Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 19, 2024, 02:50:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

What is Dua-e-Kumail?

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What is Dua-e-Kumail?  (Read 3577 times)
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 03:19:48 am »

Aw!  thank ye for calling me on folks, in particular Sis Zeynab   Cheesy   I already read the recent inputs couple of days ago and then brother's additional comments tonight. 

I think Sis Ruhi and br. TS have summed it up pretty thoughtfully. I would say it's fine Sister Zeynab. 

You know, just as Christians take for granted that they will all enter Paradise and completely ignore the reality of Hellfire, many sincere Muslims have a very different approach.  We often take for granted that our ill deeds have surpassed our good deeds and fearfully request Allah for forgiveness and avoidance of Hellfire.   This is one of highlights of Dua Kumayl.

Having said that, in my view, those portions of the dua where the suppliant describes their lamentations in Hellfire praising Allah do not refer to those who disbelieved on earth and woke up to realize the truth after Resurrection.  Those parts of the dua are the reflections of a believer who is overly aware and thus their awareness and realization of the truth cannot prevent them from feeling nervous about the azaab in the Hereafter.

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 03:51:37 am »

Furthermore .......

As you folks have rightly mentioned, various Sunni circles are against this supplication.  But the purpose of their rejection is simply opposition, nothing else.

Let me elaborate, a bit (or a bit more than 'a bit' Smiley  ) on this issue.

The origin of this dua has a hadithist root, so to say.  Nonetheless, if its contents are in compliance with the Sole Criterion, the Noble Quran, then it can be accepted as a supplication by ignoring the isnad which is always controversial.

From what I know, both Sunnis and Shiias accept that this du'a was narrated by al-Khidr whom, I think, hadithist sources accept as a prophet though the Quran does not confirm this point.  They say that this supplication from al-Khidr has taken by Amir ul-Momineen Imam 'Ali and taught to a prominent companion of his named Kumail ibn Ziyad.

According to Sunni sources, the following is the portion of Dua Kumail which Imam Ali recited:

“O Allah, I ask You by virtue of Your mercy which encompasses all things, and by virtue of Your power by which You dominate all things and everything submits to it, and by virtue of Your might by which You overcome all things, and by virtue of Your power, which nothing can resist, and by virtue of Your greatness, which encompasses all things, and by virtue of Your sovereignty, which transcends all things, and by virtue of Your eternal Countenance which will remain after all things cease to be, and by virtue of Your names which filled the space of all things, and by virtue of Your knowledge which encompasses all things, and by virtue of the light of Your Countenance which illuminates all things; O Light, O Most Holy, O First of the first, O Last of the last, O Allah, forgive me my sins which weaken all bonds. O Allah, forgive me my sins which bring down divine wrath. O Allah, forgive me my sins that remove blessings. O Allah, forgive me my sins which detain supplication (and prevent it from reaching You). O Allah, forgive me my sins which bring down calamity. O Allah, forgive me all the sins I have committed and every error I have made… “

This is a du'a begging Allah Almighty for forgiveness (maghfirah).  Though it might sound a bit poetic and quite repetitious, it is certainly compatible with Tawheed (Monotheism) and in conformity with Quranic principles.  Yet, much to my surprise, a particular Sunni sheikh or "scholar" (his name not mentioned or probably Sheikh Muhammad Saalih Munajjid who claims to be the 'supervisor') at Islam Q&A says that this dua should not be recited because firstly he considers its isnad to be incorrect, that it wasn't recited by Imam Ali.  So, he rules it out as fabricated.  This may also imply that the Sunni sheikh assumes that al-Khidr also did not recite this du'a.  However, the point is, forget the isnad.  What's significant is the content.  No matter who writes or composes a du'a (even if I write it), as long as it's according to the principles of the Quran and does NOT violate the concept of Tawheed, there is no reason to reject it.

Secondly, what surprises me most, quoting that sheikh's words "Even if we assume that all of its words and meanings are good .. it has also become a slogan or symbol of the Raafidis and others of their ilk who follow innovation. It is stated above that they regard it as holy, venerate it and hold it in high esteem. Something that is like that should not be taken as a religious practice."   There we go again !!  Total madness, dunk in sectarianism and false accusation.  In other words, he is trying to say that since the salafist minded Sunnis have picked the label "Rafidis" for Shiia Muslims, so even if the Shiias do something that's right, even if it conforms with the values of the Quran, it must still be rejected because those people are given the title "Rafidis."  Again differently put, the idea is to shun this du'a so that "there is no resemblance with Rafidis."  These are the category of sectarianists who have sunk into the lowest depth of depravity with a shameful sense of self-righteousness.   Just ignore them.

Thirdly, quoting him again, "It is stated above that they regard it as holy, venerate it and hold it in high esteem."  I don't know what this man is talking here.  What "holy" or "veneration"?   Who said that?   Dua is a du'a.  Everyone respects it, and that's all.  No one ever said Dua Kumayl is "Divine" (AstaghfarAllah) or anything of that sort.  It's simply a lengthy supplication that's recited by many Shiia Muslims on Fridays.  Mostly it's cut short and only excerpts are recited.  Its length makes it difficult to recite the entire supplication in every prayer congregation.  And as brother TS said, this du'a isn't one of my favorites either.  But this sort of attitude by Sheikh Munajjid and his likes is deplorable, an outcome of being stubbornly rooted in schism, arising from a spirit of plain disobedience to Allah Almighty.

A very important reminder for these flagrant sectarianists:

"Indeed! As for those who sunder their religion and become schismatics, no concern at all have you with them. Their case will go to Allah, Who then will tell them what they used to do."  (6:159)  Surah Al-Anam.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 10:22:03 am »

You know, just as Christians take for granted that they will all enter Paradise and completely ignore the reality of Hellfire, many sincere Muslims have a very different approach.  We often take for granted that our ill deeds have surpassed our good deeds and fearfully request Allah for forgiveness and avoidance of Hellfire.   This is one of highlights of Dua Kumayl.

Having said that, in my view, those portions of the dua where the suppliant describes their lamentations in Hellfire praising Allah do not refer to those who disbelieved on earth and woke up to realize the truth after Resurrection.  Those parts of the dua are the reflections of a believer who is overly aware and thus their awareness and realization of the truth cannot prevent them from feeling nervous about the azaab in the Hereafter.

These are both very correct points.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 10:31:31 am »

....... what surprises me most, quoting that sheikh's words "Even if we assume that all of its words and meanings are good .. it has also become a slogan or symbol of the Raafidis and others of their ilk who follow innovation. It is stated above that they regard it as holy, venerate it and hold it in high esteem. Something that is like that should not be taken as a religious practice."   There we go again !!  .......................... 

Shocked   Oh my Dearest Allah!   So this is the reason for Sunni rejection of dua Kumayl?

...... quoting him again, "It is stated above that they regard it as holy, venerate it and hold it in high esteem."  I don't know what this man is talking here.  What "holy" or "veneration"?   Who said that?   Dua is a du'a.  Everyone respects it, and that's all.  No one ever said Dua Kumayl is "Divine" (AstaghfarAllah) or anything of that sort. .............................

Exactly, what does he mean "holy" and "venerate it" ?  It's just a man-written dua and because it's a dua addressed to Allah, so people respect it.  These salafis only think of picking up a quarrel through opposition whenever the Shiias are brought into a discussion.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2019, 10:36:26 am »

Thanks plenty for the additional input Sister Heba. 

Some of these guys are just crazy, just want to fight.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: