Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 29, 2024, 12:45:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Angels ask Allah to forgive humans on earth (V.42:5) Ash-Shura

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Angels ask Allah to forgive humans on earth (V.42:5) Ash-Shura  (Read 309 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: March 10, 2019, 11:04:49 am »

BismEm

"Almost might the heavens above be rent asunder while the angels hymn the praise of their Rab and ask forgiveness for those on the earth.  Lo! Allah, He is the Forgiver, the Merciful."  (42:5).

Salam dear folks.   

Do angels ask Allah Almighty to forgive humans on earth as one of their responsibilities? 

Furthermore, according to the commentary of Maududi on V.42:5, quote:  "angels implore Allah for mercy again and again for the dwellers of the earth, who have forgotten themselves and their God, and pray that they may yet be spared from the torment and given more respite to mend their ways."  However, V.42:5 apparently does not support that view of Maududi.  I also checked the preceding and following Verses.  There are no references to Maududi's opinion.  Why does he conclude that angels ask forgiveness for the sinners, requesting Allah to grant them more time on earth?

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 11:12:11 am »

Walaikum As-Salam sister Ruhi.

Answer to the first part of your query .... it's not possible to confirm whether or not Allah has assigned that as one of the responsibilities of the angels.   Only Allah would know best.  However, this Verse confirms that angels do ask forgiveness from Allah for humans.  Just the way we humans implore Allah to forgive other humans, so the angels also humbly request the same to The Almighty to forgive humans on earth.   

Second part of your question .. I too cannot see any plausible reason why Maududi expressed such an idea in his tafsir.  Indeed the Noble Quran gives no reason to assume that.  There might be some ahadith that say something to that effect as many of Maududi's commentaries are based on Hadith narrations. 

Also, let me add, as we do know that the Hadith loves to guess, fabricate and forge, it consists of several narrations mentioning the type of people the angels ask forgiveness for.   But of course, I would advise everyone not to dwell on such guesswork as only Allah Almighty has the accurate and final answer concerning the people the angels ask Him to forgive.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 11:16:31 am »

Many thanks brother.   

Yes, I don't care for those hadith babblings.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 07:58:09 am »

Just one clarification might be important from the view point of our readers who are still learning Islam. 

Indeed V.42:5 confirms that angels do ask forgiveness for humans on earth.  But humans must not misconstrue that into thinking that they can request angels or pray to angels to ask forgiveness for them from Allah.   That would be completely wrong as it would amount to picking a third party to intercede, whereas our prayers for forgiveness or whatever must be directly to Allah.  We are required to reach out to Allah directly and speak to Him, and implore Him for whatever we need.   Angels asking forgiveness for humans from Allah is something strictly between Allah and the angels.  We need not concern ourselves with that.  We must focus on our prayers and supplications as addressed directly to The Almighty.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 08:05:00 am »

Very, very important point.  My apology, I should have stated it.  But we already know it too well.  You're right, it's basically for the information of newcomers to Islam or those Muslims who know little and haven't been practicing Islam much.   To all of them I would advise, please note this point mentioned by Sister Zeynab.  It's absolutely paramount.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 08:08:08 am »

Thanks a million dear Sis.  Yes I'm already aware of that.  Indeed it's paramount, and learners must know it.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 09:06:14 am »

Just one clarification might be important from the view point of our readers who are still learning Islam. 

Indeed V.42:5 confirms that angels do ask forgiveness for humans on earth.  But humans must not misconstrue that into thinking that they can request angels or pray to angels to ask forgiveness for them from Allah.   That would be completely wrong as it would amount to picking a third party to intercede, whereas our prayers for forgiveness or whatever must be directly to Allah.  We are required to reach out to Allah directly and speak to Him, and implore Him for whatever we need.   Angels asking forgiveness for humans from Allah is something strictly between Allah and the angels.  We need not concern ourselves with that.  We must focus on our prayers and supplications as addressed directly to The Almighty.

Alhumdulilah, that's a principal reminder which of course we know, but many others may not have pondered.  They absolutely need to keep this point in mind.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 08:53:48 am »

Salams folks.  Another query.   My sister was asking, that from the same perspective, would it be wrong for humans to make dua to Allah for other humans?   I mean, this is something we all do, right?  I make dua for the well being of my family, they make dua for me, and we make dua for close friends and neighbors.   

Your opinion is awaited and would be very helpful to understand this point.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 09:04:51 am »

Wa'salaam Sister Ruhi.

No, no.  That is fine.  Humans praying to Allah Almighty for other humans is definitely a different matter and permissible.  It cannot be assessed in the same perspective.  Surely we all make dua to The Almighty for our family, friends, neighbors and implore Allah to grant them strong iman, good health, happiness and His protection.  This is an act of kindness, responsibility and concern for the close community we are living in.  We make dua for our fellow human beings just the way we make dua for ourselves.   Also, in tough times, we request our family and friends to make dua to Allah for us.  This is simply an extra step for calling out to Allah in addition to our own dua to Him directly.   It certainly doesn't imply that we must only depend on others to make dua for us and not reach out to Allah ourselves.   

Let me further confirm my opinion by supporting it with Quranic information. 

Quoting Verse 9:103, Surah At-Tawbah.

"Take alms of their wealth, wherewith you may purify them and may make them grow, and pray for them.   Lo!  your prayer is an assuagement for them. Allah is Hearer, Knower."  (9:103).

If you look up Verse 9:103 of Surah At-Tawbah and then also read its preceding Verse, you will grasp that Allah Almighty is speaking to the Prophet (pbuh) about a segment of people apparently in Medinah or its outskirts.  These people committed some ill deed and then acknowledged it.  We may perhaps assume that they repented.   Concerning them, Allah Almighty tells the Prophet (pbuh) in V.9:103 to take (or probably accept) charity from them to purify them, and to pray for them (that is, make dua for them).   Allah refers to the Prophet's dua for them as " سَكَنٌ " (sakanun)  which Pickthall has translated as 'assuagement' and some others have translated as 'reassurance.'   "Assuage" means to relieve or to make less severe.  I think the word 'assuagement' fits better because from what I know, the original 'sakanun' is linked with the Arabic term sakoon ( سكون)  which means calm or tranquility.   Thus, Allah Almighty gives permission to the Prophet (pbuh) to pray or make dua for a people in order to grant them some relief from sin.

Hence, if we humans make dua to Allah for other humans, that's okay.  It certainly doesn't bring about the same concept as a human being asking an angel to request Allah for forgiveness.  This is a different matter and completely wrong.    Also, if angels request Allah Almighty for the forgiveness of humans, Allah has confirmed that as acceptable in Verse 42:5.   But it should not go the other way round, that is, humans asking angels to approach Allah Almighty to ask forgiveness for them.  This, as we all know, would be plainly wrong.

Hope I've made myself clear, InshAllah.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 09:15:55 am »

Shokran again dear Sis.  You clarified it so well.  Yes I'm familiar with V.9:103.    I don't know how I didn't think of it at this moment as it answers my question very logically and simply.  May Allah Almighty continue to guide and protect us, ameen. 
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 09:18:06 am »

You're welcomed Sis ..
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 09:40:51 am »

Concerning Sister Ruhi's question, thank you Sister Zeynab.  Well analyzed. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: