Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
April 19, 2024, 11:56:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Time to break the fast in extreme locations

+-
Shoutbox
April 02, 2024, 07:27:22 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Details on Leila tul Qadr every Ramadan, links HERE.
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
View Shout History
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Time to break the fast in extreme locations  (Read 581 times)
questioner

Badges: (View All)
« on: April 25, 2021, 06:58:35 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

Assalamualaikum, the actual time to break the fast during ramadan is at night time, not during the maghrib call to prayers.

Certain countries located close to the north and south poles of the Earth would sometimes experience a phenomenon where the sun never fully sets and therefore night time do not happen.

Please advise what is the correct approach to break the fast in these locations if Ramadan falls at the same time as the midnight sun season. Is it even probable?

Thank you.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 11:21:23 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

Walaikum As-Salaam.   Those of us residing in countries where the sun doesn't set or only sets momentarily like Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Finland, usually follow the sahoor and iftar timings of Mecca and Medinah, or the standard time of a nearest Muslim country.  Alternatively, they can also follow the sunrise and sunset times of the nearest European country which does not have continuous or near continuous daylight or darkness.  In other words, in such locations Muslims go by the clock rather than the brightness or darkness of the atmosphere.  In countries where at least 2 or 3 hours are available between sunset and sunrise, some Muslims are able to make it following the local time. 

And yes, you're absolutely right.  According to the Noble Quran, we must break our fast at nightfall (leil), not at maghrib.    Related post:  Right time to break the fast

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 11:27:24 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thirteen years ago a Muslim astronaut of Malaysia went to the international space station in the month of Ramadan, orbiting the earth and going through several day/night cycles every 24 hours, Subhan'Allah!  The legislation of Allah Almighty can be so marvelous and awesome!!  The senior jurists advised the astronaut that he could either offer qada fasts after returning to earth or he could follow the sahoor, iftar and salah timings of  Kazakhstan from where his space journey was launched.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 02:58:41 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thirteen years ago a Muslim astronaut of Malaysia went to the international space station in the month of Ramadan, orbiting the earth and going through several day/night cycles every 24 hours, Subhan'Allah!  The legislation of Allah Almighty can be so marvelous and awesome!!  The senior jurists advised the astronaut that he could either offer qada fasts after returning to earth or he could follow the sahoor, iftar and salah timings of  Kazakhstan from where his space journey was launched.

Alhumdulilah, ya Allah.

Report Spam   Logged

questioner

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 08:46:55 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

From the topic : Right time to break fast

The Noble Quran makes it crystal clear that fasting must commence from the time when the early light of dawn begins to appear upto the darkness of the night.  And darkness of the night comes after sunset.

Darkness of the night would mean when the sky is completely dark and devoid of sunlight, or when it is twilight when some light remains?

If its the former, would it mean the time to break fast would be closer to Isha prayers?
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 10:09:07 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

The atmosphere generally gets dark between 30 and 50 minutes after Maghrib (sunset), depending on one's location.  By that time the sky looks quite dark with no bluish or reddish color.  This is nightfall (leil) and the right time for Iftar.   It's much before Isha.   Isha starts 1 hour and 20 or 25 minutes after Maghrib.

At Maghrib, we need to first offer Maghrib salat, and then will need to wait another 15 minutes or so to break the fast.
Report Spam   Logged

questioner

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 02:29:44 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Ok, I thought I understood your timings but the statement of iftar time being much before isha is confusing me

Lets assume the location is Toronto, CA .

Today,
maghrib = 8:19pm
Isha= 9:50 pm

Secular timing (from dateandtime.com)
Sunset.= 8:19 pm
Civil twilight. = 8.20 pm to 8:51 pm
Nautical twilight.= 8:51 pm to 9:30 pm
Astronomical twilight = 9:30 pm to 10:14pm.
Night= from 10:14pm

Can you please suggest which stage of the secular time periods above does leil in the Quran corresponds to?

Report Spam   Logged
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 09:45:03 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

As-Salam Alaikum Wr Br

It's all fairly simple.  I don't see the cause for so much confusion.  This is about the time bracket of fasting based on the devotion of our soul to The Almighty.  Having said that, it isn't a whole lot important to go into such depths of celestial and solar physics.  It really isn't relevant to count every little grain in the sky. 

Allah Almighty says: 

"eat and drink until the white thread becomes distinct to you from the black thread of the dawn. Then strictly observe the fast till nightfall"  (2:187)  Surah Al-Baqrah

So, we got to fast from fajr (dawn) to leil (nightfall), that is:

- when the sky has the slightest glimmer of blue (which will reflect on the atmosphere) is starting time;  
- and when the sky is dark or almost dark can by definition be called "leil" or nighttime if viewed by the naked eyes is the period to break the fast. 

If these are the descriptions you get looking at the atmosphere, it's fine to start and finish.   It's only when the sky is overcast you would need to guide yourself with the clock in accordance with the sunrise and sunset timings of that particular day. 

By definition nautical twilight is the very tail-end of sunset when the sky looks almost dark, and stars and the crescent or full moon also appear on cloudless evenings.   This isn't maghrib time, it's leil.  For sure, you can start Iftar at this time in accordance with the information in Verse 2:187. 

True, in Toronto for example Maghrib currently is at 8.20 evening;  we offer Maghrib @ 8.20 pm which may take approx. 15 minutes.  Then take a peek at the sky.  It will likely still look bright enough to be called sunset.  Wait for another 15 or 20 minutes and check again.  It normally looks fine for Iftar at this point, and it would be approximately 8.55 pm. 

With Maghrib @ 8.20 pm, Isha time would begin around 9.40 pm approx. which is 45 minutes after you start Iftar.   Mark the words, Isha 'begins' approx. 45 minutes later (if you start Iftar at 8.55 pm), but the time bracket for Isha is very long, therefore you needn't sit down for Isha dot at 9.40 pm and in the process rush your Iftar.   

Such timings aren't carved on stone.  They can vary by some minutes now and again depending on weather and various atmospheric conditions which is absolutely fine.

Report Spam   Logged

Questioner

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2024, 06:08:46 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Assalamualaikum wrt cherished friends of MV and Ramadan mubarak.

I am the original poster of this topic and would like to belatedly apologize for seemingly ignoring the highly valuable responses by Sr. Heba and Sr. Zainab toward my question with a non-reply. Surely it would be ungrateful and treacherous of me to do so, but something must have made me forget about this thread until I came to it today.

Browsing through the forum on the topic, I learned that the timing of my local congregation for fajr prayer is also quite early when it is very much dark outside. Although the correct timing of fajr has been clearly stated in the Qur'an and also explained in detail in this forum, I only managed to learn about it today for which I am grateful for.

However, would it be advisable to continue praying in congregation however early it is, or is it recommended to stick to the prescribed timing of the Qur'an even if it means we have to pray alone? Please advice, jazakallahu khayran.
Report Spam   Logged
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2024, 09:08:07 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Walaikum As-Salam brother.  Ramadan Mubarak, Ramadan Kareem to you too.   Good to see you here after a very long time.  InshAllah we hope you and your family are fine.

You're right, Allah Almighty has clearly asserted the time up to when we can eat sahoor, which is the time to start Fajr.   Unfortunately rushing us with our sahoor and Fajr salah earlier than required is somwhat common in our traditional circles.  Well, it's not too great a problem, but can cause unnecessary inconvenience. If the congregation you attend is starting Fajr prayers too early making it difficult for you and is not required by the Quran, then you may certainly offer Fajr at home at the time indicated in the Noble Quran.

We have also discussed this matter in depth.  Whenever you get the time, you may like to browse through the following post and thread.

Until what time can one eat for 'sahoor'

Last but not least, a very important request:  Please keep Gaza in your prayers.  Kindly make lots of dua. As you know, our sisters and brothers in Gaza are enduring a brutal genocide by Zionist forces and suffering in the most unprecedented way.  Also we are trying to keep our Ramadan menus very simple this year as a gesture of consideration for our sisters and brothers there who cannot even find a bag of flour to bake bread.  More than 30,000 Gaza civilians have been martyred.  Please make dua to Allah The Greatest to grant them the very beautiful spots of Jannah. InshAllah, ameen ya Rabb.
Report Spam   Logged

Questioner

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2024, 04:02:14 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

Alhamdulillah yes me and my family are fine,  and are all eager to take maximum benefits from this blessed month of Ramadan, Insha Allah.

While I won't say it's difficult, I must say praying fajr a bit later than the traditional timings do give some relaxed feeling as we don't need to rush out of bed to get prepared. There is approximately  1 hour gap between the adhan for fajr prayers and sunrise here, while workday typically starts one hour or 2 after sunrise, though many are starting to commence even later.

Yes, absolutely share your thoughts on the horrific situation on Gaza brought by the psychotic actions of the Zionist entity, while the Western powers gleefully support and enable it despite protests and rebuke from their own populations. May every martyr in Gaza achieve the highest rank of Jannah, where they will be joined by the martyrs of past and future in the blessed enjoyment of Allah's Paradise. May every living Gazan find themselves secure and protected from every evil and malicious actions and schemes against them, and achieve victory over their oppressors and enemies, with a lasting and absolute victory, granted by Allah.

May Allah increase upon His wrath and punishment upon each and every forsaken evildoer, in this world and in the hereafter. Surely Jahannam is the worst of resting places.

Ameen.

Report Spam   Logged
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2024, 01:47:00 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

praying fajr a bit later than the traditional timings do give some relaxed feeling as we don't need to rush out of bed to get prepared. There is approximately  1 hour gap between the adhan for fajr prayers and sunrise here,

That's correct.  While we don't have the Adhan here in N. America unfortunately, our prayer calendar does show approx. an hour's difference between the listed Fajr time and the time for Fajr Adhan from the community Mosque. And some of our Shaikhs and imams expect us to finish sahoor at the listed Fajr time while it's still pitch dark outside, way earlier than Adhan time.  We can certainly adjust that to our convenience as long as we offer Fajr before the horizon turns very orange indicating sunrise, and I'm sure that's easy to discern, wouldn't be difficult at all.  For this purpose if we need to offer salah at home, not a problem.

This specific issue has been discussed in the link Sister Heba provided.

Yes, absolutely share your thoughts on the horrific situation on Gaza brought by the psychotic actions of the Zionist entity, while the Western powers gleefully support and enable it despite protests and rebuke from their own populations. May every martyr in Gaza achieve the highest rank of Jannah, where they will be joined by the martyrs of past and future in the blessed enjoyment of Allah's Paradise. May every living Gazan find themselves secure and protected from every evil and malicious actions and schemes against them, and achieve victory over their oppressors and enemies, with a lasting and absolute victory, granted by Allah.

May Allah increase upon His wrath and punishment upon each and every forsaken evildoer, in this world and in the hereafter. Surely Jahannam is the worst of resting places.

Ameen.

Ameen ya Allah, ameen.
Report Spam   Logged

Questioner

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2024, 05:35:17 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

Jazakallah for your response Sr. Ruhi. In my view finishing suhoor at the traditional time would be quite more difficult than attending congregational prayer at traditional timing. Especially over the course of the whole month but I do realize there are many who manage to do both activities with great effort and planning.

Alhamdulillah the commandments from Allah for both finishing suhoor and starting fajr prayers is much more easy and convenient for us, truly a sign of Allah's unending favours to humanity. I hope more people will come to the realization of how difficult they are making for themselves by following hadith nonsense and clueless clerics who only care to uphold the status quo, instead of the commandments of Allah.

I will try to be more proactive in partaking in suhoor throughout this Ramadan as a statement of my gratitude towards Allah and His religion, Insha Allah. I also hope everyone here as well as fellow visitors to this forum can also participate in every suhoor throughout this blessed month. May the month bring many blessings to all, and especially towards our brothers and sisters in Gaza. Ameen and assalamualaikum.
Report Spam   Logged
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2024, 09:14:37 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Alhumdulilah.  As Allah has said in His Final Message, He has not placed any difficulties in religion.  It's the people to make it difficult making their own rules.

We also need to remember to break our fast at the right time as explicitly confirmed in the Noble Quran.  You probably already know about it.  Just in case you require to know any points in this regard, visit THIS link.
Report Spam   Logged

Questioner

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2024, 10:32:33 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yes sister, I am aware of the thread you linked, alhamdulillah. Usually I just wait until I finished taraweeh and reach home before I start to eat as I am not comfortable eating meals in a limited time frame, as it would be between nightfall and the adhaan for Isha' prayers. Though it is very much possible to eat and drink adequately in this period, that runs approximately 30 minutes where I am.

However, I wonder if starting to eat at such times may cause difficulties among the womenfolk in my home as they would have to clean up the table and dishes quite late in the night as compared to usual. The food, since they are prepared much earlier, often gets cold and slightly less appetising as well by the time I am at the dinner table. Perhaps it would be more prudent to set up my plate earlier, place it in the refrigerator before warming it up in the microwave when I'm ready to eat. Do you think this would be good practice during this month?

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

+ Quick Reply
With a Quick-Reply you can use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post, but much more conveniently.
BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough|GlowShadowMarquee|Preformatted TextLeft AlignCenteredRight Align|Horizontal Rule|Font SizeFont Face
Insert FlashInsert ImageInsert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert FTP Link|Insert TableInsert Table RowInsert Table Column|SuperscriptSubscriptTeletype|Insert CodeInsert Quote|Insert List
Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry angel Jumping laugh police CatSmiley Sleep smkng sport gdbi cryin dancin simpsons RollLaugh HysLaugh HappyBirthday doggy monkey teddybear sittingbunny BismEm salamem offtem proem oopsem bedtem crybem seeyem thebesem backem soryemt weldem Thumbsup Thumbsdwn rdht teethsmile tonguesmile wsalam tesetong Beatin crazyones LaaughingAway shiiit claaap viictery hiyaaa