Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 29, 2024, 09:32:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Verse 2:54 - When Moses returned and saw his people worshiping calf

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Verse 2:54 - When Moses returned and saw his people worshiping calf  (Read 197 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: November 03, 2016, 11:29:50 am »

BismEm

As-Salam Alaykum dear everyone!   Smiley

Would like your opinion on Verse 2:54 (Surah Al-Baqrah).  When Prophet Moses (pbuh) returned with the Divine Commandments, he found his people had turned back to idolatry and began worshiping the calf they made themselves.  That made Prophet Moses very angry.  This is mentioned in Verse 2:54.  Below I'm quoting the translations of this Verse from different translators, and I'm would like your feedback on the underlined portion.

Translation Corpus Quran word by word
And when said Moses to his people, O my people!  Indeed, you (you) have wronged yourselves by your taking the calf.  So turn in repentance to your Creator, and kill yourselves.  (2:54).

Standard Universal Translation (or Sahih International)
And [recall] when Moses said to his people, "O my people, indeed you have wronged yourselves by your taking of the calf [for worship]. So repent to your Creator and kill yourselves.   (2:54).

Translation Abdel Haleem
Moses said to his people, ‘My people, you have wronged yourselves by worshipping the calf, so repent to your Maker and kill (the guilty among) you.  (2:54).

Translation Pickthall
And when Moses said unto his people: O my people! Ye have wronged yourselves by your choosing of the calf (for worship) so turn in penitence to your Creator, and kill (the guilty) yourselves.  (2:54).

Translation Maududi
(2:54) Remember that when Moses (returned with the Divine Gift, he) said to his people, "O my people, you have wronged yourselves grievously by taking the calf for worship. Therefore, turn to your Creator in penitence and slay the guilty ones among you.

As you can see, in the original Arabic which is translated by Corpus Quran (taking the original word by word), it writes "and kill yourselves" and nothing in brackets of their own  explanation.  The same in the standard universal translation.  Pickthall and Haleem also translate the same but they put in their own explanation in brackets mentioning "and kill (the guilty) yourselves."  But I've read certain other translations where they translate as "and kill your egos."

Which one would you perceive as correct?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 12:28:54 pm »

Walaykum Salam Sister Ruhi.  Personally to me, the translation "and kill your egos" sounds correct and most plausible.  As in every case, the final explanation is only up to Allah.  But let us try to reflect upon it by using our common sense and perception. 

The original only says "and kill yourselves."  But we can be absolutely sure that this is not meant to be taken literally tht the people should kill themselves.  There are many Verses in the Quran that are abbreviated in similar manner which have often been explained by translators by putting words in brackets.

To kill the guilty as elucidated in the translations of Pickthall and Haleem also does not sound like an accurate explanation because there is no mention nor any references/hints of punishments by death for the people, neither in V.2:54 nor in any of the following Verses.  The same incident is also described in greater details in Surah 20 (Ta Ha) from Verses 83 to 98.  If you read these Verses you will find that Prophet Moses, who became very upset and annoyed seeing the misguidance of his people, asked his brother Aaron (Harun) how it happened during his absence.  Of course Aaron had tried to stop them but they didn't obey him (Ref.V.20:90).  Moses also questioned As-Samiri, one of the persons among the crowd during the Exodus who was actually the man responsible for leading the crowd astray.  Allah Almighty had already warned Prophet Moses about this man earlier in V.20:85.  Moses immediately ordered them to destroy the calf they had made with their ornaments (ref.V.20:97).  And we can definitely assume that the calf was burned and thrown into the sea in accordance with the instruction of Prophet Moses followed by his reiteration that they must worship ONLY ONE GOD, THAT IS, ALLAH. 

There is no mention nor any allusions of anyone killed as a punishment.

Thus, most likely, rather quite obviously to me, what that sentence in V.2:54 means is to kill the misguided ego within oneself that tempts a person into unrighteousness and disobedience towards Allah Almighty. 

Btw, I do not agree with Maududi's work which he translates as "slay the guilty ones among you."  The term "guilty" is not mentioned in the original Arabic.  That translation cannot be taken as accurate.  Translators are definitely NOT entitled to mention any words outside brackets that do not correspond to the original Arabic text of the Quran.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 12:54:44 pm »

Thanks a million brother for your very, very helpful and sensible elucidation.  I absolutely agree with your rational analysis. 

Also thanks for pointing out that bit about Maududi's translation.  I had observed it too but somehow forgot to highlight that aspect in my post.  Indeed that translation should not be retained.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 12:57:28 pm »

You're very welcomed sister.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 03:58:03 am »

Also let me mention, 'and kill your egos' is a paraphrase.  The translation must be put correctly as per the rules, that is, "and kill (your egos) yourselves."  (2:54)
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 04:31:59 am »

MashAllah, this was a thoroughly fruitful read for me.  Yesterday I shared it with my husband as well.  He too found it really worthwhile.  Additionally he suggested which I would like to share here .. instead of 'ego' it may also refer to (paraphrasing) killing the evil within yourselves, as evil leads to weaker taqwa or will-power and consequently to misguidance and disobedience.  Evil also often leads to egoism.  And if one wants to get rid of the evil within themselves, they will have to fight it themselves.  Advise and lectures from others won't help if the individual themselves aren't willing to rid their minds & hearts of the evil that's a barrier between themselves and righteousness.

Many thanks for bringing up this Verse for discussion, Sister Ruhi.  Before the paranoid combatants start misconstruing it, they must analyze it rationally as here.  And tons of thanks brother TS for such a helpful elucidation.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 04:40:00 am »

Thank you too sister Heba.  I'm so happy both you and your husband found it useful.  Allah bless.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 04:55:53 am »

Thanks again for the additional input, brother and sister.  That makes it still more clear.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 05:06:57 am »

JazekAllah khair.  This was hugely helpful for me too.  You're so right brother, there are many Quranic sentences within the various Ayats which are abbreviated in an obvious manner that should not be difficult for readers to comprehend and to grasp the actual substance conveyed by The Almighty.  The interpretations of translators in brackets play an important role in for readers.  Many a times their explanations in brackets are quite extensively influenced by the hadith.  That expression "the guilty" in brackets coming from many translators is definitely a reflection of the Hadith mindset coming down from the altered Bibles.  For sure, it's not Quranic instruction nor does it conform with Quranic Values and neither is it supported by the Quranic narration of this event as analyzed by brother TS.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 05:08:57 am »

Very correct Sister Zeynab.  You're welcomed.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: