Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 29, 2024, 01:46:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

"Gibraltar"

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: "Gibraltar"  (Read 247 times)
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« on: February 20, 2022, 03:55:39 pm »

As-Salam Alaikum dear all.    You must have heard the mention of "Gibraltar" many, many times.  But did you know that it is a corruption of the original, Jabal Tariq  (جبل طارق) ?

It is the name given to a rock situated at the tip of the southern coast of Spain and is a small peninsula at the entrance of the Mediterranean Sea.

History makes a wild guess that Gibraltar was first inhabited 50,000 years ago by Neanderthals.  Mark the number, "50,000"!!   Modern Western historians often claim they don't know if Hebrews ever lived in Egypt during the time of the Pharaohs because that was 4,000 years ago and thus too long in the past to keep track of history.  In the next breath they confidently seem to know the Neanderthals lived in Gibraltar "50,000" years ago.  It's one of the many examples of discrepancies in history through selective disinformation.

Anyhow ..

The famous Tariq bin Ziyad, an Amazigh (Berber*) commander who led the Muslim conquest of Spain, was born in Algeria in 670 AD and died 720 AD in Damascus, Syria.  While Moroccans like to claim he was born in Morocco, he was actually born in Algeria.  According to Ibn Khaldun, Tariq belonged to the Berber Ulhasa tribe which resided on both sides of the Tafna river in the city of Tlemcen, Algeria.  The map below gives a fair idea where Tariq bin Ziyad was born, north-west Algeria close to the border of Morocco.

Source:  Researchgate

* Berbers or Amazighs are an ethnic group indigenous to North Africa, specifically Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, and Libya who speak a variant of Maghrebi Arabic as their native language.

Tariq was the commander of the army under Musa bin Nusair who conquered Morocco.  Musa left Tariq to govern Tangier (the beautiful northern city of Morocco) in his place.

Tariq bin Ziyad was a pious freed slave and the most famous personality in the history of Andalusia.  His army consisting of three hundred Arabs and nearly a thousand Berbers landed at the rock located at the tip of the coast of southern Spain in 711 AD to fight King Roderic of Spain who had an army of one hundred thousand soldiers.  That prompted Tariq to call for reinforcement and he soon received a contingent of seven thousand under the leadership of Tarif bin Malek-Naqi.  When Tariq sensed that his fighters were a bit nervous at the sight of Roderic’s huge army, he ordered the galleons to be burned so that no one could sail back to Morocco, and then delivered the historic speech to his fighters shortly before the battle. 

Burn your boats.  My Dear brothers, we are here to spread the message of Allah. Now, the enemy is in front of you and the sea behind. You fight for His cause. Either you will be victorious or martyred. There is no third choice. All means of escape have been destroyed.

Thus the derived phrase  ‘burning one’s boat.’

The success of the Muslim army was amazing.  Roderic was defeated and killed.  His rule in Spain came to an abrupt end.  His soldiers fled to Toledo, central Spain. On learning of Tareq’s victory, Commander Musa bin Nusair arrived in Spain with an infantry of 18,000. The two generals took more than two-thirds of the Iberian Peninsula.   Saragossa, Barcelona and then Portugal fell one after another. Pyrenees was crossed and Lyons in France was also taken.  Spain remained under Muslim rule for more than 750 years, from 711 to 1492, much longer than the Western Roman Empire that lasted for 450 years or less.  Tareq’s expedition to Spain remains a unique and unforgettable episode in medieval military history.  

Briefly on the circumstances that led to the conquest of Spain: 

Spain was under the Visigoth rule since the 5th century.  Their capital was in Toledo, central Spain just south of the city of Madrid.  Visigoths were incompetent administrators.  They called the Church to help them manage the affairs of the state.  That was a catastrophic move.  It provided the Church with absolute power to coerce people into Christianity.  Consequently, instead of having a single inept and despotic rule, Spain now had two - the Visigoths and the Church.  It was a period when the rich got richer immersed in opulence and the poor became still poorer.  Farmers and peasants suffered the most.  They were subjected to double taxation, by the Visigoths rulers as well as the Church.  Many farmers and their families barely had enough to eat.  The Spanish Jews were another segment of the society that suffered discrimination.  They were prohibited from owning property and barred from practicing their religion in public.  The Church cracked down on them several times when they protested.  In the 6th century the Visigoths decided to accept some of the demands of the Jews and grant them a little more freedom.  The Church, which was more powerful than the Visigoths, was furious and sacked the Visigoth king, replacing him with a Visigoth military man named Roderic (a notorious debauch) as the king of Spain.  Thus, the oppression and persecution of the poor and unprivileged went from bad to worse.  They were highly dissatisfied.  Many of them wanted the Muslim rulers of North Africa to relieve them of the fetters of virtual slavery and establish an egalitarian society. 

After the Ommayad takeover of Morocco in 711 AD, most of the Visigoths had left the country.  Among the few that were still in Morocco was Julian, Count of Ceuta (in northern Morocco), a titular figure with no power but substantial wealth.  In this period Roderic, a Visigoth, was the king of Spain.  Julian sent his daughter, Florinda, for education at the court of Roderic, a traditional custom of European aristocrats.  It is not known to what extent the girl respected her status as a peeress.  But reportedly she wasn't given the traditional esteem and courtesy considered necessary for a female aristocrat by the elites in the palace; and at some point things went horribly wrong when the girl was raped by King Roderic.  Julian was livid when he learned of this incident.  As an act of revenge against Roderic, Julian entered into a treaty with Tariq bin Ziyad assisting him with additional money and galleons to land in Spain and fight Roderic.  Though Tariq would have managed this military operation without Julian's help, the latter's cooperation made it simpler. Modern Western historians acknowledge that Julian supported Ziyad's expedition to Spain.  But some deny the accusation of rape against Roderic out of embarrassment, without citing any other reasons why a Visigoth count would support a Muslim military general to topple a Visigoth king.  There can be only two reasons - political ambition to grab power himself or personal enmity.  Julian was an apolitical person with no influence, no backing and no ambitions.  But he did harbor a deep personal resentment against Roderic.

Thus, the foothills of the rock where Tariq bin Ziyad with his army debarked was henceforth named after him, Jabal Tariq (جبل طارق)  which translates into ‘Mountain of Tariq.’   And the southern Spanish town of Tarifa got its name after Tarif bin Malek-Naqi who arrived a little later with a reinforcement of cavalrymen.

Jabal Tariq was gradually distorted to “Gibraltar” by the Europeans. 

In 1704 the colonizers of the British Isle established their enclave in Jabal Tariq (Gibraltar), turning it into a base during battles that began with the Napoleonic wars.  In 1830 'Gibraltar' became a British colony.  When the Suez Canal opened in the 1860s, control of Gibraltar became still more important for the British to have easy access to their colonies at East Africa and South Asia via the Mediterranean.

In 1995, when Gibraltar was a British territory, a new £5 bill was issued in which Queen Elizabeth II was honored having her image printed on the opposite side of this bill on which appeared the portrait of Tariq bin Ziyad. 

At present the population of Jabal Tariq is 35,000.  The fast ferry between Tangier in northern Morocco and Tarifa in southern Spain takes only 40 minutes to cross the Strait of Jabal Tariq.  Presumably in earlier times voyaging on medieval galleons was  a little more time consuming.

Some paintings, photos, of Jabal Tariq:

Painting of the Rock of Jabbal Tariq (Gibraltar) by Vilhelm Melbye in 1880.

Photo of Jabal Tariq taken from hills of Tarifa in 2007.
Source of image
Wikimedia

Lithograph print of medieval galleons crossing
the strait of Jabal Tariq in 1860.

Source: Old Print Gallery

Art showing Visgoths trying to cross Gibraltar to invade North Africa through Morocco. 
But this strait isn't always calm. In windy or stormy weather, it can be awfully
rough as seen here. The attackers couldn't make it.  Their fleet sank and history
has no more information about them.  They were drowned. 
This was prior to the Muslim conquest of Spain, the rock was not called
Jabal Tariq (Gibraltar) at that time.

Source: Gibraltar Intro Blogspot.

A modern photo of Jabal Tariq with the view of the hills in North Africa on the other side.
Taken from Shutterstock, sorry for the watermark.

Related posts:

-  Rise and Fall of Islamic Spain (Al-Andalusia)
-  The Last Muslim Ruler of Islamic Spain (Al-Andalusia)
-  Muslim Dynasties that ruled Iberian Peninsula (Al-Andalusia) - a recap

Also, for more details, visit this page from History of Islam by Nazeer Ahmed and Qanita Sedick.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 05:04:12 am »

I was helping my little daughter learning the physical features of "Gibraltar" in her geography school textbook the other day.  Nowhere in that textbook was there a single mention of the origin of this distortion.  Nonetheless I mentioned this point to my daughter briefly .. I also had to tell her not to write this point during a written test for they would not like it.  So you see  .. this is how the culture of distortions becomes the real name while the real name is slipped under the rug. 

It's is beautiful post with very enjoyable images.   It has always been my desire to see this place.  Shortly prior to the pandemic my husband promised that Insh'Allah, some day we'll take a brief vacation there.  He too is desperate to see it.  But then suddenly came the pandemic and now we don't know when it will be safe to travel that far.  It's all up to Allah The Greatest. 

Thank you Sister Heba.  Your exposure of relevant facts is hugely welcomed by me. 

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 05:23:54 am »

Another lovely piece of Islamic history with a much needed correction of its title "Gibraltar."   Just the kind of read my dad would adore, so must send it to him.

🙂

Thanks Sister Heba.   

Btw .. I'm sure my dad would love to add some information on the system of Muslim governance in Andalusia.  He just loves this era.   Insh'Allah, I will tell him to write it and will quote it here.   
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 05:26:18 am »

Btw .. I'm sure my dad would love to add some information on the system of Muslim governance in Andalusia.  He just loves this era.   Insh'Allah, I will tell him to write it and will quote it here.   

👍
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 05:30:00 am »

Sounds excellent.  I'll be honored to have his views.   Do request him to post it here.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 05:32:12 am »

My dad doesn't know keyboarding, he types like one word in five minutes or more.  😊

But with a pen and paper he can write quite fast and enthusiastically. 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 05:35:08 am »

O yeah, I forgot.   I absolutely understand that .....
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2022, 11:34:07 am »

Salam to all.   Sorry for the delay.   Briefly, on the infrastructure and system in Al-Andalusia (Islamic Spain) summarized by my dad.

QUOTE:

Al-Andalus (or Al Andalusia) is the term for the Iberian peninsula (Spain and Portugal) ruled by the Muslims from early 8th century until late 15th century.   All historians around the world recognize this expression.

The system of governance that existed in Andalusia was altogether different from the ones that existed in medieval Europe.  No properties nor estates were confiscated.  Introduction of a fair system of taxation brought huge revenues.  Taxes were fixed to a fifth of the produce.   Slavery was abolished.  All existing serfdoms were eradicated.  This was one of the chief reasons why so many Spaniards came into the fold of Islam, to escape slavery.  Attractive wages for work and labor were introduced.  Christians and Jews were entitled for protection from the state and had their own judges to settle their disputes.   

Andalusia became the largest trade center in the world with markets of silk, brocades, carpets, spices, natural perfumes, tableware  and much more attracting merchants, dealers and brokers from various parts of the world. 

Streets of cities were  paved and lighted, the lights being attached to the outer doors and corners of the houses, thus Al-Andalusia getting its name “Cities of Light” by Western historians themselves.   Cordoba had three miles of public lighting in the streets.  These street lights were fueled by tallow candles.

The vast irrigation projects with many new canals increased the agricultural produce threefold.

One of the most significant achievements was the intellectual progress making Andalusia the center of arts and sciences. 

With numerous constructions of mosques, gardens, hospitals, libraries and mansions, the land turned into a marvel of the middle ages. 

It was a startling contrast from the very low literacy rate of the rest of Europe alongside intolerance and Catholic fanaticism.   To get an idea of that, when Ibn Abbas al-Zahrawi, the pioneer of modern surgery, invented the catgut in Cordoba, Andalusia, in the 10th century, the Pope in Rome announced “beware of a man in Cordoba who carries out sorcery poking needles in the flesh and blood of humans.”   Unfortunately such fanaticism arrived in Spain after the fall of Andalusia in 1492 when Isbella and Ferdinand unleashed a reign of terror, forcibly converting Muslims and Jews to Roman Catholicism and death or expulsion to those who refused conversion.  Those who refused conversion as well as expulsion were executed by torture – quartered or burned at the stake – horrifying methods of execution ordered by popes and other authorities of the Catholic Church.   It was known as the Institution of the Inquisition terrifying Europe for nearly 500 years and was abolished as late as the 1800s, after the Napoleonic wars.

Countless beautiful Andalusian structures were pulled down on Isabella’s orders.  Even the plush and convenient Turkish baths were destroyed.  It is commonly spoken that after the fall of Andalusia, Muslims were not only prevented from following their Faith, but were also prevented from taking a bath.  According to medieval orthodox Christianity, bathing was viewed as “nakedness” and therefore symbolic of “immorality.”  Isabella boasted she never took a bath more than once in four months!

The year 1492 was a double tragedy – fall of Andalusia, and discovery of America by the roving pirate, Christopher Columbus, and his comrades initiating genocide of the indigenous people of the new continent, slaughtering over 55 million natives over 200 years from 1500s to 1700s ..  ethnic cleansing and forced assimilation of survivors.

UNQUOTE:

And now enjoy some marvelous and unique paintings and vintage photos on Islamic Spain (Al-Andalusia).  A set of altogether 15 images from many more selected from our Pinterest board. 

A famous digital artwork of 10th century Cordoba with street lights and floral décor.  Plenty of digital artworks have popped up of the lighted floral alleys of Andalusian cities.

'Gate of Justice' built by Nasrid ruler of Al Andalusia, Sultan Yusuf I, in1348. The largest of Alhumbra's 4 gates for protection against foreign attacks. Art George Owen Synne Apperley.

The Alhambra Palace, Granada, Andalusia (Islamic Spain).  Oil painting from CTAF (Cape Town Art Fair).  ‘Alhambra' in Arabic means 'red' referring to the sun-dried red bricks of fine gravel and clay used for building the outer walls of the Palace.  The Alhambra complex is one of the top tourist attractions in Spain.  It’s current address is “C. Real de la Alhambra, s/n, 18009 Granada, Spain.”

Vintage photography of Andalusian style courtyard.

Photograph from Lost Islamic History;  a peek at one of the many architectural wonders inside Alhambra Palace in Granada.

Vintage photography of architectural garden in Seville, Andalusia.

Exterior Andalusian architecture, archways with traditional foliage and flowers.  Artist unknown.

Life in city of Granada, a poetized image.

Caption: Enrique Lihn Carrasco, Chilean poet.
Artist Rafael Duenas.

Describing the loveliness of life in Andalusian era (translation of caption) “Fantasy weaves stories like these, but the imagination is fulfilled in the silence of the poem that is born.”

Princess Zaida of Seville, daughter of Al Motamid (ruler of Seville) of Abbadid dynasty in Andalusia prior to the Al-Moravids and Nasirids.  After her father, Al-Motamid, was toppled by Yusuf  bin Tashfin of Al-Moravid dynasty, she and her family were exiled to Morocco.  From that point onward in the year early 1090s  when Princiess Zaida was comfortably living in exile in Morocco with her family, an impersonator appeared in Seville calling herself “Princess Zaida” and masquerading as the daughter of the last ruler of Seville, then becoming the mistress of Alfonso, ruler of Castile, telling the world that she was a Muslim princess and Al-Motamid’s daughter who had embraced Christianity becoming Alfonso’s mistress.   One of the biggest hoaxes in history and a propaganda to humiliate the real princess.  Artist, perhaps Alfred Dehodencq, but not confirmed.  Read the propaganda here.

Court of Yusuf ibn Tashfin of Almoravid dynasty in Andalusia  that succeeded the Abbadids and  preceded the Nasirids.  Art Jean Joseph Constant.

A covered courtyard inside Alhambra palace for ladies of the household.  Art Frederick Arthus Bridgman.

Daily life in Andalusia .. relaxing room for the ladies.  Art F.A. Bridgman.

Granada, Andalusia:  Musical interlude, female musicians playing for the lady, Alhambra courtyard overlooking the fountain. Artist Noëlle Hugo Pacheco. 

Family of the last Muslim ruler, Abu Abdallah Muhammad XII, prepare to leave Granada, 1492. Artist Manuel Gómez-Moreno González, work dated 1880.

Abu Abdallah Muhammad XII, last Muslim ruler of Spain, Nasirid dynasty.  Artist Francisco Pradilla Ortiz.

Fall of Andalusia 1492. Muhammad XII the last King of Islamic Spain breaks down into tears during his departure as he looks back at Granada for the last time from a hilltop.  Artist unknown.

Related posts:

-  The last Muslim ruler of Andalusia   

Video:  Rise and Fall of Islamic Spain  (1 hour and 55 minutes)

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2022, 01:16:22 pm »

Wa'salaam dear brother.   Many thanks to your dad for this wonderful, brief and comprehensive input on the environment, society and system in Andalusia.   And your selection of images from our board makes it more interesting.  What fabulous times!   I so much wish I lived back then in Andalusia than now, anywhere in the rotten 'modern' world.   The story of Andalusia begins happily but ends with rivers of tears.  Abu Abdallah Muhammad  XII was a good and honest man.  Unfortunately by that time there was much infighting and intrigues among the family and extended families of the ruler, each having their own line of loyalists.  This very negative turn of events weakened Granada while the ever greedy Isabella and Ferdinand were watching like a hawk to devour them.

Pleases don't forget to thank your dad.   May Allah bless all of you.  Ameen.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2022, 01:32:40 pm »

..  I so much wish I lived back then in Andalusia than now, anywhere in the rotten 'modern' world.   .. 

Sis, I wish that too, all the time !  😃   As time advances, this world keeps getting shittier ..

Brother TS, big thanks to your dad and yourself.  It was such a pleasure going through this post with those adorable images.  Mash'Allah.

Btw, I've been wondering how the Amazighs got the name "Berbers" ? 

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2022, 01:40:00 pm »

Btw, I've been wondering how the Amazighs got the name "Berbers" ?

There are 2 differing views on that.  First, certain tribes of North Africa and Europe were called barbarus (which means barbarians) by the Greeks to denigrate and distinguish them from the Hellenic culture and community.  The Romans borrowed this word from the Greeks.   With the passing of years, barbarus became Berbers.   From the same Greek origin barbarus and for the same reason, the Germanic people in the BC era were also called 'Barbarians' lasting until the middle ages.  It's funny that the Romans picked up this word from the Greeks because the Greeks included the Romans as "barbarus" too. 

Another opinion claims that the name 'Berbers' did not originate from "barbarus" nor does it have any connection with the term "barbarian."  A French archaeologist and historian, Gabriel Camps, born in Algeria in the 1920s, says that the word "Berbers" originates from the name of their ancient tribe called 'Bavares.'

Only Allah Almighty knows which of the two opinions is correct.   Most likely the first one I suppose.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2022, 01:40:53 pm »

I see, thanks Sis.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: