Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 04:53:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

What is Dua-e-Kumail?

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What is Dua-e-Kumail?  (Read 3676 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: May 10, 2017, 03:38:04 am »

As-Salam Alaykom my dear peeps!  Smiley

I'm here with a question again which you just read on the title.

Can anyone kindly give some details on dua-e-kumail?  Is it a general supplication or one for a specific situation or event?   Would also appreciate if someone can share the English translation of this dua.  Plenty of thanks in advance. 

May Allah bless my MV team.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 03:55:17 am »

Walaikum As Salam dear Sis ..... and bundles of thanks for requesting Allah Almighty for His much needed blessings we humans are completely dependent on. 

I see it as a general supplication.  Dua Kumail  (دعاء كميل) is famous for the humble beauty of its words in obedience to Allah Almighty expressing one's love for Him.  A large portion of this dua is begging the forgiveness of Allah for our many sins. This dua is mainly popular in Shiia Islam;  many Sunnis also accept it.

The most important point is that this dua is Halal as it looks fully compatible with the principles of the Noble Quran. 

Dua Kumail literally means the supplication of Kumail.  Kumail bin Ziyad was reported to be a close friend, comrade and confidant of Imam Ali.  He had  risen into prominence for his loyalty to the Islamic government and his piety during the time of Ali's predecessor, Usman.

According to tradition (which isn't reliable) this supplication was originally said to be recited by the ancient Prophet Al-Khizar ( الخضر) and quoted by Kumail bin Ziyad .... from what I understand.  Though Khizar is not mentioned in the Quran by name, traditionalists have opined that Verse 18:65 of Surah Al-Kahf refers to Khizar who was a Prophet.  Only Allah knows best how far this information is accurate.

I quote Verse 18:65 below:

"Then found they one of Our slaves, unto whom We had given mercy from Us, and had taught him knowledge from Our presence."  (18:65).

I repeat, only Allah Almighty would know best if the reference is to a Prophet named al-Khizar or someone else. 

Thus, in conclusion, while some of those traditional aspects surrounding dua Kumail are not confirmed in the Quran, the contents of the supplication itself (as far as I know and understand) are in conformity with the principles of the Noble Quran.  Therefore I think it's fine to recite this supplication or join the congregation reciting it.  We need only to focus on the substance of the dua.

Excerpts from Dua Kumail in English are as follows

O He in whose hand is my forelock!

O He who knows my affliction and my misery!

O He who is aware of my poverty and indigence!

My Lord! My Lord! My Lord!

I ask You by Your Truth and Your Holiness

And the greatest of Your Attributes and Names,

That You make my times in the night and the day inhabited by Your remembrance,

And joined to Your service

And my deeds acceptable to You,

So that my deeds and my litanies may all be a single litany

And my occupation with Your service everlasting.

And protect me with Your mercy!

And make my tongue remember You without ceasing

And my heart enthralled by Your love!

And be gracious to me by answering me favorably,

And nullify my slips

And forgive my lapses!

O He, whose satisfaction is quickly achieved!

Forgive him who owns nothing but supplication

For You do what You will

O He whose Name is a remedy,

And whose remembrance is a cure,

And whose obedience is wealth!

Have mercy upon him whose main wealth is hopefulness
And whose weapon is weeping!

Complete Dua Kumail in Arabic with English transliteration and English translation given in the following link:

https://www.al-islam.org/commentary-kumayl-supplication-allama-husayn-ansariyan/complete-text-dua-kumayl-arabic

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 03:27:59 am »

Wa'salaam and many thanks dear Sis. 

I also enjoyed reading the complete dua in that link you provided.  Found it very comforting.  It's a very suitable read in Ramadan.

Good query Sister Ruhi.

Ameen ....
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 03:34:10 am »

Shukran from me too dearie Sis Heba Smiley  These are precisely the points I was looking to confirm.  Yeah Sis Zeynab, it's particularly great to read in upcoming month of Ramadan;  that's why I needed to get some feedback because I hadn't read the entire dua earlier.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 06:39:33 am »

Just to go over this topic again for a while.  So, we can say that this dua is okay, that it doesn't contain anything which is not in conformity with the principles of the Noble Quran, right?

Some sources say it's a popular dua among Sunnis as well as Shiia Muslims.  But some Sunni sheikhs and imams are against it as I hear.  Any feedback on that?

I was planning to attend Imam Ali masjid this summer, InshAllah, as it seems to be a small, quiet and welcoming place which isn't just hankering after big donations like many of our imams & sheikhs in our big masjids.  So I thought I'll InshAllah visit to form my own opinion.  I was told they recite Dua Kumayl every Friday and thus I want to know where exactly does the Ummah stand in regard to this dua?

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 07:07:38 am »

.... I want to know where exactly does the Ummah stand in regard to this dua?

Overall it's an acceptable dua, just that it focuses too much on confession of human wrongs and should have made more promises to Allah for striving to avoid those wrongs.   That can be viewed as the nervous approach of the suppliant.  The essence of the dua itself is okay.  I have analyzed every line of it, and it's very lengthy.  Certain parts of it may sound a bit poetic but the thoughts it expresses are Halal as I understand them;  certain aspects are repetitive.  But it certainly does not contain anything against Quranic values.   

Many Sunni circles also recite this dua.  But some Wahabized Sunnis who are overly influenced by folks like Ibn Taimiyah etc. are terribly against duas with rhythms and eloquent language even if the contents are 100% Halal.  I suppose they miss the crude and vulgar language of Abu Huraira in those countless offensive ahadith. 

They also object that the isnad of this dua is unauthentic, that Amir ul-Momineen, Imam Ali, did not read this dua to his friend, Kumayl.    But I say to hell with isnad.  As far as authenticity of narrator or its chain is concerned, it's well known about each and every Hadith or traditional chain that they're are never authentic,  99.9% of all isnads are concoctions.  In a case like this, if you have thoroughly explored the contents of the entire dua and found it compatible with Tawheed and all principles of the Noble Quran, you can definitely recite it with the understanding that it's a nice and soothing supplication you are making to Allah by completely ignoring the isnad ... no matter who recited it or not.  Isnad is an institution which must be taken as fake to start with.  You can recite this dua just the way you would recite some nice dua you might pen yourself to humbly reach out to The Almighty in your own words.  No "scholar" or 'mufti' can stop you from doing that.  Similarly, no one can stop you from reciting dua  kumayl or you can even rename it or call it what you wish, that would be irrelevant.  The only important aspect, I repeat, is you must be sure it's grounded in Monotheism and is fully in conformity with Quranic values.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 10:07:40 pm »

Very interesting view point brother TS.  I had been thinking much on the same lines from start to finish.  Isnad is has always been a farce. It's the quality of the contents indicating compatibility with the Noble Quran and the indispensable concept of Monotheism that presents the standard for analysis and whether or not a supplication should be accepted.   In any case, I think it's never a good idea to label any dua or narration using the name of a renowned figure for the purpose of leverage.   If someone wants to write something expressing their opinion or commentary on some aspect of Faith, they should use their own name. 

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 10:09:39 pm »

Very interesting ....... In any case, I think it's never a good idea to label any dua or narration using the name of a renowned figure for the purpose of leverage.   If someone wants to write something expressing their opinion or commentary on some aspect of Faith, they should use their own name. 

That's very correct Sister. 

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 10:22:32 pm »

After the initial feedback from my MV friends, I've read this dua several times.  Usually I read the portion quoted by Sister Heba, but a few times I read the whole which indeed is a bit too lengthy. 

Frankly, I see the values of this supplication compatible with the Noble Quran, otherwise I would never have read it nor would any of you have recommended it.  The problem in it is only the human approach of too much anxiety and restlessness ... if I may put it that way.  I mean, sometimes this dua is like nervously asking Allah too many questions of whether or not we will be considered worthy of avoiding Hellfire.    So, at times it feels that the suppliant is forgetting the fact that Allah NEVER punishes those who don't deserve it ... that Allah's perception is flawless, Divine Justice is flawless.  But I guess that's simply a portrayal of human nature and the nervousness of the human heart / soul that makes them impatient.  Perhaps, in certain cases, such impatience is an indication of being overly fearful which might be a good sign, manifesting the humility and goodness of one's soul.  Indeed, Allah is best aware of the inside story of every soul.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 10:42:35 pm »

Many Sunni circles also recite this dua.  But some Wahabized Sunnis who are overly influenced by folks like Ibn Taimiyah etc. are terribly against duas with rhythms and eloquent language even if the contents are 100% Halal.  I suppose they miss the crude and vulgar language of Abu Huraira in those countless offensive ahadith. 

Yes I agree brother.  Many Sunni circles do read dua-e-kumail.  It's only those with tendencies of drifting into the path of takfiris that bring up ridiculous reasons for rejection.  How can you reject anything simply because its language is eloquent or carries a poetic rhythm?   LOL .. you're right.  While reading sophisticated or decent language, those salafized Sunnis do probably miss the embarrassing insinuations and the cheap style as in the narrations of guys like Abu Huraira, Anas, Darda etc. 

Btw .... since when did the Salafis become so particular about "isnad" when the entire Sunni Hadith literature they view as "sahih"  is rife with fraudulent isnad? Not to mention, even if a logical isnad says something not warranted by the Quran, that isnad along with its content must be trashed.

Moreover, authenticity problem (that is, truthfulness in regard to the source) exists throughout all Sunni and Shiia man-written literature.    But if anyone says something that correct with the Quran as Sole Criterion, then it should be accepted regardless of who said it.  Isnad is totally irrelevant.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 02:37:02 am »

Sorry for the delayed return as I was out of station.  Very interesting points Sister Ruhi. 

Large portions of the du'a reflect how much the suppliant will miss Allah if they are granted Hellfire.   Yes, those parts of the supplication sound emotional.  It is also true that dwellers of Hellfire will express complete remorse once the Judgement is given to them as the Noble Quran has expressed many times.  Concerning this du'a I would say that suppliants who are so aware of missing Allah from this point on earth, don't seem to be the ones who might be punished in the next world because the real unrighteous folks usually don't have such depth in terms of regret or remorse nor any profound compunctions in this world ....  and those who do, often end up coming to the path of Allah before it's too late.  In such cases, yes, sometimes the pangs of self-reproach can be severe and some of these folks cannot bear to forgive themselves.  That leads to begging and imploring Allah to overlook their past.  The point is, if the process of 'coming home' within a person is sincere, Allah will know it best and then one doesn't have to worry.  Just leave all matters to Him.  According to HIS principles as elucidated in HIS most Noble Book, He does not hold any genuine believer who has truly changed for the better, accountable for their past missteps. 

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 02:41:10 am »

Brilliant feedback.   Thank you Sister Ruhi and thanks again br. TS. 

So this means it's fine to be in a congregation which is reciting dua Kumayl, right?

Would also like to know what Sister Heba has to say in this regard and her opinion of this supplication.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 02:57:18 am »

So this means it's fine to be in a congregation which is reciting dua Kumayl, right?

Personally I think it's perfectly okay. 

Besides, just speaking generally, if at any time you are unexpectedly uncomfortable with some supplication they are reciting in a jam'ah, you need not be a participant.  Just sit silently looking down, don't raise your hands as for making du'a and don't recite it.  Again, Allah knows thoroughly what is in everyone's heart.    Just make sure that in future you don't join a congregation that recites supplications you aren't comfortable with.  I reiterate, I'm speaking generally.  I'm comfortable with du'a kumayl even though it's not my favorite du'a as it's too lengthy and repetitive.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 02:59:25 am »

Very wisely said br. TS.     Allah bless.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 03:00:39 am »

.....   and yeah, I would also like to know Sister Heba's opinion   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: