Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
April 18, 2024, 11:41:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Story of Abdullahi al-Mubarak and the dead chicken

+-
Shoutbox
April 02, 2024, 07:27:22 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Details on Leila tul Qadr every Ramadan, links HERE.
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Story of Abdullahi al-Mubarak and the dead chicken  (Read 181 times)
Mehr-un-nissa Safeer

Badges: (View All)
« on: November 11, 2021, 09:26:39 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Salam.  Sharing a good story

It is said that the great Tabi’i and great scholar Abdullah ibn Al-Mubarak would perform Hajj regularly and would often pay the expenses of the members accompanying him for Hajj.  During one such trip, someone of another caravan ahead of his threw a dead chicken in the roadside trash.  Moments later a little girl emerged from a nearby house, picked up the dead chicken from the garbage and rushed back home with it. Ibn Al-Mubarak was curious.  He requested the caravan to stop and followed the little girl.  He discovered she lived with her widowed mom. They were very poor, no source of income and were starving for many days.  She wanted to cook and eat the dead bird.  Abdullahi Al-Mubarak was very saddened. Only keeping a little of money for the return journey from Hajj, he gave rest of the money he had for the Hajj trip to this poor family. For Ibn Al-Mubarak, Hajj was voluntary as he had already performed it many times before. When he saw the state of the destitute family, he immediately knew what to do. His commitment was not to the rituals of the Hajj itself, but to the pleasure of Allah, and it is related that he saw someone in his dream saying: "Your pilgrimage has been accepted, and your sins forgiven."  The spirit of the Hajj is the interpretation of this story. It's not the ritual itself, but the devotion to piety that Allah SWT sees in His slaves. Too often the focus is on the ritual act of worship.  But actually like salah the performance of Hajj also goes much deeper than just the practical rituals.

Labbaykallahumma labbayk. Labbayka laa shareekalaka labbayk.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 10:12:43 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Walaykum Salam.  Thank you, nice story, though the authenticity of it is known to Allah alone.

Presuming it's true, it must have also been upsetting for the other people in the caravan to learn that their organizer who had kindly paid for their journey, suddenly got emotional and gave away nearly all of that money to a poor family.  While Adullahi bin Mubarak might have performed Hajj several times before, many of those folks in the caravan might have undertaken this journey for the first time.  It was made possible for them because a charitable person like Abdullahi agreed to pay for them.  But then half way through the journey, the emotions of the charitable person shifted to someone else.  In the process many who were performing Hajj first time were deprived.  

So, how do we balance the ethics in this story?

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 10:19:46 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

😀
Thoughtful question. 

Generally, if someone organizing Hajj or any other tour made such a decision at this point, a lot of people to whom that person had pledged earlier would be too upset.

For this reason the Noble Quran always encourages us to be rational and discerning with our money so not to go to either extremes.

Making a decision suddenly after being overcome with emotions would benefit some but hurt others.  Moreover, it also amounted to breaking his promise to those other folks in the caravan, right?   My humble take:  A better way to handle it would be with more careful planning.  He could have given a little money to the poor family to get by for the next couple of weeks or so.  After completing Hajj with everyone and returning home, he could have later on re-visited the poor family again with whatever superfluous money he had and given it to them.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 10:26:44 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

That does sound more balanced for sure .....  Alhumdulilah.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 10:37:10 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

.. Only keeping a little of money for the return journey from Hajj, he gave rest of the money he had for the Hajj trip to this poor family.   ......

If true, that was immensely kind of him, but also impetuous.  It's a bit like thinking "it's my money and I'll give it to whoever I wish and whenever I wish" and in the process disregarding an earlier commitment. 

Actually I've heard this story before.  It has two versions.  One says the poor little girl lived with her brother, the other, she lived with her mother. 

Well reminds me ....  there are stories of the Sahabahs on charity from narrations and sources outside the Noble Quran that say some of them spent all their wealth in charity and by the time they passed away they had no belongings left.  Can this method of spending be in accordance with the principles of the Noble Quran?

"And those who, when they spend, are neither prodigal nor grudging; and there is ever a firm station between the two;"  25:67

"And let not your hand be chained to your neck nor open it with a complete opening, lest you sit down rebuked, denuded."  17:29

"And Allah has favored some of you above others in provision. Now those who are more favored will by no means hand over their provision to those (slaves) whom their right hands possess, so that they may be equal with them in respect thereof.  Then is it the favor of Allah they reject?"  16:71

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 10:48:41 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Well reminds me ....  there are stories of the Sahabahs on charity from narrations and sources outside the Noble Quran that say some of them spent all their wealth in charity and by the time they passed away they had no belongings left.  Can this method of spending be in accordance with the principles of the Noble Quran?

"And those who, when they spend, are neither prodigal nor grudging; and there is ever a firm station between the two;"  25:67

"And let not your hand be chained to your neck nor open it with a complete opening, lest you sit down rebuked, denuded."  17:29

"And Allah has favored some of you above others in provision. Now those who are more favored will by no means hand over their provision to those (slaves) whom their right hands possess, so that they may be equal with them in respect thereof.  Then is it the favor of Allah they reject?"  16:71

Very correctly perceived Sister.   I too wondered about this point.  Those Quranic Verses you quoted have made it ample clear.   If a person is giving away so much money in charity that he or she is left with nearly nothing at the time of their death, and if they have heirs, wouldn't it be unfair on them? 

However, I'll tell you what.  I observe this as a comparatively recent approach of Hadithists to justify large amounts of donations during one's lifetime.   I think Sister Ruhi had once brought up this point for discussion earlier.  As for inheritance, the clerics cannot interfere with it because the Quran has highlighted inheritance law by default.  So the only way to acquire large donations is to encourage people giving in their lifetime with the explanation that it's your money and you can spend it as you like.  They forget that even then, one needs to be cautious and balanced as clearly asserted in the Noble Quran in order to keep to the middle path in regard to spending.

Also for guest readers' reference: 
Sharing wealth with slaves V.16:71
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 10:58:12 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks brother.  I couldn't have said it better.   Also thanks for the link, yeah Sister Ruhi did raise this issue earlier .... about some ustada going nuts.  Really I don't understand how some of these folks can so comfortably ignore the Quran.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 10:59:25 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yeah the nutty ustada and her talks ....
😁
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 11:08:09 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

ha ha haa ha  😃   Though once in a while certain things they say make sense, primarily I watch and listen to them not to learn .... for little have they said so far that has helped me to learn a lot more than before ..... I watch and listen mainly to monitor how far they have deviated from the Noble Quran by preferring to embrace those spicy human-written fictions & thrillers that frequently contradict Quranic instructions and values.  Unfortunately the extent of this deviation is quite a bit, I say this with a very broken heart  💔

What makes it still more pathetic is that you can ask them queries on how to handle matters in your personal life (by discreetly ignoring their stories 😑).  But if you ask questions on the incongruent nature of their stories with the facts confirmed in the Noble Quran, that's one thing they cannot take.  It just gets them mad!

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2021, 11:20:40 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

😅

Right Sister.   You've assessed their psychology with precision.    I too am well acquainted with this scenario.  We have several such ones in our fortnightly virtual meetings.   One just needs to have the insight and patience to ignore them.
Report Spam   Logged

Mehr un Nissa Safeer

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2021, 02:43:56 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

He kept some money for Hajj to pay all expenses and gave the remaining to the family in poverty.  Dinars were gold coins and stronger than dirham which is silver.  Even few dinars could go long way meeting costs.
Report Spam   Logged
Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2021, 03:01:07 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

He kept some money for Hajj to pay all expenses and gave the remaining to the family in poverty.  Dinars were gold coins and stronger than dirham which is silver.  Even few dinars could go long way meeting costs.

As I said, I've heard this story before from one of the sheikhs of our centre.  He mentioned that Ibn Mubarak was carrying 1,000 dinars out of which he kept 20 dinars for the total Hajj expenses and gave the rest to the poor family.  Maybe you're right.  Dinars back then were of gold and more precious than dirhams; it's  possible  20 dinars would be enough to meet the total cost.  Regardless, his welfare strategy could have been more insightful.  Imagine how much of his money he gave away only to one family .. 980 dinars.  Wouldn't it be a better idea to divide that huge amount and give some to other needy families as well?  Poverty has been perpetual in all times of history and everywhere in the world. I'm sure there must have been several other families as poor as this little girl and her mom.   Unless one would say, Abdullahi ibn Mubarak was a very, very rich man with thousands more dinars to spend.  In that case it should be clarified in this moral story otherwise it might be a bit misleading or confusing. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

+ Quick Reply
With a Quick-Reply you can use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post, but much more conveniently.
BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough|GlowShadowMarquee|Preformatted TextLeft AlignCenteredRight Align|Horizontal Rule|Font SizeFont Face
Insert FlashInsert ImageInsert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert FTP Link|Insert TableInsert Table RowInsert Table Column|SuperscriptSubscriptTeletype|Insert CodeInsert Quote|Insert List
Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry angel Jumping laugh police CatSmiley Sleep smkng sport gdbi cryin dancin simpsons RollLaugh HysLaugh HappyBirthday doggy monkey teddybear sittingbunny BismEm salamem offtem proem oopsem bedtem crybem seeyem thebesem backem soryemt weldem Thumbsup Thumbsdwn rdht teethsmile tonguesmile wsalam tesetong Beatin crazyones LaaughingAway shiiit claaap viictery hiyaaa