Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
April 19, 2024, 12:04:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Are we sure that 'Tahajjud' prayer is not fard (obligatory)?

+-
Shoutbox
April 02, 2024, 07:27:22 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Details on Leila tul Qadr every Ramadan, links HERE.
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Are we sure that 'Tahajjud' prayer is not fard (obligatory)?  (Read 1960 times)
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« on: June 07, 2007, 02:40:18 am »

salamem 

"Establish worship at the two ends of the day and in some watches of the night. Indeed! good deeds annul ill-deeds. This is reminder for the mindful." (11:114) Surah Hud

I was wondering, doesn't the above Verse clearly show that Tahajjud prayer (or middle of the night prayer) is as important as the other fard (obligatory) daily prayers? 

The "scholars" are of the view that Tahajjud was obligatory only for the Prophet (pbuh), but for others it is optional.  However, in verse 11:14 there is no evidence that it is meant specifically for the Prophet.  Thus, the last line of the verse says that "This is a reminder for the mindful" which clearly indicates that it is for everyone who cares to acquire faith and guidance, starting from the Prophet of course. 

Basically, the comparison of Tahajjud in this verse is with Fajr and Isha prayers.  "Establish worship at the two ends of the day .."  is a clear reference to Fajr and Isha.  And "in some watches of the night" means the middle-of-the-night prayer, waking up from sleep, that is .. Tahajjud. 

I suppose, since most people are either too sluggish or too tired to offer Tahajjud regularly, including the "scholars" and shaikhs, so they passed this ruling that it is fard only for the Prophet.  Seems like a typical example of manipulating Quraanic dictates for the purpose of convenience. 

I think one needs to be careful before circulating such rules.  If Tahajjud is inconvenient for the majority in the present world order that they have created for themselves, that's a different matter.  But that does not mean they should misinterpret the Noble Quran, right?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 03:10:47 am »

I've also thought of this many times.  In my opinion, the importance of Tahajjud prayer as highlighted in V.11:114 which is clearly for all, not just for the Prophet (pbuh), as you rightly observed, comes from its vast rewards for sacrificing our sleep and focusing on Allah in the peace and serenity of the middle of the night.  That's what makes it beautiful and hugely rewarding.  Unfortunately, owing to the very hectic nature of day time life & schedule of most people (which only gets more frenzied and bustling as the world population grows), it would not be possible for everyone to awaken for Tahajjud every night.  Needless to mention, Allah Almighty understands it best as He has already asserted that He has not placed any hardship in religion (ref. V.22:78).  This denotes that every person has varying limitations.   Some can do more while others may be compelled to have a shorter spiritual schedule because of the responsibilities of life.  What's important is to try our best to achieve as much as we can without overburdening or tiring ourselves.  Therefore, while it may be possible or easy for many (e.g. retirees, self employed folks, home-makers etc.) to offer Tahajjud every night or most nights, it might be far tougher for those working at workplaces long hours.  Thus those with a demanding schedule may try to offer Tahajjud once a week or once a fortnight, or whenever it's comfortably possible.  And surely even the busiest person can find some time on certain days for Tahajjud.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 03:25:32 am »

wsalam

Appreciate your very practical view point, Sister Zainab.

Verse 11:114 is quite apparently for everyone.  I agree with that.

Furthermore .. let us also focus on Surah 73, Al-Muzzamil. 

"O you wrapped up in your raiment!
Keep vigil the night long, save a little -
Half of it,- or a little less,
Or a little more; and chant the Qur'an in measure.
For we shall charge you with a word of weight.
Indeed, the vigil of the night is (a time) when impression is more keen and speech more certain.
Indeed! you have by day a chain of business.
So remember the name of your Rab and devote thyself with a complete devotion -
Rab of the East and the West; there is no deity except Him; so choose Him alone for your defender - "
[Verses 73:1-9]  Surah Al-Muzzamil.

The above Verses definitely are addressed specifically to the Prophet (pbuh).  Apparently our shaikhs and ulemas have picked the above Verses which are directed to the Prophet (pbuh), but they have overlooked V.11:114 which is generally addressed to all.  Therefore I personally agree that the possibility of Tahajud being obligatory for all is more likely the Quranic Message. If a particular Verse is addressed directly to the Prophet, and another Verse with the same instruction addressed to everyone, then obviously it is for everyone including the Prophet (pbuh).   And Allah knows best. 

However, those readers who aren't able to cope with Tahajjud either because of busy daytime work schedule of weak health need not worry.  Your answer is contained in Sister Zainab's response above.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 04:04:06 am »

Salaams all

Here is another Verse that can be interpreted as directed to the Prophet (pbuh) for Tahajjud prayer

Establish worship at the going down of the sun until the dark of night, and (the recital of) the Qur'an at dawn. Lo! (the recital of) the Qur'an at dawn is ever witnessed.

And some part of the night awake for it, a largess for you. It may be that your Rab will raise thee to a praised estate.

Bani Israel (17:78-79)

However, since a general instruction on Tahajjud prayer is also there as in Verse 11:114, I think the obligatory sense will be more appropriate, though apparently it seems that Tahajjud has been emphasized in the Noble Quran more for the Prophet (pbuh) than the rest.  That's my personal opinion.  Only Allah knows best.

My suggestion to all would be try to offer Tahajjud whenever it's convenient for you to awaken without causing much physical fatigue.  Not to forget, a believer's strong commitment to Allah is itself a source of energy and courage.   

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 04:38:43 am »

Salam Alaikum.  Thank u everyone for clarifying this matter so carefully.  I follow you all. 
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 02:30:11 am »

BismEm

Concerning Tahajjud, the number of verses referred directly to the Prophet (pbuh) are more.  That's why it's being taken as obligatory for the Prophet and optional for the rest.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 04:38:54 pm »

You are right, the number of Verses referred to the Prophet (pbuh) are more though that may not mean that Tahajjud is obligatory only for the Prophet.  In any case, we do know for sure that for everyone Tahajjud carries enormous blessings.

Walaikum salaam. 
Report Spam   Logged

ameen

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 08:50:13 am »

Thanks Cat_prowler for bringing up this topic. I don't agree that the part of Verse 11:114 which says "Establish worship at the two ends of the day .." is a clear reference to Fajr and Isha. The Arabic word used for 'two ends of the day' is 'tha-ra-fa' which means sides / portions / parts of the actual daylight hours (ie. two parts of daytime), so the reference is to Zuhr and Asr which fall in the two divisions of the daylight hours. I see in sr. zeynab's other thread that she agreed with this interpretation of 'two parts of the day' in Verse 20:130 which uses the same Arabic word 'tha-ra-fa' (http://muslimvilla.smfforfree.com/index.php?topic=163.0). The rest of the Verse speaks of performing prayer during some hours of the night, which is the time when we perform Isha prayer, so why can't this part of the Verse be referring to Isha prayer for all Muslims instead of other additional prayers?
Report Spam   Logged
Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 06:06:55 pm »

Thanks for your feedback br. Ameen.  You've presented a good point.  However, I'm not asserting what I mentioned.  It's a possibility that crossed my mind.   Allah knows best, I simply felt that to establish worship "in some watches of the night" better suits the description of Tahajjud prayers.  You're right about sister Zainab's post.  She's taken "two ends of the day" to mean Fajr and Maghrib mostly. 

Anyhow, the most important point is, the Quran does not categorically state anywhere that Tahajjud prayers (or late night prayers) is specifically for the Prophet (pbuh) and no one else.  The Quran also does not plainly state that Tahajjud prayers is obligatory for everyone. But I think it's a matter of common sense that those who voluntarily offer it with love and devotion in addition to the obligatory 5 salaats  benefit their own souls.  Again, this does not mean that those who can't wake up for Tahajjud either because of lack of time, exhaustion, frail health or simply for not being able to manage it should feel guilty for not doing so as long as they have a firm iman and offer their daily five fard salaats.  However, additional worship when performed willingly for the sake of Allah and for the attainment of peace & solace is always a big plus in Allah's sight.  I don't think there can be any arguments about that.   But your point of view on verse 11:114 makes a lot of sense.  Thanks again.  Assalam Alaykum and peace to you .....

Report Spam   Logged

ameen

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 07:18:03 pm »

Allah knows best, I simply felt that to establish worship "in some watches of the night" better suits the description of Tahajjud prayers.

I just want to point out that there is another indication in Verse 11:114 which makes it clear that it's referring to Isha prayers and not to late night Tahajjud prayers. The part translated as 'watches of the night' uses the Arabic word 'za-la-fa' which means 'early hours / earlier portion' of the night and so is not referring to the later part of the night when Tahajjud is usually performed.
Report Spam   Logged
Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 03:16:32 am »

I just want to point out that there is another indication in Verse 11:114 which makes clear that it's referring to Isha prayers and not late nate Tahajjud prayers. The part translated as 'watches of the night' uses the Arabic word 'za-la-fa' which means 'early hours / earlier portion' of the night and so is not referring to the later part of the night when Tahajjud is usually performed.

You could be right.  Verse 11:114 as quoted in my original post may well be referring to Fajr, Maghrib and Isha. 

But the main point I was pondering about that prompted me to put this question was Tahajjud prayers seems to carry a lot more importance than what's presumed by the traditionalists and modernists.  Apart from the one I quoted here and the ones quoted by sister Zainab in the link you gave, there a several other verses in the Quran that clearly mention of Tahajjud prayer as a very special kind of worship.  You can get an idea if you check the following.

"Only those believe in Our revelations who, when they are reminded of them, fall down prostrate and hymn the praise of their Rab, and they are not scornful,
Who forsake their beds to cry unto their Rab in fear and hope, and spend of that We have bestowed on them." (32:15-16)  As-Sajdah

"Indeed, those who keep from evil will dwell amid gardens and watersprings,
Taking that which their Rab gives them; for indeed, aforetime they were doers of good;
They used to sleep but little of the night,
And ere the dawning of each day would seek forgiveness," (51:15-18)  Adh-Dhariyat

"Is he who pays adoration in the watches of the night, prostrate and standing, bewaring of the Hereafter and hoping for the mercy of his Rab, (to be accounted equal with a disbeliever) ? Say (unto them, O Muhammad): Are those who know equal with those who know not ? But only men of understanding will pay heed."  (39:9)  Az-Zumar

Quite obviously these refer to Tahajjud, not Isha.  And also quite apparently, these Verses are not addressed specifically to the Prophet (pbuh) but to all humankind.  There are more similar Verses as well.

Verses such as 17:79, 73:1-4 and 73:20 among many others are surely addressed to the Prophet (pbuh). 

But all Verses concerning Tahajjud (or late night salaat) taken together tells me that this is a very important prayer.  Though it might not be easy to manage in today's kind of hectic routine, yet I think at least one night a month everyone should offer it.  Don't you think so?

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 03:37:06 pm »

Very very interesting contents posted by brother Ameen and sister Heba.  Though it may not be quite mandatory since Allah has said He has not placed any hardships in religion, Tahajjud prayers (or Qiyam al-Lail, as it's often called - a very pretty term indeed) is undoubtedly a carrier of infinite blessings for whoever is able to or desirous of performing this worship. 

And as Allah has said that He has not placed any difficulties in following religion, Tahajjud is not hard to keep up with.  It's just that modern day life has moved away to a very different path in which remembrance of Allah (the most important thing in life) is taken very lightly, most unfortunately.  The materialistic values have drifted life onto such a road that it leaves no margin for worship and neither is it geared up any more to accommodate our spiritual schedule.  It's truly unfortunate beyond limits. 

Yet, I agree that every Muslim should once a while try to find time trying to arrange their schedule in a way that they can offer Tahajjud.  After all, people do keep awake late on weekends chatting with family, watching movies on video, dining out and visiting relatives and friends.  Yet most of them cannot find time for Tahajjud, not even once a year.  That just doesn't sound right to me.

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 10:21:52 am »

Okay folks, the point I was undecided about has been resolved unexpectedly after sister Ruhi came up with a question on Verse 50:40 of Surah Qaf.  It apparently indicates that Tahajjud though very important is not obligatory.

Check it out in the following link:
Prescribed Prostrations - Surah Qaf - Tahajjud

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: