Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 05:04:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Ashure Dessert - Traditional Turkish dessert on 10th Muharram (Ashura)

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ashure Dessert - Traditional Turkish dessert on 10th Muharram (Ashura)  (Read 113 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: August 11, 2022, 10:04:40 pm »

I didn't know until I learned recently that in Turkey the Turkish Shiia Muslims have a special dessert for the 10th of Muharram called "Ashura" ('Ashure' Turkish spelling). 

It is traditionally prepared during this occasion and distributed among mourners.  It's also prepared in residences for families.

Though it originated in Turkey, its recipe varies from people to regions and individual taste. In view of this, the pudding does not really have a single recipe. Traditionally the Aşhure dessert is said to have 7 to 15 varieties of ingredients which usually include wheat, grains such as rice, beans, dried fruits, nuts, sugar, etc. Some renditions may include pomegranate seeds for garnishing, rose water, sesame seeds and lemon peel.  Few recipes of the Ashura dessert like to use orange peel and cinnamon to add a little fruity taste as well as a slight brownish color.

In Pakistan the variation of Ashure is a main savory dish, not a dessert.  It's called 'Haleem' and is made with three kinds of lentils - moong, masoor and channa - and whole soft-wheat grains often referred to as “haleem wheat" along with a small quantity of cooked and shredded meat - beef, chicken or lamb - with desired seasoning of spices mixed with the Haleem (lentil mixture).  Haleem and its history has already been discussed in detail in our MV post The word Haleem.   

Variations of Haleem are also prepared in Arab countries and Iran under different names.  It's cooked as a dessert with sugar only in Turkey.

In the West they often refer to the recipe of the Ashure dessert as "Noah's Pudding."  I would appreciate if someone can provide on this.  Why do Westerners call it "Noah's Pudding?"

Images below show the varying looks of the Ashure dessert.

One of its popular recipes and preparation can be seen at Youtube.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 10:58:07 pm »

Wowie, these images look quite yummy, but will it taste as good with such a odd mix to ingredients?  I've heard of the Ashure dessert typically of Turkey, yet never tasted it nor even seen it.  As you rightly mentioned, in the Middle East it's more on the lines of what you call "haleem," in that, it's prepared as a salty dish not dessert. 

In the West they often refer to the recipe of the Ashure dessert as "Noah's Pudding."  I would appreciate if someone can provide on this.  Why do Westerners call it "Noah's Pudding?"

It is basically a very popular dessert of Turkish cuisine generally served on the 10th day of the ‘Muharram (Ashura).  A similar recipe is often referred to as "Noah's pudding" in English among Westerners because of one of their usual unreliable and fabricated stories that is not supported by the Noble Quran at all, not even by any historical evidence from outside the Noble Quran.  According to the tale, when Prophet Nuh (Noah) [pbuh] sailed away with his small group of believing followers in the Ark, after a while (probably toward the end of their voyage) the limited food supplies began to finish.  So, instead of cooking separate dishes of food which would utilize larger quantities of ingredients, Prophet Nuh decided to put all the remaining food stocks into a single hot-pot to cook a larger quantity of food for everyone on board until the Ark docked.  But this hot-pot food story is just a myth.  Not to be taken seriously at all.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 11:05:08 pm »

Wowie, these images look quite yummy, but will it taste as good with such a odd mix to ingredients?  .. 

lol, I was also wondering about that ..

It is basically a very popular dessert of Turkish cuisine generally served on the 10th day of the ‘Muharram (Ashura).  A similar recipe is often referred to as "Noah's pudding" in English among Westerners because of one of their usual unreliable and fabricated stories that is not supported by the Noble Quran at all, not even by any historical evidence from outside the Noble Quran.  According to the tale, when Prophet Nuh (Noah) [pbuh] sailed away with his small group of believing followers in the Ark, after a while (probably toward the end of their voyage) the limited food supplies began to finish.  So, instead of cooking separate dishes of food which would utilize larger quantities of ingredients, Prophet Nuh decided to put all the remaining food stocks into a single hot-pot to cook a larger quantity of food for everyone on board until the Ark docked.  But this hot-pot food story is just a myth.  Not to be taken seriously at all.

O dear!  Complete guessawork, ha?   lol ..

Thanks for this info, sis.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 11:17:43 pm »

I have eaten this Ashure بودِنْج  though just once at a family friend's home on 9th Muharram.  I think you are right, it has several recipes.  I don't know which recipe they followed, but it tasted quite good. 

That story behind "Noah's Pudding" is complete fiction.   
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 11:22:01 pm »

I have eaten this Ashure بودِنْج   though just once at a family friend's home on 9th Muharram.  I think you are right, it has several recipes.  I don't know which recipe they followed, but it tasted quite good. 

O really?   I was wondering that chickpeas and beans (usually always a salty food) mixed with sugar might taste strange ..
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 11:27:25 pm »

The one I had didn't have any chickpeas or beans, just barley I guess and rice for sure, combined with standard ingredients like nuts, raisins, pitted dates, sesame seeds, orange peel, slight cinnamon flavor and evaporated milk decorated with orange segments and cream.  A fairly good dessert, I would say.   

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2022, 11:29:37 pm »

Mash'Allah, that sounds pretty fabulous.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 11:38:59 pm »

Yeah, we all liked it ..
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: