Guestbook opened for now. We aren't registering members at the moment. Guests wanting to post brief queries may post in our guestbook. No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism."
Muslim Villa
April 18, 2021, 11:27:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Funeral for still born babies

+-
Shoutbox
July 07, 2020, 11:23:26 am N. Truth Seeker: InshAllah, vaccine will come but might take a bit of time.
July 07, 2020, 11:22:43 am Heba E. Husseyn: Exactly ... !
July 07, 2020, 11:22:10 am Zeynab: World stuck in a pandemic desperately needs a vaccine.
July 07, 2020, 11:21:18 am N. Truth Seeker: lol true.
July 07, 2020, 11:20:59 am N. Truth Seeker: Very soon it will be neck deep.
July 07, 2020, 11:20:23 am Heba E. Husseyn: Dr. Fauci in US says country is knee-deep in pandemic.
May 30, 2019, 06:15:49 am Zeynab: Alhudulilah, yes sister Ruhi.  Time flies in this fleeting world.  May Allah The Almighty accept our hard work in the permanent world.  That's the real success.
May 30, 2019, 03:43:58 am Ruhi_Rose: Jumaa-tul-widaa (farewell to Ramadan) tomorrow Friday 31.  How time flies!  Ya Allah, keep us close to Your mercy.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Funeral for still born babies  (Read 29 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: December 10, 2020, 09:38:39 am »

Isn't it customary to have a regular funeral with funeral salah for a still born infant, that is, a baby born dead?  I'm curious about this.  Last week my husband got a email from a close friend of his in Pakistan.  He mentioned about a cousin of his who gave birth to a still born baby .. and that the burial was quick as there was no customary funeral with salah.  He didn't mention anything more.   I assumed it was because of the Covid19 restrictions and social distancing rules.  My husband also couldn't understand why, but he said he heard that sometimes funeral rules can be omitted for still born babies according to Islamic Law, that is, the dead baby can simply be buried.  That's all.  Would be grateful if someone can provide a feedback.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zeynab
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 10:05:25 am »

Yes, what your husband heard was right.   Customary funerals for still born babies can be omitted.  This aspect is not stated in the Quran.  The Quran only clarifies that humans must be buried (ref. Verses 5:27-32 Surah Al-Maidah).  But according to the laws of our jurists, most of them consider that if a baby is born dead (still born) then the regular customary funeral is not necessary though it isn't prohibited either.  Even if there is a regular funeral for a still born child, it's okay but not essential or fard (obligatory).  But if the child is born alive and lives even for a minute or a few seconds after birth, then the regular funeral does become necessary as in the case of any adult Muslim.  

The reason cited is that a baby born alive, even if it survives for a second or two after birth, is among the residents of this world and so funeral is necessary as for all other people.  But a baby born dead or still-born never came to this world at all.  So even if no funeral is performed for that baby, it doesn't matter.

For information, the following Verses indicate the necessity of offering funeral prayers.  The reference is to the death of adults.  

"And do not pray (the funeral prayer, O Muhammad), over any of them who has died - ever - or stand at his grave. Indeed, they disbelieved in Allah and His Messenger and died while they were defiantly disobedient." (9:84)  Noble Quran.

"O you who believe! Let there be witnesses between you when death draws nigh unto one of you, at the time of bequest - two witnesses, just men from among you, or two others from another tribe, in case you are campaigning in the land and the calamity of death befall you. You shall empanel them both after the prayer, .."  (5:106)  Noble Quran.

In Verse 9:84 Allah Almighty tells the Prophet (pbuh) not to pray the janaza prayer for the disbelievers.  This obviously means that janaza or funeral prayer for believers is definitely a requirement.  We may assume it refers to adults only.  I feel quite sure about that, though only Allah knows best.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 10:13:46 am »

Oh!  I see.  Must share this info with my husband, InshAllah.   I really didn't know that funeral with salah isn't obligatory for still born babies.  Yes, I understand the reason cited.  Many thanks dear Sister Zeynab. 

And yes of course we know the Quran clarifies disposing of the human body with burial from the Verses in Surah Al-Maidah, and the necessity of janaza (funeral) with salah in all regular/normal cases.   Thanks also for the Quranic references as it will be useful for our guest readers, InshAllah.

Allah bless.

Report Spam   Logged

Zeynab
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 10:16:10 am »

Welcome Sis Ruhi.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: