Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 07:50:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Islam’ and ‘Muslim’ in Quran

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Islam’ and ‘Muslim’ in Quran  (Read 1474 times)
guest1162

Badges: (View All)
« on: October 18, 2018, 10:03:57 pm »

بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ

The word ‘Islam’ and ‘Muslim’ as generally understood have somewhat different connotation when used in Quran. People generally believe the word ‘Islam’, means a particular religion. Likewise those people who follow this religion of Islam are known as Muslims. However, when used in Quran, the Word ‘Islam’ means ‘Peace’. ‘Al-Islam’ is ‘the Peace’ which Allah asks the believers to obtain as per guidance given in Al-Quran. ‘Al-Islam’ when mentioned in Al-Quran is not a religion but a Judgment (Deen). The word for religion in Arabic is ‘Millat’. The word ‘Deen’ in Arabic means ‘Judgment’ as in (مَالِكِ يَوْمِ الدِّينِ).  ‘Deen’ of ‘Islam’ means, the judgment to choose the way leading to peace. Some important Arabic words and their meanings related to this topic are given below:

Islam :   Peace

Muslim: Submitter

Deen:  Judgment

The Arabic root word ( س ل م  ) conveys connotation of  safety/security/freedom/immunity, to escape, salutation/greeting/peace, deliver/acknowledge, pay in advance, submit, sincerity, humility, submission/conformance/obedience, resign/quit/relinquish, to be in sound condition, well without blemish, gentle/tender/soft/elegant. Solomon/Suleiman.

The Word Islam and Muslim both are from root word (س ل م ). ‘Islam’ is used in Quran  meaning  ‘Peace’. Word ‘Salam’ is used as Peace and as a Greeting. ‘Muslim’ in Quran conveys meanings of ‘Submitter’. When Quran mentions ‘Muslim’ it means, the one who submits to the Judgment and Will of Allah, other wise in language it just means ‘submitter’.

In this post we will review what Al-Quran says about Islam (peace) and Muslim (submitter):

10:25  وَاللَّهُ يَدْعُو إِلَىٰ دَارِ السَّلَامِ وَيَهْدِي مَن يَشَاءُ إِلَىٰ صِرَاطٍ مُّسْتَقِيمٍ

And Allah invites towards the circle of the Peace. He  guides whom He pleases to a way that is straight..

5:16  يَهْدِي بِهِ اللَّهُ مَنِ اتَّبَعَ رِضْوَانَهُ سُبُلَ السَّلَامِ وَيُخْرِجُهُم مِّنَ الظُّلُمَاتِ إِلَى النُّورِ بِإِذْنِهِ وَيَهْدِيهِمْ إِلَىٰ صِرَاطٍ مُّسْتَقِيمٍ

With it (Quran) Allah guides those who seek His good pleasure to ways of the Peace (and safety), and leads them out of darkness, by His will, into the light,- guides them to a path that is straight.

2:208  يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا ادْخُلُوا فِي السِّلْمِ كَافَّةً وَلَا تَتَّبِعُوا خُطُوَاتِ الشَّيْطَانِ ۚ إِنَّهُ لَكُمْ عَدُوٌّ مُّبِينٌ

O’ People who believe, Enter into Peace completely; and follow not the footsteps of Satan for he is an open enemy to you.

61:7  وَمَنْ أَظْلَمُ مِمَّنِ افْتَرَىٰ عَلَى اللَّهِ الْكَذِبَ وَهُوَ يُدْعَىٰ إِلَى الْإِسْلَامِ ۚ وَاللَّهُ لَا يَهْدِي الْقَوْمَ الظَّالِمِينَ

Who does greater wrong than one who invents falsehood against Allah, even as he is being invited to Al-Islam/the Peace? And Allah guides not those who do wrong.

This is a really thought provoking Ayat. Allah declares who can be a bigger oppressor than he, who is invited towards the Islam/Peace, but he rejects the Peace and prefers a way of violence and warfare as his judgment by inventing lies on Allah. Verily Allah does not guide these people who have love of violence in their hearts. (https://topicsfromquran.com/2018/06/30/non-physical-fighting-2/).

3:85  وَمَن يَبْتَغِ غَيْرَ الْإِسْلَامِ دِينًا فَلَن يُقْبَلَ مِنْهُ وَهُوَ فِي الْآخِرَةِ مِنَ الْخَاسِرِينَ

If anyone desire a Deen/judgment other than Al-Islam/the Peace never will be accepted of him and in the hereafter he will be from those who are the losers.

In any situation that one encounters in life, he has to choose the option leading to Peace and security. Any judgment leading to violence, corruption and aggression i.e against peace, is not going to be accepted by Allah.

25:63  وَعِبَادُ الرَّحْمَٰنِ الَّذِينَ يَمْشُونَ عَلَى الْأَرْضِ هَوْنًا وَإِذَا خَاطَبَهُمُ الْجَاهِلُونَ قَالُوا سَلَامًا

And the servants of (Allah) Most Gracious are those who walk on the earth in humility, and when the ignorant ones address them, they say,”Salam/Peace!”;

28:55  وَإِذَا سَمِعُوا اللَّغْوَ أَعْرَضُوا عَنْهُ وَقَالُوا لَنَا أَعْمَالُنَا وَلَكُمْ أَعْمَالُكُمْ سَلَامٌ عَلَيْكُمْ لَا نَبْتَغِي الْجَاهِلِينَ

And when they hear vain talk, they turn away therefrom and say. “To us our deeds, and to you yours; Salam/Peace be to you. we seek not the ignorant.”

6:54  وَإِذَا جَاءَكَ الَّذِينَ يُؤْمِنُونَ بِآيَاتِنَا فَقُلْ سَلَامٌ عَلَيْكُمْ ۖ كَتَبَ رَبُّكُمْ عَلَىٰ نَفْسِهِ الرَّحْمَةَ ۖ أَنَّهُ مَنْ عَمِلَ مِنكُمْ سُوءًا بِجَهَالَةٍ ثُمَّ تَابَ مِن بَعْدِهِ وَأَصْلَحَ فَأَنَّهُ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ

When those come to you(The Messenger) who believe in Our Signs, Say. “Salam/Peace be on you. Your Lord has written mercy on His Nafs/self. Such that if any of you did evil in ignorance, and thereafter repented, and amend (his conduct), then verily, He is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

15:45-46  إِنَّ الْمُتَّقِينَ فِي جَنَّاتٍ وَعُيُونٍ  ادْخُلُوهَا بِسَلَامٍ آمِنِينَ

The righteous (will be) amid gardens and fountains (Their greeting will be). “Enter ye here in peace and security.”

19:33  وَالسَّلَامُ عَلَيَّ يَوْمَ وُلِدتُّ وَيَوْمَ أَمُوتُ وَيَوْمَ أُبْعَثُ حَيًّا

(Prophet Essa said) And the Salam/Peace is on me the day I was born , and the day when I die and the day when I shall be raised to life.

47:35  فَلَا تَهِنُوا وَتَدْعُوا إِلَى السَّلْمِ وَأَنتُمُ الْأَعْلَوْنَ وَاللَّهُ مَعَكُمْ وَلَن يَتِرَكُمْ أَعْمَالَكُمْ

Be not disheartened (you believers), and invite towards Peace (ISLAM), you are of the higher rank and Allah is with you, and He will never put you in loss for your (good) deeds.

3:19  إِنَّ الدِّينَ عِندَ اللَّهِ الْإِسْلَامُ ۗ وَمَا اخْتَلَفَ الَّذِينَ أُوتُوا الْكِتَابَ إِلَّا مِن بَعْدِ مَا جَاءَهُمُ الْعِلْمُ بَغْيًا بَيْنَهُمْ ۗ وَمَن يَكْفُرْ بِآيَاتِ اللَّهِ فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ سَرِيعُ الْحِسَابِ

The Deen/judgment before Allah is Al-Islam (the Peace) nor did the Ahlal-Kitab/People of the Book differed except to wrong each other, after knowledge had come to them, And if any cover/rejects the Ayas/Signs of Allah, Allah is swift in taking account.

The people only differed in mutual enmity, after the Book has been given to them and they acquired knowledge of the Book. The intention for seeking knowledge from the Book should be to get guidance and correct one’s actions, and not to prove each other wrong in matters of knowledge.

Muslims in Quran:
The word ‘Muslim’ is also from the same root word ( س ل م ). It means ‘submitter’. All those who have been submitting to the Will of Allah and His Words, since day one on Earth, are Muslims/submitters to Allah.

2:103  إِذْ قَالَ لَهُ رَبُّهُ أَسْلِمْ ۖ قَالَ أَسْلَمْتُ لِرَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ

When his Lord said to him (Ibraheem). “Submit” He said. “I submit to the Lord of the Worlds.”

3:67  مَا كَانَ إِبْرَاهِيمُ يَهُودِيًّا وَلَا نَصْرَانِيًّا وَلَٰكِن كَانَ حَنِيفًا مُّسْلِمًا وَمَا كَانَ مِنَ الْمُشْرِكِينَ

Abraham was not a Jew nor a Christian; but he was true in Faith  Muslim/submitter, and he was not one of the polytheists.

6:161-163  قُلْ إِنَّنِي هَدَانِي رَبِّي إِلَىٰ صِرَاطٍ مُّسْتَقِيمٍ دِينًا قِيَمًا مِّلَّةَ إِبْرَاهِيمَ حَنِيفًا ۚ وَمَا كَانَ مِنَ الْمُشْرِكِينَ  قُلْ إِنَّ صَلَاتِي وَنُسُكِي وَمَحْيَايَ وَمَمَاتِي لِلَّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ  لَا شَرِيكَ لَهُ ۖ وَبِذَٰلِكَ أُمِرْتُ وَأَنَا أَوَّلُ الْمُسْلِمِينَ

Say : Surely my Lord has guided me to a Straight way a Judgment established. The Millat (Religion) of true Ibraheem (Abraham) and he was not from the polytheists/associators. Say : Surely my salat and my solitude and my life and my death are for Allah, the Lord of the Worlds. That there is no partner for him,  I am ordered with it and I am the first of Muslim/Submitter.

When the Prophet was guided to the straight path, the Judgment established of the religion of Ibraheem, he did not wait long to submit to this judgment.

39:11-12  قُلْ إِنِّي أُمِرْتُ أَنْ أَعْبُدَ اللَّهَ مُخْلِصًا لَّهُ الدِّينَ  وَأُمِرْتُ لِأَنْ أَكُونَ أَوَّلَ الْمُسْلِمِينَ

Say. “Verily, I am commanded to serve Allah with judgment exclusive/pure for Him”. “And I am commanded to be the first to submit to Allah”

Messenger and the his followers don’t take long to submit, when they get the Spirit of Allah’s Words, which comes after making their judgment pure for Allah.

10:90 وَجَاوَزْنَا بِبَنِي إِسْرَائِيلَ الْبَحْرَ فَأَتْبَعَهُمْ فِرْعَوْنُ وَجُنُودُهُ بَغْيًا وَعَدْوًا ۖ حَتَّىٰ إِذَا أَدْرَكَهُ الْغَرَقُ قَالَ آمَنتُ أَنَّهُ لَا إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا الَّذِي آمَنَتْ بِهِ بَنُو إِسْرَائِيلَ وَأَنَا مِنَ الْمُسْلِمِينَ

We took the Bani Israeel/Children of Israeel across the sea: Pharaoh and his group followed them in insolence and spite. At length, when overwhelmed with the flood, he said: “I believe that there is no god except Him Whom the Children of Israel believe in: and I am of those who are Muslims/Submitters.

When the Pharaoh said he wanted to be a Muslim/Submitter it was too late, i.e it was time to close his account after spending  all his life in opposition to Allah’s Will, and only submitting when he was certain of his doom.

10:72  فَإِن تَوَلَّيْتُمْ فَمَا سَأَلْتُكُم مِّنْ أَجْرٍ ۖ إِنْ أَجْرِيَ إِلَّا عَلَى اللَّهِ ۖ وَأُمِرْتُ أَنْ أَكُونَ مِنَ الْمُسْلِمِينَ

(Prophet Nooh said) “But if ye turn back. no reward have I asked of you. my reward is only due from Allah, and I have been commanded to be of Muslims/submitters.”

3:83  أَفَغَيْرَ دِينِ اللَّهِ يَبْغُونَ وَلَهُ أَسْلَمَ مَن فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ طَوْعًا وَكَرْهًا وَإِلَيْهِ يُرْجَعُونَ

Do they seek Deen/judgment other than of Allah’s. And whosoever is in the skies and earth have willingly or unwillingly submitted to Him and to Him shall they return.

2:132  وَوَصَّىٰ بِهَا إِبْرَاهِيمُ بَنِيهِ وَيَعْقُوبُ يَا بَنِيَّ إِنَّ اللَّهَ اصْطَفَىٰ لَكُمُ الدِّينَ فَلَا تَمُوتُنَّ إِلَّا وَأَنتُم مُّسْلِمُونَ

And this was the legacy that Abraham left to his sons, and so did Jacob; “Oh my sons! Allah has chosen the judgment for you; then die not except you are muslims/submitters (to his judgment).”

27:38  قَالَ يَا أَيُّهَا الْمَلَأُ أَيُّكُمْ يَأْتِينِي بِعَرْشِهَا قَبْلَ أَن يَأْتُونِي مُسْلِمِينَ

He (Solomon) said “Ye chiefs! which of you can bring me her throne before they come to me as muslims/in submission?”

22:78  وَجَاهِدُوا فِي اللَّهِ حَقَّ جِهَادِهِ ۚ هُوَ اجْتَبَاكُمْ وَمَا جَعَلَ عَلَيْكُمْ فِي الدِّينِ مِنْ حَرَجٍ ۚ مِّلَّةَ أَبِيكُمْ إِبْرَاهِيمَ ۚ هُوَ سَمَّاكُمُ الْمُسْلِمِينَ مِن قَبْلُ وَفِي هَٰذَا لِيَكُونَ الرَّسُولُ شَهِيدًا عَلَيْكُمْ وَتَكُونُوا شُهَدَاءَ عَلَى النَّاسِ ۚ فَأَقِيمُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَآتُوا الزَّكَاةَ وَاعْتَصِمُوا بِاللَّهِ هُوَ مَوْلَاكُمْ ۖ فَنِعْمَ الْمَوْلَىٰ وَنِعْمَ النَّصِيرُ

And you strive in Allah as the right of striving in Him. He has chosen you and He has made no difficulty over you in the Din/Judgment. The religion of your Father Ibraheem. And He has named you muslim/submitters from before and in this, so the messenger be a witness over you and you be a witness over mankind. Then establish Prayer and give zakah and hold fast with Allah.
He is your Protector (Maula) so He is the blessed Protector and the blessed Helper

3:84  قُلْ آمَنَّا بِاللَّهِ وَمَا أُنزِلَ عَلَيْنَا وَمَا أُنزِلَ عَلَىٰ إِبْرَاهِيمَ وَإِسْمَاعِيلَ وَإِسْحَاقَ وَيَعْقُوبَ وَالْأَسْبَاطِ وَمَا أُوتِيَ مُوسَىٰ وَعِيسَىٰ وَالنَّبِيُّونَ مِن رَّبِّهِمْ لَا نُفَرِّقُ بَيْنَ أَحَدٍ مِّنْهُمْ وَنَحْنُ لَهُ مُسْلِمُونَ

Say we believe in Allah and what is revealed on us and what was revealed on Ibraheem and Ismail and Ishaq and Yaqoob and tribes and what was given to Moosa, Essa and the prophets, is from their Lord. We do not make distinction between anyone from it and for Him we are muslims / submitters.

The statement of Muslims is that they don’t differentiate between any of the Messengers of God.

68:35-38  أَفَنَجْعَلُ الْمُسْلِمِينَ كَالْمُجْرِمِينَ  مَا لَكُمْ كَيْفَ تَحْكُمُونَ  أَمْ لَكُمْ كِتَابٌ فِيهِ تَدْرُسُونَ  إِنَّ لَكُمْ فِيهِ لَمَا تَخَيَّرُون

Would We make the Muslims/Submitters like the criminals? What is the matter with you? How do you judge? Or for you is a book through which you have taken lesson? In it (the other book), do you find anything you want?

Allah is asking will We make the muslims/submitters to the Will of Allah like criminals? Those who order people to do illegal acts and violence in the name of religion and become criminals certainly are not ordering with the Spirit of the Book of God.

28:53  وَإِذَا يُتْلَىٰ عَلَيْهِمْ قَالُوا آمَنَّا بِهِ إِنَّهُ الْحَقُّ مِن رَّبِّنَا إِنَّا كُنَّا مِن قَبْلِهِ مُسْلِمِينَ

And when it is recited to them, they say. “We believe therein, for it is the Truth from our Lord. indeed we have been Muslims/submitters to Allah’s Will from before this.

3:64  قُلْ يَا أَهْلَ الْكِتَابِ تَعَالَوْا إِلَىٰ كَلِمَةٍ سَوَاءٍ بَيْنَنَا وَبَيْنَكُمْ أَلَّا نَعْبُدَ إِلَّا اللَّهَ وَلَا نُشْرِكَ بِهِ شَيْئًا وَلَا يَتَّخِذَ بَعْضُنَا بَعْضًا أَرْبَابًا مِّن دُونِ اللَّهِ ۚ فَإِن تَوَلَّوْا فَقُولُوا اشْهَدُوا بِأَنَّا مُسْلِمُونَ

Say O people of the Book come to a kalima/word that is equal between us and you that we serve none except Allah, that we associate nothing with him and that we do not take from among ourselves Lords other than Allah. If then they turn back say you bear witness that we are muslims / submitters

The people of the Book are advised to come to one Kalima which is common among all sects. Please note there is only one Kalima which is common to all present sects of Muslims i.e The Quran. You cannot attain any sect if you follow this Kalima. It is by following books other than Quran, the people get their sectarian teachings. When you come to the common Kalima and leave the sectarian teachings behind, then you can hope to become Muslims/submitters to Allah. (Please see previous post on Ahlal-Kitab  https://topicsfromquran.com/2017/03/26/who-are-ahlal-kitab/ )

3:103  وَاعْتَصِمُوا بِحَبْلِ اللَّهِ جَمِيعًا وَلَا تَفَرَّقُوا ۚ وَاذْكُرُوا نِعْمَتَ اللَّهِ عَلَيْكُمْ إِذْ كُنتُمْ أَعْدَاءً فَأَلَّفَ بَيْنَ قُلُوبِكُمْ فَأَصْبَحْتُم بِنِعْمَتِهِ إِخْوَانًا وَكُنتُمْ عَلَىٰ شَفَا حُفْرَةٍ مِّنَ النَّارِ فَأَنقَذَكُم مِّنْهَا ۗ كَذَٰلِكَ يُبَيِّنُ اللَّهُ لَكُمْ آيَاتِهِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَهْتَدُونَ

And hold fast all together to the rope of Allah and do not be divided among yourselves, and remember the favor of Allah on you when you were enemies and He joined your hearts in love; you became brethren and you were on the brink of the pit of fire and He saved you from it. Likewise Allah make His Ayas/Signs clear to you that you may be guided.

By becoming Muslims/submitters to Alalh and leaving behind their sects and sectarian hatred, people become brothers and are saved from the brink of the pit of fire.

49:17  يَمُنُّونَ عَلَيْكَ أَنْ أَسْلَمُوا ۖ قُل لَّا تَمُنُّوا عَلَيَّ إِسْلَامَكُم ۖ بَلِ اللَّهُ يَمُنُّ عَلَيْكُمْ أَنْ هَدَاكُمْ لِلْإِيمَانِ إِن كُنتُمْ صَادِقِينَ

They take as a favor on you that they have submitted. Say do not take your Islam/Peace as a favor on me. But, Allah has put a favor on you that He has guided you to the belief, if you are truthful.

Nobody does any favor by their submission to the Allah’s system. It is Allah who has done a favor on those whom He has guided.

2:128  رَبَّنَا وَاجْعَلْنَا مُسْلِمَيْنِ لَكَ وَمِن ذُرِّيَّتِنَا أُمَّةً مُّسْلِمَةً لَّكَ وَأَرِنَا مَنَاسِكَنَا وَتُبْ عَلَيْنَا ۖ إِنَّكَ أَنتَ التَّوَّابُ الرَّحِيمُ

Our Lord! Make both of us Muslims/submitters for You and from our off spring Muslims/submitters nation for You. And show both of us our places of solitude and turn to us surely, You are Most Oft Returning Most Merciful.

The supplication of Prophets Ibrahim and Ismaeel is to make them and their offsprings, muslims/submitters to Allah.

3:52  فَلَمَّا أَحَسَّ عِيسَىٰ مِنْهُمُ الْكُفْرَ قَالَ مَنْ أَنصَارِي إِلَى اللَّهِ ۖ قَالَ الْحَوَارِيُّونَ نَحْنُ أَنصَارُ اللَّهِ آمَنَّا بِاللَّهِ وَاشْهَدْ بِأَنَّا مُسْلِمُونَ

When Prophet Essa A.S (Jesus) realized unbelief on their part he said “who will be my helpers to Allah”. Said the companions (disciples). “we are Allahs helpers. We believe In Allah, and you bear witness that we are Muslims(submitters)“.

https://topicsfromquran.com/2018/10/13/islam-and-muslim-in-quran/
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 06:09:38 am »

Walaikum Salam brother.

Alhumdulilah and thank you.   Your write-up contains useful information.  But we disagree with one specific point here.   The terms 'Islam' and 'Salam' are independent, not inter-weaved.  That's Muslim Villa's opinion because the Noble Quran does not elucidate any such notion that the term 'Salam' springs from "Islam" is also evident from the Verses you quoted.  Islam is submission to Allah's will.  Peace, love and kindness no doubt constitute an important part of the ideology of submission.  But we cannot literally say Islam means peace, these are two different words.

'Salam' is the greeting of peace incumbent upon the follower of 'Islam'
Kindly focus on the original Quran and not on the the words in brackets which translators often insert to represent their varying interpretations.  We have already addressed this subject at Don't get confused between the words 'Islam' and 'Salam' because it's been a common  oversight for a while.

A secondary root of Islam maybe "al-salam" or peace.  But the text of the Noble Quran  makes the assertion of Allah Almighty abundantly clear that the focus of His Message is submission to Him alone as the  believer's way of life and in Arabic that is 'Islam'   involving submission to Him at all times, in times of peace, war, ease, or hardship.   

As also indicated in many Quranic Verses including the ones you quoted, peace is an essential quality of a submitter.  But "Islam" and "Salam" are independent terms with separate connotations and 'Islam' for sure takes precedence.   There are many folks who are not Monotheists or they maybe atheists or agnostics yet they too may practice peace or offer peace.  But that does not make them Muslims ... that does not make them followers of Islam .... because they are not submitters to Allah alone. 

The idea of linking 'Islam' and 'salam'  arises because of two reasons.  One reason has already been stated in Sister Zeynab's post (link posted above) when our Muslim clerics try to gratify participants of interfaith dialogues which have become a trend in the West since the past decade or so.  Secondly, the terms "Islam" and "Salam" have a similar rhythm bringing along an inaccurate notion that both are intertwined having the same root. 

Islam is not about pacifism which I already clarified previously in my response to your post Do' and Donts in the Quran.    Linking Islam with pacifism is not MV's concept lest our readers misunderstand us.   I would reiterate, 'Salam' is the greeting of peace incumbent upon the follower of 'Islam' (submitter).

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 06:31:51 am »

Actually the inclination to link 'salam' with 'Islam' got started by Muslim clerics living in the West soon after 9/11 when western rightists and hardliners were constantly putting Islam on trial by trying to subjugate Muslim spiritualists by persistently coercing them to announce that "Islam is a religion of peace."   That was a tactical approach from those rightists.  They did not harbor honest intentions.  Their idea was to reshape Islam by limiting it and putting it in a comprehensive mold as an exclusively dovish ideology and nothing beyond that.   The truth is, indeed Islam is a religion of peace, and much more.  Islam is a religion of life, in that, we cannot separate Islam from our lives.  Islam deals with every facet of our lives in which peace is a priority but it isn't automatically predominant.  That depends on the situation. 

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 06:43:45 am »

Spot on brother TS.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 02:40:37 am »

س ل م  is an Arabic root made up of a set of three consonants from which originates several different words within the Arabic vocabulary. Islam and salam are two such words having a common root but different definitions.    Words derived from the s-l-m root are found in quite a few Quranic Verses.   The word 'Muslim' ( مُسلِم‎) is a derivation of Islam, both having the س ل م root.   While اسلام means submission to Allah alone,  مسلم means a submitter or a person who submits to Allah.   Other variations:  The word aslam (اسلم ) which means safe, free or healthy, also has the same root slm, but a different meaning.   Then again the word salama ( سلامة)  has the same root too that refers to flawlessness, peace or safety can be viewed as somewhat connected with salam. The word salam specifically means well-being/peace so Allah Almighty commands submitters to use it as a greeting.  Thus, Islam or Submission is an indispensable prerequisite of the Monotheistic Faith (Tawheed) and salam or peace is one of the many virtues of a submitter.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 02:44:45 am »

You got the point Sister.  That's exactly it.
Report Spam   Logged

guest1162

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 08:26:26 pm »

Thanks a lot for the value able replies on this topic. Good to know that we share a view point that obtaining Peace is one of the many virtues of a submitter to Allah.  This is also evident from the below Ayat which mentions the word 'Silm' which means peace and security.

2:208  يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا ادْخُلُوا فِي السِّلْمِ كَافَّةً وَلَا تَتَّبِعُوا خُطُوَاتِ الشَّيْطَانِ ۚ إِنَّهُ لَكُمْ عَدُوٌّ مُّبِينٌ

O’ People who believe, Enter into peace and security completely; and follow not the footsteps of Satan for he is an open enemy to you.

Allah's Will for the believers is to immerse themselves fully in Peace and security and submitting to Allah's Will, will therefore lead believers to Peace invariably.
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 03:40:53 am »

Salaam and you're welcome brother.  However I do need to put a couple of comments here.

First off, I don't know which translation you're using, it's not an accurate one at all.  So please be careful.  These are the Words of Allah The Almighty, not any human being.   Let me quote V.2:208 in Arabic and then it's literal translation.

(2:208)  يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا ادْخُلُوا فِي السِّلْمِ كَافَّةً وَلَا تَتَّبِعُوا خُطُوَاتِ الشَّيْطَانِ ۚ إِنَّهُ لَكُمْ عَدُوٌّ مُبِينٌ

Transliteration:

"yaayyuha  allazhina  amanu  ud-khulu  fi  l-silmi  kaffatan  wala  tattabiu  khuṭuwati  l-shayṭani  innahu  lakum  aduwwun  mubinun. (2:208)

Literal translation into English, word by word:

"O you who believe!  Enter in Islam completely, and (do) not follow footsteps (of) the Shaitaan.  Indeed, he (is) for you an enemy open."   (2:208)

English translation by International sahih:

"O you who have believed, enter into submission (Islam) completely (and perfectly) and do not follow the footsteps of Satan. Indeed, he is to you a clear enemy."  (2:208) 

The expression to enter completely refers to embrace the ideology of submission to Allah alone in its entirety, that is,  complete submission, not partial submission nor half-hearted submission for in that case a person would be following the footsteps of the Satan who is an open enemy of humankind.  This Verse does not speak on the topic of peace. The translation you posted is for sure discrepant when compared with the original because of the fixation of some folks on misinterpreting and mistranslating "Islam" as 'peace' whereas Islam is actually submission.   You can check various other recognized translations too.  Below is another English translation of V.2:208 by Abdel Haleem whose works are widely read by many Quran-alone followers:

"You who believe, enter wholeheartedly into submission to God and do not follow in Satan’s footsteps, for he is your sworn enemy."  2:208.

To conclude, I would simply reiterate that peace in the ideology of submission to Allah is no doubt a priority  but it doesn't come unconditionally (as also elucidated in many other Verses of the Noble Quran) for that may involve the possibility of overriding justice.  Thus, it depends on the situation.   I will say no more on this issue as my colleagues have already explained the matter at length in this thread and in an earlier one.  Kindly do not put Islam at par with absolute pacifism at MV.  That's not our perception because the Noble Quran does not give us any reasons for such presumption/generalization, and we do not want our readers to misunderstand us.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 04:06:51 am »

In V.2:208  Allah Almighty is calling everyone into the fold of Islam to submit to Him fully and completely without any hesitation or doubts, without being influenced by one's culture or personal thoughts that may clash with the principles of submission.  We must surrender (submit) to Allah in every aspect of our life.   In other words, we must not be selective in submission by obeying only those Commandments that suit our purpose and ignoring what we personally don't find convenient.  Submission must be entirely and completely;  that can be described as perfect submission.

Alhumdulilah.  All praise be to Allah alone.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 04:49:36 am »

A lot of Muslims get carried away by the Christian myth (or let's just call it the Christian hadith) on "turning the other cheek."  The phony 'hadith' claims that if someone slaps you on one cheek, don't speak, don't cry foul, just stay silent and turn the other cheek for a second slap.   The goal of this weird myth is to surreptitiously promote bullying and oppression of the weak by the strong and it's falsely attributed to Essa son of Virgin Maryam just as all the versions of altered gospels are filled with false quotes.  Needless to say, Essa son of Virgin Maryam (peace on them both) was a Prophet sent by Allah Almighty and he was a very wise and intelligent person.  Would anyone with a shred of common sense believe for a minute that he could say something as unjust and senseless as that?  No surprise, as we can see in today's world, those who peddle the rhetoric of turning the other cheek are the ones who never practice it themselves.  Another source of this impractical ideology of pacifism comes from the pre-planned collaboration of Western politics and Buddhist hypocrisy, both of which have been close allies for promoting falsehood & mischief for political gain.  Buddhism which is the most violent religion in the world and has recently committed unspeakable genocide against minority Rohingya Muslims in Burma is touted by western & buddhist hypocrites as "religion of peace."  What a sick joke !!

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 04:51:15 am »

Yes right.  Furthermore that's an apt example about the genocide against the poor Rohingyas.   Just imagine, approximately 2 million killed by buddhist military, monks and mobs, over 1 million have become refugees and at least half million suffering in concentration camps within Burma.  Their entire province with all its villages and towns has been ethnically cleansed.  The reason?  Only because they are Muslims.  Yet, to keep up the myth of peace, the ignorant ones around the world still put the label of 'peace' on buddhism and do not want the victimized Rohingyas to ask for justice.

Report Spam   Logged

guest1162

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 11:50:27 pm »

Thanks a lot for your comments for this important topic. I totally agree on the point that Quran is the Word of God therefore we have to be very careful paying close attention to words used in Quran. The topic of obtaining peace in the World is very relevant, therefore it is imperative that we devote some time to analyze of the verses especially those which are interpreted by War-mongers such as ISIS, in justifying their violent activities.

First, briefly something about the root word system in the Arabic language. Most of the words in Arabic are formed from trilateral root words. The words formed from the same root have some commonality and connections among them. Two words from the same root however, will not convey exactly the same meaning; there would be some slight difference, otherwise, formation of two words conveying exactly the same meaning from the same root word would be redundance.

And thanks for presenting few translations of the Ayat 2:208. If we analyze these translations we see that they, have equated the word As-Silm (السِّلْمِ ) with Al-Islam. We know that as both these words are from the same root word therefore, they will not have the exact same meaning.  So when we check the meaning of As-Silm in dictionaries, we find that it conveys the meaning of 'Peace and security'.

Edward William Lane - Arabic Lexicon, the world's leading lexicon on classical Arabic defines the arabic word "silm" as follows http://www.tyndalearchive.com/tabs/lane/ Lexical Meaning of the Arabic word Silm. A copy of the excerpt from the dictionaries are provided at the end of the article on below link to a post. (https://topicsfromquran.com/2018/10/13/islam-and-muslim-in-quran/)

In Arabic we would say "al-islamu assilmu or al-islamussilmu which means Islam is Silm which means Islam is obtaining Peace. People who are pro-Islam often say it means "peace". Many who are anti-Islam especially for political reasons - they mostly opt for using the word "submission", in a negative sense.

The word Qital is used as 'fight' in Al-Kitab, the fight can be physical or psychological. The word 'Jihad' means 'to struggle'. An interesting thing to note is that word 'Sword' is not mentioned even once in Al-Kitab.

Let us see some of the Ayas where fighting is mentioned to see if they really mean physical fighting or it means ideological fight:

2:8-12   وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يَقُولُ آمَنَّا بِاللَّهِ وَبِالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ وَمَا هُم بِمُؤْمِنِينَ  يُخَادِعُونَ اللَّهَ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَمَا يَخْدَعُونَ إِلَّا أَنفُسَهُمْ وَمَا يَشْعُرُونَ  فِي قُلُوبِهِم مَّرَضٌ فَزَادَهُمُ اللَّهُ مَرَضًا ۖ وَلَهُمْ عَذَابٌ أَلِيمٌ بِمَا كَانُوا يَكْذِبُونَ  وَإِذَا قِيلَ لَهُمْ لَا تُفْسِدُوا فِي الْأَرْضِ قَالُوا إِنَّمَا نَحْنُ مُصْلِحُونَ  أَلَا إِنَّهُمْ هُمُ الْمُفْسِدُونَ وَلَٰكِن لَّا يَشْعُرُونَ

Of the people there are some who say. "We believe in Allah and the Last Day;" but they are not (really) with the believers. They  deceive Allah and those who believe, but they only deceive themselves, and realize (it) not! In their hearts is a disease; and Allah has increased their disease. And grievous is the penalty they (incur), because they are false (to themselves). When it is said to them. "Do not make mischief/violence on the earth," they say. "Why, we are the reformers!" Of a surety, they are the ones who make mischief/violence, but they realize (it) not.

In the above Ayas, Allah exposes those who are actually the violence mongers on Earth. These are those who say that we believe in Allah and the Hereafter, however, they do not themselves know that they are deceiving themselves. The love of violence in their hearts is termed as a disease and Ayas of Allah, increase their disease. When they are told, not to do violence on Earth, they say that we are doing it for a noble cause.

4:60  أَلَمْ تَرَ إِلَى الَّذِينَ يَزْعُمُونَ أَنَّهُمْ آمَنُوا بِمَا أُنزِلَ إِلَيْكَ وَمَا أُنزِلَ مِن قَبْلِكَ يُرِيدُونَ أَن يَتَحَاكَمُوا إِلَى الطَّاغُوتِ وَقَدْ أُمِرُوا أَن يَكْفُرُوا بِهِ وَيُرِيدُ الشَّيْطَانُ أَن يُضِلَّهُمْ ضَلَالًا بَعِيدًا

Have you not seen those who assume with pride that they believe in what has been sent down on you and to that before you? Their intention is to resort for judgment to the Taghut (Rebellious/Violent one), though they were ordered to reject him. But Satan's intention is to lead them astray far away (from the right).

The above Ayat states that there are people who assume that they are a believer of what has been revealed on the Messenger, however, they still want their judge to be the Taghoot/violent one, and indeed they are ordered in this Revelation to reject the Taghut/violent one. The word Taghut is from 'Tughian' and in it roots, implies crossing limits, rebellion and violent unjust harshness. So, these people think that they believe in the Messenger and what has been revealed on the Messenger, but actually they end up following the judgment of the violent, rebellious, Taghut.

22:40  الَّذِينَ أُخْرِجُوا مِن دِيَارِهِم بِغَيْرِ حَقٍّ إِلَّا أَن يَقُولُوا رَبُّنَا اللَّهُ ۗ وَلَوْلَا دَفْعُ اللَّهِ النَّاسَ بَعْضَهُم بِبَعْضٍ لَّهُدِّمَتْ صَوَامِعُ وَبِيَعٌ وَصَلَوَاتٌ وَمَسَاجِدُ يُذْكَرُ فِيهَا اسْمُ اللَّهِ كَثِيرًا ۗ وَلَيَنصُرَنَّ اللَّهُ مَن يَنصُرُهُ ۗ إِنَّ اللَّهَ لَقَوِيٌّ عَزِيزٌ

Those who have been expelled from their circles unjustly,- because of their statement that, "Our Lord is Allah". If it were not that Allah defended one set of people with another, there would surely have been destroyed silos, businesses, prayers, and mosques, in which Allah's name is remembered in abundance. Allah will certainly aid those who aids in His (cause);- for verily Allah is full of Strength, Exalted in Might, (able to enforce His Will).

Those people who make Allah their Lord (they do not take instructions and orders other than from Allah), they are hated by people bent on violence and war-mongering activities, and they are ousted out of their circles of faith by the disbelievers. The disbelievers label them as an ousted caste. Had Allah not defended the people of the world from these war mongers, violent people, there would have been great destruction in the world. The violent war mongers terrorists would not even leave people going to prayers and mosques, they try to bomb them also.

8:60  وَأَعِدُّوا لَهُم مَّا اسْتَطَعْتُم مِّن قُوَّةٍ وَمِن رِّبَاطِ الْخَيْلِ تُرْهِبُونَ بِهِ عَدُوَّ اللَّهِ وَعَدُوَّكُمْ وَآخَرِينَ مِن دُونِهِمْ لَا تَعْلَمُونَهُمُ اللَّهُ يَعْلَمُهُمْ ۚ وَمَا تُنفِقُوا مِن شَيْءٍ فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ يُوَفَّ إِلَيْكُمْ وَأَنتُمْ لَا تُظْلَمُونَ

And for them you prepare to what you have the capability from strength and the bindings of the horses, (i.e. to check your impulsiveness and to remain calm) so that you terrorize with it to the enemies of Allah and your enemies and others besides them. You do not know them Allah knows them, and whatsoever you spend from anything in the way of Allah, you will be repaid in full and you will not be oppressed.

Enemies of the believers  are the terrorists, the violent war-mongers. So, Allah's order is to terrorize your enemies with great preparations (deep pondering in Quran, remember Jihad e Akbar is with Quran 25:52). Terrorize them with all your restraint akin to controlling a violent horse with reins i.e to display dignity, calm and steadfastness. Terrorist, whose wrong interpretation of Allah's Book increase them in violent activities (5:64), will be terrorized of you, if all their violent interpretations of Quran are responded with true Quranic spirit of peace.

9:122-125  وَمَا كَانَ الْمُؤْمِنُونَ لِيَنفِرُوا كَافَّةً ۚ فَلَوْلَا نَفَرَ مِن كُلِّ فِرْقَةٍ مِّنْهُمْ طَائِفَةٌ لِّيَتَفَقَّهُوا فِي الدِّينِ وَلِيُنذِرُوا قَوْمَهُمْ إِذَا رَجَعُوا إِلَيْهِمْ لَعَلَّهُمْ يَحْذَرُونَ

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا قَاتِلُوا الَّذِينَ يَلُونَكُم مِّنَ الْكُفَّارِ وَلْيَجِدُوا فِيكُمْ غِلْظَةً ۚ وَاعْلَمُوا أَنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الْمُتَّقِينَ  وَإِذَا مَا أُنزِلَتْ سُورَةٌ فَمِنْهُم مَّن يَقُولُ أَيُّكُمْ زَادَتْهُ هَٰذِهِ إِيمَانًا ۚ فَأَمَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا فَزَادَتْهُمْ إِيمَانًا وَهُمْ يَسْتَبْشِرُونَ  وَأَمَّا الَّذِينَ فِي قُلُوبِهِم مَّرَضٌ فَزَادَتْهُمْ رِجْسًا إِلَىٰ رِجْسِهِمْ وَمَاتُوا وَهُمْ كَافِرُونَ

It may not be (possible) that all believers go forth together (in faith). if a contingent from every group  devote themselves to studies in Din/Judgment, and admonish the people when they return to them,- thus they (may learn) to guard themselves (against evil).  O ye who believe! fight the unbelievers who gird you about, and let them find firmness in you. and know that Allah is with those who fear Him. Whenever there comes down a Sura, some of them say. "Which of you has had his faith increased by it?" , those who believe,- their faith is increased and they do rejoice. But those in whose hearts is a disease,- it will add un-cleanliness to their un-cleanliness, and they will die in a state of rejection.

The above Ayas towards the end of Sura Tuaba (9), indicate that striking out in the way of Allah, is about devoting to studies in matters of Din/Judgment. Those people who have disease in their hearts were exposed earlier in Quran in Aya's 2:8-12, that when they are asked not to make fasad/mischief on Earth they say we are only doing corrections, and they themselves don't know that they are the problematic ones. So these people interpret the above Ayas as Allah asking them to wage war on earth and the disease and uncleanliness in their hearts keep on increasing. As Allah's intention of Peace are revealed and clarified to believers in Quran, their faith increases, but the people bent on violence, their disbelief increases in the opposite direction.

4;84  فَقَاتِلْ فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ لَا تُكَلَّفُ إِلَّا نَفْسَكَ ۚ وَحَرِّضِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ ۖ عَسَى اللَّهُ أَن يَكُفَّ بَأْسَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا ۚ وَاللَّهُ أَشَدُّ بَأْسًا وَأَشَدُّ تَنكِيلًا

Then fight in Allah's cause - There is no hardship in it for you except for your souls (nafs) - and rouse the believers. It may be that Allah will restrain the strength of the Unbelievers; for Allah is the severest in strength and severest in punishment.

Fighting in the way of Allah is not physical fight, it is ideological fight. There is no hard ship in it except on your Nafs/phyche. The believers will prevail in this psychological fight as they are advised to be patient and the non believers are those who don't have knowledge (of Spirit of Al-Quran)

8:65-66  يَا أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ حَرِّضِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ عَلَى الْقِتَالِ ۚ إِن يَكُن مِّنكُمْ عِشْرُونَ صَابِرُونَ يَغْلِبُوا مِائَتَيْنِ ۚ وَإِن يَكُن مِّنكُم مِّائَةٌ يَغْلِبُوا أَلْفًا مِّنَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا بِأَنَّهُمْ قَوْمٌ لَّا يَفْقَهُونَ  الْآنَ خَفَّفَ اللَّهُ عَنكُمْ وَعَلِمَ أَنَّ فِيكُمْ ضَعْفًا ۚ فَإِن يَكُن مِّنكُم مِّائَةٌ صَابِرَةٌ يَغْلِبُوا مِائَتَيْنِ ۚ وَإِن يَكُن مِّنكُمْ أَلْفٌ يَغْلِبُوا أَلْفَيْنِ بِإِذْنِ اللَّهِ ۗ وَاللَّهُ مَعَ الصَّابِرِينَ

O Apostle! rouse the believers to the fight . If there are twenty patient ones amongst you , they will overpower two hundred. if a hundred, they will overpower a thousand of the Unbelievers. For these are a people without understanding. For the present, Allah has lightened your (task), for He knows that there is some weakness in you. But (even so), if there are a hundred of you, patient and persevering, they will overpower two hundred, and if a thousand, they will overpower two thousand, with the leave of Allah. for Allah is with the patient ones

Consider an example conversation; 'you are able to jog about 10KM, however, as you are starting now, your stamina is not up-to the mark at this time, therefore in the start you will be able to cover up-to 2 KM and if you keep on practicing you can achieve your capacity of 10KM.'  As the believer's faith increases and the Sprit of Al-Quran increase their understanding of the message of Quran, they will be able to take more and more of the unbeliever's interpretation of Quran in their ideological fight against them.

لَتُبْلَوُنَّ فِي أَمْوَالِكُمْ وَأَنفُسِكُمْ وَلَتَسْمَعُنَّ مِنَ الَّذِينَ أُوتُوا الْكِتَابَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ وَمِنَ الَّذِينَ أَشْرَكُوا أَذًى كَثِيرًا ۚ وَإِن تَصْبِرُوا وَتَتَّقُوا فَإِنَّ ذَٰلِكَ مِنْ عَزْمِ الْأُمُورِ

Certainly you shall be tested in your wealth and in your selves (psyche); and you shall certainly hear  from those who were given the Book before you and from those who joined partners (with Allah) a lot of annoying things. And if you persevere patiently, and take guard against evil,-then surely that is of the strengthened resolve.

The people who join others (instructions of others) with Allah and his instructions, they will be always be taunting believers for their judgment. The believers are told to be patient and take guard.

5:33-34   إِنَّمَا جَزَاءُ الَّذِينَ يُحَارِبُونَ اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ وَيَسْعَوْنَ فِي الْأَرْضِ فَسَادًا أَن يُقَتَّلُوا أَوْ يُصَلَّبُوا أَوْ تُقَطَّعَ أَيْدِيهِمْ وَأَرْجُلُهُم مِّنْ خِلَافٍ أَوْ يُنفَوْا مِنَ الْأَرْضِ ۚ ذَٰلِكَ لَهُمْ خِزْيٌ فِي الدُّنْيَا ۖ وَلَهُمْ فِي الْآخِرَةِ عَذَابٌ عَظِيمٌ  إِلَّا الَّذِينَ تَابُوا مِن قَبْلِ أَن تَقْدِرُوا عَلَيْهِمْ ۖ فَاعْلَمُوا أَنَّ اللَّهَ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ

Surely the reward of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and they move around in the earth to cause corruption/violence, is that they will be killed, or they will be crucified, or their hands and feet will be cut off from the opposite sides or they will be exiled from the land. For them, is disgrace in this world and in the hereafter is a great punishment.  Except those who repent before you gaining control over them, then you should know that surely Allah is all forgiving, all merciful.

Those people who have a declaration of war with Allah and the Messenger and who are doing physical fighting, warmongering and corruption in the world, will automatically meet one of the described fates mentioned in the above Ayat as a result of their violent activities. Except for those on which the believers were able to control by showing their wrong ways and then they doing repentance.  This is not a punishment that believers are asked by Allah to inflict on them. Also, please note there is only one declaration of war/harab by Allah and the messengers in Quran, and that is only on those believers who don't cease to eat Riba/the increase and the satan has influenced them as such as they look ludicrous in their appearance (see note 1).

47:20  وَيَقُولُ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا لَوْلَا نُزِّلَتْ سُورَةٌ ۖ فَإِذَا أُنزِلَتْ سُورَةٌ مُّحْكَمَةٌ وَذُكِرَ فِيهَا الْقِتَالُ ۙ رَأَيْتَ الَّذِينَ فِي قُلُوبِهِم مَّرَضٌ يَنظُرُونَ إِلَيْكَ نَظَرَ الْمَغْشِيِّ عَلَيْهِ مِنَ الْمَوْتِ ۖ فَأَوْلَىٰ لَهُمْ

Those who believe say, "Why is not a sura sent down (for us)?" thus when a sura of categorical meaning is revealed, and fighting is mentioned therein, thou wilt see those in whose hearts is a disease looking at thee with a look of one fainting from death, which is more fitting for them-

Believers who are peaceful people, pray that Allah reveals the true meaning of (ideological) fighting in Al-Kitab. When real meaning of Qital/Fighting (ideological fight) is clarified from Sooras/chapters of Quran, the people in whose hearts is a disease (see 2:8-12 for the people whose hearts have disease, are the people who like to wage violence/war in earth and they don't realize that they are themselves the violence makers). These people don't like this clarification of Qital verses, which is against their sentiments of war mongering and their faces show death like features, which is in-fact more apt for them as they love violence and to die for it.

Let us review below Ayas in Quran about physical fighting:

5:27-29  وَاتْلُ عَلَيْهِمْ نَبَأَ ابْنَيْ آدَمَ بِالْحَقِّ إِذْ قَرَّبَا قُرْبَانًا فَتُقُبِّلَ مِنْ أَحَدِهِمَا وَلَمْ يُتَقَبَّلْ مِنَ الْآخَرِ قَالَ لَأَقْتُلَنَّكَ ۖ قَالَ إِنَّمَا يَتَقَبَّلُ اللَّهُ مِنَ الْمُتَّقِينَ  لَئِن بَسَطتَ إِلَيَّ يَدَكَ لِتَقْتُلَنِي مَا أَنَا بِبَاسِطٍ يَدِيَ إِلَيْكَ لِأَقْتُلَكَ ۖ إِنِّي أَخَافُ اللَّهَ رَبَّ الْعَالَمِينَ  إِنِّي أُرِيدُ أَن تَبُوءَ بِإِثْمِي وَإِثْمِكَ فَتَكُونَ مِنْ أَصْحَابِ النَّارِ ۚ وَذَٰلِكَ جَزَاءُ الظَّالِمِينَ

And recite over them the news in truth of the two sons of Adam. When they both gave sacrifice to be close (to Allah) then it was accepted from one of them and was not accepted from the other. "He said I will definitely kill you." "He said surely Allah accepts (the sacrifice)from those who guard." "If you will stretch out your hand towards me to kill me, I will not stretch out my hand towards you to kill you. Surely I fear Allah the Lord of the Worlds." "Surely I intend that you reside with my sin (in killing me ) and with your sin. So you will be from the companion of fire. And that is the reward of the oppressors."

What is the lesson we get from the above Ayas? When some one attacks you physically you are not to strike back, why? because Allah is there to recompense fully the evil doers? (See related post of Qasas : https://topicsfromquran.com/2017/06/04/qasas/)A grave evil act like murder will stay in the psyche of the perpetrator and will haunt him and eventually destroy his psychology. A person doing bad acts can not live peacefully like a person  with clean conscience who does not have to fear everyday getting recompensed for his evil actions. If there is a choice, it is always better to leave the scene where some one attacks you to cause bodily harm.

2:84  وَإِذْ أَخَذْنَا مِيثَاقَكُمْ لَا تَسْفِكُونَ دِمَاءَكُمْ وَلَا تُخْرِجُونَ أَنفُسَكُم مِّن دِيَارِكُمْ ثُمَّ أَقْرَرْتُمْ وَأَنتُمْ تَشْهَدُونَ

And when We took a covenant with you, not to shed your blood and do not expel your souls/selves from your circles then you confirmed and you are witness to it.

This is the covenant Allah took with Bani Israeel, that they will not shed their blood. So the fighting/Qital which is ordained in Quran is an ideological fight i.e a fight in which you are not allowed to shed your blood.

From the above two sets of Ayas we come to know that with regards to Qital/fighting, if we fear Allah, we cannot not extend our hand towards the one who extends his hand towards us for causing harm. And Allah had taken a covenant from before that we are not to shed our blood. Also in 2:195 Allah orders (لَا تُلْقُوا بِأَيْدِيكُمْ إِلَى التَّهْلُكَةِ) i.e not to put your self to destruction with your own hands. Keeping in view these conditions, now we can see, how and with whom to do Qital/fighting in the way of Allah.

9:29  قَاتِلُوا الَّذِينَ لَا يُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللَّهِ وَلَا بِالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ وَلَا يُحَرِّمُونَ مَا حَرَّمَ اللَّهُ وَرَسُولُهُ وَلَا يَدِينُونَ دِينَ الْحَقِّ مِنَ الَّذِينَ أُوتُوا الْكِتَابَ حَتَّىٰ يُعْطُوا الْجِزْيَةَ عَن يَدٍ وَهُمْ صَاغِرُونَ

Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which has been made forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor they decide by the judegment of Truth, from the People who has been given the Book, until they pay tribute with their hands while being belittled.

Allah's order to engage in ideological fight, is with those who don't make it forbidden on them, what has been made forbidden by Allah. We will shortly see what is made forbidden by Allah in below Ayas. This ideological fight is to be done with the People of the Book (not labeled Jews and Christians) but with those who have the Book (Al-Quran) however who do not really believe in Allah and accountability and do not act on its injunctions of haram/forbidden acts.

6:151  قُلْ تَعَالَوْا أَتْلُ مَا حَرَّمَ رَبُّكُمْ عَلَيْكُمْ ۖ أَلَّا تُشْرِكُوا بِهِ شَيْئًا ۖ وَبِالْوَالِدَيْنِ إِحْسَانًا ۖ وَلَا تَقْتُلُوا أَوْلَادَكُم مِّنْ إِمْلَاقٍ ۖ نَّحْنُ نَرْزُقُكُمْ وَإِيَّاهُمْ ۖ وَلَا تَقْرَبُوا الْفَوَاحِشَ مَا ظَهَرَ مِنْهَا وَمَا بَطَنَ ۖ وَلَا تَقْتُلُوا النَّفْسَ الَّتِي حَرَّمَ اللَّهُ إِلَّا بِالْحَقِّ ۚ ذَٰلِكُمْ وَصَّاكُم بِهِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَعْقِلُونَ

Say. "Come, I will rehearse what Allah has prohibited on you " Do not join anything in partnership with Him; Do good deeds to your parents; Do not kill your children for fear of poverty;- We provide sustenance for you and for them;- do not come near shameful acts whether openly or secretly; and do not kill a nafs/life, which Allah has made forbidden, except with Haq/truth,  thus He enjoins you, so that you may use your intellect.

7:33  قُلْ إِنَّمَا حَرَّمَ رَبِّيَ الْفَوَاحِشَ مَا ظَهَرَ مِنْهَا وَمَا بَطَنَ وَالْإِثْمَ وَالْبَغْيَ بِغَيْرِ الْحَقِّ وَأَن تُشْرِكُوا بِاللَّهِ مَا لَمْ يُنَزِّلْ بِهِ سُلْطَانًا وَأَن تَقُولُوا عَلَى اللَّهِ مَا لَا تَعْلَمُونَ

Say. my Lord has indeed forbidden shameful acts, whether open or secret; sins and unjust trespassing; and that you associate partners with Allah, for whom He has sent down no authority; and that you say things about Allah that you do not know.

The above Ayat states what is made forbidden by Allah. The ideological fight ordained as per 9:29, is with those people who associate with Allah, do obscenity, say things about Allah which are not verified by Quran, and kill what is made forbidden by Allah. And remember, ideological fight is a non physical fight in which extending your hand and shedding blood is not allowed. If some one, rejects this peaceful message of Allah and do physical fighting then Allah says that no body can be a bigger oppressor than him, as he will then be tarnishing the image of peaceful Islam.

28:83  تِلْكَ الدَّارُ الْآخِرَةُ نَجْعَلُهَا لِلَّذِينَ لَا يُرِيدُونَ عُلُوًّا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَلَا فَسَادًا ۚ وَالْعَاقِبَةُ لِلْمُتَّقِينَ

That Home/circle of the Hereafter We shall give to those who intend no high-handedness nor mischief on earth. and the end is (best) for the righteous.

Those people who fight with the believers in their judgment/Din of Peace as mentioned above and caste them out of the circles of faith and instigate others to caste them out too, believers are prevented to make these people their patrons/guardians. Those people who don't cast the believers out of their circles of faith (does not label them as infidels if their beliefs differ), Allah does not prevent believers to do good to them.

60:8-9  لَّا يَنْهَاكُمُ اللَّهُ عَنِ الَّذِينَ لَمْ يُقَاتِلُوكُمْ فِي الدِّينِ وَلَمْ يُخْرِجُوكُم مِّن دِيَارِكُمْ أَن تَبَرُّوهُمْ وَتُقْسِطُوا إِلَيْهِمْ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يُحِبُّ الْمُقْسِطِينَ  إِنَّمَا يَنْهَاكُمُ اللَّهُ عَنِ الَّذِينَ قَاتَلُوكُمْ فِي الدِّينِ وَأَخْرَجُوكُم مِّن دِيَارِكُمْ وَظَاهَرُوا عَلَىٰ إِخْرَاجِكُمْ أَن تَوَلَّوْهُمْ ۚ وَمَن يَتَوَلَّهُمْ فَأُولَٰئِكَ هُمُ الظَّالِمُونَ

Allah does not prevent you with regards to those who do not fight with you and do not drive you out of your circles, from dealing kindly and justly with them, for Allah loves those who are just. Verily, Allah prevents you, with regard to those who fight with you in Din/judgment, and drive you out of your circles, and support (others) in driving you out, from turning to them for patronage. If any turns to them for patronage, then those are the unjust ones.

The below two Ayas are interesting they mention Harab/War.

47:4  فَإِذَا لَقِيتُمُ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا فَضَرْبَ الرِّقَابِ حَتَّىٰ إِذَا أَثْخَنتُمُوهُمْ فَشُدُّوا الْوَثَاقَ فَإِمَّا مَنًّا بَعْدُ وَإِمَّا فِدَاءً حَتَّىٰ تَضَعَ الْحَرْبُ أَوْزَارَهَا ۚ ذَٰلِكَ وَلَوْ يَشَاءُ اللَّهُ لَانتَصَرَ مِنْهُمْ وَلَٰكِن لِّيَبْلُوَ بَعْضَكُم بِبَعْضٍ ۗ وَالَّذِينَ قُتِلُوا فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ فَلَن يُضِلَّ أَعْمَالَهُمْ

When you meet the people who reject/cover, strike at the necks; until when you have thoroughly subdued them, bind a bond firmly (on them). thereafter either generosity or ransom. Until the war lays down its burdens. Thus (are you commanded). but if it had been Allah's Will, He could certainly have exacted retribution from them (Himself); but (He wants to) test you, some with others. But those who are slain in the Way of Allah,- He will never let their deeds be lost.

47:5-6   سَيَهْدِيهِمْ وَيُصْلِحُ بَالَهُمْ  وَيُدْخِلُهُمُ الْجَنَّةَ عَرَّفَهَا لَهُمْ

Soon will He guide them and improve their condition, And admit them to the Gardens which He has made known to them.

For the people who are slain the way of the Lord, Allah informs that He will soon guide them and improve their condition, which would mean that its not physical death or fight that was being mentioned here.

68:36-41  مَا لَكُمْ كَيْفَ تَحْكُمُونَ  أَمْ لَكُمْ كِتَابٌ فِيهِ تَدْرُسُونَ  إِنَّ لَكُمْ فِيهِ لَمَا تَخَيَّرُونَ  أَمْ لَكُمْ أَيْمَانٌ عَلَيْنَا بَالِغَةٌ إِلَىٰ يَوْمِ الْقِيَامَةِ ۙ إِنَّ لَكُمْ لَمَا تَحْكُمُونَ  سَلْهُمْ أَيُّهُم بِذَٰلِكَ زَعِيمٌ   أَمْ لَهُمْ شُرَكَاءُ فَلْيَأْتُوا بِشُرَكَائِهِمْ إِن كَانُوا صَادِقِينَ

What is the matter with you? How do you judge? Or for you is a book through which you have taken lesson? In it (the other book), do you find anything you want? Or, have you received solemn assurances from us that grant you whatever you wish till the Day of Resurrection? Ask you of them, which of them is the guarantor of that! Or have they some "Partners" (in Allah)? Then let them come with their "partners", if they are truthful!

These partners (in Allah) give orders of violence and mischief on earth and cloak these orders under the guise of Shariat and Jihad. The partners are those who make Shariat i.e write shriat/Fiqh books.

42:21  أَمْ لَهُمْ شُرَكَاءُ شَرَعُوا لَهُم مِّنَ الدِّينِ مَا لَمْ يَأْذَن بِهِ اللَّهُ ۚ وَلَوْلَا كَلِمَةُ الْفَصْلِ لَقُضِيَ بَيْنَهُمْ ۗ وَإِنَّ الظَّالِمِينَ لَهُمْ عَذَابٌ أَلِيمٌ

Do they have partners, who have established for them ways in religion (Shariat)  without the permission of Allah? Had it not been for the Decree of Judgment, the matter would have been decided between them (at once). But verily the Wrong-doers will have a grievous Penalty.
Report Spam   Logged
Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 09:58:08 pm »

Brother ajzhyder.   As-Salam Alaikum.  We have made our perspective on this subject ample clear.  There's no point in persistently repeating the same issue over and over again, complicating it unnecessarily and wasting our time, while you continue presenting plainly incorrect Quranic translations and spinning around definitions for adhering to your personal concept. 

We believe in reading and understanding the Quran with a thoroughly unmotivated approach.  Quran is a standalone Book which needs to be understood independently, that is, the focus must be on the self-supporting assertions of Allah Almighty, not on the fixation of our whims.  You seem to be totally obsessed on promoting the Quran as a pacifistic philosophy.   We cannot allow you to promote something that's for sure NOT warranted by the Quran.   Here at MV it's all about the Truth of the Noble Quran and it becomes significantly unacceptable if someone blatantly misconstrues the very definition of Islam replacing submission with peace and in the process downplaying the indispensable prerequisite of Monotheism.   I think it's better if you leave our forum and stick to your own website.

My colleague, Sister Zeynab, has also read your response and she will be responding to you more analytically in a little while as I am short of time and will be out of station for the next few of days.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 01:06:03 am »

Salaam and peace brother.  I will respond to a few of your points in your last post  of this thread that are quite baffling concerning their imprecision and erroneous estimation.   Also, some of your contents are not connected with the topic of submission and peace so I won't discuss them.   I will only highlight your direct over-emphasis on "peace" because of its incorrect connection with the term "Islam".

In Arabic we would say "al-islamu assilmu or al-islamussilmu which means Islam is Silm which means Islam is obtaining Peace.

In all honesty, that's not correct. It's another one of your wishful designs which is NOT supported by the Noble Quran, something we have already clarified umpteen times with solid references from the Quran as well as the Arabic root-word-principle that Islam is submission and salam (the believers' social greeting) is peace.  These are two independent terms that do not interlap regardless of a single root which often has its own set of vocabulary consisting of several words with differing definitions. 

People who are pro-Islam often say it means "peace". Many who are anti-Islam especially for political reasons - they mostly opt for using the word "submission", in a negative sense.

Excuse me, but I view that as a twist which isn't insightful.  You could have been more direct.  If your allusion is that MV peddles what you perceive as "anti-Islam" based on "political reasons," you couldn't be farther from the truth.  Rather, the Noble Quran does not separate religion from practical life which makes the Quran a complete code of conduct.  The examples my colleagues cited on oppression of Muslims were assessed in accordance with Quranic ethics, NOT political indoctrination.  Throughout the annals of history, the helpless have been exploited by the strong & powerful.  That continues until the present, in which the guilty include non-Muslims as well as the so-called Muslims or takfiris (traitors, deviants / hypocrites).  It's the entitlement as well as a moral duty of every sincere believer who cares for humanity to at least raise their voices against such injustices.  "Silence in the face of injustice is complicity with the oppressor."  This was spoken by the late Italian human rights campaigner, Ginetta Sagon.   

Allah Almighty has confirmed that His Final Message is the Sole Criterion (Al-Furqan, refer V.25:1).   Thus, there's no point in reading the Quran by cutting yourself out of the world.   Our worship of Allah and following the ideology He commanded is not just a prayer-time necessity;  it requires adherence throughout our lives.  Allah expects us to follow His rules, to think, reflect and speak accordingly even after we finish our prayer and step out of our prayer mat.

"When you have performed the act of worship, remember Allah, standing, sitting and reclining.  And when you are in safety, observe proper worship. Worship at fixed times has been enjoined on the believers."  (4:103).

"Such as remember Allah, standing, sitting, and reclining, and consider the creation of the heavens and the earth, (and say): Our Rab! You created not this in vain. Glory be to YOU! Preserve us from the doom of Fire." (3:191).

An interesting thing to note is that word 'Sword' is not mentioned even once in Al-Kitab.

No one ever talked of the "sword" in connection with the Quran.    I don't know how or why you concocted such a notion.   Needless to say, submission to Allah does NOT mean picking up a sword.    Islam is NOT the ideology of the sword.   Since we believe that Islam alludes to submission and not peace, so you conclude that it's linked to the "sword."  Despite your astute maneuvers, it looks like your rejection of Islam as submission is driving you into hasty 'black & white' judgments that are astonishing, if not outright ignorant.    We have stated many times that peace is a priority in Islam but it's not an unquestioning or mandatory requirement for all conflicts in all spheres of life because every scenario has a different inside story.  Justice is as important as peace, and application of peace must not override justice.  In regard to Quranic emphasis on justice, take a look at the following Verses which you have conveniently dismissed until now.  Verses:  An-Nisa V.135,   Al-Araf V.29,  Al-Araf V.181,   Al-Maidah V.8,  Al-Maidah V.42, Yunus V.47,  Al-Hadid V.25, and many more.

"Their intention is to resort for judgment to the Taghut (Rebellious/Violent one), though they were ordered to reject him. But Satan's intention is to lead them astray far away (from the right)." 4:60.

"rebellious / violent one" in brackets as stated in your translation is not from the Quran but the translator's chosen standpoint.  Kindly read the entire Verse carefully.  Taghut here refers to false deities or false judges.  It alludes to the source or authority that decides on the basis of non-Divine Laws or a judicial system that does not acknowledge Allah Almighty as the Final Authority and The Most Supreme.   The reference in this Verse is to those who outwardly profess belief (primarily the hypocrites apparently) in the Final Message, yet they seek to resolve matters via non-Divine sources, and thus they reject the Noble Quran as Al-Furqan;  that's their transgression on crossing limits.  It does not refer to physical violence. Some interpretations of 'taghut' may include the concept of tyranny which refers to moral decadence and may entail despotism.  Hence, one can gauge how flawed your explication is.   Such unsupportive and constricted renderings can be profoundly misguiding for learners.

This is what happens when one reads the Quran with a preconditioned mind focused on their own choices rather than the principles of Allah, without concentrating on the preceding or following Verses of every Ayat they attempt to elucidate.  If you had concentrated on Verses 4:59 and then on 4:61, perhaps you would have assessed more carefully. 

Verse 4:59 says:  "O you who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the messenger and those of you who are in authority; and if you have a dispute concerning any matter, refer it to Allah and the messenger if you are (in truth) believers in Allah and the Last Day. That is better and more seemly in the end."

Verse 4:61 says:  "And when it is said unto them: Come unto that which Allah has revealed and unto the messenger, you see the hypocrites turn from you with aversion."

The clarification is very simple, that is, an allusion to people seeking judicial advise from sources other than the Noble Quran.

In the above Ayas, Allah exposes those who are actually the violence mongers on Earth. These are those who say that we believe in Allah and the Hereafter, however, they do not themselves know that they are deceiving themselves. The love of violence in their hearts is termed as a disease and Ayas of Allah, increase their disease. When they are told, not to do violence on Earth, they say that we are doing it for a noble cause. 

The above commentary referring to V. 2:8-12. 

The "disease" ('marazun' V.2:10 [derivative of marz]) refers to the sickness of disbelief and hypocrisy.  They claimed to be reformers ('muṣ'liḥuna' V.2:11)  but were actually corrupters ('muf'siduna' V.2:12).   Again, muf'siduna (or working corruption) does not exclusively imply bodily or tangible force;  it denotes  double-dealing, underhandedness, subterfuge, secret and illicit conspiracy that's detrimental to some other cause.  Differently put, "mufsiduna" can be explained as mischief-mongering and the expression is all-inclusive and general in which its negative connotation varies depending on the situation or circumstances.

"Those who have been expelled from their circles unjustly,- because of their statement that, "Our Lord is Allah". If it were not that Allah defended one set of people with another, there would surely have been destroyed silos, businesses, prayers, and mosques, in which Allah's name is remembered in abundance. Allah will certainly aid those who aids in His (cause);- for verily Allah is full of Strength, Exalted in Might, (able to enforce His Will)."   22:40 

Those people who make Allah their Lord (they do not take instructions and orders other than from Allah), they are hated by people bent on violence and war-mongering activities, and they are ousted out of their circles of faith by the disbelievers. The disbelievers label them as an ousted caste. Had Allah not defended the people of the world from these war mongers, violent people, there would have been great destruction in the world. The violent war mongers terrorists would not even leave people going to prayers and mosques, they try to bomb them also. 

Well yes, this is precisely what Sister Ruhi meant when she spoke on the persecution of minority Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar which you discreetly yet irrationally declared as "anti-Islam for political reasons."   So, let's try to grasp this Verse rationally as Allah wants us to.  Verse 22:40 is about the persecution inflicted by disbelievers on Monotheists.   If they attack you, what do you do?  Indeed, first you appeal for peace as that's foremost.  If they agree, then all hostilities must cease and the problem is resolved.  But what if they don't respond to your call for peace and persist in violent persecution?   Allah Almighty answers that as follows: 

"Fight in the way of Allah those who fight you but do not transgress. Indeed. Allah does not like transgressors."  (2:190).

"You may kill those who wage war against you, and you may evict them whence they evicted you. Oppression is worse than murder. Do not fight them at the Sacred Masjid, unless they attack you therein. If they attack you, you may kill them. This is the just retribution for those disbelievers."  (2:191).

"If they refrain, then ALLAH is Forgiving and Merciful."  (2:192).

"You may also fight them to eliminate oppression, and to worship ALLAH freely. If they refrain, you shall not aggress; aggression is permitted only against the aggressors."  (2:193).

And ... this is exactly what we signify when we mention peace as the first priority but not a compulsory precondition, in case your opponents persist on violence and harm.

"Enemies of the believers  are the terrorists, the violent war-mongers. So, Allah's order is to terrorize your enemies with great preparations " 

Yes of course, that has been our view from the beginning.   So we agree on that.  Hurray for a change!    Believers are entitled to retaliate against those who terrorize us.  But those who offer peace with sincerity, we accept their offer.  Simple as that.   By the way, this point is outside the topic of 'submission' and 'peace.'

I will stop here with my quotations & responses because the rest of the Verses you quoted deal with other aspects of life.  I am only discussing the issue you initially raised, insinuating peace having precedence over submission to Allah and linking Islam with salam. 

In a nutshell, the Noble Quran is very, very clear about the definition of "Islam" which is undoubtedly submission.  "Salam" is a social greeting of peace incumbent upon believers.

I suggest you keep to your own site as we cannot trust the suitability of all your posts in conformity with Quranic norms and assertions.  As we have observed, you definitely indulge in tampering of Quranic translations to advocate your selected hypothesis.  Your Quranic view appears to have a foundational difference with ours on the basic perception of the term 'Islam' to begin with, which is very significant and cannot be ignored as many other Quranic principles are intertwined with the Quranic assertion of submission (Islam).   Each time such folks put up a post, we are left on the tenterhooks until we have checked the entire piece, as we have no idea what subtle twists their interpretations may take to repudiate a confirmed Quranic stance that may misrepresent MV and confuse the guest readers.   It also gets too time consuming for us as our job isn't editing & moderating the works of others.  I'm simply being honest.

We are not supposed to hamper with Quranic contents for the purpose of making them compatible with our concepts we personally fancy.  Rather, we need to seek compatibility of our own concepts with the Quran in order to stay within Al-Furqan.

I thank you and Allah bless.   As-Salaam Alaikum.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 09:38:43 am »

This brother is pretty confused;  he apparently isn't quite sure of the boundaries of the topic he raised and that's the reason he is going off-topic as he proceeds with his response.

However, I would like to pick two of his misinterpreted off-topic points and explain them because these are important Quranic contents and their misinterpretations must not be left unanswered.

Those who believe say, "Why is not a sura sent down (for us)?" thus when a sura of categorical meaning is revealed, and fighting is mentioned therein, thou wilt see those in whose hearts is a disease looking at thee with a look of one fainting from death, which is more fitting for them-  (47:20)

Believers who are peaceful people, pray that Allah reveals the true meaning of (ideological) fighting in Al-Kitab. When real meaning of Qital/Fighting (ideological fight) is clarified from Sooras/chapters of Quran, the people in whose hearts is a disease (see 2:8-12 for the people whose hearts have disease, are the people who like to wage violence/war in earth and they don't realize that they are themselves the violence makers). These people don't like this clarification of Qital verses, which is against their sentiments of war mongering and their faces show death like features, which is in-fact more apt for them as they love violence and to die for it. 

This commentary is completely wrong.

Verse 47:20 continues on to 47:21.  But the brother posted only V.47:20 and hid Verse 47:21 to deceive readers and justify his misreading.  Secondly, his commentary makes no sense, turning facts upside down, and no compatibility between the original Verses and his commentary.

Here is the complete message conveyed by Allah concerning this aspect:

"Those who believe say, "Why has a surah not been sent down? But when a precise surah is revealed and fighting is mentioned therein, you see those in whose hearts is hypocrisy looking at you with a look of one overcome by death. And more appropriate for them [would have been]    47:20.

Obedience and good words. And when the matter [of fighting] was determined, if they had been true to Allah , it would have been better for them."  47:21.

"Those who believe ..."  refers to the big talkers who aren't true to their word, whose promises are showboats but fail when put to the test.  These are the hypocrites.  So when Allah commands fighting through His Revelations, then those cowardly hypocrites turn nervous and back off.  This is up to Verse 47:20.   Then in Verse 47:21 Allah says it would have been more appropriate and much better for them if they had obeyed His Commandment in the matter of fighting and thus proven their loyalty to Him.

Let us review below Ayas in Quran about physical fighting:

5:27-29  وَاتْلُ عَلَيْهِمْ نَبَأَ ابْنَيْ آدَمَ بِالْحَقِّ إِذْ قَرَّبَا قُرْبَانًا فَتُقُبِّلَ مِنْ أَحَدِهِمَا وَلَمْ يُتَقَبَّلْ مِنَ الْآخَرِ قَالَ لَأَقْتُلَنَّكَ ۖ قَالَ إِنَّمَا يَتَقَبَّلُ اللَّهُ مِنَ الْمُتَّقِينَ  لَئِن بَسَطتَ إِلَيَّ يَدَكَ لِتَقْتُلَنِي مَا أَنَا بِبَاسِطٍ يَدِيَ إِلَيْكَ لِأَقْتُلَكَ ۖ إِنِّي أَخَافُ اللَّهَ رَبَّ الْعَالَمِينَ  إِنِّي أُرِيدُ أَن تَبُوءَ بِإِثْمِي وَإِثْمِكَ فَتَكُونَ مِنْ أَصْحَابِ النَّارِ ۚ وَذَٰلِكَ جَزَاءُ الظَّالِمِينَ

And recite over them the news in truth of the two sons of Adam. When they both gave sacrifice to be close (to Allah) then it was accepted from one of them and was not accepted from the other. "He said I will definitely kill you." "He said surely Allah accepts (the sacrifice)from those who guard." "If you will stretch out your hand towards me to kill me, I will not stretch out my hand towards you to kill you. Surely I fear Allah the Lord of the Worlds." "Surely I intend that you reside with my sin (in killing me ) and with your sin. So you will be from the companion of fire. And that is the reward of the oppressors."  (5:27-29)

What is the lesson we get from the above Ayas? When some one attacks you physically you are not to strike back, why? because Allah is there to recompense fully the evil doers? (See related post of Qasas : https://topicsfromquran.com/2017/06/04/qasas/)A grave evil act like murder will stay in the psyche of the perpetrator and will haunt him and eventually destroy his psychology. A person doing bad acts can not live peacefully like a person  with clean conscience who does not have to fear everyday getting recompensed for his evil actions. If there is a choice, it is always better to leave the scene where some one attacks you to cause bodily harm. 

No, no.  That's not the lesson at all.  You can strike back, but you shouldn't take the initiative.  Self defense is fully approved by Allah Almighty.   Let's analyse it with care.

"But recite unto them with truth the tale of the two sons of Adam, how they offered each a sacrifice, and it was accepted from the one of them and it was not accepted from the other. (The one) said: I will surely kill you. (The other) answered: Allah accepts only from those who ward off (evil).

Even if you stretch out your hand against me to kill me, I shall not stretch out my hand against you to kill you, indeed! I fear Allah, the Rab of the Worlds.

Indeed! I would rather you should bear the punishment of the sin against me and your own sin and become one of the owners of the fire. That is the reward of evil-doers."  (5:27-29).

Verses 5:27-29 are not about a person killing his victim while the victim willingly offers his life at the mercy of the aggressor as a show of "peace."  This Verse is a condemnation of the act to initiate  aggression.    Hence the victim tells his aggressor that he won't stretch out his hand to kill him because he doesn't want to be the first to attack.   Allah knows best the details, but perhaps the victim may not have had the means to defend himself and so he was killed by his aggressive brother.

Righteousness does not demand that if someone is subjected to aggression, they must surrender to the aggressor instead of defending themselves.  But  righteousness does demand that a man should not take the initiative to carry out aggression even if they know the aggressors are scheming to attack them.  They should be ready to repel the attack, but not begin hostilities so that the responsibility of pre-emptive aggression is squarely on the one who was scheming.   This is the lesson conveyed by Verses 5:27-29. 

Proof of self-defense which is permitted in the Noble Quran.  Fighting must be defensive, not aggressive:

"Permission (to fight) has been given to those who are being fought, because they were wronged" Holy Quran 22:39

"And fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, but be not aggressive. Surely Allah loves not the aggressors."   2:190 

"Allah loves not the public utterance of harsh speech save by one who has been wronged. Allah is ever Hearer, Knower."   4:148

The Noble Quran allows retaliation but also greatly appreciates perseverance. 

"If you punish, then punish with the like of that wherewith you were afflicted. But if you endure patiently, verily it is better for the patient."  (16:126).

Thus, if you retaliate, you are not doing anything wrong and your conduct is within the bounds of right conduct.  If you bear patiently, perhaps the reward from Allah in the Hereafter will be still greater as endurance on the face of injustice requires immense humility, sabr and courage.  But retaliation is completely permissible.

Related post:

Noble Quran allows fighting in self-defense

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: