Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 05:44:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Hadith gives totally WRONG interpretations of the Quraan

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hadith gives totally WRONG interpretations of the Quraan  (Read 2916 times)
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: August 19, 2007, 09:54:46 am »

BismEm

Taken from Section 5 of Muhammed Abdel Maliks 'Implications of Hadith for Islam'

One of the commonest beliefs of Hadith adherents is that Hadith is essential in order to understand the Qur'an. This is misleading on many grounds.  Hadith talks very little about the Quran and when it does, its interpretations of the Quran are all completely incorrect.

Firstly, the number of verses covered by Bukhari are insignificant compared to the total number of Qur'anic verses. Therefore, if this assertion were correct, how then would we understand and follow the other verses not explained by Bukhari?  Not to mention, the Noble Quran is perfectly clear and complete and is not dependent on Bukhari nor any human narrations / writings for its explanation.

Secondly, the explanations put forward are absurd.  For example, some incident or a story is narrated in hadith about an occurrence which – according to Bukhari – resulted in the particular Qur'anic verse being revealed.  But in most cases that hadith incident or story narrated as an explanation is preposterous and one often gets the impression that the revelation of Verses was a haphazard affair, owing more to mere accident or whim, than to the Will of Allah. The following Qur'anic verses and their hadith 'explanation' illustrate this point.

"Establish worship at the two ends of the day and in some watches of the night. Lo! good deeds annul ill-deeds. This is reminder for the mindful."  (11:114) Surah Hud

Bukhari (ref: 6.209), narrated Ibn Masud:
A man kissed a woman and then came to Allah's Messenger and told him that.  So this Divine Inspiration was revealed to the Prophet:
(11:114) And offer prayers perfectly at the two ends of the day, and in some hours of the night. Verily the good deeds remove the evil deeds (small sins). This is reminder for the mindful.
The man said, "Is this information for me only?" The Prophet said, "It is for all those of my followers who encounter a similar situation."

This hadith explanation has NOTHING to do with verse 11:114 of the Quran.  This verse belongs to Surah Hud and there's no mention nor hint of any such incidents as narrated in the above hadith.  The readers can check it themselves.

Bukhari (Ref: 6.203) Narrated Muhammad bin 'Abbad bin Ja'far that he heard Ibn 'Abbas reciting from the Qur'an:
(11:5) "No doubt! They fold up their breasts."
and asked him about its explanation. He said "Some people used to hide themselves while answering the call of nature in an open space lest they be exposed to the sky, and also when they had sexual relations with their wives in an open space lest they be exposed to the sky, so the above revelation was sent down regarding them."

Verse 11:5 of the Noble Quran is so beautiful, and surely one can observe how Bukhari has spoilt it by writing such a wrong and ugly interpretation.  The complete verse 11:5 is quoted below.  I am also quoting a few verses that precede and follow verse 11:5 for a better understanding.  Please read.

"1. Alif. Lam. Ra. (This is) a Scripture the revelations whereof are perfected and then expounded. (It cometh) from One Wise, Informed,
2. (Saying): Serve none but Allah. Lo! I am unto you from Him a warner and a bringer of good tidings.
3. And (bidding you): Ask pardon of your Lord and turn to Him repentant. He will cause you to enjoy a fair estate until a time appointed. He giveth His bounty unto every bountiful one. But if ye turn away, lo! (then) I fear for you the retribution of an awful Day.
4. Unto Allah is your return, and He is Able to do all things.
5. Lo! now they fold up their breasts that they may hide (their thoughts) from Him. At the very moment when they cover themselves with their clothing, Allah knoweth that which they keep hidden and that which they proclaim. Lo! He is Aware of what is in the breasts (of men).
6. And there is not a beast in the earth but the sustenance thereof dependeth on Allah. He knoweth its habitation and its repository. All is in a clear Record."
(11:1-6) Surah Hud

Islam, from the very beginning directed people to cultivate science.  The application of this precept brought with it the prodigious strides in science during the great era of Islamic civilisation, from which the West, too, benefited hugely – although its literature almost entirely ignores the fact. Today, thanks to scientific knowledge, great progress has been made in the interpretation of many previously misunderstood verses in the Qur'an. Verse 36:38 (Surah Ya-Sin) is a prime example.

The Qur'an gives an end to the sun's evolution and a destination place. Modern astronomy has been able to locate it exactly and has called it the Solar Apex. The verse translated by Dr Bucaille is as follows:

"The Sun runs its course to a settled place. This is the decree of the Almighty, the Full of Knowledge." (36:38)

Note that the words 'settled place' is the translation of the Arabic 'mustaqarr.'

And below is Pickthall's translation
"And the sun runneth on unto a resting-place for him. That is the measuring of the Mighty, the Wise."
(36:38)

Now contrast this with the supposedly reported interpretation of the verse by the Prophet as quoted by Bukhari.

Bukhari (ref: 4.421), narrated Abu Dhar:
The Prophet asked me at sunset, "Do you know where the sun goes (at the time of sunset)?" I replied, "Allah and His Apostle know better."
He said, "It goes (i.e. travels) till it prostrates itself underneath the Throne, and takes the permission to rise again, and it is permitted and then (a time will come when) it will be about to prostrate itself but its prostration will not be accepted, and it will ask permission to go on its course, but it will not be permitted, but it will be ordered to return whence it has come and so it will rise in the west. And that is the interpretation of the statement of Allah."

Clearly, such an interpretation is laughable given even a rudimentary knowledge of the movements of the sun and earth.  Such unscientific assertions are nowhere to be found in the Qur'an.  However, they liberally pepper the Hadith literature.

Edited slightly by elaborating certain points

Also please check the post DOES HADITH EXPLAIN THE QURAAN? for more information
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 01:33:33 am »

Very correctly elucidated by the author.  None of these ahadith have anything to do with explaining those Quranic verses.  Actually this is a well known fact that the hadith institution has not been able to understand the Quran at all.  There's another very bizarre one out of Bukhari's pen where he refers to 'Kausar' as a fount in Jannah.  This is supposed to be Bukhari's interpretation of Surah Al-Kausar.  I've read Surah Al-Kausar (Chapter 108 of the Quran) umpteens of times, trying to follow every word of it.  I don't see how or why anyone should presume that "kausar" is meant to be a fount in Jannah.  The word "kausar" refers to "abundance" in the Noble Quran.  Surah Al-Kausar was revealed to the Prophet in reply to the taunts by the people of Qureysh, where Allah comforts the Prophet by saying that He has already bestowed a lot upon the Prophet and it's his insulters who are insignificant.

1. Lo! We have given thee Abundance;
2. So pray unto thy Lord, and sacrifice.
3. Lo! it is thy insulter (and not thou) who is without posterity.
(Surah Al-Kausar 1-3)

Actually, even the hadith adherents are very well aware that hadith does not explain correctly even a single verse of the Quran.  It's just that they're too stubborn to admit it, which is a different matter.

Assalaam Alaikum and thanks zeynab.  Great post!   
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 05:07:18 pm »

I think it's about time for the Muslim world to face it.  That standard title worded "The interpretation of the Quran by Hadith" must be changed into "The misinterpretation of the Quran by Hadith."
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 03:26:31 am »

Sister Heba, yes what you've quoted is yet another perfect example of Hadith misinterpretations of the Quraan.

And sis rose,, that comment was indeed most appropriate
Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

AceOfHearts

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 11:33:51 pm »

Sister Zeynab, thank you for posting this article.

Hadith has totally taken people away from the true interpretations of the Qur'an. A fact indeed.

Alhamdulillah. May Allah keep you going...It is people like yourselves who give me so much upliftment, just knowing that someone has understood like me the true nature of Allah's Qur'an gives me strength.

Allah keep you well my dear sister. Peace to you.
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 12:49:04 am »

Salaam Alaikum and thank you my brother.  Yes, Hadith has completely taken people away from the Faith that Allah wants us to follow.  I too take inspiration from ones like yourself because you're so correctly focused on the right aspect of Islam.  As I have perceived much, both online and offline, there maybe more Muslims than we think who feel the same way as us about the interpolations en masse, but are unwilling to speak for fear of a fallout with their folks on grounds of misunderstandings.  In fact, misunderstanding gets the better of many of them which makes them turn away.  For that reason, I try my best to clarify one of the very important aspects that our critisizm of Hadith is NOT a critisizm of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), rather it's to protect him from the falsehoods and negative creativity of the human mind.  This is an inherently stubborn characteristic of the human temperament that whenever a famous person passes away, the influential ones of the coming generations start making stories in the name of that well-known person to serve their own interest.  I just pray that some day those brothers and sisters of ours who are more rational will grasp this aspect.  Once this begins to happen, they will InshAllah, also grasp the courage to speak up for the truth.  This is the only way they can return to the Glorious Quraan, when they realize that the only Hadith of the Prophet is the Glorious Quraan and none else.  Even though the Prophet (pbuh) was known to be a man with immense humility and patience, yet I can imagine his furious reaction if anyone told him in his lifetime about keeping a man-written book alongside the Quraan some 200 years down the future.  

I have put up many posts here detailing this concept.  But there's one post on this subject written by Kassim Ahmed, a Malaysian academic, which is quite a masterpiece and which I advise everyone to read.  It's the 5th and last chapter of his book "Hadith: A Re-evaluation" and this 5th chapter is titled "Return to Prophet Muhammad's Original Teachings."   I've also put up the same in the Islamic Issues board by separating it into sections of Parts 1, 2, 3 and 4.  If you get the time to go through it in your own good time, I think you'll love it.

I've also realized that if we want to call people to the Quraan, we have to face the matter squarely.  Since Hadith has been instrumental is deviating people from the Quraan, therefore downplaying this obstacle won't help us to bring back the Quraan into the limelight.
Report Spam   Logged

AceOfHearts

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 11:01:42 pm »

Salaam Alaikum and thank you my brother.  Yes, Hadith has completely taken people away from the Faith that Allah wants us to follow.  I too take inspiration from ones like yourself because you're so correctly focused on the right aspect of Islam.  As I have perceived much, both online and offline, there maybe more Muslims than we think who feel the same way as us about the interpolations en masse, but are unwilling to speak for fear of a fallout with their folks on grounds of misunderstandings.  In fact, misunderstanding gets the better of many of them which makes them turn away.  

Thank you for your response sister. Yes, there are people who remain indifferent. However, as you will agree, this is only due to a lack of sincerity. Because if they had true sincerity, they would have gone beyond their current state and discovered Allah's guidance. Sometimes people like the idea of Qur'an alone because life seems easier and they dont like the nasty bits in Hadith. However, this approach is not entirely sincere as the primary reason to follow the Qur'an alone has to be one's desire to be a due servent of Allah and out of love for Allah, and ofcourse the other reasons fall in place. 

I think I read part of the book much earlier. But for some reason, I cant seem to recall what the bits Ive read in the thread...so I will read it inshaAllah when I find some time. It certainly does look very interesting. If I am correct in my recalling, his book is banned in Malaysia.

I've also realized that if we want to call people to the Quraan, we have to face the matter squarely.  Since Hadith has been instrumental is deviating people from the Quraan, therefore downplaying this obstacle won't help us to bring back the Quraan into the limelight.

I agree with what you are sayinig. It is very important to address this obstacle. When I try to explain to a traditionalist religious concept however, I always try to start with something that we can agree on which is from the Qur'an. The approach I take is that the intention is to obey Allah better, it is not to simply reject hadith (they are as you know, very scared of being an outcast). Therefore, when the hadith issue comes up as it inevetible will, we are not accepting it because our duty is to serve Allah correctly who is commanding us in the Qur'an. The goal is find the most effective way to communicate the message of the Qur'an. However the lack of role of hadith in following the Qur'an will have to be grasped sooner or later to become a true believer who has Allah's approval and mercy.

Take care Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 03:52:37 am »

Sometimes people like the idea of Qur'an alone because life seems easier and they dont like the nasty bits in Hadith. However, this approach is not entirely sincere as the primary reason to follow the Qur'an alone has to be one's desire to be a due servent of Allah and out of love for Allah, and ofcourse the other reasons fall in place. 

Absolutely right ..

If I am correct in my recalling, his book is banned in Malaysia.

Yes brother, I also heard it was banned.  That could very well be true.  Any writing that glorifies Allah Almighty and His final Message, defends His final Messenger from false defamations and upholds the Truth is seen as a violation by the new brand of so-called believers of today.

I agree with what you are sayinig. It is very important to address this obstacle. When I try to explain to a traditionalist religious concept however, I always try to start with something that we can agree on which is from the Qur'an. The approach I take is that the intention is to obey Allah better, it is not to simply reject hadith (they are as you know, very scared of being an outcast).

That's a very correct approach brother.  I've also tried precisely this method many a times.  But what has invariably happened is that most of these people have never read the Quraan.  They've only heard a few verses being quoted by the imams along with tons of Hadiths.  Those few who've read the Quraan have probably raced through it like a parrot sometime in the past without understanding a word. So, they really know nothing about it.  As a result, when I start talking to them about the importance of the Quraan, they have no other substance to present for supporting the importance of the Quraan other than tying it up with the Hadith. As a result of that, they keep babbling the Hadith theories one after another that have no connection with the Quraan.  So, my talk on the Noble Quraan gets over-shadowed by the notorious Hadith.  I feel I've been trapped and unable to dodge the very thing I intended to bush aside.  That's the reason I felt that if I want to promote the Quraan, I have to be politely upfront and clarify before I proceed that Hadith is NOT my piece of cake.  Of course, this makes me an 'outcast' in their eyes from the start .. but, so be it.  I'm helpless to change that Sad

Therefore, when the hadith issue comes up as it inevetible will, we are not accepting it because our duty is to serve Allah correctly who is commanding us in the Qur'an. The goal is find the most effective way to communicate the message of the Qur'an.

Yes, I totally agree.  I've always maintained two prime reasons for eradicating the culture of Hadith - (1) Allah Almighty has told us not to consult any other book for guidance except the Noble Quraan and for this reason the Prophet (pbuh) confiscated and destroyed many hadiths during his lifetime, and whatever remained were similarly destroyed by Abu Bakr and Umar bin Khattab. (2) Since about 80% of Hadiths starkly contradict the Noble Quraan, therefore such Hadiths cannot even be accepted as a part of Arabic literature.  That's because no piece of writing that contradicts the Quraan can ever be considered acceptable by a Muslim.  Moreover, what makes it even worse, these contradictions are falsely dumped on the Prophet.

In my conversations with Hadithers, I've found that they don't have a problem admitting that the Quraan comes first (even though they know nothing about the Quraan).  But what they stubbornly refuse to accept is no matter how bad or contradictory a Hadith is, they will not admit its obnoxious contents and they refuse to acknowledge that such an act is a mockery of the Quraan and the Prophet.  It is on the basis of this view that they've constantly twisted my writings and equated rejection of Hadith with rejection of the Prophet.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Needless to say, my intent is just the opposite.  After accepting and upholding the Noble Quraan as the sole Book of guidance, rejecting the contradictions in the Hadith becomes necessary for defending the truth of the Quraan and the honesty of the Prophet.

However the lack of role of hadith in following the Qur'an will have to be grasped sooner or later to become a true believer who has Allah's approval and mercy.

Exactly brother.  Unless the scourge of Hadith is not erased, the Religion of Allah, as He has sent to us in the Noble Quraan, will not be revived.   It seems to me that Allah Almighty will continue testing the people of this planet for sometime (which to us would seem a long time) and then bring the final Doom, when all His messengers and all His original Scriptures, particularly the Great Quraan which will remain original till the Last Day, will be witnesses against each such individual who flouted His Message in preference to human dictates. 

May Allah continue to grant us insight and brighten our path with His Light so that we stay away from the ignorant who've paved their own path towards the final Doom.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: