Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 18, 2024, 11:44:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

What is Istighfar?

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What is Istighfar?  (Read 877 times)
N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

Badges: (View All)
« on: December 01, 2019, 06:01:24 am »

BismEm

Istighfar can be avidly described as the believer's weapon against the temptations of Satan.  Needless to say, succumbing to the devil's temptations can only carve a single path - the path to Hellfire.    That's how significant the weapon of Istighfar is.

Istighfar is the prayer of repentance to Allah Almighty, begging forgiveness for our wrongdoings.  It is a prayer seeking His pardon, mercy and protection from the hurtful consequences of misdeeds and transgressions.

Istighfar is derived from Gh-f-r (غ-ف-ر), which means covering for protection from dirt.

Astaghfirullah literally translates to "I seek forgiveness from Allah."    It is often recited after prayers, during zikr (praising Allah), it is mentioned during conversations as a symbol of humility and often stated if someone sees, hears or reads something grossly inappropriate or dishonorable.  

Istighfar and some other words from the same root such as Ghafir, Al-Ghafoor, Ghaffar occur in the Noble Qur'an  many times.   Kindly view the following Verses: 

3:135-136 (use of words yaghfiru and maghfiratun)  
66:8 (us of the word wa-igh'fir
5:74 (use of words wayastaghfirūnahu and ghafūrun
11:3 (use of word is'taghfirū)

Often people want to seek Istighfar shortly prior to dawn (fajr), viewed as the best time. 

"And in the hours before dawn they would ask forgiveness,"  (51:18).  

"The patient, the true, the obedient, those who spend [in the way of Allah], and those who seek forgiveness before dawn."   (3:17).

But one can ask Allah for forgiveness at any time.    The reason Allah highlights the aspect of seeking forgiveness before dawn is because this is a quiet time without earthly interruptions.  People who are often distracted from their mistakes throughout the busy day, are able to think clearer and reflect better during this calm period before dawn and thus recognize their missteps more easily.   The better you are able to understand your mistakes, the more sincere will by your repentance.  

Indeed Allah Almighty has stated in His Final Noble Message many times that He is oft Forgiving, Merciful, to those who seek His mercy and clemency.

“But whoso repents after his wrongdoing and amends, indeed! Allah will relent toward him. Indeed!  Allah is Forgiving, Merciful."  (5:39).

"O you who believe! Turn unto Allah in sincere repentance!  It may be that your Rab will remit from you your evil deeds and bring you into Gardens underneath which rivers flow, on the day when Allah will not abase the Prophet and those who believe with him. Their light will run before them and on their right hands; they will say: Our Rab! Perfect our light for us, and forgive us! Indeed! You are Able to do all things."  (66:8).  

At the same time you got to remember that seeking forgiveness (Istighfar) by parroting the term "Astaghfirullah" as a ritual yet persisting on your past sins with no intentions of quitting is not only a waste of time but such an approach is itself a sin.  It surely won't benefit you but could be very hurtful for your soul.   It amounts to making a mockery of your Istighfar.    The significance of Istighfar is to repent or make taubah over your past misdeeds and to make a firm intent NEVER to repeat those violations.  Otherwise Istighfar will serve no purpose.

"Forgiveness is only incumbent on Allah toward those who do evil in ignorance (and) then turn quickly (in repentance) to Allah.   These are they toward whom Allah relents. Allah is ever Knower, Wise.    The forgiveness is not for those who do ill-deeds until, when death attends upon one of them, he says:  indeed! I repent now; nor yet for those who die while they are disbelievers.  For such We have prepared a painful doom."  (4:17-18). 

As the saying goes, "for every second you are in sujood, you are humiliating Shaitaan, so prolong your sujood."

Though all Quranic Verses on repentance are beautiful, my favorite Quranic repentance is "La ilaha illa anta, Subhanaka, Inni kuntu minaz-zalimin" (21:87).    This Verse is the well known Ayat-e-Kareema, also referred to as Tasbih-e-Yunus.   Tasbih ( تَـسْـبِـيْـح‎ ) is zikr with repeated utterances of short sentences in praise and glorification of Allah.  The short sentences can be Quranic Verses or extra-Quranic sentences in praise of The Almighty.  Needless to say, picking your praises for Allah from His Final Book is of much greater significance.  The repentance stated in Verse 21:87 translates to "There is no Allah save YOU.  Be YOU Glorified!   Indeed! I have been a wrong-doer."   This is the repentance of Prophet Yunus referred as "Dhun Nun" which means 'man of the fish' alluding to Prophet Yunus swallowed by the big fish (most likely it was a whale) and then saved by The Almighty.   To truly appreciate the beauty of this repentance, read the post Yunus (or Jonah) in the Noble Quran.

In the Noble Quran there are several narrations that highlight human mistakes including mistakes of Prophets and their families.  This also debunks the rigid opinion of our jurists that Prophets and their families are infallible.  The great quality of infallibility belongs ONLY to ALLAH, THE ALMIGHTY.   Learn more on this topic:  Attributing infallibility to humans.

Related posts:
Repentance and returning to Allah
On Surah Al-Fatiha
Ista'adha (إِستَعَاذَ ) - Taking protection in Allah 
Beauty of Sujood (Prostration) 
What is Dua-e-Kumail?  
Is perfection or infallibility inherent of humans? 

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 02:16:58 am »

AstaghfarAllahi Rabbi min kulay zimbin wa tubu alay.   
(I seek the forgiveness of Allah, my Rab, from every sin and I return to HIM).

Ameen ya Rab. 

The problem as you rightly mentioned brother, is that too many folks are seeking Istighfar without even pausing for a second to think on what they are wanting from Allah.  Indeed Istighfar is such an effective weapon .. provided its used the right way.  It seldom is, and too many Muslims to end up cheating their souls.  Those captioned images speak a million words.

Many thanks brother.  Love this post!

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 03:44:24 am »

I wouldn't only say I don't know how people can live without Istighfar, but how can those who seek Istighfar adopt the approach of a parrot and also go to the appalling limit presuming wudu water washing away sins ... as a shortcut for Istighfar.

This is beautiful post.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 03:45:46 am »

Rightly said Sister Ruhi.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 03:50:13 am »

Top notch piece.  I cannot say how much MV posts are helping my husband and me educating our children.

Agree to the fullest Sis Ruhi.   

Allah bless all of you dear peeps.  May we all meet in Jannah that DAY, InshAllah.  Ameen.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 03:51:47 am »

Ameen, ameen, ameen.  That's such a cherished dua dear Sister Heba.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 03:54:33 am »

Allah bless all of you dear peeps.  May we all meet in Jannah that DAY, InshAllah.  Ameen.

Ameeeeen, ameen.  Not a day passes when I don't remember and mention this dua to dearest Allah Jan.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 03:55:38 am »

Many thanks Sister Ruhi Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 04:01:14 am »

Big welcome dear sis  Smiley

One query though it may not be directly connected to this topic.  I read in a Q&A session, one of our jurists claiming that those who want to revert to Islam, must go to a well recognized Islamic Centre like IIT or ISNA etc.   Is this valid?  I thought Shahadah can be taken at any place or gathering of believers harboring sincere intentions who can be trusted as reliable witnesses.

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 04:17:06 am »

Ameeeeen, ameen.  Not a day passes when I don't remember and mention this dua to dearest Allah Jan.

How nice of you dear sis  Smiley    That will be the real DAY.   Istighfar is a factor that will only help in achieving it.   InshAllah.

I read in a Q&A session, one of our jurists claiming that those who want to revert to Islam, must go to a well recognized Islamic Centre like IIT or ISNA etc.   Is this valid?

Not valid by a long shot, I would say.   For example most big masjids in province Ontario are located in Toronto or Mississauga.   Suppose some non-Muslim in Windsor or London Ontario wants to revert to Islam and they don't have the means to travel that far in the near future.  Are they supposed to wait until they're able to travel to Toronto or Mississauga for the purpose of reverting in a big masjid?

I thought Shahadah can be taken at any place or gathering of believers harboring sincere intentions who can be trusted as reliable witnesses.

That's exactly it .. ..
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 04:22:13 am »

Ameen, ameen ya Rab.

Thanks sis, on the venue of taking Shahadah.   I thought the same.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: