Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 04:28:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Coconut macaroon pie

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Coconut macaroon pie  (Read 773 times)
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« on: September 12, 2011, 11:53:22 pm »

BismEm

Ok folks .. here's one of Heba's culinaria Smiley  Cooking from the heart!  Smiley Smiley

Warning !!  This can be addictively delicious if made well.  Ideal for a family dessert or simply an indulgent treat with a cup of evening tea / coffee. 

I already tried it two days ago.  It can comfortably be put in the category of a 'success,' not a 'disaster'  Grin Grin

Now let's get going. 

Ingredients

3 eggs beaten
1 and a half cups of sugar
Half cup unsalted margarine, melted (I'm purposely avoiding butter for a so-called healthier option) Smiley
Milk or half & half, ½ cup or little more
¼ cup plain white flour
1 and 1/3 cups coconut flakes
1 teaspoon vanilla
Pinch of salt
1 unbaked pie crust shell

Preparation:

You can either buy the pie shell from the store or better still, make it at home.  It's really very simple.  All you need is plain flour (or preferably pastry flour), pinch of salt, pinch of sugar and corn oil.  Mix all dry ingredients.  Use as much oil as necessary with 2 dessert spoons of water to make a soft dough.  Spread it on a round aluminium pie dish and keep aside for the filling prepared as follows:

Combine eggs, vanilla, sugar, butter or margarine, flour, pinch of salt and milk.  Mix well.  Then stir in coconut flakes, leaving a little aside for sprinkling.  Mix well.  Pour into the pie shell.  Sprinkle the remaining coconut flakes on top.  Bake at 350 degrees for a minimum of 40 minutes or maximum 1 hour until a knife inserted comes out clean. 

Cool completely before slicing.   When cool, you can decorate the top with chocolate chips or chocolate flakes.  Remember, chocolate and coconut is a great combination.

P.S.  In certain recipes, milk is replaced with lemon juice (2 to 4 teaspoons).  It's upto you whichever you prefer.  I personally prefer using milk.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 01:07:59 am »

Fab!  did u really try this out .. and it was a success?   Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 01:11:02 am »

Yeah sis, I promise I actually made it and it was a success .. no disasters experienced with this one  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 09:20:19 am »

MashAllah and mubarak again  Cheesy  I adore macaroon pies and pastries.  So, now a question about this  Smiley   Will it be ok to use brown sugar instead of white.  I'll tell u why I'm asking.  Close to our home there's a bakery.  It makes such delicious macaroon pastries .. addictive !!   I had been wishing if I only knew how to make that at home cause these bakery ones are pretty costly, almost $2 for a single little pastry.  The pastries are the size of tiny mini pies with a thin crust and filling .. similar to your recipe except that this is a pie.  The filling of those pastries are quite dark, somewhat like the inside of blondies.  And since blondies contains brown sugar, so I thought maybe they use brown sugar for macaroon at that bakery too.  But those folks will never share their recipe for fear for losing their business  Grin   I really want to try out your recipe but only replace white sugar with brown. 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 09:25:16 am »

hummm, good idea.  I should think there's no reason why u couldn't use brown sugar.  Or, you could also mix both .... 1 cup brown sugar and half cup white .. if you don't want the filling to look too dark.  But otherwise I really don't think it should make a difference except that it might taste better  Cheesy  Brown sugar products are generally nicer and more subtly sweet. 
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 09:26:22 am »

Right ,, and do u think the baking time would change?
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 09:32:18 am »

I wouldn't know that for sure but I doubt it.  Why would the baking time be any different?  Baking time might vary from oven to oven rather than the use of brown sugar.  I would suggest that bake it for a minimum of 40 minutes and check after 20 or 25 minutes.   Even if you're using white sugar, after it's baked, like blondies, this too takes long to cool before you can slice and start eating.  Probably, if it's made with brown sugar, the cooling & slicing time might be a bit longer.  But I can't think of any other difference.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 09:39:19 am »

Okay ,, many thanks sis.  InshAllah, I'll work on this and give u guys a feedback  Smiley  Pray for success  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 09:41:24 am »

yeah, InshAllah, I'll pray  Smiley  but don't worry.  If a culinary dummy like me could succeed making this one, you'll do great sis  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 09:42:06 am »

teethsmile
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 08:56:31 pm »

"heba's culinaria" ?  r u running a cooking school sister? 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 09:01:15 pm »

"heba's culinaria" ?  r u running a cooking school sister? 

LaaughingAway

brother, do i sound professional enough to be a cooking teacher?  I'm always asking sisters rose and zeynab to try out a recipe first and if they succeed then only I can muster the guts to experiment it.  That approach doesn't sound confident enough to run a cooking school or does it ? Grin Cheesy Grin
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 09:02:56 pm »

Grin Cheesy Grin 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: