Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 01:58:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Kindly elucidate the concept of soul as given in the Quran

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Kindly elucidate the concept of soul as given in the Quran  (Read 3595 times)
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« on: May 16, 2007, 07:03:30 pm »

BismEm

salamem to all members and guests!

I wish to know your concept of soul according to the guidelines provided in the Noble Quran.   We know that even non-Muslims believe in the existence of the soul.  But people of different faiths make somewhat different interpretations of the soul.  As a Muslim, how would you define the characteristics and limitations of the soul.  Just curious for a feedback.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 01:27:30 am »

BismAllah .. and Wa'Salaam Sis Heba.  Let me try to comment on this one. 

To begin with, as Muslims and human beings we all know for sure that the body of every living being contains a soul.  The body is mortal while the soul is immortal.  The body and soul are together as long as one lives in this earthly world.  Then, when the body dies, the soul departs from the body.  Those who trust the extra Quranic literature like Hadith etc. believe that after death the soul is made to rest in a place called Barzaq.   People differ in their precise explanation of Barzaq.  However, the Quran says nothing about Barzaq nor any other concept resembling it.  Thus, ever since I've started taking the Quran alone as my source of information (Alhamdulilah), I have stopped focusing on the concept of Barzaq

Allah Almighty says in Surah Bani Israel (V.17:85) that He has bestowed on we humans very little knowledge about the spirit.  In case "spirit" in this Verse refers to the human soul:  That means, complete knowledge about the spirit belongs to Allah only.  The only information that The Almighty has bestowed upon us is the fact that the spirit is immortal.  But where the spirit or soul is preserved after it leaves the body, what are its characteristics, limitations etc. are aspects of the unseen and only Allah has the complete knowledge of all such details.  However, we aren't sure concerning the allusion of the word "Spirit" in Verse 17:85 for which kindly refer to our post The Quranic term "Ruh-ul-Qudusi."  Human soul is generally referred in the Quran as "nafs" and where it stays until the Day of Judgement after departing from the earthly world is known to none except Allah Almighty only.

People in this world often wonder if departed souls are able to visit earth.  Some folks who claim to have seen the "apparitions" or spirits of their loved ones who have passed away, or the appearance of unknown spirits, believe for sure that spirits do visit this world.  But this idea is not at all supported by the Quran.  The only elemental spirit, the existence of which is confirmed in the Quran, is the Jinn. 

I reiterate, the only aspect about the soul which Allah has chosen to disclose to us is that the soul is immortal.  The rest of the knowledge about it is with Allah only.

Related post:

-  Difference between ruh and nafs
-  Quranic term "Ruh-ul-Qudusi"
-  Heart and mind connection 

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 02:13:42 am »

Very good points, thanks Sister Zeyna
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 02:22:34 am »

BTW ... once upon a time it was much the same with me when I was very interested in knowing about Barzaak and I would talk about it a great deal with the Hadithers.  And as you pointed out, I too observed that they all had varying opinions which is typical of human ideas.  Some say Barzaak exists in the grave, some say it's in some other place outside from Paradise and so on.  All based on the various Hadith narrations but absolutely no mention of any such things in the Quran. 

I agree, it's best to accept that we know nothing beyond the immortality of the soul as Allah has decided. 
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 02:06:22 am »

Okay, so .. to summarize this topic ::

Some people claim some souls visit the earth. This is not supported by the Quran.

Am I right?
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 03:02:45 pm »

Right Sis Ruhi.

In addition to my first post in this thread, I would also mention that Verse 56:60-61 (Surah Al-Waqi'ah) also, to my understanding, hints at the existence of the soul.  I would paraphrase it as .. death is unavoidable, and after death one is transformed into something different.  Perhaps this refers to the withered physical remains and the existing soul of those remains that's at the command of Allah.  Some commentators are also of the opinion that transfiguration refers to the condition of the soul in the Hereafter which can either be made to look nicer or worse, depending on the will of Allah Almighty.  But the final explanation is known to Allah only. The Verses certainly have a deep meaning.

We mete out death among you, and We are not to be outrun,
That We may transfigure you and make you what ye know not.  (56:60-61)

Verse 42 of Surah 39 (Az-Zumar) quoted below also states that souls of people can be in the custody of Allah while they are asleep.  But the Verse clarifies that Allah takes away the soul permanently only when He ordains death for that soul.  Those for whom death hasn't yet been ordained, their soul is returned to their body by will of Allah.   So, they're able to awaken from their sleep.  In other words, those for whom the Divine Decree of death hasn't been issued yet, wake up from their sleep because their appointed time for death has not yet arrived. 

"Allah receives (men's) souls at the time of their death, and that (soul) which dies not (yet) in its sleep. He keeps that (soul) for which He has ordained death and dismisses the rest till an appointed term.  Lo! herein verily are portents for people who take thought." (V.39:42)   Translation M.M. Pickthall.

And the Sahih International translation of V.39:42 as follows:

"Allah takes the souls at the time of their death, and those that do not die [He takes] during their sleep. Then He keeps those for which He has decreed death and releases the others for a specified term. Indeed in that are signs for a people who give thought."  V.39:42.

As we can see from these three above mentioned Verses, the soul (of the dead) visiting the earth by Allah's permission is NOT stated or hinted anywhere.  

Additionally, if you check Verses 23:99-100 of Surah Al-Mominun (The Believers), Allah has plainly conveyed the concept that death brings a barrier between the departed soul and earthly world.  I would conclude with the analysis that just as those still living on earth do not have the ability to visit the next world, thus after leaving earthly world, that person's soul does not have the capability to return here. 

"Until, when death comes unto one of them, he says: My Rab! Send me back,  (23:99) Surah Al-Mominun.
That I may do right in that which I have left behind! But nay! It is but a word that he speaks; and behind them is a barrier until the day when they are raised."   (23:100) Surah Al-Mominun.

Allah knows best about every matter.

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 10:57:12 pm »

O! thanks for this additional clarification directly from the Quran.  I don't know how I didn't see it earlier.  It's just what I was looking for.  From what I would interpret, the hint upon the existence of the soul in Verse 56:60-61 is so interesting. 

Thanks again sis Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 07:47:50 pm »

Returning to this thread after a decade .....

Concerning the term "Spirit" in V. 17:85:
"They are asking you concerning the Spirit. Say: The Spirit is by command of my Rab, and of knowledge you have been vouchsafed but little."  (17:85)

Some say it refers to the arch angel, Jibreel.  I thought it referred to the soul.  What's your opinion on that.  I need some details as we expect to take up this topic for discussion end of this month, InshAllah.

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 08:00:57 pm »

Brother, check Sister's post The Quranic term Ruh-ul-Qudusi. 

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 08:06:53 pm »

Thank you for reminding sister Heba.   I forgot about that.

Report Spam   Logged

guest1162

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 08:31:39 am »

https://topicsfromquran.com/2017/04/17/al-rooh-the-sprit/

The word 'Nafs' can be translated as self/psyche/psychology. Ayat 39:42 defines 'Nafs' as conscious mind, which is not alive during sleep, i.e we are not liable for our actions during our sleep.
Rooh is spirit. The Ar-Rooh mentioned in Quran is 'The Spirit'. 'The Spirit' mentioned in Quran, it is not the human soul, but refers to the 'Spirit' behind the 'Words' of Allah, which is evident from the Ayas of Quran as described below:

Ar-Rooh in Al-Quran is the true spirit/understanding of the words of Al-Quran. Behind all words is an understanding, which is communicated to the recipient through the words. For example, a message comprising of words ‘Bring me water’ can be in any language or in sign language, however the understanding/meaning behind these words is the same .  When Al-Quran mentions Ar-Rooh/The spirit it means the true spirit of the Words of Al-Quran. It is not the Rooh which is commonly used to refer to the essence of life form in everyday language.

Al-Kitab mentions that Allah invokes this spirit (Understanding of the Words of Allah) in his Khalifa/vicegerent on Earth (15:29). When Mariam/Mary, protected her private parts and made a barrier between the the (sayings of) people and herself, the Spirit of Allah was invoked in her (66:12). The Spirit brings the message of Allah; the bringer of the message, is in the form of a human being (19:17).  Allah invokes his Spirit in any of his slaves he wishes, and after getting this spirit (of the Word of Allah) this person becomes the warner to people (40:15). Allah invokes this Spirit (understanding of the Word of Allah) on the Messenger, before the invocation of this Spirit, the Messenger does not know what is Al-Kitab and what is Iman/Belief (42:52). Allah strengthens the Iman/belief in believers with the help of this Spirit (58:22). One spirit is called the Ameen/Honest  so that it does transfers the true understanding of Al-Kitab with out any loss of message (26:193). A Spirit is also called Al-Qudus i.e the revered spirit (2:253, 16:102).  Another name of this revered Spirit is Jibreel in Al-Quran. This Spirit comes with the order of Allah (17:85). This Spirit when it comes with the Order of Allah in one night of determination on a person of choice, the understanding of the words of Allah, gained by the person , could be more than what may be possible to achieve in an entire life span of a human being which normally could be around 1000 months/83 years (97:3). All the Angels/Malaika/Forces of Universe are bowing down to the Spirit of Allah except the rebellious one (15:29) who makes comparisons in creations on the basis of self made criterion (38:73-76) and give arguments from both left and right side for wrongful justifications. (7:17)

40:15   رَفِيعُ الدَّرَجَاتِ ذُو الْعَرْشِ يُلْقِي الرُّوحَ مِنْ أَمْرِهِ عَلَىٰ مَن يَشَاءُ مِنْ عِبَادِهِ لِيُنذِرَ يَوْمَ التَّلَاقِ

“Raised high above ranks (or degrees), (He is) the Lord of the Throne (of Authority). by His Command doth He send the Spirit (of inspiration) to any of His servants he pleases, that it may warn (men) of the Day of Mutual Meeting,-“

Only after the Spirit of the words of the Al-Kitab is inspired on the Messenger, he then gets the perception of the Book and the Belief.

42:52  وَكَذَٰلِكَ أَوْحَيْنَا إِلَيْكَ رُوحًا مِّنْ أَمْرِنَا ۚ مَا كُنتَ تَدْرِي مَا الْكِتَابُ وَلَا الْإِيمَانُ وَلَٰكِن جَعَلْنَاهُ نُورًا نَّهْدِي بِهِ مَن نَّشَاءُ مِنْ عِبَادِنَا ۚ وَإِنَّكَ لَتَهْدِي إِلَىٰ صِرَاطٍ مُّسْتَقِيمٍ

“And Likewise, We have inspired you (the Messenger) the ROOH/THE SPIRIT from our order, you (the Messenger) did not have the perception, what is THE BOOK and the BELIEF, but We have made it light, We guide with it whom We will from Our servants. And surely you (The Messenger) guide towards the straight path.”

The Spirit is Honest/Ameen as it transfers the true understanding behind the Words of Allah to His Messengers.

26:192-4 وَإِنَّهُ لَتَنزِيلُ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ   نَزَلَ بِهِ الرُّوحُ الْأَمِينُ -عَلَىٰ قَلْبِكَ لِتَكُونَ مِنَ الْمُنذِرِينَ

“This is a definitely a revelation from the Lord of the universe. Sent down with it is the Honest Spirit; into your heart, that you may be one of the warners.”

16:102  قُلْ نَزَّلَهُ رُوحُ الْقُدُسِ مِن رَّبِّكَ بِالْحَقِّ لِيُثَبِّتَ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَهُدًى وَبُشْرَىٰ لِلْمُسْلِمِينَ

‘Say the Revered Spirit has revealed it from your Lord with the truth so that to strengthen those who believe and a guidance any good news for Muslims/submitters.’

Another name for this revered Spirit is Jibreel/Gabriel;

2:97  قُلْ مَن كَانَ عَدُوًّا لِّجِبْرِيلَ فَإِنَّهُ نَزَّلَهُ عَلَىٰ قَلْبِكَ بِإِذْنِ اللَّهِ مُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ وَهُدًى وَبُشْرَىٰ لِلْمُؤْمِنِينَ

Say. Whoever is an enemy to Gabriel-for he brings down the (revelation) to your heart by Allah’s will, a confirmation of whats between the hands (in Book form), and guidance and glad tidings for those who believe,-

Mariam/Mary took a barrier between her and the people. Practically when you are seeking the spirit of the words of Allah, this Spirit resides within oneself waiting to be recognized. The other teachings prevalent in one’s atmosphere interfere with ones ability of recognize this Spirit. So, one important step is to distance one self from other teachings and focus solely on Allah in order to get His Spirit (i.e the spirit of the Words of Allah)

19:17  فَاتَّخَذَتْ مِن دُونِهِمْ حِجَابًا فَأَرْسَلْنَا إِلَيْهَا رُوحَنَا فَتَمَثَّلَ لَهَا بَشَرًا سَوِيًّا

“Then she took a HIJAB/VEIL apart from them, then We sent to her Our Rooh/Spirit/Essence. So he was an even example of a human for her. “

This Spirit came to her in a form of Human being i.e a human being with the Spirit of the Words of Allah in him.

When the true Sprit of the Words of Allah comes to one, he finds it hard to believe it to be true, as it may be quite different from what one is made to believe by environmental influences since one’s childhood. Mariam was also confused at first and she asked Allah’s refuge from the Spirit that came to her.

19:18  قَالَتْ إِنِّي أَعُوذُ بِالرَّحْمَٰنِ مِنكَ إِن كُنتَ تَقِيًّا

She said. “I seek refuge from you to (Allah) Most Gracious, if you fear Allah.”

Prophet Essa Ibne Mariam is also termed as Word and Spirit from Allah.

4:171  يَا أَهْلَ الْكِتَابِ لَا تَغْلُوا فِي دِينِكُمْ وَلَا تَقُولُوا عَلَى اللَّهِ إِلَّا الْحَقَّ ۚ إِنَّمَا الْمَسِيحُ عِيسَى ابْنُ مَرْيَمَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ وَكَلِمَتُهُ أَلْقَاهَا إِلَىٰ مَرْيَمَ وَرُوحٌ مِّنْهُ ۖ فَآمِنُوا بِاللَّهِ وَرُسُلِهِ ۖ وَلَا تَقُولُوا ثَلَاثَةٌ ۚ انتَهُوا خَيْرًا لَّكُمْ ۚ إِنَّمَا اللَّهُ إِلَٰهٌ وَاحِدٌ ۖ سُبْحَانَهُ أَن يَكُونَ لَهُ وَلَدٌ ۘ لَّهُ مَا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ ۗ وَكَفَىٰ بِاللَّهِ وَكِيلًا

O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your judgement. Nor say about Allah but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary is a messenger of Allah, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him. so believe in Allah and His messengers. Say not “Three/Trinity” . desist. it will be better for you. for Allah is one God. Glory be to Him. (far exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs.

Allah aides the Messengers and believers with the revered Spirit.

2: 253  تِلْكَ الرُّسُلُ فَضَّلْنَا بَعْضَهُمْ عَلَىٰ بَعْضٍ ۘ مِّنْهُم مَّن كَلَّمَ اللَّهُ ۖ وَرَفَعَ بَعْضَهُمْ دَرَجَاتٍ ۚ وَآتَيْنَا عِيسَى ابْنَ مَرْيَمَ الْبَيِّنَاتِ وَأَيَّدْنَاهُ بِرُوحِ الْقُدُسِ ۗ وَلَوْ شَاءَ اللَّهُ مَا اقْتَتَلَ الَّذِينَ مِن بَعْدِهِم مِّن بَعْدِ مَا جَاءَتْهُمُ الْبَيِّنَاتُ وَلَٰكِنِ اخْتَلَفُوا فَمِنْهُم مَّنْ آمَنَ وَمِنْهُم مَّن كَفَرَ ۚ وَلَوْ شَاءَ اللَّهُ مَا اقْتَتَلُوا وَلَٰكِنَّ اللَّهَ يَفْعَلُ مَا يُرِيدُ

These are the messengers We endowed some above others; Of them Allah spoke (directly); others He raised to degrees (of honour); to Jesus the son of Mary We gave clear (Signs), and strengthened him with the revered/holy spirit. If Allah had so willed, succeeding people would not have fought among each other, after clear (Signs) had come to them, but they disagreed (among themselves), some believing and others rejecting. If Allah had so willed, they would not have fought each other; but Allah does what He wills.

Allah invokes His Spirit in the Bashar/Human who He intends to make His Khalifa/Vicegerent on Earth. The order to all Angels/Malaika/Forces of Universe is to bow down to His Khalifa who has the Spirit of (Words of) Allah in him.

38:71-72  إِذْ قَالَ رَبُّكَ لِلْمَلَائِكَةِ إِنِّي خَالِقٌ بَشَرًا مِّن طِينٍ  فَإِذَا سَوَّيْتُهُ وَنَفَخْتُ فِيهِ مِن رُّوحِي فَقَعُوا لَهُ سَاجِدِينَ

When your Lord said to the angels; Surely I am creating a human being from clay. When I have made him even and breathed into him from My spirit, then you all fall down prostrating for him.”

The rebellious one, who does not bow down to this Allah’s Khalifa, tries to justify himself by minusing the Spirit of Allah, i.e he alludes only to the body form of Khalifa and does not mention the Spirit of Allah (which was the reason for the order of bowing down). The rebellious ones tries to create confusions in matters of creations of Allah by making comparisons on the basis of self made criterion (e.g fire better than clay). Rebellious one till this day instead of bowing down to Khalifa, tries to dissuade by makeing left and right side arguments, tries to create confusion in matters of creation and making false comparisons.

38:73-76  فَسَجَدَ الْمَلَائِكَةُ كُلُّهُمْ أَجْمَعُونَ إِلَّا إِبْلِيسَ اسْتَكْبَرَ وَكَانَ مِنَ الْكَافِرِينَ  قَالَ يَا إِبْلِيسُ مَا مَنَعَكَ أَن تَسْجُدَ لِمَا خَلَقْتُ بِيَدَيَّ ۖ أَسْتَكْبَرْتَ أَمْ كُنتَ مِنَ الْعَالِينَ  قَالَ أَنَا خَيْرٌ مِّنْهُ ۖ خَلَقْتَنِي مِن نَّارٍ وَخَلَقْتَهُ مِن طِينٍ

So the angels prostrated, all of them together: Except Iblees / devil who sought greatness and became from the rejectors. He (Allah) said: O’ iblees / devil what prevented you to prostrate for what I have created with my hands. Did you seek greatness or are you from the higher class? He(Iblees/Devil) said. “I am the better one from him. You have created me from fire, and created him from clay.”

The Spirit comes with the order of Allah. The knowledge with the man kind is very little.

17:85  وَيَسْأَلُونَكَ عَنِ الرُّوحِ ۖ قُلِ الرُّوحُ مِنْ أَمْرِ رَبِّي وَمَا أُوتِيتُم مِّنَ الْعِلْمِ إِلَّا قَلِيلًا

They ask you about The Spirit. Say: ” The Spirit is from the order of my Lord and you are not given from the knowledge except only a little (portion).”

70:4  تَعْرُجُ الْمَلَائِكَةُ وَالرُّوحُ إِلَيْهِ فِي يَوْمٍ كَانَ مِقْدَارُهُ خَمْسِينَ أَلْفَ سَنَةٍ

The angels and the Spirit ascend unto him in a period/interval of time the measure whereof is (as) fifty thousand years.

This could be at the time of the end of an era or end of civilization when the angels and the Spirit ascends towards the Lord.

https://topicsfromquran.com/2017/04/17/al-rooh-the-sprit/

https://topicsfromquran.com/2018/06/16/mikal-%d9%85%d9%8a%d9%83%d8%a7%d9%84/
Report Spam   Logged
Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 10:47:38 pm »

Concerning the term "Spirit" in V. 17:85:
"They are asking you concerning the Spirit. Say: The Spirit is by command of my Rab, and of knowledge you have been vouchsafed but little."  (17:85)

Some say it refers to the arch angel, Jibreel.  I thought it referred to the soul.  What's your opinion on that.  I need some details as we expect to take up this topic for discussion end of this month, InshAllah.

Lately I have been hovering around the topic of ruh and nafs and in a discussion outlet (Qora) I found someone (an Arab Muslim) did explain Verse 17:85 as reference to the human soul. 

Quote:
Based upon the Qur'anic verse; "They ask you concerning the spirit (of inspiration). Say The spirit comes by command of my Rab: of Knowledge it is only a little that is communicated to you, (O men!)." (Holy Qur'an 17:85) This verse teaches us that the spirit is an 'Amr' i.e. the work of Allah. In other words, it is a created thing, not self-existent. The Holy Qur'an does not go beyond telling us that. 
Unquote:

Therefore, there are two different interpretations for "spirit" .. some interpret it as reference to the Angel Gibrael while others interpret it as soul or ruh.  Only Allah Almighty has the final authority to confirm the right definition of the term "ruh" or "spirit" as mentioned in this Verse.    Therefore, the reference to the human soul cannot be confirmed but it cannot be ruled out either. 

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2021, 11:16:45 pm »

I absolutely agree with you Sister Ruhi.   While Allah knows best, it is certainly possible that Verse 17:85 is referring to the human soul.   

It's because in various other Verses the term "spirit" is referred to angel Gibrael,  I think that's the reason many people assume the reference is to angel Gibrael.    But I think it depends on the Verse.   When the reference is to angel Gibrael in a particular Verse, the term "spirit" is mentioned as a double-syllable word e.g. "Holy Spirit" (Ruh Qudus) as in Verses 2:87 and 2:253, or "Trustworthy Spirit" (Ruh-ul-Amin) as in Verse 26:192-195. 

"The angels and the Spirit descend therein, by the permission of their Rab, with all decrees." Surah 97 AQadr.   In this Verse "angels and the Spirit" refers to Angel Gibrael as can clearly be understood.

Then again, for example, in the following Verses the term "Spirit" alludes to the soul or perhaps we can say The Almighty commanding the soul placed in the human body. 

"So, when I have made him and have breathed into him of My Spirit, do you fall down, .." V.15:29-30.

"And Maryam, daughter of 'Imran, whose body was chaste, therefor We breathed therein something of Our Spirit."  V.66:12.

"The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a messenger of Allah, and His word which He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit from Him."   V.4:171.

Thus, the interpretation of the word "spirit" does largely depend on the contents of every Verse we read .. and the allusion in Verse 17:85 could be the human soul.  But only Allah has the final answer.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2021, 11:21:44 pm »

Exactly Sis, that's my perspective too.   It depends on the Verse we read.   
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2021, 11:24:50 pm »

Thank you sisters.   Sister Zeynab your wrap up above is very well observed, Alhumdulilah.  I read the link given by Sister Heba on the topic Ruh-ul-Qudusi, and it's summary as you highlighted above makes it clearer. 

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: