Guests wanting to sign-up as members MUST first introduce themselves in detail at our Guestbook otherwise their registrations will be DELETED. Approval of members is at the discretion of the team. MV is a place for humble learning through mutual consultation, not for narcissists nor belligerent disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism."
Muslim Villa
December 16, 2017, 03:19:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

V.3:179 - Did messengers know the unseen?

+-
Shoutbox
November 09, 2017, 04:26:36 am Heba E. Husseyn: Please pray for Rohingya children. As genocide in Buddhist Burma continues, many Rohingya children arriving in Bangladesh camps don't know where their parents are. May the Burmese murderer-terrorist Su Kyi rot in Hell.
June 21, 2017, 07:42:01 am Zeynab: Shukran sis Heba.  Allah Bless. Ameen.
June 21, 2017, 07:39:56 am Heba E. Husseyn: Leialtul Qadr Mubarak.  For details on Leilatul Qadr please read MV post Leila-tul-Qadr
May 04, 2017, 05:35:01 am N. Truth Seeker: Alhumdulilah, Alhumdulilah.  Still 22 days left.  InshAllah we can thank Allah for granting us the opportunity to experience another of this blessed month for the betterment of our souls.  Thanks for mentioning Sister.
May 04, 2017, 05:20:37 am Ruhi_Rose: I can hardly keep track with the speed at which time flies.  Ramadan 2017 only 22 days away!
September 12, 2016, 03:17:09 am N. Truth Seeker: Wa salam sisters. So kind of u to remember. Alhumdulilah that Allah gave us another chance to live thru the blessed month of Zil Hajj.  Was a busy time for all of my family.
September 11, 2016, 08:26:43 am Zeynab: Wa'salaam my dear Sis Heba Smiley  Yes, Alhumdulilah, the 10 days of this blessed month went well by the Grace & Mercy of Allah. I wish the same for all.
September 11, 2016, 02:20:02 am Heba E. Husseyn: Salam my dear MV team and other sis and bros.  I pray the first 10 days of the bless month of Zil Hajj has passed well for all.  Hajj culminates in about 2 days. InshAllah.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: V.3:179 - Did messengers know the unseen?  (Read 160 times)
N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

Badges: (View All)
« on: January 05, 2016, 06:15:00 am »

BismEm

"And it is not (the purpose of) Allah to let you know the Unseen. But Allah chooseth of His messengers whom He will, (to receive knowledge thereof). So believe in Allah and His messengers. If ye believe and ward off (evil), yours will be a vast reward"  (3:179) Al-Imraan.

The other day, a friend of my uncle was claiming that this Verse indicates all messengers (or prophets) knew the unseen. I didn't argue with him because I knew he was wrong as his claim did not conform with the declarations stated throughout the Quran. The Noble Quran clearly asserts that Allah makes none to share His Government (V.18:26) and that the keys of the invisible are with Him only, no one else knows them (V.6:59).  And many other Verses express the same concept. 

I would only appreciate if someone took the time to mention how they would interpret this Verse - 3:179.
Report Spam   Logged

HE WHO KNEELS BEFORE ALLAH CAN
STAND BEFORE ANYONE.

Social Buttons

Zeynab
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 06:16:57 am »

You're absolutely right brother.  No one but Allah Almighty is aware of the unseen.  Your uncle's friend was totally wrong on that.  That person has apparently misunderstood the following Quranic sentence of V.3:179 "But Allah chooseth of His messengers whom He will, (to receive knowledge thereof)." This line does not mean that all messengers knew the unseen.  It refers to the Revelations of Allah sent to His messengers, sometimes through the angel, sometimes through inspiration and as in the case of Prophet Moses, Allah communicated directly with him.  Receiving any Divine Message or Portent is of course a very special occurrence of the unseen by the Will of Allah, in which He bestows specific information to His  messengers for the purpose of guidance of humanity and for communicating with them for necessary reasons.   That's it.  This doesn't mean that the messengers knew everything about the unseen.  They surely knew more than the common people because they were the chosen ones.  However, compared to whatever of the unseen the messengers knew with the permission of Allah, there was much more which they did not know by the Will of Allah.  This Verse only refers to whatever Allah Himself chose to tell His messengers which was definitely selected information for particular purposes.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 06:19:59 am »

A mighty thanks Sister.  I had similar explanation in my mind but yours is more comprehensive.  I thought maybe it refers only to those interactions where Allah communicated with His messengers directly as in the case of Moses ..... and maybe with few other messengers of which we don't know.  But as you mentioned, it apparently refers to every method of communication by Allah with His messengers, mostly Revelations of His Messages.
Report Spam   Logged

HE WHO KNEELS BEFORE ALLAH CAN
STAND BEFORE ANYONE.
Zeynab
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 06:21:03 am »

You're very welcomed brother ....
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print