Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 08:55:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Al Naschar's fortune

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Al Naschar's fortune  (Read 1270 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: August 10, 2018, 03:30:51 am »

As-Salam Alaykum dear kiddos.  A summertime story.  Who wants to go out and play when weather gets just a bit warm in Canada?   Cheesy    So enjoy this story and retain the lesson it teaches.

It's from the medieval Arabian Nights tales, a fictional story, "Barber's fifth son," that was Al Naschar. 

Al Naschar was a spoiled and idle young man who inherited one hundred silver coins at the death of his beloved father.  He planned a business with the silver coins so the profit would multiply.  After buying several exquisite little glass bottles from a wholesale merchant, he placed each coin in a bottle and put the bottles in a costly basket.  He shared an old tailor's shop where he sat at the open door, his precious merchandise in the uncovered basket in front of him as he waited for the attention of passers-by.   His eyes were fixed on the basket, but his thoughts wandered far and wide.  Lost in his daydreams, Al Naschar began to talk aloud to himself as the old tailor heard and watched ....   

""In selling the hundred silver coins piece by piece, I shall make two hundred, and these two hundred I shall again lay out in glass from which will produce four hundred.  When I have got ten thousand I will give up the glass trade and become a jeweler.  I will trade in pearls, diamonds, and other precious stones.   Having all the wealth that heart can desire, I will buy a beautiful country house, with horses and slaves.   At my feasts I will send for musicians and dancers to amuse my guests.   In spite of my riches I shall not  give up my trade till I have amassed a capital of a hundred thousand dirhams.   I shall then request the hand of the grand-vizir's beautiful daughter.  Should the vizir refuse my proposal, I will seize him by the beard and drag him to my house"" ....   

Absorbed in his wishful thoughts Al Naschar went on and on. He was barely aware of the theatrical moves of his body and accidentally kicked the basket hard with his foot.   The ornate glass bottles broke into bits, the silver coins went rolling hither and thither and the old tailor burst into hysterical bouts of laughter! 

Moral of the story: 
-  Get into the habit of saying "InshAllah" (if Allah Wills), always.
-  Be real, not surreal.  Merely building castles in the sky won't help you climb up to reach it.

Artist: William Lockhart captioned "Al Naschar's fortune."

Related posts:
~ Islamic Tale of Sleeping Beauty
~ Rapunzel Islamic tale
~ Prince and the peasant girl
~ Cinderella Islamic tale
~ Snow White Islamic tale
~ The Wise Vizier
~ Lion, rats, deep pit and honey-drops
~ The Believer and the atheist
~  Mole, Rat, Toad and Badger - Wind in the Willows 

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 03:42:40 am »

Wowie!  love it.  How sweet   Cheesy   My kids gonna like it too.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 05:37:03 am »

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 08:41:16 am »

lol ,, this story is quite well known in Syria and Lebanon.  But I never saw this illustration before.  Very interesting image.  Actually the story is much longer. The guy gets duped and trapped by thieves and robbers until finally he's rescued by his brother.  The other lesson should be not to trust strangers.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 02:51:48 am »

Lovely read dear Sis Ruhi  Cheesy  You've articulated it great to support the image.   I heard this a few times as a bedtime story from my mom during my primary school days.  What follows is something to the effect that AlNashar returns home with whatever of the silver coins he could salvage. Then an old woman knocks at the door for some water to do wudu. He lets her in.  While going she tells him she works in the mansion of a beautiful rich lady who is looking for a husband.  AlNashar goes with her to meet this lady along with his silver coins to give as dowry.  There he gets robbed, beaten and thrown into a dungeon-like place, presumed dead.  Next day he gathers some strength and crawls out, somehow opening the trapdoor and returning home.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 03:19:16 am »

Grin  yes Sister Zeynab, in a nutshell that was one episode that followed.  Yet this isn't the end.  The guy then sought revenge. Disguised as a woman he waited in the streets lined with souqs where he spotted that old hag again.  He requested if she could help him weigh his gold coins as "she" was a stranger in this city just arrived from Persia.  The old hag thought she hooked another prey and took him to the same mansion.  There AlNashar killed all the bad guys.  The much talked about beautiful rich lady said she was kidnapped by the thieves and brought here.  But at this point AlNachar was concerned about reimbursing his stolen possessions.  So he went out to collect few other men so they could remove the costly gold furniture and the piled up gold coins .. maybe share with those other helpers.  But when he returned, the so-called beautiful lady had vanished with all the gold coins.  Nonetheless, he removed the very costly furniture which more than made up for the money they stole from him.    But when AlNachar and his men left, he absentmindedly left the door of the mansion open.  The neighbors seeing the place vacant and empty thought it was raided by thieves and informed the police. Next morning AlNachar was arrested and taken to court before the judge.  He told the entire story to the judge and requested to be allowed to keep some of the furniture to compensate for the stolen coins.  But the judge refused.  Instead he ordered Alnachar to leave the town.  The poor guy obeyed the judge powerlessly, and as he was walking away to a neighboring town to live in exile, he was intervened by a band of highway robbers who stole all his humble traveling possessions including his outer garment.  The poor man was left by the roadside wearing only a torn pajama and vest, until someone informed his brother of the incident.  His brother rushed, took him back home under cover of the night and since then he began living in his home with his brothers happily ever after.  Obviously the law in those days wasn't as insensitive as today toward innocent victims, in that, it forgave them with the passage of time.

Cheesy Grin Cheesy   Indeed an interesting adventurous summer read for kiddies.  My nieces and nephew read it this morning as they sat at my desktop ..... and then I spent another one hour telling them the rest of the story .. that everyone who looks innocent may not be a good guy.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 03:32:01 am »

O I see!   Smiley    This would make a great kids' movie or cartoon.  I too read it with rapt attention.    Thanks brother TS and Sis Ruhi.   The moral of the storyline is extremely useful - first, 'InshAllah' and realism and  secondly, a big pinch of distrust is better than too much trust when you see a stranger acting too kind. 

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 03:32:55 am »

Exactly Sister.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 08:28:59 am »

Fascinating.  Poor AlNachar was too ignorant.  He thought he could control the opportunities in life.  So, as one of his father's heirs, he started of with a hundred silver coins and ended in torn pajamas.

But I wonder why the judge exiled him.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 08:42:14 am »

lol, that's right.  From silver coins to torn pajamas. 

The old arabian nights story book we have in our bookshelf which contains this story mentions that the judge told him to leave town otherwise he might "seek justice from the Caliph" of the town he was living in.  Maybe this implied the judge was a crook, that he intended to swindle the costly furniture himself and in that case appealing to the caliph would mean the judge getting into trouble. So he wanted AlNachar out.

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 08:43:52 am »

Ah, okay.  That's similar to modern-day corruption.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 08:44:53 am »

ha ha ha   Cheesy   yes right.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 06:14:23 am »

Wowie!  thanks brother and sisters.  I didn't know of so many details that followed.   

More for kiddies to learn than I thought ....
   gdbi
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 02:11:53 pm »

I discovered recently there's also another version of this painting, showing Al-Nashar's valuables lying broken in pieces and the regretful man sitting forlorn with his hands clasping his head.   This work was by artist Charles Robertson in 1870s based on the same Arabian Nights fiction.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2021, 02:14:26 pm »

This is also a lovely painting  👍
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: