Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 12:22:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Quranic term "Ruh-ul-Qudusi" (Holy Spirit)

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Quranic term "Ruh-ul-Qudusi" (Holy Spirit)  (Read 845 times)
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: March 23, 2018, 11:31:03 pm »

BismEm

The word "Ruh" in the Noble Quran has been stated:

- To elucidate the Wisdom and Glory of Allah; 
-  It has also been stated to mention the archangel (Jibreel / Gabriel) in connection with bringing down the Divine Revelation; 
-  And it may refer to the human soul as well but not sure.

To determine each interpretation, one needs to concentrate on the context of every specific Verse.

Let us start by reading some Verses from Surahs Al-Hijr,  Saad, Anbiya and At-Tahrim containing the expression "breathed .... of My Spirit" or  "breathed .... of Our Spirit."

"So, when I have made him and have breathed into him of My Spirit, do you fall down, prostrating yourselves unto him.    So the angels fell prostrate, all of them together   Save Iblis. He refused to be among the prostrate." (15:29-31)  Al-Hijr.

"And when I have fashioned him and breathed into him of My Spirit, then fall down before him prostrate,  The angels fell down prostrate, every one,  Saving Iblis; he was scornful and became one of the disbelievers."   (38:72)   Saad. 

"And she who was chaste, therefor We breathed into her (something) of Our Spirit and made her and her son a token for (all) peoples."   (21:91)  Al-Anbiya.

"And Maryam, daughter of 'Imran, whose body was chaste, therefor We breathed therein something of Our Spirit. And she put faith in the words of her Rab and His scriptures, and was of the obedient."  (66:12)  At-Tahrim.

This Quranic expression as underlined in the above Verses defines, quoting the commentary of Abu Alaa Maududi which we accept completely at MV:

"..(when I have) breathed of My spirit into him....  (when I have) cast a reflection of My Divine characteristics on him.... "   This indicates that the soul of man implies "life, knowledge, power, will, discretion and other human characteristics in the aggregate.  These are in reality a slight reflection of Divine characteristics that has been cast on the human body which was originally created from dried clay. And it is this Divine reflection on the human body which has raised him to the position of the vicegerent of Allah and made him that worthy being before whom angels and every earthly creation should bow down.    Most importantly:  In regard to this aspect one has to be on strict guard to avoid the corrupted and false notion that the slight possession of a part of any Divine characteristic amounts to the possession of a part of Godhead.  Never!  This is because Godhead is absolutely beyond the reach of each and every creation."

Now let us analyse the Quranic expression  " .... supported him with the Holy Spirit" as in Verses 2:87 and 2:253.

"And verily We gave unto Moses the Scripture and We caused a train of messengers to follow after him, and We gave unto Jesus, son of Mary, clear proofs (of Allah's sovereignty), and We supported him with the Holy spirit. ...."   (2:87).

"Of those messengers, some of whom We have caused to excel others, and of whom there are some unto whom Allah spake, while some of them He exalted (above others) in degree; and We gave Jesus, son of Mary, clear proofs (of Allah's Sovereignty) and We supported him with the holy Spirit. ....."  (2:253).

Quoting the explanation of Abu Alaa Maududi which we accept to the fullest:

"Ruh-ul-Qudusi or  (Holy Spirit)  refers to the Revelation or to angel Gabriel who brought it to the Prophets or to the soul of Prophet Essa which Allah had created pure. "Clear Signs" or "clearproofs" refer to Prophet Essa's miracles bestowed on him by The Almighty, to his excellent personal qualities and his miraculous birth, which were to every lover of truth a clear proof of the fact that he was a true Prophet of The Almighty."

Next, let us study Verse 4:171  and learn its correct interpretation as mentioned by Allah The Almighty in the Glorious Quran.  The Christians often attempt to grossly misinterpret Verse 4:171 with insinuations that it refers to trinity.  NOT AT ALL.

Verse 4:171 as follows: 

"O People of the Scripture! Do not exaggerate in your religion nor utter aught concerning Allah save the truth. The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a messenger of Allah, and His word which He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers, and say not "Three" - Cease! (it is) better for you! - Allah is only One Allah. Far is it removed from His Transcendent Majesty that He should have a son. His is all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. And Allah is sufficient as Defender."  (4:171)  Surah Al-Nisaa.

Quoting the very correctly perceived opinion of Abu Alaa Maududi fully accepted by us at MV:

"Here Prophet Essa (Jesus) has been called "A spirit from God" and in Al-Baqarah, 11:253, it is stated that Allah Almighty supported him (Jesus) with the "Holy Spirit". In both cases, it means that Allah had bestowed upon Prophet Jesus a Holy Spirit that was imbued with high moral values and was a perfection of truth and righteousness without the slightest of  falsehood. The Christians were taught exactly this, but they exaggerated the notion and distorted it.  They changed "a spirit from God" to "the Spirit of God" and perverted the definition claiming that "the Spirit of God Himself" had entered into Jesus.  Thus, a third god, "the Holy Ghost", was created along with God and "Christ."  This was their biggest transgression which began leading the Christians astray by deviating from the truth"

The above commentary, a very articulate piece, makes it simple to discern the huge blunder and misguidance of the Christians and their inability to grasp the truth.

It's necessary to quote some other Verses from the Noble Quran that specifically and unambiguously reject trinity, asserting the enormity of its sin. 

"They surely disbelieve who say:  Lo! Allah is the third of three; when there is no God save the One God. If they desist not from so saying a painful doom will fall on those of them who disbelieve."   (5:73)  Al-Maidah. 

"The Messiah, son of Mary, was no other than a messenger, messengers (the like of whom) had passed away before him. And his mother was a saintly woman. And they both used to eat (earthly) food. See how We make the revelations clear for them, and see how they are turned away!"    (5:75)   Al-Maidah.

"And when Allah says: O Jesus, son of Mary! Didst you say unto mankind: Take me and my mother for two gods beside Allah? he says: Be glorified! It was not mine to utter that to which I had no right.  If I used to say it, then You know it.  You know what is in my mind, and I know not what is in Your Mind.   Indeed!  You, only You, are the Knower of Things Hidden.     I spake unto them only that which You commanded me, (saying): Worship Allah, my Rab and your Rab. I was a witness of them while I dwelt among them, and when You took me You were the Watcher over them.  You are Witness over all things."  (5:116-117)   Al-Maidah.

The archangel is  mentioned in the Quran with the names “Ruh (The Spirit)” “Ruhul Qudus (The Holy Spirit)” and “Ruhul Amin (The Trustworthy Spirit)”.   Angel Gabriel (peace be on him) has been separately mentioned from other angels considering his importance and honor.   He is also often guarded by other angels  when he brings the Divine Messages to earth as ordered by The Almighty. 

"Say: The holy Spirit has delivered it from your Rab with truth, that it may confirm (the faith of) those who believe, and as guidance and good tidings for those who have surrendered (to Allah)."  (16:102)  An-Nahl.

"And lo! it is a revelation of the Rab of the Worlds, Which the True Spirit has brought down Upon your heart, that you may be (one) of the warners, In plain Arabic speech."  (26:192-195)  Ash-Shu'ara.

The underlined word can also be translated as the 'Trustworthy Spirit' (in original Arabic, Ruhul Amin).  Both above Verses refer to angel Gabriel.

It was the Holy Spirit (Gabriel) who visited Virgin Maryam and conveyed to her the message of granting her a boy, a son and a Prophet.  That is the miracle of The Almighty.  When HE decides to create something, HE only says "Be, and it is"  ( كن فيكون  Kun Faya Kun).

For example, Verse 19:17-21 Surah Maryam, quoted below:

"And had chosen seclusion from them. Then We sent unto her Our Spirit and it assumed for her the likeness of a perfect man. She said: Lo! I seek refuge in the Beneficent One from you, if you are God-fearing.  He said:  I am only a messenger of your Rab, that I may bestow on you a faultless son.  She said:  How can I have a son when no mortal has touched me, neither have I been unchaste?   He said:  So (it will be).  Your Rab says:  It is easy for Me.  And (it will be) that We may make of him a revelation for mankind and a me"rcy from Us, and it is a thing ordained."  (19:17-21)."

Coming to Verses from Surah At-Takwir and Surah Al-Isra:

"That this is in truth the word of an honoured messenger, Mighty, established in the presence of the Lord of the Throne,   (One) to be obeyed, and trustworthy;"    (81:19-21)  At-Takwir.

According to some interpretations, Verses 81:19-21 refer to angel Gabriel in which Allah Almighty states about his honor and trust.  In these Verses, there could be two interpretations.  The reference could be angel Gabriel (pbuh)  or to Prophet Muhammed (pbuh).    We can only presume to the best of our discernment but only Allah has the final answer.

"They are asking you concerning the Spirit.  Say: The Spirit is by command of my Rab, and of knowledge you have been vouchsafed but little."  17:85  Al-Isra.

Also in regard to the above Verse 17:85, there can be two connotations ..  either the archangel Gabriel, or it may refer to the human soul or nafs (spirit) that doesn't die with the body.  Initially I thought it meant the human soul.  But after reading the Verses that follow V.17:85, that is, Verses 86 to 89, it's clear that these Verses speak of the greatness of the Quran and its beauty and nobility revealed to the Prophet (pbuh) through the arch angel on the commandment of Allah Almighty.  Thus I would opine that apparently "Spirit" in V.17:85 refers to the arch angel Jibreel rather than the human spirit / soul which is often mentioned as 'nafs' in the Noble Quran.   Therefore it's likely that the disbelievers who were rejecting the Quran were also questioning the existence of the arch angel bringing the Divine Revelations.   But only Allah Almighty would know the exact allusion. 

Now let us read Surah 97, Al-Qadr:

"Lo! We revealed it on the Night of Power.  Ah, what will convey unto you what the Night of Power is!   The Night of Power is better than a thousand months.  The angels and the Spirit descend therein, by the permission of their Rab, with all decrees.  (The Night is) Peace until the rising of the dawn."  (97:1-5)  Surah Al-Qadr.

In the above Verses of Surah Al-Qadr,  "the Angels  and the Spirit" ( l-malāikatu wal-rūḥu) allude to other angels along with archangel Gabriel.

Verse 16:2 of Surah An-Nahl also mentions angel Gabriel with other angels in connection with the Decision of The Almighty to send the Divine Message to humankind.

"He sends down the angels with the Spirit of His command unto whom He will of His bondmen, (saying): Warn mankind that there is no God save Me, so keep your duty unto Me."   16:2  An-Nahl.

In Verse 40:15 as follows, reference is directly to angel Gabriel bringing the Command of Allah Almighty to warn humankind.

"The Exalter of Ranks, the Rab of the Throne. He causes the Spirit of His command upon whom He will of His slaves, that He may warn of the Day of Meeting,"  40:15  Al-Mumin.

As stated earlier, various non-Muslims try to distort the Quranic expression "Holy Spirit."  Needless to mention, this expression has NOTHING to do with the gross misconception of trinity nor anything connected with it.  Trinity is rejected and plainly denounced with the strongest of emphasis in the Noble Quran.  Trinity is polytheism.  Polytheism, atheism, agnosticism and panthiesm are transgressions that doom a person's future in the next world, making them ineligible to receive acceptance and forgiveness from The Almighty, if they die in a state of such disbelief.

"Indeed! Allah forgives not that a partner should be ascribed unto Him. He forgives (all) save that to whom He will. Whoso ascribes partners to Allah, he has indeed invented a tremendous sin."  (4:48)  Al-Nisaa.

"Indeed! Allah pardons not that partners should be ascribed unto Him. He pardons all save that to whom He will. Whoso ascribes partners unto Allah has wandered far astray."   (4:116)  Al-Nisaa.

"And set not up with Allah any other god, lest you be cast into hell, reproved, abandoned."   (17:39)   Al-Isra.

Let us conclude by quoting Surah At-Tawheed (also known as Surah Ikhlas), the essence of Monotheism.

{1}  قُلْ هُوَ اللَّهُ أَحَدٌ
  {2}      اللَّهُ الصَّمَدُ
  {3}  لَمْ يَلِدْ وَلَمْ يُولَدْ
  {4} وَلَمْ يَكُنْ لَهُ كُفُوًا أَحَدٌ

Say: He is Allah, the One!    Allah, the eternally Besought of all!   He begets not nor was begotten.    And there is none comparable unto Him."   (112:1-4)  Most Noble Quran.

Never forget:   Monotheism is the original TRUTH;  polytheism, atheism etc. are the CORRUPTION of the TRUTH through ignorance and arrogance of the human mind.  This has been happening repeatedly throughout the annals of this planet's history.  Every Messenger of The Almighty came with the same message - Monotheism - which got corrupted by the obstinacy of the communities embedded in traditions and the desire for adherence to the status quo.

My special thanks to my colleagues and dear friends, Sister Heba, Brother Najaf Truth Seeker and Sister Ruhi for helping with this very important article.  I so much appreciate your commitment of time and energy.  May The Almighty, The Greatest, accept our efforts to spread the TRUTH.   Ameen ya Allah.

Related post:
Concept of the soul in the Noble Quran.
Difference between ruh and nafs.
Heart and mind connection.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 11:57:45 pm »

BismEm

My special thanks to my colleagues and dear friends, Sister Heba, Brother Najaf Truth Seeker and Sister Ruhi for helping with this very important article.  I so much appreciate your commitment of time and energy.  May The Almighty, The Greatest, accept our efforts to spread the TRUTH.   Ameen ya Allah.

Ameen, ameen ya Rab-al-Alameen.  May our readers benefit from the Truth we post.

You're most welcomed my dear Sis.   You organized the points very well, very comprehensively.  Even now if anyone cannot grasp the Truth, it means Allah has refused to grant them guidance because they failed to prove themselves worthy of HIS guidance.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 12:14:09 am »

Very welcomed Sister Zeynab.   I printed the draft of this post you sent us prior to posting it here, and I took it for our monthly discussions last week.  There's a brother in our group who recently reverted to Islam from Christianity.  He completely disagrees with the Christian idea of trinity, and his family (who are still Christians) were arguing with him over Verses 2:87 and 2:253 .... bluffing that these Verses allude to trinity.   I showed this article to that brother last week at our discussion session when I met him; he liked it very much, made a photocopy of it and took it with him.  He read it as a rejoinder to his family who were badgering him and they had no words of refutation other than belittling him with personally derisive comments .... which of course he ignored and walked away.

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 12:19:36 am »

Alhumdulilah.  I'm really glad to learn that this work helped that brother.   InshAllah, I hope it guides many others too.   

Do advise him to check out MV.   Allah Willing, our posts will make his path to guidance easier.  Ameen.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 12:25:36 am »

Yes Sister Heba.  I already told him of MV a month ago.  He frequently browses this place to find answers to his queries.  He has found it very useful and comforting.  He has also requested me to send MV articles by email from my MV backup files. 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 12:26:44 am »

SubhanAllah, also very comforting for us.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 02:28:25 am »

Extremely significant topic and very effectively compiled.  As sister Heba said, anyone who still argues otherwise is a doomed critter.

Thoroughly heartening to know of the revert brother in brother TS' discussion group.   Alhumdulilah.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: