Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 05:34:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Simply acquiring the title of "scholar" is not enough

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Simply acquiring the title of "scholar" is not enough  (Read 464 times)
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: May 10, 2007, 01:45:36 am »

BismEm

Academic qualifications with diplomas and degrees from Islamic universities might make a person appear as an "alim" in the sight of the world, but not necessarily in the sight of the Almighty Allah.  It depends upon the extent to which a person utilizes their academic work to boost their pre-existing spiritual & ethical insight.  Real wisdom and knowledge comes from the contents and quality of ones speech & conduct.  And this is what the Quraan implies when it says that we should obey the knowledgeable ones among us.  It refers to the conscientious ones whose actions are controlled by the rules of their conscience.  This status can be acquired by those with high academic education and also by the common persons who do not have the means to attend expensive institutions.  The important pre-requisite is not the diploma, but the desire to acquire Guidance.   Let's not forget, almost none of the chosen messengers of Allah had any formal schooling.  They were regarded as common people within their communities.  They acquired their deep insight through their own conscientious efforts that made Allah appreciate them, and thus He guided them further by helping them to grow spiritually, ethically and morally .. eventually choosing them as prophets and messengers to spread His Message. 

It's sad to see that nowadays numerous "scholars" and "ulemas" of the Muslim community are blatantly misusing their credentials by taking matters for granted and betraying the blind trust of the faithfuls. For instance, there are many men (both Sunnis & Shiias) coming out of Islamic colleges and universities, and looking for secret temporary marriages in the name of 'misyar,' 'urfi' or 'mutah' (it's all the same) without disclosing their intent to their existing spouses.  They are audacious enough to go to as far as lying about the Glorious Quraan by saying that such temporary marriages are allowed in the Book of Allah.  When they are asked to quote explicitly and directly from the Quraan to prove their claim, they take a shrewd and cunning turn, saying that since they are "alims" they should be trusted and not be questioned by common people.  Excuse me, but such "scholars" ought to be spat upon!  They slander the term 'scholar.'

First of all, let us be clear .. this is Islam.  We have no concepts of priesthoods or sainthoods.  Yet, that's the way we look upon our imams and sheiks.  This is only an inadvertent approach to Christianize Islam. It's much the same culture that's upheld by the Catholic Church of cannonizing bishops and priests as people close to God, and therefore they can do no wrong.  Their shortcomings and violations are concealed, and if someone complains about them, it's the poor complainant who's branded as the violator.  We need to flush out such unIslamic ideas and become more realistic as the Noble Quraan tells us to be.  Imams, sheiks, scholars and ulemas are all human beings and generally just as capable of faltering as anyone else. They are entitled to consider themselves better only on the basis of their wisdom and actions, not their 'designations' and academic testimonials.  Diplomas and certificates from Al-Azha University and its likes cannot be a 'passport' to Paradise by themselves.  The ethical standards of the Almighty Allah are much higher and more meaningful.  There's absolutely no room for such shallow notions.  The kind of piety the Quraan talks about cannot simply be achieved by reading books, passing exams, sporting a beard and wearing a long robe.  Unless we don't correctly strengthen our faith, spruce up our conscience and implement our conscientious values into our conduct, we are nowhere in the sight of God.  And eventually it's the ruling of the Almighty God that counts .. not the opinion of this world. 

As Thomas Paine mentions - "Reputation is what men and women think of us.  Character is what God knows of us." 

I recognize the huge importance of being disciplined.  Nevertheless, if we catch a "scholar" talking nonsense (which they do every so often), they must be told about it in plain terms, respectfully but plainly.  After all, the love and bounty of Allah is not the sole monopoly of "scholars."  Rather, anyone who genuinely reaches out to Allah will find Him Loving and Responsive.  Hence, the Glorious Quraan states that the "Bounty of Allah can never be walled up."  Alhamdulilah.

Besides, it's worth keeping in mind that the most relevant sign of a true scholar is humility.  I say this as per the dictates of the Noble Quraan.   The Almighty Allah says in the Quraan not to assign piety only to ourselves for He alone knows who is on the right path and who isn't.   Therefore, the usual bragging and boasting of "ulemas" on the basis of their worldly education and authority only negate the purpose of their formal education.   Allah says in the Quraan that the one nearest to Him is the one who's best in conduct.  Please note, Allah does not say that a PhD or its equivalent is nearest to Him.

Abu Bakr Sidiq (ra), the first Caliph of the Muslim State and the closest associate of the Prophet (pbuh) mentioned in his very first speech - "I have been given the authority over you, and I am not the best of you.  If I do well, help me;  and if I do wrong, set me right."  Abu Bakr (ra) never hesitated to be as humble as this.  But our "scholars" and imams consider such an approach to be an infradig.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 12:55:44 am »

hmmm, good one, honestly.   this kind of intellectual deceit is becoming a pandemic in the Muslim world.  but again, to be honest, it's the people who surprise me more than the so-called "scholars."  the "scholars" have usurped this type of authority only thru the apathy of the people, and the these people just won't wake up.  it's like they've been captivated and are in a trance by a spell cast by their "alims."  you're right, it's exactly like the authority of the clergy at the Catholic church.

i would also say that of course there are many good scholars too.  but unfortunately it takes little time for the good ones to come under the sway of the autocratic phoneys.  so eventually, the good ones who remain good are a drop in the ocean. 
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 01:10:19 am »

It's sad to see that nowadays numerous "scholars" and "ulemas" of the Muslim community are blatantly misusing their credentials by taking matters for granted and betraying the blind trust of the faithfuls. For instance, there are many men (both Sunnis & Shiias) coming out of Islamic colleges and universities, and looking for secret temporary marriages in the name of 'misyar,' 'urfi' or 'mutah' (it's all the same) without disclosing their intent to their existing spouses.  They are audacious enough to go to as far as lying about the Glorious Quraan by saying that such temporary marriages are allowed in the Book of Allah.  When they are asked to quote explicitly and directly from the Quraan to prove their claim, they take a shrewd and cunning turn, saying that since they are "alims" they should be trusted and not be questioned by common people.  Excuse me, but such "scholars" ought to be spat upon!  They slander the term 'scholar.'

This is shocking.  Is it really true ..?

As Thomas Paine mentions - "Reputation is what men and women think of us.  Character is what God knows of us." 

This quote is one of my favorites

Allah says in the Quraan that the one nearest to Him is the one who's best in conduct.  Please note, Allah does not say that a PhD or its equivalent is nearest to Him.

Absolutely.  Alhamdulilah

Abu Bakr Sidiq (ra), the first Caliph of the Muslim State and the closest associate of the Prophet (pbuh) mentioned in his very first speech - "I have been given the authority over you, and I am not the best of you.  If I do well, help me;  and if I do wrong, set me right."  Abu Bakr (ra) never hesitated to be as humble as this.  But our "scholars" and imams consider such an approach to be an infradig.

Nice words.  But nowadays the 'ulemas' far from allowing others to correct them if they're wrong, wrong others who are correct  teethsmile
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 01:15:42 am »

I recognize the huge importance of being disciplined.  Nevertheless, if we catch a "scholar" talking nonsense (which they do every so often), they must be told about it in plain terms, respectfully but plainly. 

LoL  LaaughingAway  Well, they keep gettin caught all the time but never 'confess.'  That's the big problem.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 02:36:07 am »

salamem  to all

Yes cat, I wouldn't tar each one with the same brush.  But like you said, they're the smallest minority, unfortunately. 

To answer PT's question about "scholars" asking for misyar / mutah .. yes this is very true.  A few of my colleagues and I have confronted some such people.  It's not easy to make them realize their sins.  Like rose mentioned, they keep getting caught but never "confess."  But at least their fraudulent behaviour should be manifested to them so that they may know that they're being observed. 

As for Dr. Soharwardy's lecture on Saturday, May 5 .. he was basically trying to demonstrate the Prophet's (pbuh) power of intercession based on the myths of Hadith,  which neither the Almighty God nor the Prophet have given us any reason to presume.  Soon after watching his lecture, I sent him an  email mentioning why I disagreed with him.  The contents of my email are quoted below.  He's usually quite quick to reply, but this time he hasn't responded yet.  When or if he does, I'll post it here, InshAllah.

-------------------------
Text of my email to Dr. Soharwardy about his May 5th lecture:

Quote:

As-Salaam Alaikum ..

Dear Dr. B. Soharwardy

This is with reference to your lecture on Vision TV on Saturday, May 5 2007 - demonstrating the beloved Prophet's (pbuh) power of intercession with Allah (swt), a concept based purely on the unreliable institution of Hadith for which neither Allah nor the Prophet have given us any warrant to accept.  I understand your lecture had the best of intentions.  But many a times even good intentions insinuate incorrect ideologies.

I don't mean to have a debate on this issue.  Rather, I am simply expressing my opinion and that of many of my brothers and sisters based on the original norms of the Noble Quran and the Prophetic teachings contained within the Quran. 

I hope you will have the time and patience to read the following carefully and try to understand my point :

Your lecture basically protrayed the notion of cannonizing the Prophet's (pbuh) grave, about which, if the beloved Prophet (pbuh) heard, he (pbuh) would have surely been upset and angry.

Also, as we all know, contradictions in Hadith are common.  There's another Hadith that says quite the opposite of your lecture.  It says that the Prophet (pbuh) categorically told the people not to turn his grave into a site for worship and prayers.  Thus, the theme of your lecture that was based on a different Hadith-concept was a contradiction of the Hadith itself.   Hadith contradicting Hadith, nothing unusual!

Coming to the more important issue .. you narrated a single incident of an infant being healed after his parents spoke at the grave of the Prophet (pbuh), obviously implying the power of prayer at the Prophet's (pbuh) grave.  So, what about the prayers of all those other people who have prayed for their wishes to be fulfiled not just at the Prophet's (pbuh) grave, but at places of still greater importance like the Kaaba, Masjid al-Nabwi and Al-Aqsa Masjid?   Indeed the prayers of some have been answered by Allah (swt), but some have not.  The explanation is very simple.  Prayers are ultimately accepted or rejected by Allah based on His judgement alone.  Allah gives the power of intercession in the next World to whomsoever He desires.  And it is upto Allah to accept or reject the request of the intercessor.  Most importantly, Allah has NOT given us any reason to presume whom He might grant permission to intercede.   This concept has been made crystal clear in the Quran.  Neither the beloved Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) nor any of the other prophets had any knowledge if Allah would or would not agree to accept them as intercessors in the Hereafter.  The Noble Quran says clearly that the Prophet "is not avid of the unseen."  This is an accepted fact that does not even require any debates.

Thus, the Glorious Quran gives us no reason to presume the kind of stuff you mentioned in your lecture.  As true believers, we ought to fear Allah (swt), love & respect the Prophet (pbuh) and not make such guesses based on the Hadith.   As it is, the Ummah of today is sleeping and snoring in ignorance.  Kindly do not make it more lethargic with such mythical lectures. 

Allah (swt) says to the Prophet (pbuh) in the Quran that He does not guide whomsoever the Prophet loves or wishes to be guided, but Allah (swt) guides whomsoever He wills. 

Regarding the super-natural powers of Jesus son of Mary, Allah (swt) says in the Quran that the super natural powers of Jesus son of Mary such as to heal the blind and the leper and to raise the dead to life were bestowed on him by Allah (swt).  If Allah wanted He could easily withdraw those powers from Jesus son of Mary, and then Jesus son of Mary could do nothing to get back those powers against the will of Allah. 

The Glorious Quran presents the same concept concerning the beauty of nature.  If we find the sun and the moon beautiful, we are not to adore the sun or the moon, but we are to adore and praise Him Who created these objects, Alhamdulilah.

Thus, while we absolutely love and respect our most beloved Prophet (pbuh) and all previous prophets to the fullest, our prayers & supplications are to be directed only to Allah (swt) and none else.

Sister Zainab

Unquote:
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 02:49:36 am »

good idea.  this was a comprehensive email.  he might take a while to respond, if he does.  btw, what happened to the infant that required a miracle cure?
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 03:01:43 am »

good idea.  this was a comprehensive email.  he might take a while to respond, if he does.  btw, what happened to the infant that required a miracle cure?

Well .. he mentioned an incident about a young couple who went for Hajj with their infant son.  This happened when they were visiting Madinah.  The mother used to keep the milk in a thermos for infant's middle-of-the-night feed.  The thermos broke from inside and the parents didn't know about it.  So when the baby drank the milk, he consumed the small broken pieces of glass in the milk, and got very sick.  The parents took him to the hospital immediately.  The doctors said they didn't have much hope.  In desperation the parents went to the Prophet's (pbuh) grave to pray with the request for intercession or something like that.  Soon after that the child began to recover. 
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 03:50:00 am »

I see ..
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 09:25:38 pm »

yeah, this is what Soharwardy mentioned in his lecture.  apart from everything else, isn't it true that they don't allow visitors at random at the Prophet's grave in Medinah?

has he responded?
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 09:43:48 pm »

.. apart from everything else, isn't it true that they don't allow visitors at random at the Prophet's grave in Medinah?

I wouldn't know about that.  However, during the Hajj season it's possible that the duration for visitations are extended.  But that's not the point.  I don't at all mean to say that it's wrong to visit the Prophet's grave.  Not at all.  In fact, it's a very good gesture to visit the grave of the last Messenger, and also to visit the graves of all our loved ones.  In fact, I regularly visit the graves of my late parents and I love doing that.  But the important thing to remember is, when we visit anyone's grave, we should pray to the Almighty Allah asking Him to shower His blessings on the departed soul whose remains are buried in the grave. We must NOT pray to those persons in the grave asking them to intercede for us with Allah.  That's totally wrong.  We need NO intermediaries to reach out to Allah. 

has he responded?

Not yet.  Tomorrow is his next appearance on TV.  It's possible he might respond then.  Let's see .. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: