Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 07:45:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Barzakh

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Barzakh  (Read 4913 times)
N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 08:39:44 pm »

...... Also, some have opined that it may refer to the lifespan of every individual (those who have a fairly long life in particular) that they will go through various stages in life ... probably referring to the ups & downs and trials & tribulations of life.    But I think as you said, the reference to the journey of the soul after death is more likely.   And only Allah knows best. 

Right sister.  I have also heard and watched that other explanation.  We can only leave it to Allah Almighty as to which explanation is correct.   

In the following tafsir lecture of Verse 84:19, the Hadithist brother also refers to the different paths of earthly life.   http://tafsir.io/84/19
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 07:10:51 pm »

Correct brother.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 10:56:34 pm »

An article in Arab News has said so many lies about Barzakh.  They say "barzakh" is mentioned three times in the Quran, that it's a place which is neither Jannat nor Jahanum.  But never quote the Verses.  The place which is neither Jannat nor Jahanum is Al-Araf confirmed in the Noble Quran, and the dwellers of Al-Araf will know of their fate on the Day of Judgement as I understand.  Please read Surah Al-Araf (7th Surah) carefully for your own information.

They are referring to the Quranic Verses with the term "barrier" or "partition."

Barzakh' in Verse 23:99-100 refers to dividing line or separation referring to the barrier between this world and the next.  That is, when the soul is taken away by the Command of Allah, that person has to cross the dividing line to go the the next world.  That dividing line is the "barrier" or "partition" because once you cross it, there is no turning back. "Until, when death comes unto one of them, he says:   My Rab!  Send me back, That I may do right in that which I have left behind!  But nay!  It is but a word that he speaks; and behind them is a barrier ('barzakhun') until the day when they are raised."  (23:99-100).   This Verse clearly defines 'barrier' which is obviously not the so-called Barzakh but a separation or partition, and it also conveys the fact that bringing back to life will be on the Day the person is raised.  The term 'barzakhun' is a common noun and not a proper noun referring to a specific place of residence.  

Different words are used for barrier or partition - barzakhun, saddan and hijaban masturan.  

In Verse 36:9 for example, the word 'barrier' (Arabic "saddan") refers to the plight of disbelievers who are barred from acquiring guidance because of their own ill conduct with barriers behind and in front of them.  "We have set-up a barrier in front of and behind them and have made them blind. Thus, they cannot see."

A similar meaning is expressed in Verse 17:45 using the terms "hijaban masturan" or 'hidden barrier.'  "And when you recite the Qur'an we place between you and those who believe not in the Hereafter a hidden barrier;"

Also check Verse 18:94  'They said, “O Dhul-Qarnayn, indeed Gog and Magog are [great] corrupters in the land. So may we assign for you an expenditure that you might make between us and them a barrier ("saddan")?” '  In this Verse the term 'barrier' ('saddan')  refers to a tangible partition or separator. 

Barzakh as a temporary residence where the souls (nafs) rest after leaving this world until Resurrection is from the Hadith.  Since it's not confirmed in the Quran at all, it cannot be accepted as something authentic.  As we know, there are many aspects in the complicated and tainted Hadith literature that were never spoken by our beloved Prophet (pbuh) but merely forged by clerical sectors in his (pbuh) name either to cater to personal interest or for the charm of storytelling. 

Indeed there is a lot to know about what happens to the soul after death until Resurrection, which is knowledge of the unseen known to Allah only.  At most, we can describe barzakh as the realm the soul experiences after departure from earthly world to the next world until resurrection.  But the details of that realm are known to The Almighty and none else.  We only know that after departure from the temporary dunya, our nafs is in the custody of The Almighty.  It's possible some may have the privilege to enter Jannat before Resurrection e.g. martyrs.  It's also possible some may be taken to Jahanum before Resurrection e.g. Pharaoh.   But for the majority the final decision will be on the Day of Judgement after Resurrection.  The Quran makes this ample clear.   Regardless of the length of time between passing from this dunya until Resurrection will seem like a few hours or a day or two when resurrected. 

"And on the day when the Hour riseth the guilty will vow that they did tarry but an hour - thus were they ever deceived."  (30:55)

"On the day when they see that which they are promised (it will seem to them) as though they had tarried but an hour of daylight."  (46:35) 

Actually even among mainstream Muslim scholars of later times, all don't accept Barzakh.  Many just ignore it.  They de-emphasize Barzakh and instead emphasize on a person's individual life and the Day of Judgment in order to adhere to Quranic contents and avoid speculation and guesswork.

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2020, 11:13:30 pm »

Yeah exactly, you've reiterated the truth very comprehensively. 

Arab News, a Qatari based outlet in London, UK, is full of lies.  No matter what it writes, it's filled with hyperbole or outright bluff.  Only meant to appease Westerners, secularists and puppets.  Additionally, its journos are very poorly informed.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2020, 02:13:45 am »

That's a very refreshing wrap-up as response to the complicated stories of Arab News.  I don't know why people find it so hard to adhere to the Quran when Allah Almighty makes it so clear not to speculate and invent unconfirmed ideas about the unseen. 

"Barzakhun" is also found in Verse 55:20, quoting Verses 19 and 20 of Surah 55:

"He released the two seas, meeting [side by side]; There is a barrier (barzakhun) between them. They encroach not (one upon the other)."

Here also, "barzakhun" alludes to separation or barrier or partition between the two kinds of water.  A very different concept from the traditional man written opinion of Barzakh.

As-salaam Alaikum and many thanks Sister Ruhi.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2020, 02:31:12 am »

Walaykum As-salam.   Many thanks sisters Heba and Zeynab. 

Sis Zeynab, I'm glad you added Verses 55:19-20.   The inference here too is a partition or separation of two differing aspects.   Yes, very different from traditional stories.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2021, 06:47:15 am »

Last week discussion on Barzakh came up in our virtual meeting and folks went berserk with hadith after hadith, including the "green bird" tale, completely forgetting every bit of the Noble Quran.  I didn't even attend the entire meeting as it was too full of hadith with all its un-Quranic contents that just did not sit well with me. 

Afterwards I did some more research on this subject.  I discovered that it has permeated into Hadith from the Christian belief of "purgatory" and is actually a result of big confusion by both the altered Bibles and the Hadith arising from the Christian clerics' constant and systematic tampering with their Divine Scripture.  According to altered Christianity, "purgatory" is a place where people go immediately after death, a place for purification or temporary punishment for those who do not have enough sins to warrant their entrance into Hell nor do they have enough good deeds to go to Paradise.  This concept is a bit similar to Al-Araf.  Now you see, the original Bible must have surely contained the same information as the Quran does about Al-Araf.   As the Christians kept altering their Scripture and also producing different versions of it, they made a hash out of every bit of information contained in the original.  The same happened to whatever the original Bible must have contained about Al-Araf or the Heights.  When the Hadith picked this confused and altered information about "purgatory," it further made greater hash out of it by turning it into the concept of Barzakh, and thus, we see differing views of our jurists on this topic wavering far away from the Noble Quran. 

Furthermore, it also could be the insufficient knowledge of Arabic language of Persian hadith compilers because of which they were not able to grasp Verse 23:100 correctly (or maybe they purposely misinterpreted), misunderstanding the barrier or the partition (barzakhun) between this world and the next to be an 'intermediary stage.'   It has been observed beyond doubt that Bukhari & co. had very poor knowledge of Arabic language.

"Until, when death comes unto one of them, he says: My Rab! Send me back,
That I may do right in that which I have left behind! But nay! It is but a word that he speaks; and behind them is a barrier (barzakhun) until the day when they are raised."  23:99-100 Al-Mominun.

Thus one can fathom the utter confusion and mess made by altered Bibles and Hadith.   Some Christians who plainly acknowledge the constant changes that keep coming within the Bibles say that 'purgatory was invented in 13th century.'   Maybe it came in the 13th century, but that invention was a result of centuries of tampering and changing the original information. 

Conclusion:

The Quranic information on Al-Araf (Heights) Surah 7 nor the Quranic term "barzakhun" in Verse 23:100 have anything to do with the traditional hadith idea of barzakh.   Neither is the altered concept of temporary "purgatory" same as Al-Araf.   

In regard to Al-Araf, Allah Almighty does not mention it as temporary nor does He mention it as a place for short-term purification or punishment.    Al-Araf is clearly referred in Surah 7 as a middle-place between Paradise and Hellfire, and it's also conveyed as a permanent place for those neither righteous nor unrighteous.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2021, 07:21:48 am »

O thanks for this addition Sister Ruhi.   This hadn't occurred to me.    Your assessment makes a lot of sense.  That's very thorough work and interesting read.   Alhumdulilah.

Whenever human hands begin hampering with Divine contents, they ruin it with lack of logic and puzzlement.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2021, 07:28:09 am »

Yeah, that's very well perceived.    I think we will take up this topic in our near future meeting too.    Purgatory linked with Barzakh with a chain of mythical distortions.    Hadith and altered Bibles have always been largely two sides of the same coin.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: