Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 02:56:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Surah 'Al-Anfal' - Verse 8:67. The expression: "slaughter in the land"

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Surah 'Al-Anfal' - Verse 8:67. The expression: "slaughter in the land"  (Read 3661 times)
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: October 28, 2006, 02:47:16 am »

BismEm
 salamem

I'd like to throw some light on the following verse for clarification as I've come across people not well read misinterpreting it every so often.

"It is not for any prophet to have captives until he has made slaughter in the land. You desire the lure of this world and Allah desires (for you) the Hereafter, and Allah is Mighty, Wise." Al-Anfal 8:67

'Al-Anfal' would mean 'spoils of war.'  The above verse does not at all mean to slaughter in a literal sense.  But it's simply a phrase, meaning 'war' or 'fighting.'  The original Arabic Quranic words are "hatta yuth-khina" which means "until he has battled strenuously." Pickthall hasn't come up with the most accurate translation for this expression.  In this particular verse, "slaughter" would refer to 'an officially declared war.'  It should also be kept in mind that quite many wars or 'ghazwas' that were fought in the Prophet's (pbuh) lifetime involved very little or totally no bloodshed.  Even such 'wars' might be referred to as 'slaughter' because the term conforms with the word 'war.'  Thus, in other words, Allah is simply putting a rule before the people that there can be no prisoners unless a war has officially taken place.  And Allah knows best.

If you read through verses 8:67 to 8:69 quoted as follows:

"It is not for any prophet to have captives until he has made slaughter in the land. You desire the lure of this world and Allah desires (for you) the Hereafter, and Allah is Mighty, Wise.  8:67
Had it not been for an ordinance of Allah which had gone before, an awful doom had come upon you on account of what ye took.  8:68
Now enjoy what ye have won, as lawful and good, and keep your duty to Allah. Indeed! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful."  8:69

These verses refer to the captives taken in the Battle of Badr.  In verses 8:67-68 Allah states that according to His ordinance, no Prophet in the past was ever allowed to take captives or prisoners unless they participated in a complete and official warfare on the battlefield.  I repeat, "made slaughter in the land" is not the most accurate translation, however it refers to the act of combat in the battlefield.  Verse 8:69 confirms that the event of taking prisoners taken by the Muslims after the victory at Badr was lawful because of the ordinance of Allah which He had already established. 

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 06:41:20 am »

Thanks sister, for this very concise, precise and rational explanation.  Makes perfect sense.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 06:52:25 am »

Yeah, JazekAllah khair.  very well put.  In the non-Muslim circles this verse is often misunderstood.  The clarification here is thoroughly realistic and true.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 03:01:41 am »

Thanks in plenty sister Zeynab.  If you read the tafsirs of Maududi and also G.A. Pervez, they have made quite a mess out of their explanations by beating around the bush .. going on and on .... whereas actually this is a very simple verse.  

Allah (Subhana Wa'Tala) confirms that taking prisoners is allowed only when war is legally declared, fought and won .. not otherwise.  There were some Muslims in Medinah who would take prisoners at the smallest of pretexts apparently without fighting a full-fledged war and would use these prisoners as helpers, servants or slaves.  Allah is not pleased with such behavior when people are keen to grab prisoners only for earthly benefits without fighting a real war.  That's why Allah says in the following verse 8:68 "Had it not been for an ordinance of Allah which had gone before, an awful doom had come upon you on account of what ye took."  And again in the verse No.8:69 which follows the previous one, Allah says "Now enjoy what you have won, as lawful and good, and keep your duty to Allah. Indeed! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful."   If I recall correctly, this refers to Battle of Badr which was an officially declared, full-fledged battle in which the Muslim army of Medinah was victorious.  Therefore, Allah tells the Muslims that now whoever they have taken as prisoners among the enemies is lawful.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 04:02:24 am »

Right sister Heba.  I also observed that most tafsir writers with references to traditional hadith stories claim that these verses refer to executing prisoners and the since the Prophet (SAW) spared the lives of prisoners taken at battle of Badr has been disapproved by Allah.  Again, these verses say nothing at all to presume any such ideas.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 03:23:39 am »

Yes .. I've also observed this in several tafsirs.  I too don't find any such references.  I have no doubt it's taken from Hadith stories. 
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 05:21:27 am »

As I happened to come across this Verse 8:67 again last evening during my daily Quranic readings, I have further elaborated the explanation in my original post by modifying it a bit.   
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 01:02:57 pm »

Original Arabic in the Noble Quran on V.8:67 ..

يُثْخِنَ  (yuth'khina)  = "he has battled strenuously" as in Verse 8:67.

Similar expression  having the same root, in Verse 47:4

أَثْخَنْتُمُوهُمْ (ath-khan-tumūhum)   =  "you have subdued them"

In regard to V.8:67, the only correct translation nearest to the original is that of Shakir quote "It is not fit for a prophet that he should take captives unless he has fought and triumphed in the land;"    I'm surprised, even the international sahih which should be strictly focused on the interpretation of each word literally in the translation is borrowing its interpretation from extra-Quranic sources and translating yuth'khina as "massacre" which is a thoroughly inaccurate translation.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 01:11:05 pm »

That makes it clearer. 

Actually the sahih international has shown through many of its inaccurate translations that it's focused on extra-Quranic sources for its interpretation.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: