Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 18, 2024, 11:07:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Severing ties with relatives

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Severing ties with relatives  (Read 443 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: May 08, 2018, 01:34:18 am »

BismEm

"Would you then, if you were given the command, work corruption in the land and sever your ties of kinship?"   (47:22)  Surah Muhammed.

Does this Verse exclusively refer to personal relations between relatives?   I mean, what if a relative of mine is nasty and domineering and I detest that person (male or female)?   I feel very sure that Allah Almighty does allow us to make our own personal decisions in such situations. If we feel unable to cope with such snotty critters, we can by all means decide to stay away from them in silence.  I don't mean to indulge in a quarrel with anyone, but just mind my own business, leave them to their own devices and avoid contact with them. 

Need you feedback on this topic dear MV team Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 04:35:47 am »

As-Salam Alaykum Sister Ruhi.   Actually this Verse does not refer to personal relations with relatives.   Though the Noble Quran does greatly emphasize upon kindness towards relatives, Verse 47:22 does not refer to severing personal ties because of personal differences.  This can be perceived by reading the two preceding Verses 47:20 and 21 quoted as follows:

"And those who believe say: If only a surah were revealed! But when a decisive surah is revealed and war is mentioned therein, you see those in whose hearts is a disease looking at you with the look of men fainting unto death. Therefor woe unto them!
Obedience and a civil word. Then, when the matter is determined, if they are loyal to Allah it will be well for them."   (47:20-21).

As we can easily understand, the above two Verses imply assisting the Prophet (pbuh) by fulfilling one's defense duties for the protection of Islam.  There were many who professed to be believers, yet they were fearful of the kuffar and unwilling to participate in battles against enemies who were a threat to Medinah.  Allah Almighty expresses His disappointment over such folks.  If they changed and proved to be loyal towards Allah, it would be better for their own souls.  Thus the reference in Verses 47:20-21 is to military duties and war. 

Then in V. 47:22 Allah Almighty alludes to these people, that if they slide back into disbelief (like before) and get the upper hand or become victorious, they will resume their destructive acts, the spread of corrupt practices and revoke friendly treaties between the various tribes and clans (that sprung from the same family tree decades or centuries ago).  This is what "sever your ties of kinship" refers to, that is, severing ties between brotherly clans at a political or community level rather than personal one-on-one relationship with a member or some members of one's immediate or extended family.

There used to be peace treaties between tribes as well as various agreements for cooperation in trade, agriculture, water-sharing etc.  These treaties created strong brotherly bonds between tribes and clans and promoted stability within the community.  Severing the ties by breaking the treaties led to turmoil and destruction. 

Highlighting the importance of showing kindness to immediate and extended family at a personal level, and also kindness towards those who aren't related to us is evident from the following Verses:

V.2:83
"And (remember) when We made a covenant with the Children of Israel, (saying): Worship none save Allah (only), and be good to parents and to kindred and to orphans and the needy, and speak kindly to mankind; and establish worship and pay the poor-due." 

V. 2:177
"It is not righteousness that you turn your faces to the East and the West; but righteous is he who believes in Allah and the Last Day and the angels and the Scripture and the prophets; and gives wealth, for love of Him, to kinsfolk and to orphans and the needy and the wayfarer and to those who ask, and to set slaves free;"

V. 4:8
"And when kinsfolk and orphans and the needy are present at the division (of the heritage), bestow on them therefrom and speak kindly unto them."

V. 16:90
"Lo! Allah enjoins justice and kindness, and giving to kinsfolk, and forbids lewdness and abomination and wickedness. He exhorts you in order that ye may take heed."

V. 17:26
"Give the kinsman his due, and the needy, and the wayfarer, and squander not (your wealth) in wantonness."

V.24:22
"And let not those who possess dignity and ease among you swear not to give to the near of kin and to the needy, and to fugitives for the cause of Allah.  Let them forgive and show indulgence. Yearn you not that Allah may forgive you?    Allah is Forgiving, Merciful."

Personal ties with family and extended family is generally underscored in the Noble Quran by indicating compassion and kindness. 

Needless to say, it's presumed that you maintain friendly and cooperataive ties with relatives provided they are not hurtful, envious, abusive, bossy or scandalous;  also provided they don't carry a negative influence on you and your family through immorality or disbelief.   If their behavior makes you uncomfortable, then you are certainly entitled to respectfully quit their company.  After all, Allah has never made it mandatory upon us to force ourselves spending time in the company of those we aren't compatible or comfortable with.  Neither has The Almighty given the entitlement to any relative to behave in a way that's intolerable to other relatives ... like trying to take over their lives.  The important aspect is that we should move away respectfully without creating more unpleasantness. 

If some of your close relatives or close friends are pushy disbelievers, then as a firm believer you would surely feel uneasy with them.  In such a situation it's incumbent on you to quit the company of these folks, regardless of how close a relative or friend they might be.

"O you who believe!  Choose not your fathers nor your brethren for friends if they take pleasure in disbelief rather than faith.  Whoso of you takes them for friends, such are wrong-doers."  (9:23)  At-Taubah.

Related post:    Blood relationship comes before friendship (Al-Ahzab)

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 01:45:46 am »

Waleykum As-Salam and many thanks dear brother.  That was very thorough information.  I knew the answer to my query was there.  Alhumdulilah.  Allah NEVER demands anything unreasonable from anyone.

V.24:22
"And let not those who possess dignity and ease among you swear not to give to the near of kin and to the needy, and to fugitives for the cause of Allah.  Let them forgive and show indulgence. Yearn you not that Allah may forgive you?    Allah is Forgiving, Merciful."

I think this Verse has a reference to a specific incident or event, right?

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 10:34:59 pm »

Very well put brother TS.   Very rational and sensible read that goes perfectly in line with the principles of our Noble Quran.   Allah bless.

V.24:22 ...   I think this Verse has a reference to a specific incident or event, right?

Sister Ruhi, according to the commentary of Mohammed M. Pickthall, Verse 24:22 refers to the slanderers of Aisha.   Of course, Pickthall mentions the source as tradition, so only Allah Almighty would know the exact reference of this Verse.   Pickthall states that some traditional source (or sources) says that some people who slandered Aisha -- over the incident in which she was mistakenly left behind in a march while returning (probably from a battlefield) and was accompanied home by a decent man who let her ride on his camel -- were among the relatives of Abu Bakr (Aisha's father) who were financially supported by him.    Abu Bakr was very upset over their gossips and decided not to give them any financial support from himself.  According to some readers and commentators of the Quran, Verse 24:22 is a reference to Abu Bakr and those in similar position with the advise to forgive.   But as I mentioned, only Allah knows best the precise reference.   I can only say that the reference as suggested by Pickthall of V.24:22 maybe correct because all preceding Verses from 11 to 21 of this Surah refer to the same incident, slanderers of Aisha.  But I repeat, Allah-o-Alim.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 12:30:17 am »

O!  many thanks dear Sis.  I never knew this ...... and I also forgot about my own query.  Big thanks again.   So ... though it's a traditional source, the aspect of credibility does come when you focus on the preceding Verses dealing with the same topic.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 12:50:18 am »

Very useful question and very educative response.  I also read about Pickthall's commentary of V.24:22 as mentioned by Sis Heba.   I agree, that commentary can be viewed as credible, focusing on the preceding Verses 11 to 21.   However, only Allah knows the precise truth.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 01:18:32 am »

Ohh!  my belated apology Sister Ruhi for totally forgetting to answer your query .. and it's been well over a year, I still wouldn't remember if I hadn't got this notification of Sister Heba responding.  Indeed only Allah knows best.  However, that commentary from Pickthall, which I've also read, sounds reasonable considering the fact (as Sister said) about ten preceding Verses of Verse 24:22 discuss the slanderers of Ayesha. 

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 01:21:18 am »

No problem brother  Cheesy    .... I too forgot to remind 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: