Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 19, 2024, 01:53:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Word Hadith in The Quran

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Word Hadith in The Quran  (Read 3174 times)
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: July 25, 2007, 02:04:59 am »

BismEm

The following article is by Muhammad Wakas.  Though I do not agree with each and everything he writes about Islam, the article below is a very good analysis elucidating the meaning of the term "hadith" as used in the Noble Quraan and how totally different it is from the word "hadith" used today by the clergy.  Please read carefully and reflect.

The Word Hadith in The Quran
By Wakas Mohammed

The following is a list of the occurrence of the word hadith/hadeeth and how its used in The Quran/Koran.

Possible meanings of the word hadith = narrations, sayings, words, speech, opinions, statement, utterance, discourse, account and tale.

There are 26 occurrences of the word hadith in The Quran and they are shown below. Please remember to read the context (surrounding verses) as this is crucial to understanding the actual verse:

On that day those who rejected and disobeyed the messenger will desire that the earth will swallow them; but they cannot hide any hadith from GOD. [4:42]

GOD, there is no god but He. He will gather you for the day of resurrection in which there is no doubt. Who is more truthful in hadith than GOD?. [4:87]

And it has been sent down to you in the book, that if you hear GOD's verses being rejected in and ridiculed in, then do not sit with them until they move on to a different hadith; if not, then you are like them. GOD will gather the hypocrites and the disbelievers in hell all together [4:140]

And if you see those who meddle in Our verses, then turn away from them until they meddle in a different hadith; and if the devil lets you forget, then do not sit after remembering with the wicked people [6:68]

Did they not look at the dominion of heavens and earth, and all that GOD has created?. Perhaps their time is coming near; so in which hadith after this will they have faith? [7:185]

And it is such that your Lord Has chosen you, and He teaches you the interpretation of hadith, and He completes His blessings upon you and upon the family of Jacob, as He completed it for your fathers before that, Abraham and Isaac. your Lord is Knowing, Wise. [12:6]

And the one from Egypt who bought him said to his wife: 'make his stay generous, perhaps he will benefit us or we make take him as a son'. And it was thus that We established Joseph in the land and to teach him the interpretation of hadith. And GOD Has full power over His affairs, but most of mankind do not know. [12:21]

'My Lord, you have given me sovereignty and taught me the interpretations of hadith. Initiator of the heavens and earth, you are my protector in this world and the hereafter. Make me die a Submitter, and join me with the good doers'. [12:101]

In their stories is a lesson for the people of intelligence. It was not a hadith that was invented, but an authentication of what is already present and a detailing of all things, and a guidance and mercy to a people who have faith. [12:111]

Perhaps you will torment yourself in grief over them, because they will not believe in this hadith at all. [18:6]

And did the hadith of Moses come to you? [20:9]

Then We sent Our messengers in succession. Every time there came to a nation their messenger, they denied him. So We made them follow one another, and We made them a hadith. So away with a people who do not believe. [23:44]

And from the people, there are those who accept baseless hadith to mislead from the path of GOD without knowledge, and takes it as entertainment. Those will have a humiliating retribution. [31:6]

But they said: ‘our Lord, make the measure between our journeys longer’, and they wronged themselves. So We made them hadith, and We scattered them into small groups. In this are signs for every person who is patient, thankful. [34:19]

God has sent down the best hadith; a book that is similar in two ways. The skins of those who reverence their Lord shiver from it, then their skins and their hearts soften up to the remembrance of God. Such is God's guidance; He guides with it whoever He wills. And for whomever God misguides, then none can guide him. [39:23]

These are God's revelations that We recite to you with truth. So, in which hadith after God and His revelations do they believe? [45:6]

Has the hadith of Abraham’s noble guests come to you? [51:24]

Let them produce a hadith like this, if they are truthful. [52:34]

Are you questioning this hadith? [53:59]

Are you disregarding this hadith? [56:81]

The prophet had trusted some of his wives with a certain hadith, then one of them spread it, and GOD let him know about it. He then informed his wife of part of the issue, and disregarded part. She said: ‘who informed you of this?’. He said: ‘I was informed by the Knowledgeable, the Expert’. [66:3]

Therefore, let Me deal with those who reject this hadith; We will lead them on whence they never perceive. [68:44]

So in what hadith after this will they believe? [77:50]

Did the hadith of Moses come to you? [79:15]

Has the hadith come to you of the soldiers? [85:17]

Has the hadith come to you of that which will overwhelm? [88:1]

CONCLUSIONS

1) God uses the word hadith to describe The Quran itself, as well as its general meaning.

2) The Quran never uses the word hadith in the way the word is commonly used today (i.e. referring soley to Prophet Muhammad's (pbuh) alleged sayings or hadith books).

Which is understandable as the 6 hadith books were compiled between 180-280 years after Prophet Muhammad's death.  Long after The Quran.

3) In 12:111 God states this hadith (The Quran) is a detailing of all things.

4) There are people who accept basless hadith, according to 31:6.

5) God states that The Quran is the best and most truthful hadith [4:87, 39:23].

And finally... there is only one verse in the entire Quran which mentions the word hadith and the Prophet together in the same verse. It tells us what happened when the Prophet told his wives a hadith:

The Prophet had trusted some of his wives with a certain hadith, then one of them spread it, and GOD let him know about it. He then informed his wife of part of the issue, and disregarded part. She said: ‘who informed you of this?’. He said: ‘I was informed by the Knowledgeable, the Expert’. [66:3]
If the two of you repent to GOD, then your hearts have listened. But if you band together against him, then GOD is his ally, and so is Gabriel and the righteous believers. Also, the angels are his helpers. [66:4]
If he divorces you, his Lord will substitute other wives in your place who are better than you; submissive, believers, obedient, repentant, worshipers, pious, either previously married, or virgins. [66:5]

Please consider what your answer to the questions stated in 7:185, 45:6 & 77:50 are. If you are in doubt as to which answer one should give, please read the verses which follow these two references.

Short summary of the author's view of the hadith books:

None can be considered the literal/direct Word of God, as this is only contained in The Quran.

They do not represent the direct sayings/actions of Prophet Muhammad, but represent his reported sayings/actions by later generations. This is a crucial distinction.

Some information in the hadith books will be correct, but there is no way of telling which parts, unless we use a supreme standard to compare, i.e. The Quran. Similar situation to The Bible (written within 100 years after Jesus's death), some of it is true, but there is no way of telling which parts, unless we use a supreme standard to compare, i.e. The Quran.

No information in the hadith books can be used as a source of law, as The Quran is complete in this respect and needs no supplement.

They may still be used as a source of information to increase our knowledge, like any other book. However, the study of The Quran should be first & foremost, and NOT dependent on any other set of writings.

Personal message from the author:

If you are reading this article and come from a traditional Muslim background (like I did, i.e. Sunni/Shia etc.) you will probably be having doubts about the truthfulness of this article. Therefore, please verify all references for yourself, especially since this is a command from God. There is nothing more powerful than seeing the truth for yourself.

Lets say that there is a slight chance you may accept that as Muslims we should not follow the hadith books as a source of law... then you may ask yourself how can so many Muslims be misguided? It's not possible... or is it?

Have you forgotten about the Christians?  As Muslims, we believe that Jesus son of Mary taught the same message as all prophets, i.e. belief in one God, NOT trinity, NOR that he was the son of God.   But using the same logic, can you say that this cannot be true because because there are over 1.5 billion Christians who think otherwise and so many people cannot be misguided ?  NO, you cannot say that at all.  Just because many people follow it, doesn't make it true.  The Almighty God has stated the truth about this matter in the Quran, that Jesus son of Mary was only a messenger and slave of God, and calling him the son of God is an enormous sin.  Therefore, no matter how many Christians believe otherwise, we do not pay heed to that.  We pay heed only to what the Quran says. 

During my study of The Quran, I was amazed to see that The Quran itself states that most of the people on earth are misguided/idolaters/disbelievers. And thats not all, most of those who think they believe in God actually associate partners with God in some way or the other.   

Sure, this might seem like a radical view... you may be thinking I've never heard of this before... it must be a new thing? Is it?  Have you researched this?  I have, and you'll be surprised to know that my views were held by the early followers of Islam.  Still dont believe me?  Go on... verify it... what have you got to lose if you know you are right?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 02:35:35 am »

Alhamdulilah and MaashAllah.  A wonderfully analysed piece.  The hadithers keep saying all the time that "hadith" is mentioned in the Quran.  I am sure most of them understand and know what the author of this article has explained.  But they purposely misinterpret by making it seem that the Quran meant the present-day hadith as used by the Muslims 'ulemas' nowadays.  This article is a very comprehensive clarification.  I particularly appreciate the analogy of majority of the Christians' belief of Jesus (son of Mary, may Allah be pleased with both of them) and the belief of present Muslims in hadith. 

Thanks for this posting sister zeynab.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 12:59:23 am »

Very good one .. thanks zeynab!

Some information in the hadith books will be correct, but there is no way of telling which parts, unless we use a supreme standard to compare, i.e. The Quran . .......
They may still be used as a source of information to increase our knowledge, like any other book. However, the study of The Quran should be first & foremost, and NOT dependent on any other set of writings.

Well, I would caution people to take hadith books "as a source of info to increase knowledge."  Every hadith collection contains hundreds of ahadith.  Out of every 100 hadith, on the average 10% make sense, the rest don't.  Having said that, only the cherry-picked ones can be taken to increase knowledge.  Let's not forget - the hadith has very little (or no) compatibility with the Quran.  The bad ahadith can be a source of great misguidance.  One really needs to be very careful.  I think, before one starts reading the hadith narration books, knowing the tainted history of the hadith literature itself is very important.  Otherwise one could get swayed to the wrong track, far away from the Quran.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: