Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 06:12:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Paratha (flatbread) with minced chicken filling (Pakistani style)

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Paratha (flatbread) with minced chicken filling (Pakistani style)  (Read 756 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: August 13, 2020, 01:49:30 am »

BismAllah Ar Rehman Ar Raheem and as-Salam Alaykum dear everyone 😀

Coming back to our food pavilion after ages, hey?   And I'm coming with one of the most delicious recipes you'll love. 

It's a favorite picnic snack in Pakistan, and also often packed by homemakers for their husbands and sons as office lunch. 

So let's get going with our flatbread-paratha with minced chicken filling. 

First the ingredients ..

I cup minced chicken
1 chopped onion
3 tsp corn oil
1/2 cup Water
1/2 tbsp Cumin Powder
1/2 tsp Ginger and garlic paste
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
Salt 1/2 tsp 
Coriander Powder 1 tsp
1 tsp Turmeric

1 1/2 cup All purpose Flour with a little salt, water and oil.

Start preparing ....

Heat oil in a saucepan and cook the minced chicken for few minutes. Add spices, for a further few minutes.  Then add approximately one cup water and let it cook until meat is tender and water completely dry.  

While the meat cooks, knead flour along with salt, oil or ghee and water to make the dough for the paratha (flatbread).

Once the meat is cooked and cooled and the dough is ready, make medium sized b@lls with the dough. Stuff each dough ball with a small portion of the mince and seal inside the dough.

Carefully roll out the dough into a slightly thick flatbread-paratha, make sure the meat filling doesn't spill out.   Roast or cook each paratha on a hot pan greased with enough oil.  Cook until the paratha turns golden brown. Serve along with yogurt raita or coriander chutney or with plenty of fresh salad with a mix of raw onion rings, tomatoes, lettuce, bell pepper and cucumber.

It's soooo yummy, mesmerizing !! 🤤 

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 01:59:53 am »

Tried it once ... turned out fabulous.  Alhumdulilah it's one of the most delectable snacks, a Pak speciality
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 02:22:10 am »

Ohh!  This really looks out of this world .... the term "paratta" sounds familiar.  This flatbread can also be made without the minced filling, right?   
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 02:25:56 am »

Thanks for liking it dear sister and brother.

Yeah brother, it can also be made without meat filling.  In fact that's the one more common out there.  This is a rather frilly variation.   Do you guys have paratha in ME?

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 02:27:52 am »

Haven't known of term "paratta" there thought I've heard it from our Pakistani acquaintances.  Naan is common enough.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 02:29:57 am »

O yeah naan, that too is lots in Pakistan.  That's tandoori flatbread.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 02:30:38 am »

That's right .....
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 12:56:26 am »

Yummy and wowie!   love it !!  Alhumdulilah.  Looks much too delicious.   I've heard of 'parata' from a Pakistan sister friend of mine.  I'm looking at this one and trying to figure out, is the flatbread parata filled with chicken or sandwiched with chicken?

Quite long ago, I once also tried to make a parata flatbread at home, just a plain one not with filling.  But it came out a bit stiff, wasn't soft enough to fold, unlike the ones made by that sister.  So what's the secret behind making a parata flatbread successfully in your kitchen? 

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 01:06:12 am »

Salaam dear sis Heba.  I think it's the enlargement of the image that makes it look like chicken sandwiched between paratha flatbreads.  Actually it's filled not sandwiched.  When paratha is cooked on the griddle or thick based pan, it has to be turned on both sides to cook fully.  That cannot be done if paratha is used for sandwiching.  That's why you can either have paratha filling or paratha roll. 

The secret behind making a good soft paratha is basically depends on making a good soft dough.  To make a soft dough, measurement of water should be half the flour.   E.g. If you're using 1 cup flour, water should be half cup.  Pour half of this as soon as you start kneading, then keep adding more gradually. You may not need all of the water, but will need most of it.  Also keep aside half cup flour for dredging which is essential as the dough keeps getting sticky now & again (and I agree it's a bit messy 😃 ).  Finally when the dough feels soft and unsticky, cover it with a damp kitchen cloth or damp clean sheet of paper towel for 15 to 20 minutes.  Then knead again, use a bit more flour for dredging if necessary, make bits into ball and roll out on the flour board. InshAllah, it will come soft and nice, you'll be able to fold it.

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 12:52:40 am »

Thanks sis.  So .. how do I go about with the dough since it holds the key to success?   Apart from flour (all-purpose white flour I presume) and water, do I need to add anything else?  When the small bally portions are rolled out, do I roll them thin or on thicker side?  And for how long to cook on the griddle or pan and at what temperature?

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 01:12:09 am »

Salams and hey sis Heba! 😀   It's easy, no worries.  Just a bit messy and wee bit time consuming, yeah ...

Sister Zeynab mentioned it right.  E.g. 1 cup flour and half cup water is a good standard measurement.  To the flour, add pinch of salt, pinch of baking powder and 3 level teaspoon butter.  Now make a soft dough using  water and knead well with hands until dough is really soft and non-sticky.  You will need to dredge several times in between.  You may not require all of the water, but yes, most of it I guess for a soft dough.   When dough is ready, leave it to stand covered with a clean damp cloth or damp sheet of paper towel for 15 minutes.  If flour is more than one cup then it may need to stand for bit longer.  The more the flour, longer the stand time.  Then dredge the dough.  With 1 cup flour you could make up to 4 parathas at least.  Divide the dough into 4 portions.  Roll out thin cause you gotta baking powder in it so it may fluff up thicker while cooking. Oil the griddle or thick-based frying pan with 1 tablespoon of cooking oil (I use corn oil) and heat it for a while on medium temperature .. between 5 and 10  minutes.  Carefully lift the rolled out portion and place it on the pan. Spread another 1 teaspoon of oil on top of the flatbread paratha.  Then keep turning every 30 or 40 seconds until little golden-brown spots start appearing.  Use a flat spatula to turn.  It should be done in a few minutes.  Transfer onto a flat plate and cover it with a foil sheet to keep flatbread paratha warm and soft.  Repeat the same steps for preparing rest of the bally portions.  Pile up the parathas one above the other on the plate and keep covered.  That's it.  You're done 🙂   You can have it with any curry-like food of your choice, you can have it for breakfast with a spicy omelette or simply with an evening cup a tea.  Flatbread paratha is an all-purpose eat.  

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 01:20:58 am »

Subhan'Allah, got it.  Sounds a bit of a hassle but not insurmountable  😁  InshAllah will be able to handle.  And sure does sound like an excellent flatbread.  InshAllah will try it this weekend, will let you know the outcome here or via email 🤗
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 01:22:57 am »

Of course sis, InshAllah it will come fine 😃
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: