Until what time can one eat for 'sahoor' (or sehri)

<< < (2/5) > >>

Ruhi_Rose:
Many thanks sisters.  Absolutely clear.  Sorry for not acknowledging earlier as my participation in the other thread of the same topic somehow made me think that I've already responded here. 

Heba E. Husseyn:
You're welcomed Sis Zeynab.

Regarding Verse 2:187 Pickthall wrote an interesting comment which I read in my copy of his English translation at the notes section.  In early days of Islam during the era of the Prophet (pbuh), quoting Pickthall: 

Quote --
"Muslims used to fast from evening meal of one day to evening meal of the next.  If they fell asleep before taking their meal, they would consider it their duty to abstain from it, with the result many of them fainted and came near to death"
Unquote --

Apparently what this means is that if they overslept and woke up to realize that it was too late for their evening meal (Iftar) and very little time left to finish Sahoor, they continued their next fast on empty stomach.  Understandably this practice made many folks unwell and many collapsed in serious condition.  Today our jurists are pushing on similar lines albeit to a lesser extent of course.  Summer gap between Iftar and Sahoor in America and Europe is between 5 to 6 hours, depending on where you are located.  If you hurry Sahoor by almost 2 hours, you bring it so close to the Iftar of the previous evening that it nearly amounts to fasting from one Iftar to the next.

Zainab_M:
That's interesting indeed.  Doesn't sound too different from what our jurists are imposing at present.

Quote from: Heba E. Husseyn on June 12, 2016, 12:00:06 pm

....... Summer gap between Iftar and Sahoor in America and Europe is between 5 to 6 hours, depending on where you are located.  If you hurry Sahoor by almost 2 hours, you bring it so close to the Iftar of the previous evening that it nearly amounts to fasting from one Iftar to the next.

Exactly, that happens with a lot of people.  That's why many only drink water for Sahoor during summer fasts because they're just not hungry to eat Sahoor so shortly after Iftar.  If Sahoor time was decided until 4 or 4.15 a.m. (which they could have decided upon), one could grab a quick snack. 

Heba E. Husseyn:
Yeah, correct ........

Ruhi_Rose:
Very good info Sis Heba.  Thus, in V.2:187 Allah clarified to Muslims so that they observe the right timings otherwise they will only make it hard for themselves.

My husband and I are very disturbed by our jurists hampering with Fajr timings as it clearly clashes with V.2:187. My husband is of the view that in the present season, Fajr is definitely until 4.25 a.m. earliest.  That's when "the white" of dawn begins to get distinct.  We too checked it by looking out of the window.  Our apartment being located on a highrise, we get a very clear view.  At 4.30 a.m. you can see a slight, very slight, orange hue along the horizon.  Even if you eat until this time or until 5 to 10 minutes beyond is okay.  But on the safe side can keep it until 4.25 a.m.  Accordingly keep adjusting it as Fajr time keeps moving ahead until June 21st. Also continue to adjust when Fajr time starts moving back.  The point is that the time difference between the one mentioned in the prayer calendar and the actual appearance of the white thread in the atmosphere is approximately 40 minutes.  Keep adjusting with 40 or 45 minutes to whatever time stated in the calendar at different seasons.  In peak winter seasons the difference maybe still more.  Will check it when winter comes, InshAllah.

V.2:187 is very explicit, no confusion at all.  The Verse refers to "the white" (referring to the white thread of dawn) as "al-abyadu."  It refers to "the black" (referring to darkness of night) as "al-aswadi."   Today my husband had sahoor until 4.25.  I think I'll do the same from tomorrow InshAllah.  It's much more in accordance with the Quran than their timings, and anything in accordance with the Quran is not only more essential but always far easier. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page