Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 29, 2024, 01:38:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Is lottery Haram?

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Is lottery Haram?  (Read 959 times)
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« on: February 02, 2016, 02:03:00 am »

BismEm

It sure is.  So let's discuss it calmly to understand why.

A heated argument arose between two sisters (longtime friends of mine) in our email chain discussions.  One sister said it's not Haram if one buys a lottery ticket occasionally.  The other one said, occasionally or not, it's Haram.  I must say, I agree with the latter.  Yes, occasionally or not, lottery is surely Haram.  It falls in the category of gambling or games of chance which has been firmly asserted in the Noble Quran as Haram.

There are also some Muslims who convince themselves into accepting that participation in lotteries becomes Halal if it's done with the intention of spending for Halal causes or on Islamic projects, if they are lucky enough to win substantial or lots of money.  This approach too is incorrect.  Even if their spending plans are Halal, their modus operandi of acquiring that money is Haram because it's gambling .. a game of chance.  There's no point in performing a Halal act with the help of another act that's Haram.  It's very likely that the legitimacy or the benefits of that Halal act could be negated in the Sight of Allah because it has a Haram foundation.  In Verse 2:219 Allah states that gambling and consumption of alcohol, are both sinful acts along with some advantages for mankind.  But the downside, that is, the sin, is greater than their advantages or benefits.

"They ask you (O Muhammad) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: ‘In them is a great sin, and (some) benefits for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit."
(Al-Baqarah 2:219)

This Verse presents a strong logical argument that despite whatever pleasure or monetary gains you may derive, both gambling and drinking are a sin and therefore Haram.  If a group or entity wants to organize a lottery or participate in it for charitable purposes, can they not utilize their creativity and resources to establish a more respectful organization to generate money for helping the needy?  Must it be by means of tantalizing or attracting people via the trend of gambling?

Here is another very serious point which those who want to justify lottery need to reflect upon.  Focus on Verse 5:90.

"O ye who believe! Strong drink and games of chance and idols and divining arrows are only an infamy of Satan's handiwork. Leave it aside in order that ye may succeed."  (5:90  Al-Maidah).

Try to focus on the words of the Verse above and ask yourself what you observe?  "Strong drink and games of chance" refer to alcohol and gambling which are confirmed as Haram in synchronicity with two of the biggest sins which are idol (or idol worship) and the practice of divining arrows.  Thus, even if anyone claims that they are gambling to spend the money on good causes (be it lottery or whatever form of gambling), those good causes get washed away because the source of that money belongs to the highest category of sins.

To know the details of the Haram pagan custom of divining arrows, read our post:  "What does "divining arrows" mean in Verses 5:3 and 5:90?"

Highlighting a point we discussed in the first paragraph of this post, if you want to analyze why lottery or any form of gambling poses a risk to a person's character even if it's practiced once in a while, you will perceive some very solid reasons for it.  As already mentioned, some people claim that buying a lottery ticket once in a while is not Haram because they think it is just a random practice not a habit.  That perception is discrepant.  Claiming that you gamble sometimes not always and so it's not Haram is a bit like saying that drinking once in a while is okay but not everyday.  Or, it's equivalent to saying that committing zina occasionally is okay but not regularly.  Totally absurd, isn't it??!!  All such arguments are flatly WRONG and the same applies to gambling.  Whatever is forbidden in the Quran is simply Haram or prohibited.  Whether committed rarely or regularly doesn't effect the enormity of the sin.  The sin remains enormous either way.  That sin must NOT be committed at all.  After all, those people who occasionally indulge in wrongdoing are the ones who later become slaves of their bad habits.  Indulging in a sin occasionally is how trouble starts.  Therefore never put yourself at the doorstep of such a risk.  Just stay away from whatever Allah has clearly spelled out as Haram.  Allah's Judgement is far superior to ours and His rulings are for the betterment of our own souls.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 02:16:19 am »

Salam and spot on Sister.  Really nice read.  Sure I agree with every bit you articulated in this post.  Just one query pops into my mind.  What if the lottery pick is about something other than money?  E.g. If some country organizes a national 'lottery' for picking future immigrants through a lucky draw?  I mean, their names are selected as candidates for immigration through a draw but NO so-called lucky numbers involved.  Or, few hundreds of people are called for jury selection and only 10 or 12 to be selected by a similar pick?   What's your view on that?
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 02:31:04 am »

Wa'salam sis Ruhi.  Personally I don't see a problem in that.  It's like applying for a job but instead of getting it on your merits, you're selected as a matter of chance.  Corruption of attitude such as obsession or addiction develops when money or intoxicants come into the picture.  I don't think anyone has such a weak character that merely applying for immigration or reporting for jury selection through 'lucky draw' would lure them to becoming habitual gamblers buying lotto tickets every week.   However, the aspect you asked about is certainly unfair knowing that there are people who have studied and worked to acquire academic qualifications and job experiences only to be rejected because their name wasn't in the pick while someone else comparatively incompetent might be selected instead.  That's because the very system of lucky draw does not conform with the concept of justice.  However, in my opinion, if the issue of money is not involved then it should be okay.  And only Allah knows best. 
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 02:34:24 am »

Thanks me sis!  Again very well expounded.  I was thinkin on similar lines, just wanted to confirm.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 02:36:08 am »

very welcomed sista!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 03:40:58 am »

Interesting read.  Sister Heba, another query. Not that I know of anyone who has been in this situation but just asking. Sometimes smaller winning numbers are sold inside certain snacks like chips, candy packets, pop corn pacs or cokes etc.  What if someone buys one of these snacks with no intention of playing lottery nor with any knowledge of finding it there.  So, let's say someone buys a pack of chips, finds a scratch & win game and discovers that it's the winning number.  Would it be okay for that person to claim it as a one time win with the understanding that they're confident never to make it a habit ever?   
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 03:59:28 am »

Indeed that's a good query Sis.  You're right, such a happening is possible with people who have absolutely no intentions of gambling.  Also, if they unexpectedly win, the money might be a source of one-time financial help to them.  And if they are convinced within themselves that they won't make it a habit and they really don't, then it's possible that if they claim that money they might not be at fault in the Sight of Allah nor will they be at fault if they don't claim it.  That's the way I look at it because after all the Noble Quran repeatedly conveys the concept that plenty depends upon a person's intentions.  I realize that an unplanned lottery win in this manner is not the same as the approach of those who repeatedly keep buying lottery tickets every month or every week.  Of course Allah knows best the answer to your question and I suppose it would vary from person to person depending on their intent.  But in my view, maybe what you asked is okay. 
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 04:03:46 am »

Thanks for the very rational view-point dear Sister Heba.  I was thinking on very similar lines but was interested to know what precisely might be your opinion. 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 04:07:11 am »

You're welcomed Sis Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

DannyT

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 05:53:44 am »

Great discussions sisters. Quite obviously I had to ask my burning question along similar lines. Would it be haram to trade in shares, commodities, foreign exchange online? Sometimes people invest in company shares on a long term basis (5+ years)  and other times they may buy and sell what's called paper gold, silver, oil, sugar one hour and sell it the next hour coz the market value  has appreciated.
There is also another way of trading paper commodities is selling short, where you borrow shares from a broker at given price say 10£,  two days later the price drops to 8£, you buy the shares at 8£ and give them back to the broker and keep the 2£ profit per share. Would this be haram or is this just smart trading?  I gave heard that Any gain that is someone else's loss is haram but I am not 100% sure this is from the Quran. Jzk sisters and salamun Alaikum.
Report Spam   Logged
Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 11:18:55 am »

This kind of transaction sounds fine to me, brother.  For instance, a person wants to sell his house.  Real estate market is sluggish.  So he waits for a couple of years, if it gets any better.  Home prices rise 40% in 2 years.  So he sells his house for a much greater price he would expect 2 years earlier.  Obviously he gains cause it's the seller's market; and the one belonging to the buyer's market loses as he would pay a lot less if he purchased it 2 years earlier.  This kind of profit & loss isn't gambling.  I don't see it that way at all. It's simply being careful and watchful to get the best deal.  And that's certainly not Haram unless one is purposely trying to hurt the other person by cheating or intentional wrong advise etc. 
Report Spam   Logged

DannyT

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 06:05:22 pm »

Jzk sis R for clearing that up. Salamun Alaikum
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: