Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 29, 2024, 10:28:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Carving out time for God

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Carving out time for God  (Read 294 times)
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« on: September 20, 2007, 07:05:38 pm »

By Asma MobinUddin

(A Ramadan article - Sept. 2007)

Busy with the worldly demands of our hectic lives, many of us leave the deepest needs of the human heart unattended. For Muslims, the holy month of Ramadan, which began this year Sept. 13, is a time to subjugate the needs of the body to tend to the needs of the heart.

During Ramadan, the call of the heart and its longing for connection with God take precedence.

Every year before Ramadan starts, I am filled with anticipation, hope and usually some apprehension. I wonder if I will be able to meet the demands of the daily fast. Abstinence from all food and drink — even water — is required during daylight hours. Even in a state of hunger and fatigue, a fasting person must do his or her best to be patient, avoid harshness with anyone, show compassion and mercy to others, give of time and wealth in charity and avoid any falsehood or bad deed.

Yet each year, I quickly realize that the greatest challenges of this month lie not in the physical abstinence but in the struggle to improve my character.

Muslims believe that during Ramadan, God provides tremendous support, love, mercy and forgiveness for those struggling to attain piety and nearness to him.

What I cherish most about Ramadan are the opportunities for quiet moments in solitude with God. The stillness of the morning before dawn provides a perfect setting for communication with God. In a silence far removed from the frenzied pace of the day, with intimacy, I pour out my soul’s thoughts to God. In those moments of devotion, I deeply sense God’s love and compassion.

Another part I love about this sacred month are the “taraweeh” prayers held at the mosque every evening. During these prayers (held only in Ramadan), the Qur’an is usually recited in its entirety over the course of the month.

I remember the nights when I would attend taraweeh prayers regularly. Now that my children are at an age when sitting quietly is a near impossibility, family responsibilities often keep me from spending the evening hours at the mosque. When I long for those nights of worship in prayer, I remind myself of Islam’s teaching that the work of everyday living, when done with sincerity and good intentions, is also worship of God.

Ramadan is a month of gratitude. Muslims observe Ramadan out of gratitude for God’s guidance as he began to reveal the Qur’an to humanity during this month. Nothing can quite describe the gratitude one feels for God’s blessings as we take the first sips of water and break our fast in the evening. Whatever we eat tastes delicious. The ability to satisfy our hunger is so precious, and we are reminded that we usually take God’s bounties for granted. Our empathy for those whom hunger is not a choice is also heightened at this time, which helps us to be more generous.

Ramadan offers so much to those who observe it. During this time, the soul’s yearning for the Divine and its need for intimacy with God take precedence. The hope is that one’s relationship with God will be better the day after Ramadan than it was before the month began.

A common reminder given from the pulpits in the final days of this blessed month is that the Lord we worship during Ramadan is the same one that presides over the month afterward. The spiritual advancement attained during the hardship of the fast should not be forgotten as the new month begins.

The intimacy, hope, forgiveness, renewal and purification experienced during Ramadan is the starting place of our spiritual journey for the rest of the year.

Asma Mobin-Uddin is the board chairwoman for the Ohio chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR).
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 07:30:11 pm »

Very good article.  I was just wondering if Taravi prayers is 'fard.'  In any case, needless to say, to finish reading the Quran throughout the month of Ramadan is a great idea.  But in most mosques they read the Quran so fast during Taravi, at the speed of a concorde plane.  This is not a good practice.  No one understands such fast recitations, I am sure even Arabic speaking wouldn't understand it.  Most importantly, it amounts to a gesture of disrespect to the Quran.  Personally I think that instead of making it compulsory to finish one para of the Quran everyday at that very very fast speed, it's a lot more commendable to read less than a para .. however much possible, that can be read slowly with explanations so that people understand what's being recited and read.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: