Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
April 19, 2024, 04:31:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Prayer: Gift From Allah - Why do we Pray?

+-
Shoutbox
April 02, 2024, 07:27:22 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Details on Leila tul Qadr every Ramadan, links HERE.
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer: Gift From Allah - Why do we Pray?  (Read 185 times)
N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

Badges: (View All)
« on: August 14, 2007, 06:15:25 pm »

By Sameh Strauch
Islamonline.Net

Prayer: Gift From Allah - Why do we Pray?

After a long and hectic day at work, how difficult it is for a tired person to go out to the mosque and concentrate on his prayers to Allah, the Almighty? Snuggled up in a warm and cozy bed, how difficult it is to get up at the call of the muezzin: “Come to prayer! Come to success!”

The famous doctor and philosopher Ibn Sina (Avicenna) recalls such a moment in his life. One cold and icy night, he and his slave were resting at an inn in a remote part of Khuraasaan. During the night he felt thirsty, so he asked his slave to bring him some water. The slave had no desire to leave his warm bed, so he pretended not to hear Ibn Sina’s call. Finally after repeated calls, he reluctantly got up and went to fetch the water. A little while later, the melodious sound of the Adhan (call to prayer) filled the air. Ibn Sina began to think about the person calling the people to Prayer. “My slave, `Abdullah,” he mused, “has always respected me and admired me. He seizes any opportunity to lavish praise and affection on me, but tonight he preferred his own comfort to my needs. On the other hand, look at this Persian slave of Allah: He left his warm bed to go out into the chilly night. He made ablution in the icy water of the stream, and then he ascended the high minaret of the mosque to glorify Him Whom he truly serves: “I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except Allah. I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah.” Ibn Sina records: “I learned the essence of true love. Love results in complete obedience.” The love of Allah demands total and unconditional obedience. Allah, the Almighty says: "Say, (O Muhammad, to mankind): If ye love Allah, follow me; Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. Allah is Forgiving, Merciful."  (3:31)  Surah Al-Imran

Prayer: A Cry of the Inner Soul

Arrogance and pride have often led man to behave as an oppressor and a tyrant. Some men have been carried away by their own self-importance to the extent that they have even claimed divinity. Pharoah, the ruler of Egypt, was among those who announced: “I am your supreme Lord!” With his sense of greatness and pride, Pharoah subjugated the Israelites and made their lives wretched and miserable.

But is man really as strong and great as his ego tells him? The Qur’an tells us the reality of man’s nature:
"Allah is He Who shaped you out of weakness, then appointed after weakness strength, then, after strength, appointed weakness and grey hair. He createth what He will. He is the Knower, the Mighty."  (30:54)  Surah Ar-Rum

Weakness in the beginning and weakness in the end. This is the essence of man. He is so weak and helpless at birth that his entire existence depends on his parents and family. If he were to be abandoned in these first crucial years, he could not survive on his own. He needs a gentle and loving hand, not only in his infancy, but in his childhood and even in his teenage years. As this child enters the years of youth and growing independence, he begins to take control of his own life. He looks with pride at his strong physique, handsome features and many talents. He begins to despise those of lesser abilities. He may even scorn his parents who exhausted their own health to nurture him. He becomes unjust and cruel, using his strength and vigor to dominate others. He thinks he is a master and free to act as he wills. But does this phase of youth with these good looks last forever? In only a few decades, he begins to lose his strength and his youth is replaced with old age. Weakness in the beginning, weakness in the end.” The message is clear. The real master is Allah. He Alone is mighty and He alone is Great. He alone is never tired, never needs rest, and is never dependent upon anyone. Allahu Akbar! - Allah is the Greatest! In our everyday lives we say a warm thank you for the small acts of kindness which others do for us. So what about thanking Allah, who, in His infinite mercy provides for every single one of our needs. Just observe the beauty and perfection of the earth around you and fall down in gratitude to your Lord.

A daily practice of prayer, if offered attentively which one should, greatly supports and strengthens our Faith.  It's a constant reminder to our conscience of the importance of implementing the ethical values commanded by Allah into our daily lives for the love of Allah and the love of our fellow human beings.

Allah says, concerning the plight of the disbelievers on the Day of Judgment that they will be asked by the believers:  "What hath brought you to this burning ?  They will answer: We were not of those who prayed  Nor did we feed the wretched.  We used to wade (in vain dispute) with (all) waders,  And we used to deny the Day of Judgment,  Till the Inevitable came unto us.  The mediation of no mediators will avail them then.  Why now turn they away from the Admonishment,"  (74:42-49) Surah Al-Mudatthir    Allah also says: "Successful indeed are the believers  Who are humble in their prayers,"  (23:1-2) Surah Al-Muminun and  "And those who are attentive at their worship. These will dwell in Gardens, honoured." (70:34-35) Surah Al-Marrij

Man is to live in this world as a worshipper of Allah and Prayer is the best form of worship. On the Day of Judgment, man will have to answer for his deeds. Allah says: "Then, on that day, ye will be asked concerning pleasure."  (102:8)  Surah At-Takkaathur   The Almighty Allah also says  "I created the jinn and humankind only that they might worship Me."  (51:56) Surah Ad-Dhariyat

Edited slightly.  Portions from Hadith and some of the author's tafsirs that are not authorised as per the Quran have been omitted. 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 01:51:44 am »

Cool and refreshing!  pretty decent article .. and I guess that's greatly becoz of your editions  Smiley  I'm glad you did that brother.  Otherwise it's hard to find an IOL piece that runs smooth in total conformity with the Quran from start to finish.

Wa'Salaam and peace
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: