  You can get something a lot more pure, organic, chemical/paraben free and for a fraction of the price of commercial astringents if you switch over to simply lemon juice as your best skin toner.  Lemon juice has been known for centuries as an excellent skin toner resulting in smaller pores, and smoother and tighter skin.  The fact that lemon applied on skin helps shrink the pores is hugely important preventing make-up and dirt from clogging the pores.  Lemon juice is an excellent natural cleanser.  It cleans off dust and dirt on the face very efficiently.

After washing your face, moisten a cotton ball with small amounts of freshly squeezed lemon juice and wipe your face, neck and back of the neck.    You might feel some tingling.  Don't let that worry you.   Leave it on for only 10 minutes.  Then rinse with cool or lukewarm water.  Try not to use very warm water as that will not allow the lemon to react on your skin to close the pores.   After washing off the lemon juice, pat dry skin and apply make-up, if desired.

Just remember not to use lemon juice on broken skin.

Last but not least, lemon juice is also a natural bleach.  Using it regularly on the face and neck will result in lighter skin.

If you find concentrated lemon juice too strong for your specific skin type, you can mix it with a little water as a natural astringent.

ROSE WATER 

Let's start with the preparation of rose water.

How to prepare rose water

You would require some fresh rose petals and distilled water to prepare this diy astringent at home.  Instead of buying roses from flower shops, preferably use roses grown in your own garden or container garden to ensure they're pesticide free.  Collect the petals in a colander or large stainer and wash them well. Then place them in a metal bowl.  If you can crush the petals roughly, just a  little, using a mortar & pestle hand grinder (its image below) would be a good idea.  Heat the water till it comes to a rolling boil and pour it slowly over the rose petals placed in a metal bowl so that the petals are just covered.  Too much water will make the rose water too diluted.  Keep it for around thirty minutes and filter the petals with a strainer in such a way that the rose water comes out.  Allow solution to cool for a while.  Then pour it in a bottle and store in the refrigerator.  This is called rose extract or rose water.  It's also referred to as steam distillation of rose petals extracting essential oils.

Alternatively, another method of preparing rose water which is more preferable and the one I follow .... place the petals in a saucepan and add water to completely cover them. Put the saucepan to boil on very low heat. Let it reduce to half until the petals turn pale. All the color should come in the water. Cool and refrigerate.   One hundred percent natural and chemical free !!  Smiley

Its benefits

DIY rose water can last for months.  It has no specific duration after which it could be considered date expired.  A bit of residual formation over time is normal.  But after storing it for a very long period if you see it getting too discolored, turning very dark .. almost black, then it's time to throw it away and prepare a fresh load of rose water.   

Rose water works for both skin types.  It hydrates dry skin, and removes excess oil from greasy skin.  Rose petals contain natural sugars and essential oils that make it a natural cleanser as well as a natural moisturizer.  A wonderful way to use rose water as a splendid moisturizer yet not overly greasy is to mix equal quantities of rose water and pure glycerine and apply over dry skin with a cotton pad.

Rose water is also great for treating dark circles around the eye and reduces the puffy look.  Apply around your eyes, covering the dark circles for 15 minutes every day.

Rose water can be wonderfully soothing if applied over sunburned skin.

They say that regular application of rose water delays wrinkles, that it's a great idea to carry some homemade rose water in a small bottle inside your purse with some cotton pads. You won't need to carry any other cleansers nor moisturizers; and the mesmerizing fragrance of rose water will brighten your day.

COMBINATION OF BOTH ROSE WATER AND LEMON JUICE:
Rose water is an effective and gentle remedy for facial acne and blackhead.  Mix rose water with lemon juice, and apply all over the face, at least twice a week before bedtime.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 11:14:34 pm »

MashAllah, wow sis!  Love this post.  I had also been thinking of switching over to lemon juice as an astringent since long.  So far I've used an array of synthetic astringents from Shoppers Drug Mart.  It's hard to find anything without alcohol.  Even those without alcohol contain a load of chemicals.  And nothing less than $20, most above that, generally with short expiries of 3 to 4 months. Lemon juice replacing all that junk is the most fabulous improvement I can imagine.  I'm also swept away by the DIY rose water.  Many thanks.  This is the first time I learned how to prepare homemade rose water - the real rose water, wow!  It apparently requires a bit of work initially.  But it seems worthwhile every bit.  However, unless you grow roses in your yard or balcony-garden, DIY rose water wouldn't be that cheap if you're gonna need to buy a bunch of roses from a flower shop, right?
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 01:50:07 pm »

You're welcomed sis Smiley  While making rose water is initially a bit time consuming, you can certainly start with the lemon juice cleanser right away.

However, unless you grow roses in your yard or balcony-garden, DIY rose water wouldn't be that cheap if you're gonna need to buy a bunch of roses from a flower shop, right?

That's a good question for those who don't grow roses at home.  I guess cost depends where you buy them from. I've heard rose bouquets sold at Walmart are cheapest, like $15 or maybe less from which I think you could get enough rose water to fill a medium sized marmalade jar .. approximately.  Hence, though not as cheap as lemon, it's still cheaper than most synthetic stuff in stores.  If you look for non-alchol based astringents in places like Shoppers Drug Mart etc., you won't get anything less than $25 plus tax.  And even non-alcohol based astringents contain plenty of other chemicals, they aren't organic.

So far I haven't purchased any, always use the ones we grow in summer.  They might not look quite as pretty as the roses wrapped in bouquets but that's not important as long as they have enough fragrance.  You will be pulling off the petals anyway. 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 08:39:36 pm »

Hummm, okay.  In my case I'll have to buy the roses.  With the kind of crunch we're going through in our schedule because of increasing work load at our office cum lil factory, even if I buy a bouquet, making rose water feels a tedious task  Grin  InshAllah if any time in future Allah Almighty grants diy rose water in my kismet then I'll make it.  But right now I'll immediately switch over to lemon juice.

Btw, Sis Ruhi, do you know anything about drinking a lil lemon juice each day marvelous for health as I hear so much?  If so, what's the standard recipe?  I would like to start that too.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 09:12:24 pm »

Baw wow Sis! Smiley  It's lemon and honey with warm water. Super and delicious tonic!  In our household my mom, my hubby and me, all 3 of us take it every evening after dinner.  Instead of pumping caffeine into your system by sipping coffee or tea after a spicy evening meal, try this.  I tell you it's great tonic and above all, it isn't one of those insipid herbal tea-like stuff.  It tastes great too.

Here's how you make it, very easy .. no mess.
- 1 cup hot water (after it starts to boil)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp honey

Boil water and pour into mug.  Add lemon and honey and stir until mixed completely.  Enjoy.  Additionally floating a slice of lemon on your tonic enhances the lemony flavor.

It's excellent for the liver.  The pure vitamin C it contains is superb for the skin. It helps the digestive process greatly.  If you have a flu and cough, this tonic is the most recognized and popular home remedy for relief.  Generally, it makes you feel thoroughly cleansed from within.

However, don't overdo it.  Remember, honey contains glucose and too much of it can slow down the insulin production by the pancreas.  One cup a day is perfect!
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 12:34:02 am »

Woo-hoo Sis!  viictery  This is great.  Sorry I didn't drop by earlier we, the MV folks, have been so busy writing & responding on so many vital topics in our Quran board.  Alhumdulilah.  And lemon and honey cold tea, Alhumdulilah again!  My husband and my older kidos are crazy about lemon sherbet, that is, lemon with sugar and iced water.  I tell you folks, nothing more refreshing than that to beat the summer heat.  But honey sounds still better.  My mom-in-law often joins us in summer for those lemon sherbet feasts.  In Ramadan, I make a whole big jug every day for Iftar. 

However, good warning for those who are diabetic.  Honey needs to be avoided by diabetics as much as sugar.  By the Grace and Mercy of Allah, that illness hasn't yet afflicted anyone in my family but among my friends I know several who do.  Diabetes nowadays isn't too, too uncommon among kids either.  May Allah take care of us.  Ameen.

Thanks Sis Ruhi  Cheesy  You've given me a great idea.  From now on, and for summer Iftar, it's gonna be lemon & honey sherbet, not lemon and sugar  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: