Guests wanting to sign-up as members MUST first introduce themselves in detail at our Guestbook otherwise their registrations will be DELETED. THIS IS PRIMARILY A READ-ONLY FORUM RUN BY MV TEAM. Approval of members is at the discretion of the team. MV is a place for humble learning through mutual consultation, not for narcissists nor belligerent disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." AT PRESENT INTROS FOR MV TO BE AT OUR BLOG. VISIT OUR GUESTBOOK FOR CONNECTING LINK TO BLOG.
Muslim Villa
May 28, 2017, 06:12:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Islam Times (English)

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Need fresh cabbage coleslaw recipe

+-
Shoutbox
May 04, 2017, 05:35:01 am N. Truth Seeker: Alhumdulilah, Alhumdulilah.  Still 22 days left.  InshAllah we can thank Allah for granting us the opportunity to experience another of this blessed month for the betterment of our souls.  Thanks for mentioning Sister.
May 04, 2017, 05:20:37 am Ruhi_Rose: I can hardly keep track with the speed at which time flies.  Ramadan 2017 only 22 days away!
September 12, 2016, 03:17:09 am N. Truth Seeker: Wa salam sisters. So kind of u to remember. Alhumdulilah that Allah gave us another chance to live thru the blessed month of Zil Hajj.  Was a busy time for all of my family.
September 11, 2016, 08:26:43 am Zeynab: Wa'salaam my dear Sis Heba :)  Yes, Alhumdulilah, the 10 days of this blessed month went well by the Grace & Mercy of Allah. I wish the same for all.
September 11, 2016, 02:20:02 am Heba E. Husseyn: Salam my dear MV team and other sis and bros.  I pray the first 10 days of the bless month of Zil Hajj has passed well for all.  Hajj culminates in about 2 days. InshAllah.
August 22, 2016, 09:50:39 pm Zeynab: Wa'salam.  Thanks brother :)  Sis Heba helped me a lot too.
August 22, 2016, 09:33:50 pm N. Truth Seeker: Salam all.  MV Pinterest Boards are super, Alhumdulilah.
June 11, 2016, 06:35:43 am Zeynab: u r absolutely right sis Ruhi.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Need fresh cabbage coleslaw recipe  (Read 285 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: August 07, 2015, 12:15:10 am »

Family and me enjoying last few weeks of summer, Alhumdulilah.  Need fresh cabbage coleslaw recipe to have with french fries and homemade fried chicken.  Can anyone give a lead on that please?  ;)  :D
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 12:46:28 am »

Subhan'Allah, meo sis!  :D   May this happiness last forever  ;D   But unfortunately nay, summer is so short.   And yeah, cabbage coleslaw is our favorite too.  We usually take it with homemade chicken sandwiches, our patent office lunch in particular which my husband looks forward to :)

My recipe is very, very simple.  Others might make it differently.  But I'm mentioning the way I make it and my housefolks love it.

One cabbage shredded (I use savoy cabbage which is softer and easier to shred).
2 carrots, or if you want 3, shredded.
2 apples, skin and center removed and cut into small cubes.
salt and pepper.
Your favorite dressing, whichever you like.

Keep a salad bowl ready.  After you finish shredding the cabbage, put it in the bowl.  Add shredded carrots.  Mix it well with a wooden spoon for a minute or two.  Then add cubed apples, salt and pepper.  Mix for a minute.  Finally, add approximately 2 tb. sp. of your favorite salad dressing and fold in with the same wooden spoon gently for a couple of minutes until roughly mixed.  That's it!  You're done  :)  Enjoy!!

Looks very much like this:

Remember:  There can be plenty of variations.  You can also had boiled potato cubes, hard boiled eggs, chopped corriander, chopped bell pepper, avocado, cherry tomatoes etc.  However, cabbage needs to be a permanent ingredient because it's a 'cabbage coleslaw'  :D   In my opinion, along with cabbage add not more than 2 other items of your choice otherwise it will get too crowded and override the flavor of cabbage.
Report Spam   Logged

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be a friend.
Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 12:57:09 am »

MashAllah, it's precisely what I had in mind.  Many thanks as always me Sis.  Yeah, simple recipe is just what I welcome.  I think carrot and apple combination with cabbage sounds best for a start.

Btw, most dressings contain cheese and would that be Halal as they don't mention the use of rennet for cuddling milk for cheese?  I recall a few years ago Sister Zeynab put this question to br. Shabir Ally and he said salad dressings with cheese is okay.  Any latest feedback on that?
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 01:16:36 am »

You're welcomed Sis. 

Regarding the salad dressing with cheese, I would take it as Halal too.  You're right, Sister Zeynab contacted br. Shabbir and he said it's okay (at the following thread of our forum): http://muslimvilla.smfforfree.com/index.php?topic=280.0
If you buy a dressing containing cheese e.g. Ranch three cheese dressing by Kraft, they simply mention "parmesan cheese, cheddar and romano cheese (contains milk)."  No mention on whether bacterial culture/enzymes or rennet used.  In any case even if rennet is used it's in very small quantities.  Rennet is just an animal part (of young calf) from its stomach which is probably dunk in the milk for cuddling.  It's not something that's mixed with the milk in paste or powder form.  That's what I understand.  Cheese contains very small traces of the ingredient used for cuddling.  Cheese used in salad itself is so little, just for flavor.  Thus quantity of rennet (if at all used in cheesey dressings) would be much too negligible.  It obviously, quite definitely, would not come in the category of Haram foods.  I have seen so many practicing Muslims in traditional clothes buying and cheese flavored tortillas and cheetos, apparently with the same argument as stated by br. Shabbir accepting them as permissible. 
Report Spam   Logged

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be a friend.
Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 01:26:23 am »

Hummm, exactly.  Yes I had that thread in mind, thanks for the link.  I totally concur with your points.  Shukran again Sis.  InshAllah, will get on with my coleslaw tomorrow.  Btw, o yes, I too use savoy cabbage.  It's much easier to handle.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: