Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 04:20:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Surah Hud on daughters, wife of Prophet Lot and type of natural disaster

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Surah Hud on daughters, wife of Prophet Lot and type of natural disaster  (Read 216 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: June 20, 2016, 12:37:30 pm »

BismEm

As-salam Alaykum dear folks.  Time is flying unnervingly fast.  Half of the blessed month is already over and we're on our 15th roza today. 

Need quick tips for some Verses of Surah Hud.  A few sisters including me have been chosen to give brief Quranic tafsirs of selected Verses explaining them to teenage kids in our Islamic center every Saturday in Ramadan.  InshAllah, I will be speaking on some Verses from Surah Hud, Chapter 11 coming Saturday.  Would like to prepare myself on a few of those Verses as follows.

Verses 11:78-79
"And his people came unto him, running towards him - and before then they used to commit abominations - He said: O my people! Here are my daughters! They are purer for you. Beware of Allah, .."

Some unlettered persons were grumbling that this means giving away daughters to strangers.  I know that's not what it means.  I am sure Prophet Lot means marriage and physical relationship must be between men and women only.  Can anyone please elucidate a bit more?

Verse:11:81
"So travel with thy people in a part of the night, and let not one of you turn round - (all) save thy wife. Lo! that which smiteth them will smite her (also).

So this means Prophet Lot's wife was a wrong doer like the people of that village or town.  Could this mean she too was meddling in same sin as others of that community or was she supporting or helping their sins?

Verse 11:82-83
"So when Our commandment came to pass We overthrew (that township) and rained upon it stones of clay, one after another, Marked with fire in the providence of thy Rab."

Stones of clay with fire. I presumed it was an earthquake.  But the term "fire" made me think it must have been something else.  What natural disaster could this be categorized under, any idea?

Thanks dear all.  Waiting for a feedback.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 01:11:33 pm »

Walaikum As-Salaam Sis.  Yes, really amazing how time flies!  And mubarak for doing such a wonderful work in Ramadan, sharing Quranic knowledge with children.  Alhumdulilah.  May Allah Almighty reward you. 

Verses 11:78-79
"And his people came unto him, running towards him - and before then they used to commit abominations - He said: O my people! Here are my daughters! They are purer for you. Beware of Allah, .."

Of course you're right sis.  The reference is NOT at all to Prophet Lot giving away his daughters to strangers or residents of his village for pleasure.  It means marriage between man and woman.  It's basically a symbolic gesture, highlighting the importance of morals, that relationships must be between man and woman within wedlock.  Relationships are NOT to be between people of the same gender.

It is possible that Prophet Lot used the word 'daughters' to refer to all females of his town, just as we refer to all our Muslim female friends and acquiantances as "sisters."  It is also possible that when Lot used the word 'daughters' he meant his own daughters. Whatever is the correct reference, it is certainly NOT an invitation to the people for illicit pleasure.  Let there be no doubts on that.   As Mr. Maududi adds "For the very next part of his remark, viz. 'they are purer for you', excludes all justification for such a misunderstanding."

----

Verse:11:81
"So travel with thy people in a part of the night, and let not one of you turn round - (all) save thy wife. Lo! that which smiteth them will smite her (also).

Prophet Lot and his household are told to depart at their earliest because of the oncoming hazardous weather that was to bring much disaster. The Verse also underscores the fact that family connections cannot help nor purify a person if that individual is himself or herself misguided.  In this case, it was Prophet Lot's wife who was fated to be destroyed with the rest of the sinners, thus separating her from her husband.  What sort of sin or sins she was indulging in isn't known.  Only Allah would know that best.  It's possible that she was indulging in similar immorality as the rest.  But only Allah can answer that.  What we know for sure is that she too was a transgressor like the majority of the people and Prophet Lot had to leave her.

----

Verse 11:82-83
"So when Our commandment came to pass We overthrew (that township) and rained upon it stones of clay, one after another, Marked with fire in the providence of thy Rab."

Not sure if it means earthquake.  To me it sounds more like volcanic eruption. As we would know, when volcanoes erupt violently, they throw up burning lava several feet up in the air and which comes down like rain spewing all over the adjoining areas.  This might be the reference in Verses 11:82-83.  It may have even been more than one volcano erupting in the nearby region within that specific period of time.  Burning lava consists of bits of molten rock along with crystals & liquid which later freeze as volcanic glass.  These may fit into the interpretation of "stones of clay" and the fiery nature of lava explains the expression "Marked with fire."  Thus, the earthquake destroyed the dwellings of the community and the volcanic eruption threw up the burning lava that fell on the community like fiery stones of clay.  This interpretation is a possibility.  Once again I must mention, the exact nature of this disaster is known to Allah alone.  Mr. Abu Alaa Maududi writes "The expression 'stones of baked clay' perhaps refers to the stones formed by the underground heat and lava in volcanic regions. The signs of this volcanic eruption can be noticed almost everywhere in the region south and east of the Dead Sea even today."  Sounds correct.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 01:25:41 pm »

Thanko dear Sis!  That was so quick.  Very comprehensive and clear read too.  Lemme print this.  InshAllah will take it with me on Saturday.  Allah bless u sis.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 01:27:08 pm »

Most welcomed sister Ruhi Smiley   Allah bless all of you too.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: