Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 08:00:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Avocado

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Avocado  (Read 467 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: August 24, 2019, 12:19:00 am »

Salam and hi folks.  Need some info to help out a relative, my mother-in-law's sister.  She was always on the heavier side, and as she ages, she's getting awfully weight conscious .. obsessive.  The inspiration isn't health, rather delusive and fancy dreams of looking "young and girlish" again.   She's 55, 5'6" and 153 lbs.  Her husband worries that she may get anorexic and multiply problems for herself and her family.   Her most recent craze is fruits .... just fruits and fruits to survive on all day .. namely avocados.   Despite her fixation to get much slimmer, she's got a colossal appetite.  She goes through two or three hass avocados like a chisel through butter, in addition to a salad-bowl full of assorted fruits.   Also as expected, she's turned irritable, grumpy and lazy.  Notwithstanding the weight loss mania, she loves being a couch potato and hardly works out ... driving her husband, son and poor daughter-in-law nuts.   

Her family is trying to knock some sense into her head and thus looking for the right information on sensible approach to weight loss.  I told them I would InshAllah speak to my colleagues and friends at MV for advise.   I know such diet planning isn't rational.   Any guidelines on how irrational it is?   Cheesy

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 12:40:36 am »

Grin Grin    must be real pain int he a** for her family.   What is the problem behind the obsession?  I mean, how or why did the delusional dreams start?
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 12:49:48 am »

You bet brother .... an excruciating ass pain   Cheesy Cheesy   She isn't a close relative so I wouldn't know much.  From whatever I've been told, she's long been loaded with idiosyncracies and never easy to get along with.   Recently she was attending some health-cooking classes in someone's house where several fat ladies aged 50+ and equally delusional would congregate weekly, gleefully showing off every pound they lost over the week.  This relative of mine apparently doesn't have the insight for intelligently planning a low fat diet so she went overboard with just fruits and in the process making quite a nuisance of herself.   I think it's all about competing with some of those fatties at the cooking class.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 12:51:29 am »

Cheesy Cheesy   Grin   Cheesy Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 01:13:03 am »

As-Salam Alaikum dear folks.

Two or three avocados daily along with that huge a bowl of fruits and nothing else isn't the best food planning at all.  That's an imbalanced diet.  We need a balanced diet which can be a very detailed discourse.  Thus, focusing on avocado only .... ..

Avocado is often a fav of diabetics mainly because it's very low in sugar, barely 1 gram of sugar in every 100 grams of avocado.  For the same reason weight watchers go after it too.  However, the other side of the picture also tells us that despite being loaded with high fibers and various nutrients, avocado is high in fat too.  More than 75% of total calories in avocado consist of fat.  Therefore, whether one is overweight or diabetic or both, they should not be taking more than one medium avocado a day.   If it’s a big one, then half.   Cardiac health experts emphasize on half a day only. 

Focus on the following table:
One-fifth avocado = 50 calories.   That is, less than one-quarter of the fruit.
Half avocado = 130 calories.  That is, 12 or 13 grams.
One avocado (medium) has a whopping 250 calories (or more) with approximately 23 or 24 grams of total fat.   Larger avocados consist up to 320 calories and 30 grams of fat, in each fruit.

Food experts may have much to say about the positives of Avocado to the delight of weight watchers .... that avocado is "good fat" which helps "lower bad cholesterol" and "improve heart health" and so on.  All of that is no doubt true but it's on the assumption of avoiding overindulgence.  At the end of the day, fat is fat.    Despite all its nutritional benefits, you must strictly measure your daily intake of this fruit.  The bottom line is, it's high in calories and high in fat.  We are aware that weight gain can have dozens of reasons.  But the most significant factor is the quantum of calories you consume.  Though a somewhat flavorless fruit, some eaters tend to relish its bland flavor and can be inclined to eat up to two, three or four avocados a day.  Very bad idea. 

Having said that, if you specifically ask a dietican whether or not avocados can cause weight gain, they will say "oh yes, avocados are dense in calories and thus an easy way to gain weight."  That again is on the assumption that you don't consume beyond the healthy limit of half avocado a day ...  or certainly not max out on more than one medium avocado.

Something else to remember for those who have kidney issues.  Avocado is rich in potassium which isn't healthy for the kidneys.  If one already has renal health problems, even half avocado/day would not be advisable .. not on a daily basis.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 01:44:39 am »

Many thanks for this interesting data, sister Heba.  Very accurately informative.   InshAllah, I will pass it on to my relative's family.

The issue of diabetes is an important one you cited.  Though my mother-in-law, her diet fanatic sister and their husbands aren't diabetic .... not as yet .... my mother-in-law's father was.   That is, my husband's maternal grandfather.   As we know, diabetic is hereditary to a large extent.  For that reason my husband has been practicing moderation with sugary foods (natural or added sugar) since  his late 20s.  He is 39 now and Mash'Allah maintains a very healthy weight with no spikes on blood sugar level until now, Alhumdulilah.   I guess that goes to say that the relative who is the focus of this discussion -- my mother-in-law's sister --  must be still more careful as her father was diabetic.  Shouldn't that be an added reason to cut down on fruits quite a bit compared to her present gluttony?

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 01:57:24 am »

You're right sis Ruhi.   You mom-in-law's sister does need to cut down on her 'gluttony' ......   lol.

Well, let me explicate that a bit more.

Eating fruits is unarguably good for health and good for weight loss.   The most popular range of fruits are the stoned ones such as peaches, nectarines, apricots, plums and cherries.  Avocado too is a stoned fruit but it's far higher in calories than others, and thus requires greater moderation.  Medical views of Western researchers keep changing periodically as do their already altered Bibles.   Until a couple of decades ago, we were told that if you or anyone in your family is diabetic, the safest fruit for them is an apple a day.  Even an orange a day was viewed with a frown.   Nowadays they say that except dates, watermelon, pineapples and papayas which are high on the glycemic index (GI), all other fruits are okay.  By the way, GI is a rating of foods on a scale from 1 to 100.  The score indicates how quickly the food item may raise blood sugar levels.  They say foods up to the 20s range are okay for diabetics and weight watchers. However, don't grab those adventurous suggestions to go haywire on fruits.  Again, the bottom line is, whether natural sugar or added sugar, neither is ideal for diabetics nor weight loss.  This doesn't mean an embargo on fruits for diabetics.  By all means they can consume stoned fruits including avocados, but that doesn't go to say it's fine to consume a platter full of 2 peaches, 2 nectarines, 4 apricots, 2 plums in addition to two or three avocados daily.  That would be far from wise for any one, particularly if one is overweight or has a parent who is/was diabetic.  Giving that much credit to fruits as a safe diet (as many do) could be hurtful even for non-diabetics on the longer term who  have a family history of diabetes.  Never forget, moderation is the key to keeping a diet (no matter what) within the safe limit.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 02:01:08 am »

Perfectly explained sister Heba.  Plenty of thanks again.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: