Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 29, 2024, 07:34:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The gossip that "Cats are Jinn"?

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The gossip that "Cats are Jinn"?  (Read 1571 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: May 13, 2016, 11:30:42 am »

😅
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 11:43:48 am »

Big false gossip!

But this pic is priceless!   Cheesy Grin Cheesy    love it .....
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 04:10:33 am »

heheehe heheh .. great stuff !!   Love it too ... the pic I mean.  My kids were really amused.  One of my daughters asked right away that "if this giffy isn't a photoshop, then could this cat be a jin?"  referring to those old grandma tales with jinn coming in the form of cats particularly black cats.  I said no sweety, cats - black or whatever color - aren't jinn.  Jinn are separate beings.  And this is just a cute, cute photoshop Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 04:24:33 am »

lol .... that was a very interesting conversation  Grin    I too have heard many of those cat-jin myths.  Glad you clarified it sis.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 09:35:20 am »

......  One of my daughters said that if this giffy isn't a photoshop, then could this cat be a jin? ... you know, referring to those old grandma tales on cats being jinn, rather jinn coming in the form of cats particularly black cats.  I said no sweety, cats - black or whatever color - aren't jinn.  Jinn are separate beings.  And this is just a cute, cute photoshop Cheesy

😄  Where did your daughter hear it from?  It's really a very old and common grandma's tale .. going around since my parents' generation were kids.  A grand-aunt of mine (mom's aunt) had a weirdly hilarious story on the cat-jin issue which my mother learned from her as a child.  She claimed to have seen a cat sitting right outside the window of her bedroom wearing a hat, smoking a cigarette and waving at her with a smile.  She stared at the cat in shock and then within a few seconds a horde of cats - about 20 or 30 of them - appeared from nowhere and sat around the one with hat and cigarette.  According to my grand-aunt, she exclaimed in utter amazement "so many cats!"  When she said that, all the cats replied in a chorus and with a somewhat nasal sound, "what so many cats?"  And then she shut the window and probably didn't look out for several days.  Though the old lady was my mom's favorite aunt, mom admitted that her aunt could be categorized as a tall-story teller  Cheesy 

In a nutshell, jinn are definitely a reality.  But the cat-jin connection isn't.

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 09:58:00 am »

😄  Where did your daughter hear it from?  It's really a very old and common grandma's tale .. going around since my parents' generation were kids.  A grand-aunt of mine (mom's aunt) had a weirdly hilarious story on the cat-jin issue which my mother learned from her as a child.  She claimed to have seen a cat sitting right outside the window of her bedroom wearing a hat, smoking a cigarette and waving at her with a smile.  She stared at the cat in shock and then within a few seconds a horde of cats - about 20 or 30 of them - appeared from nowhere and sat around the one with hat and cigarette.  According to my grand-aunt, she exclaimed in utter amazement "so many cats!"  When she said that, all the cats replied in a chorus and with a somewhat nasal sound, "what so many cats?"  And then she shut the window and probably didn't look out for several days.  Though the old lady was my mom's favorite aunt, mom admitted that her aunt could be categorized as a tall-story teller  Cheesy  Hence, for my parents and all of us, it was more of a joke than a reality.

HysLaugh   This top-notch one even beats the hadith.  If someone had really experienced such a spectacle, they would have fainted on the spot and not just shut the window behind them and walked away calmly.  As for my daughter, she too heard it from one of her grandaunts.  Two of my aunts (my mother's sisters) have quite a rich collection of similar tales and old chestnuts ideal as bedtime stories to cheer up the kids on week nights getting depressed at the thought of going to school next morning.  Though our kids are no longer that little to be told bedtime stories, the ones they heard in the past still linger in the mind .... with nonchalant air fortunately.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 10:11:47 am »

This top-notch one even beats the hadith.  If someone had really experienced such a spectacle, they would have fainted on the spot and not just shut the window behind them and walked away calmly. 

Exactly ....

As for my daughter, she too heard it from one of her grandaunts.  Two of my aunts (my mother's sisters) have quite a rich collection of similar tales and old chestnuts ideal as bedtime stories to cheer up the kids on week nights getting depressed at the thought of going to school next morning.  Though our kids are no longer that little to be told bedtime stories, the ones they heard in the past still linger in the mind .... with nonchalant air fortunately.

hummm  Smiley   just as long as such myths told to kids are later washed away from their minds by truthful teachings is fine.  With both you and your husband being very educated parents focused exclusively on the truth of the Noble Quran, I'm sure your children will have no problems recognizing tales as they get older.  And then one might just recall them as past memories for fun. 

If our readers want to know the truth, I quote what you briefly stated . "cats - black or whatever color - aren't jinn.  Jinn are separate beings."  Precisely.  Jinn are a separate creation.  Whether or not Jinn can make their appearance visible is possible but the real truth about it is only known to Allah.  Also, whether or not Jinn can change their appearance and masquerade as humans or animals is also known to Allah only.  Allah has not mentioned it in the Noble Quran.  Thus those dramatic narrations on cats interpreted as jinn wearing hats, caps and puffing cigarettes etc. got to be taken as tales as Allah states in the Quran that we are not to accept anything of which we have no knowledge.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 10:21:02 am »

hummm  Smiley   just as long as such myths told to kids are later washed away from their minds by truthful teachings is fine.  With both you and your husband being very educated parents focused exclusively on the truth of the Noble Quran, I'm sure your children will have no problems recognizing tales as they get older.  And then one might just recall them as past memories for fun. 

Yes Sis.  Thank you.  Alhumdulilah, we try our level best to keep them on the path of Truth and by the Grace of Allah we have so far succeeded wonderfully.  May Allah, The Greatest, continue to shower us with such privileges.  Ameen.

If our readers want to know the truth, I quote what you briefly stated . "cats - black or whatever color - aren't jinn.  Jinn are separate beings."  Precisely.  Jinn are a separate creation.  Whether or not Jinn can make their appearance visible is possible but the real truth about it is only known to Allah.  Also, whether or not Jinn can change their appearance and masquerade as humans or animals is also known to Allah only.  Allah has not mentioned it in the Noble Quran.  Thus those dramatic narrations on cats interpreted as jinn wearing hats, caps and puffing cigarettes etc. got to be taken as tales as Allah states in the Quran that we are not to accept anything of which we have no knowledge.

Very explicit summary.  Thanks again Sis.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 10:54:19 am »

The supposed cat jin connection is one of the oldest and strangest myths.  I don't know how it came about.  It's one guesswork in which the hadith too has not yet indulged  .... not until now as far as I know.  In future it might though. 

However it's surmised that unlike humans, animals (cats included) can see jinn.  Several non-Muslim Westerners have said that they came to know their homes had paranormal activities when their dogs and cats began staring at things and behaving strangely when they could see nothing. But this issue is more in line with animal psychology, just as it's presumed some animals may sense earthquakes or epileptic fits before they occur.  Or bees can actually view ultraviolet rays and can also see the rays of the sun on cloudy days .. I've been told that this is according to scientific study.  However, if true, these are different matters as ordained by Allah and have nothing to do with cats and jinn. 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 11:11:00 am »

However it's surmised that unlike humans, animals (cats included) can see jinn.  Several non-Muslim Westerners have said that they came to know their homes had paranormal activities when their dogs and cats began staring at things and behaving strangely when they could see nothing. But this issue is more in line with animal psychology, ..... 

I've also heard of this.  I think in Muslim circles the idea of cats able to view jinn did indirectly creep in from hadith.  There is a hadith from Sunan Abu Dawud and perhaps also Bukhari etc. supposedly narrated by someone named Jabir “If you hear the bark of dogs or the braying of donkeys during the night, seek refuge in Allah from Satan, as they see what you do not see.” This brings the concept in the minds of people that animals can see elemental spirits.  And with so many existing tales of cat-jinn connection, I suppose people have been quick to assume cats can see jinn. 

Or bees can actually view ultraviolet rays and can also see the rays of the sun on cloudy days .. I've been told that this is according to scientific study.  However, if true, these are different matters as ordained by Allah and have nothing to do with cats and jinn. 

Really?  never knew that.  Alhumdulilah if true.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 11:14:05 am »

..... I think in Muslim circles the idea of cats able to view jinn did indirectly creep in from hadith.  There is a hadith from Sunan Abu Dawud and perhaps also Bukhari etc. supposedly narrated by someone named Jabir “If you hear the bark of dogs or the braying of donkeys during the night, seek refuge in Allah from Satan, as they see what you do not see.” This brings the concept in the minds of people that animals can see elemental spirits.  And with so many existing tales of cat-jinn connection, I suppose people have been quick to assume cats can see jinn. 

Aha, okay.  So yes, there is a bit of hadith link though indirectly as you stated.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 11:37:06 am »

Goodo folks.  I'm enjoying this thread and learning too.  I think this post should be linked with the Jinn board.

Now listen to this.  I had saved a story someone wrote on Yahoo Q&A long ago and got reminded of it when I read this discussion.  Those Q&A stuff are generally supposed to be true, in that, if an experience is narrated it's presumed to have really occurred.  Someone recounted an incident involving a cat ... lol .. NOT that I believe in the cat-jinn connection.  I'm sure this story has an explanation or maybe this person hasn't narrated it correctly, or perhaps he misunderstood something as he is one of those who assumes cats / black cats can be jinn.   Quoting as follows.  Would like to know your views.

QUOTE:
I know that Jinn can come in the form of cats, and especially black cats, however, my question is if the Jinn comes in the form of a cat, does it have to be a black cat, or can it be an any color cat, like grey with stripes, etc...?
Ok, why I ask that:

Because I had a really really weird experience with a cat, and people say that it was a jinn, but then they say it cannot be because the cat wasn't black, and that for it to be a jinn, the cat has to be black.

Here is the whole story just so you don't think I'm crazy or something:

Yesterday night I was jogging on the track around a football field. (It was night, almost pitch dark with very few lights outside), and there was no one else except me running.

Anyways, while running, I was listening to music in my headphones (metal music to be exact), then I felt like there was something near me, so I looked behind me and I saw: "a cat that was running behind me".

I was like wtf?  and got actually rally scared, coz I continued running for like 3 seconds and it was running at the same speed behind me. El mohem I stopped, and the cat stopped.  I looked at it, and it was looking at me.  Then I walked a few steps, said to myself the last 3 surats of the Quran (qol howa Allaho ahad, qol a3otho birab el falaq and qol aa3otho birab el nas) 3 times then I looked behind me and it wasn't there anymore.  Then I continued running without switching off the music but I was reciting these 3 surats all the time, and I haven't seen it again.

That's it.

I don't know, but even before seeing the cat, I had the impression that there was someone/something near me, and when I saw the cat, I really really felt like it was a jinn or shaytan or something ??

Could this be true, or am I just imagining things?

UNQUOTE:
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 12:00:23 pm »

Hah !!  Cheesy  Though an interesting read, there can be several reasons to explain the cat's behavior running after the guy.  If it was a stray cat, and must have been a stray cat to be outdoors after dark, it may have been hungry.  Seeing someone, the cat probably thought if it gets friendly with the person, it may give some food.  Or maybe the cat was simply lonely and was seeking some attention and affection.  Stray dogs and cats often do that .. not at all unusual.  But when the person appeared alarmed, the cat got cheesed off and went its own way. 

How people interpret every such experience also depends how their minds are pre-conditioned.  This person and his social circle seem to firmly believe that black cats are jinn.  With such a notion embedded in one's mind, even the behavior of an affectionate cat might be viewed as suspicious in those circumstances.

Had it been a dog instead, that would be more scary NOT because of the paranormal factor or any such nonsense, but because dogs do sometimes chase people aggressively to attack them if they're in a bad mood or if they're ferocious by nature which is also not very rare.  But cats never chase and bite nor attack.  And they're certainly not jinn.  So it must have just been one very congenial cato.  But because the guy's mind was conditioned with some silly folklore, he didn't return the friendly gesture and got paranoid instead out of fear.     
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 12:11:32 pm »

hmmmm ,, sensible.  My husband also thought much the same, that it was some abadoned cat, probably hungry or lonely. 

LOL ,, my husband was saying that this guy was lucky he was chased by a cat and not a human being whose intention would never be as benign as that of the cat. 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 12:16:32 pm »

LOL ,, my husband was saying that this guy was lucky he was chased by a cat and not a human being whose intention would never be as benign as that of the cat. 

Absolutely right.  If it was a human being, he would have certainly been a mugger or some psycho.  May Allah Almighty keep everyone safe from the dangers of other humans who have repeatedly proven to be far more dangerous than animals.  Ameen.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: