Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 11:35:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Lightening seized the people of Prophet Moses - Verses 2:55-56

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Lightening seized the people of Prophet Moses - Verses 2:55-56  (Read 413 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: July 01, 2019, 08:28:36 am »

BismEm

salamem

I would hugely appreciate if anyone can explain a bit in regard to the backdrop of the following Verses.   That would help me to understand it better.

"And when ye said: O Moses! We will not believe in thee till we see Allah plainly; and even while you gazed the lightning seized you.    Then We revived you after your extinction, that ye might give thanks."   (2:55-56).

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 09:10:35 am »

Walaikum AsSalam sis.    I think most likely the reference is to an incident during the Exodus when the Israelites demanded from Prophet Moses (pbuh) to see Allah as a condition of their belief.  That made Allah angry and He sent the lightning as a punishment on those people.  The last line, that is, Verse 2:56 "Then We revived you after your extinction, that you might give thanks." can have two interpretations.  First interpretation can be that when the lightning struck them, they died but Allah forgave them and brought them back to life.  The second explanation can be that those who demanded to see Allah, were struck by lightning and they died.  Later, their next generation or descendants were revived into following Faith after the death of their ancestors.  This comes to mind because after the Exodus it took about 40 years, as confirmed by the Quran, for the Israelites to enter the Holy Land which was most likely after the passing of Prophet Moses.  Thus, that might be a reference to the transition from ancestor to descendant.  I think most likely the second explanation is the right one.  And only Allah knows best.

According to Maududi's commentary:

"When Moses went up to Mount Tur for forty days and forty nights, he was also told to bring with him seventy of the chiefs of Israel. Then Allah bestowed upon him the Book and Criterion and gave him the stone tablets with Instructions and Commandments inscribed on them for the guidance of the people, and he presented these to the chiefs. The Qur'an says that at that time some wicked people from among them began to say: "How can we believe, on a mere statement of yours, that Allah has had a talk with you?" At this Allah became angry with them and punished them."

Maududi hasn't quite clarified his commentary.  But his connotation seems to be in conformity with my second interpretation.  Also, Maududi confirms that it happened when Prophet Moses went to bring the Torah in the presence of The Almighty.  But I'm not sure if this incident happened then or some other time.  Perhaps Maududi got a bit mixed up.  In accordance with Quranic references I think Prophet Moses (pbuh) went to receive the Torah alone.  Please refer to post When Prophet Moses and some of his companions experienced earthquake (V.7:155).

There are many historical narrations in the Noble Quran, the details of which are hard to confirm.  They're only known to Allah alone.  Frankly, I consider it important to understand correctly the Quranic commandments that govern our lives.  As far as the Quranic narrations are concerned, I follow them to the point Allah has mentioned them.  In some of the historical narrations, all details are confirmed.  In some Allah only mentions as far as necessary to convey His message to humanity.  For example in regard to Verses 2:55-56, the significant aspect to understand is that those people with Prophet Moses who acted rude and audacious were punished and struck with lightening.  This was most likely in Mount Sinai during the time Prophet Moses received the Divine Commandments.  But confirmation of this point must be left to Allah.

Hope  I've made myself understood, Insh'Allah.

The following related posts also might help:
-   Mount Sinai
".. and Allah said unto them: Die; and then He brought them back to life."

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 09:15:49 am »

Yeah sis, I understand very well now.  May Allah Almighty bless you for your help.  Ameen.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 09:17:17 am »

Welcome Sis Ruhi  ..
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 09:24:06 am »