Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 07:37:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Verse 10:5 reveals the differing nature of light from sun and moon

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Verse 10:5 reveals the differing nature of light from sun and moon  (Read 1997 times)
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« on: November 05, 2015, 01:57:04 pm »

BismEm

As-Salam Alaikum, dear folks.

Something great to share!

Original Arabic transliteration -
huwa alladhī jaʿala l-shamsa ḍiyāan wal-qamara nūran waqaddarahu manāzila litaʿlamū ʿadada l-sinīna wal-ḥisāba   (Verse 10:5)  Surah Yunus.

"He (is) the One Who made the sun a shining light, and the moon a reflected light and determined for it phases, that you may know (the) number (of) the years and the count (of time)."  [10:5] Noble Quran.  Translation by Corpus Quran (word-by-word).

The word "diyaan" means lamp or candle (giving shinning light) and shams is sun.  "l-shamsa diyaan" means the shining light of the sun just as a lamp would give its light.  The Arabic word "qamara" means moon and "nuran" alludes to reflected light.  In this case it refers to an object that reflects light, which is the moon.  This aspect isn't clarified in the translations of Pickthall nor Abdel Haleem.  Both have translated that portion as "and the moon a light,".  The term diyaan (in conversation it's also pronounced as 'zia' .. the 'z' sound often pronounced as 'd' in Arabic) refers to an indigenous source of light. The term nuran comes from 'nur' which means light, as you would know.  This basically denotes the brightness found in a place, atmosphere or thing, implying that the brightness is from a light coming from another source.   Thus, "l-shamsa diyaan wal-qamara nuran" = "sun a shining light, and the moon a reflected light"

Beautiful!

So, what do you understand from this?  Yes .. it's one of the many scientific accuracies of the Noble Quran which elucidated 1,437 years ago that the sun gives out its own light while the light of the moon is a reflection.

Kindly send this around.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 02:38:22 pm »

Wa'salaam Sis.  Glad you're back.  Hope you enjoyed the break with your family, InshAllah. 

This is very useful info.  Corpus Quran can really help to understand the Quran more accurately and I think it's a necessity to have it along with the regular translation one reads routinely.  The word-by-word translation in Corpus Quran is according to the grammatical inferences of Arabic words & expressions of the Noble Quran which really helps to grasp the Quranic contents more precisely in accordance with the context of every Verse.

It's an excellent scientific accuracy of the Noble Quran .... as you rightly said, one of the many.  It's very necessary to send this information around.

Many thanks Sister Heba.   Allah bless.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 02:48:13 pm »

Thanks Sis Zeynab.  Yeah, it was a nice and much needed break for all of us.  Thank Allah.  InshAllah will send you some holiday pics on email.

I'm glad you appreciate this post.  Yes, it surely needs to be shared.  I've already sent it around to all in my email list.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 04:00:29 am »

Walaykum As-Salam and welcome back Sister Heba.

Subhan'Allah, how superbly The Almighty expounds the Truth.  Though at that time people couldn't have understood it, it's unfolded perfectly in modern times - unclouded and unambiguous!  Alhumdulilah.

You know, few months ago we were discussing about the mention of the moon in the Quran, and we found that it's mentioned 28 times in total.  I have made a note of most of those 28 Verses.  InshAllah I'll return in a day or two, quoting all of those 28 Verses and wherever the moon is connected with light, the Noble Quran gives absolutely NO reasons to presume that the moon ever gives its own light.

InshAllah will post all 28 Verses for readers' information soon.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 04:04:10 am »

Many thanks Brother TS.

That would be great if you could quote all 28 Verses where the Quran mentions the moon.  Waiting for your next post in this thread, InshAllah.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 05:00:24 am »

Salams all.  I'm back with the info.

Altogether the word "moon" (l-qamara, wal-qamari, wal-qamaru .. the variation in Arabic depends on the grammar of the original Arabic Verse) is mentioned in the Noble Quran 28 times.  Wherever there is a reference of light or brightness connected with the moon, there are no statements to denote that the moon in an indigenous source of light, unlike the sun, which is metaphorically consistently referred to as a "lamp" (sirajan) which is a clear hint on the sun giving off its own light.  The very plain and explicit inference that appears in repeated Quranic Verses on the moon is that it glows with light coming from out.

Following are the total 28 Verses in the Quran mentioning the term "moon."  All those Verses where the light concerning the moon is described are highlighted yellow.   I've also highlighted a couple of nice reminders in green.

And when he saw the moon uprising, he exclaimed: This is my Lord. But when it set, he said: Unless my Lord guide me, I surely shall become one of the folk who are astray.  6:77.

He is the Cleaver of the Daybreak, and He hath appointed the night for stillness, and the sun and the moon for reckoning. That is the measuring of the Mighty, the Wise. 6:96.

Lo! your Lord is Allah Who created the heavens and the earth in six Days,  ....... and hath made the sun and the moon and the stars subservient by His command.   7:54.

He it is Who appointed the sun a splendour and the moon a light,   10:5
This is the Verse 10:5 quoted in the original post of this thread by Sister Heba.

When Joseph said unto his father: O my father! Lo! I saw in a dream eleven planets and the sun and the moon,  12:4.

Allah it is Who raised up the heavens without visible supports, then mounted the Throne, and compelled the sun and the moon to be of service, each runneth unto an appointed term;   13:2

And maketh the sun and the moon, constant in their courses, 14:33.

And He hath constrained the night and the day and the sun and the moon to be of service unto you,   16:12

And He it is Who created the night and the day, and the sun and the moon. They float, each in an orbit.  21:33

Hast thou not seen that unto Allah payeth adoration whosoever is in the heavens and whosoever is in the earth, and the sun, and the moon, and the stars, and the hills, and the trees, and the beasts, and many of mankind, while there are many unto whom the doom is justly due.   22:18.

Blessed be He Who hath placed in the heaven mansions of the stars, and hath placed therein a great lamp and a moon giving light!   25:61
Corpus Quran translation:
"Blessed is He Who has placed in the skies constellations (burujan) and has placed therein and has placed therein a lamp (sirajan) and a moon (waqamaran) shining (muniran)."
Hence "giving light" as translated commonly by many isn't quite the right translation.  The term used in the Quran is "muniran" which means shining [or anything that shines].  The expression "giving light" as in translations is vastly different from the original "shining" (muniran).  'giving light' denotes its own light, while a shining object can mean either giving off its own light or reflecting light from another source.  In this Verse it is the latter.

And if thou wert to ask them: Who created the heavens and the earth, and constrained the sun and the moon (to their appointed work) ? they would say: Allah. How then are they turned away ?  29:61.

and hath subdued the sun and the moon (to do their work), each running unto an appointed term;  31:29.

He hath subdued the sun and moon to service. Each runneth unto an appointed term. Such is Allah, your Lord; His is the Sovereignty; and those unto whom ye pray instead of Him own not so much as the white spot on a date-stone.   35:13.

And for the moon We have appointed mansions till she return like an old shrivelled palm-leaf.  36:39.

It is not for the sun to overtake the moon, nor doth the night outstrip the day. They float each in an orbit.  36:40.

He hath created the heavens and the earth with truth. He maketh night to succeed day, and He maketh day to succeed night, and He constraineth the sun and the moon to give service, each running on for an appointed term. Is not He the Mighty, the Forgiver ?   39:5.

And of His portents are the night and the day and the sun and the moon. Adore not the sun not the moon; but adore Allah Who created them, if it is in truth Him Whom ye worship.  41:37.
This above Verse is the most important reminder so I've highlighted it too.

The Hour has come near, and the moon has split (in two).  54:1

The sun and the moon are made punctual. 55:5.

See ye not how Allah hath created seven heavens in harmony,  And hath made the moon a light therein, and made the sun a lamp ?  71:15-16.
Corpus Quran translation:
"Do not you see how did create Allah (the) seven heavens (in) layers and made the moon (l-qamara) therein a light (nuran) and made the sun (l-shamsa) a lamp (l-sirajan)?"
Thus, you will notice that in whichever Verses metaphorical terms are used for the sun and the moon, the sun is compared with an object that is known to give out its own light while the moon is simply referred to as a bright, shining or lighted object leaving the margin for humans to discover that the brightness or glow of this object (the moon or qamar) is derived or reflected light.

Nay, by the Moon   74:32.

And the moon is eclipsed   75:8

And sun and moon are united,   75:9.
Reference in the above 2 Verses is the Day of Judgement when the sun and the moon have run their appointed term ordained by Allah Almighty.

And by the moon when she is at the full,  84:18.

By the sun and his brightness,
And the moon when she followeth him,91:1-2.

Unlike the sun, nowhere is it stated nor metaphorically alluded that the moon gives its own light. 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 04:16:34 am »

Wa'salam.  This is wonderfully helpful brother.  May Allah Almighty bless you in plenty for this hard work.   I'm totally aware how the Islamophobes have ignorantly and persistently misinterpreted this aspect.  The clarification is simple and in abundance.  One only needs to read and understand the Beautiful Quran.  It's the preconditioned misguided minds or those with very scant education who  are unable to perceive and thus go wrong.

I must save this and would suggest the same to others.

Many thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 04:26:53 am »

Walaikum As-Salaam dear sister and brother.  Here is some additional input about this excellent post. 

I put it up at Facebook too and was much appreciated.  Only trouble-maker tried to pick up an argument but couldn't.   Let me share that recent experience for the purpose of further clarifying Verse 10:5 to our readers. 

First that bugger commented after my post, saying "I think youre being far too generous with the translation."   Then he deleted his own comment .. an obvious sign of his own lack of confidence realizing his incorrectness but his ego didn't allow him to say that. 

Anyhow, I quoted his deleted comment and clarified using part of Sister Heba and Br. TS's text as follows, quote:

QUOTE -
"Someone who apparently has no idea of the original left a comment here stating "I think youre being far too generous with the translation" and then deleted it. Let me briefly clarify lest others too misunderstand similarly.

The term 'diyaan' (in conversation also pronounced as 'ziya' .. the 'z' often pronounced as 'd' in Arabic) refers to an indigenous source of light. The word 'nuran' comes from 'nur' which means simply light and denotes the brightness or glow found in a place, atmosphere or thing implying light coming from another source.
Hence: "l-shamsa diyaan wal-qamara nuran" = "sun a shining light, and the moon a derived or reflected light"

In total there are 28 Verses in which the Noble Quran mentions "moon" ((l-qamara, wal-qamari, wal-qamaru .. the variation in Arabic depends on the grammatical construction of the original Arabic Verse). Wherever there is a reference of light or brightness connected with the moon, there are no statements to denote that the moon is an indigenous source of light, unlike the sun, which is metaphorically referred to as a "lamp" (sirajan). Kindly also check the Corpus Quran that contains word-by-word translation on the precise grammatical context of every Verse. This one clarifies V.10:5.
http://corpus.quran.com/wordbyword.jsp?chapter=10&verse=5... "
UNQUOTE -

I deleted the guy from my friends' list.  So he sent me an inbox message, as all crooks do, saying the following, quote ..

QUOTE -
"The point being that by the 7th century the world was quite was quite well aware of how the moon reflected the light of the sun.  people observed the shadow of the sun over the moon during an eclipse 1000 years prior and knew what was going on.  Dont try to pass it on as a miraculous revelation.  It wasnt.  But I thought whatever, not worth making an issue over.  Believe whatever you want..."
UNQUOTE -

He apparently didn't mind making a pointless issue out of it in my inbox but had no guts to face the public as my post got dozens of 'likes' and my clarification was also greatly appreciated.  He sensed that, deleted his comment and opted not to have a dialogue in the public board.   I replied to the kaffir saying regardless of his "point," no one in their right mind would be comfortable with someone consumed with hate for the Great Quran as himself meddling with their posts.  And that I would surely believe in what I perceived as true and appropriate and did not need his permission for that.  Then I blocked the sicko as it's pointless talking to such heathens surrounded with so much of darkness.

But let me give a solid reply here to his babbling in my inbox, to make sure anyone of our guest or member readers who nurture similar misguided ideas may get a chance to correct themselves.

According to that Facebook kaffir, people in the 7th century knew the moon reflects the sun's light.  That is a very generalized statement and needs lots of explaining, but I'll try to keep it as brief as I can. 

FIRST, apart from the fact that many modernists randomly attribute basic scientific findings to ancient Greeks, claims of Anaxagoras (supposedly a "philosopher and scientific explorer" in Athens) first discovering in approximately 450 BC that the moon reflected the sun's light does NOT mean the entire world in 450 BC knew about it, let alone everyone in 7th century Arabia.  This is on the presumption that Anaxagoras actually said it, which itself is unproven.  But even if he did mention it, we are talking about an era when there were no newspapers, no printing presses for mass publication of research, no TVs, no internet, no cell phones .. not even quick methods of travel for rapid spread of information like cars, trains or air planes and of course no widespread literacy among the masses with the awareness of preserving important information.  This is true not only concerning ancient Greece but the entire world at that period and for centuries to follow.  Almost all intellectual theories stated by ancient Greek thinkers - some correct and some incorrect - remained as written pieces for a limited number of years only within the intellectual circles of their cities or towns, and only to get destroyed or lost by invasions or the passage of time.  Many were also destroyed by their own governments followed by persecutions who saw such perceptions as heresy or an attempt to awaken the public.  So, if someone somewhere in Greece asserted in 500 BC or 400 BC that the moon reflected the sun's light, that had no bearing on the knowledge and awareness of people elsewhere in the world, be it Europe, Middle-East, Central Asia, China, Japan etc.  And no one on this side of the globe even knew of the existence of the American continent.  There might have also been some native Americans who came up with similar intellectual conjectures as possibilities in prehistoric ages only to be forgotten with the passage of time within their own community. 

SECONDLY, at the time when the Quran was revealed in the Arabian peninsula in 7th century, even the Jews of Arabia who were considered the educated ones, had no idea who Anaxagora was nor what he may have studied.  The pagans had absolutely no clue whatsoever.  People of the Arabian peninsula and all over the Middle-East didn't know a word of Greek, as they don't even today.  And back in those days, there was no concept of mass translations of scientific studies in Arabic.  The Noble Quran was the first Book which was handwritten in large numbers after it was arranged into chapters and compiled by Umar bin Khattab and completed by Usman bin Affan soon after the passing of the Prophet (pbuh).  The work of translating the original Divine Quran from Arabic to other languages began later.  And the practice of translating academic works of human authors or thinkers from other languages into Arabic began still later.

THIRDLY, even if you presume that ancient Greeks or Arabs before the advent of Islam did know that the moon reflected the sun's light, in what way does that discredit the assertion of Verse 10:5 is something that kaffir never bothered to explain.  All celestial matters we refer to as "scientific" discoveries are laws of the universe preordained and pre-constructed by Allah Almighty.  If some human 'intellect' discovers some such scientific aspect in 500 BC (or whenever), that person is simply finding out a truth which Allah had already implemented millions or possibly billions of years earlier.  But these kuffar have limited minds which also limits their ability to comprehend.  To pacify their own guilty souls, they try to put Islam and science on a collision course as if they can inform Allah of something about the universe which He doesn't know already, when He, and NONE else, is the Sole Creator of everything.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 04:53:11 am »

What a wonderful illustration!  Subhan'Allah again and again.  'My Focus' at Pinterest looks great and is getting lots of followers.  My kids, nieces and nephews visit it very often.

I thank you dear Sis Zeynab for your incredibly illuminating explanation to that hate-filled kaffir.  He will fit like a glove in places such as AI and its likes.

I have saved the points you expressed along with my piece, in case I too am attacked by some similar unthinking creatures.

Btw, who was this bugger ...... a non-Muslim or a labelled "Muslim" ??
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 05:02:30 am »

Many thanks for the appreciation my Sis.  Allah bless you and your family.

That bugger was druze or so he called himself .... so he surely cannot be called a Muslim.  Druze in the middle-east are similarly distant from Islam as Ismailis in south asia, except that Ismailis are a very peaceful and quiet community, not at all belligerent and not political and therefore not at all a problem for others.  Druze are the type who thrive on their nuisance value.  There are lots of druze in Israel helping the Israeli govt.  The druze also played a major role in Sabra & Chatila massacre of Palestinians orchestrated by Zionist Israel in early 1980s.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 05:08:29 am »

Ah!  druze ..... no wonder.  Na, not Muslim by any stretch of the imagination.  Actually very few of the druze community can also be called educated.  But they should at least learn to respect others ...... especially not spew the type of hogwash as this goat did.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 05:21:27 am »

lol ,, I always knew druze had limited perception, but this guy takes the cake!   It's easy to read how he tries to maneuver his own point.  On your  timeline he wrote that the translation was "generous."  Then he removed it himself.  When he put his second comment in the inbox, he picked up another issue claiming this scientific phenomenon was known prior to Islam.  What makes him think that only V.10:5 is expressing a "miraculous revelation."  Let the druze ranter know that the entire Quran is a miracle.  Whenever humans discovered or discover the various scientific or non-scientific facts is insignificant.  The Quran is the only complete collection of all FACTS.  Let the jealousy of the druze be on his own head.  The Day of Judgement is coming closer with passing of each day.

Many thanks Sister Zeynab for the other great illustration as well, and the important elucidation of facts you expressed as a response to that kaffir.  I too will save your piece with the entire info in this thread. 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 05:24:34 am »

It's easy to read how he tries to maneuver his own point.  On your  timeline he wrote that the translation was "generous."  Then he removed it himself.  When he put his second comment in the inbox, he picked up another issue claiming this scientific phenomenon was known prior to Islam.  What makes him think that only V.10:5 is expressing a "miraculous revelation."  Let the druze ranter know that the entire Quran is a miracle.  Whenever humans discovered or discover the various scientific or non-scientific facts is insignificant.  The Quran is the only complete collection of all FACTS.  Let the jealousy of the druze be on his own head.  The Day of Judgement is coming closer with passing of each day.

Very correctly observed brother TS.  These lunatics are just so smug ..... and these are the type who often preach the importance of egalitarian values to others.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 05:32:51 am »

Yes br. TS.  That was a very precise observation.  The guy himself isn't sure what exactly he wants to rant about ... it's just the hatred they are consumed with because they see the Quran as an obstacle to their daily violations and their complete negligence of human morals.  As long as they mind their own business is enough for others.  But they don't even do that much.  Allah will deal with them on the Day they are raised.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 05:34:06 am »

Exactly sister.  Ameen.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: