Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 08:37:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Muslim women are permitted to sing in public according to the Qur'an.

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Muslim women are permitted to sing in public according to the Qur'an.  (Read 1436 times)
AceOfHearts

Badges: (View All)
« on: October 08, 2007, 11:54:06 am »

Muslim women are permitted to sing in public according to the Qur'an.

In the field of nasheeds, a depressing scene is observed where women have been suppressed from singing publically using unfounded excuses, allegedly based on the Qur'an.

These people who seek to silence women base what they say by twisiting a Qur'anic Verse, which will be explained correctly here, inshallah.

The Qur'anic Verse which is often quoted and misunderstood is 33:32. People hide the fact that this Verse is EXCLUSIVELY for the wives of the Prophet:

"Oh wives of the prophet, you are not like any other women. If you are righteous, then do not speak too softly, lest those with disease in their hearts will move with desire; you shall speak in an honourable manner." [Qur'an 33:32]

People, or men rather, intentionally misinterpret this Verse to mean all women in a quest to keep women under the blanket of darkness so that they may live life in their own terms, in a "fithnah-less" society, "fithnah" meaning any hint of women.

Notice that the Verse makes clear that:

1) the Verse is addressed ONLY to the wives of the Prophet: "Oh Wives of the prophet..."

2) and also the wives of the Prophet are NOT like any other women, ie. any other women can NEVER be like the wives of the Prophet: "You are not like any other women...".

This means the Verse does not extend to anybody else by the slightest of imagination.
Therefore, the Verse is applicable ONLY to the wives of the Prophet and does not extend to other believers. In the Qur'an, the wives of the Prophet occupy an exclusive status and they can never be compared with other believing women. This is shown by other Verses which speak exclusively to them:

1) They are like the "mothers of the believers", but ordinary believing women are not like "mothers of the believers" (33:6), this title gives them a unique status.

2) Believing men shall speak to the wives of the Prophet from behind a curtain, but this is not required when speaking to ordinary believing women (33:53).

3) Ordinary believing men are not allowed to EVER marry the wives of the Prophet (33:53), such is their special status.

4) If any of the Prophet's wives were to commit an act of indecency, the punishment for them is double to that for ordinary believing women (33:30).

The above clearly tells us of the unique status of the wives of the Prophet. Likewise, the Verse 33:32 is refering to ONLY the wives of the Prophet, and this is made VERY clear in the Verse it self. It cannot be used to mean all women. Let us read it once more:

"O wives of the prophet, you are not like any other women. If you are righteous, then do not speak too softly, lest those with disease in their hearts will move with desire; you shall speak in an honourable manner." [Qur'an 33:32]

When the Qur'an wishes to address ordinary believing women, it addresses them as "believing women" eg. "And tell the believing women..." (24:31). Or in the following Verse, the women to be addressed have been clearly identified: "O prophet, tell your wives, your daughters, and the wives of the believers..." (33:59). In short, Allah carefully makes it clear to whom He is addressing what, and we must not muddle them up to suite personal wishes. When He wishes to address the wives of the Prophet, He does so clearly, when He wishes to address ordinary believing women, He does this clearly too.

It should be abundently clear that Verse 33:32 cannot be used to stop Muslim women from singing or reciting the Qur'an in public.

A prominant Muslim Scholar of today, Yusuf al-Qaradawi has acknowledged that Muslim women can sing publically, see here: http://angryarab.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_archive.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 05:58:15 pm »

Excellent logic and analysis, totally in conformity with the Noble Quraan.  These are just the kind of articles and posts I'm always so eager to read for promoting my knowldege & understanding of our great Faith.

I want to post this work of yours in the forum of Islamonline.net. and would like to take your permission for that.  Of course I won't post your ID.  I'll just quote it with the words "by an enlightened brother."
I will post the link in this thread so everyone here can keep checking that IOL thread. 

IOL is basically a traditional sunni forum (as they would call it) but is a bit more tolerant than the rest where one can speak one's mind respectfully & rationally without the posts being constantly deleted.

Thanks for this great job brother!  JazekAllah Khair, Salaam Alaikum and peace.
Report Spam   Logged

AceOfHearts

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 09:29:43 pm »

Assalamu alaikum Sr. Zainab,

Ofcourse, you have my full permission to put it up wherever you wish.

I have read many of your writings as well which are very enlightening. I like Qur'anic reasoning, alhamdulillah, but most people have little or no knowledge of the Qur'an unfortunately.

thanks very much.

Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 02:57:45 am »

Walaikum and many thanks for your kind words brother.  I can only agree to the fullest when you say that most people have little or no understanding of the Quraan.  That's precisely the reason I find it a good idea to put up posts such as this one on other forums.  At least people should get a chance to read.  Though majority may not want to appreciate even if they realize its correctness, Allah appreciates those who spread the truth. 

The following is the link of your original post at IOL.
http://www.islamonline.net/discussione/thread.jspa?threadID=11490&tstart=0

Try to keep checking it regularly for the first few days.  Don't be too surprised if the thread gets raided by unappreciative minds Smiley  Actually I've learnt to take that as a 'compliment.'
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 01:47:38 pm »

Brother AOH, how nice to see you on board.  and thanks for this dynamic post.  I like the idea of posting it at IOL.  when I checked that link i already found a response that was grossly misunderstood as expected.  unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) i am not a member of that place so I can't respond there.  But I suppose sister zeynab will take care of it, if she has the time & patience to waste on those people. 

As-Salaam Alaykum and Eid mubarak!
Report Spam   Logged

AceOfHearts

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 07:03:48 pm »

Thanks very much for you kind comments.

Nice to see you around too. Smiley

I have question for you or Zainab, seen as I see three or four people here most of the time. Do you guys know each other personally?
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 03:15:59 pm »

Thanks very much for you kind comments.

Nice to see you around too. Smiley

I have question for you or Zainab, seen as I see three or four people here most of the time. Do you guys know each other personally?

A very sweet question brother AOH Smiley  well, we've gotten to know each other online .. we haven't met personally.  When I got tired of the incorrect interpretations of Islam in all forums and websites, and wanted to have a place of my own where I could freely express my views, I was looking for some like minded people who could join me for a start.  I had met lots & lots of colleagues online in all forums including Free Minds.  But except for the 2 or 3 members who joined me here, I couldn't find enough compatibility of perception in others to give a  boost to my plan of an independent board.  Moreover, out of every 20 members who join online forums, not more than one post regularly.  There are about 75 members here, out of whom only 3 or 4 post oft and on.  I haven't done any official advertising yet, but hope to some day InshAllah.  I don't know what the response might be.  However, I've invited a lot of traditionalists personally.  They've read much of my work but are not willing to come and speak freely here .. and I find it quite pointless to discuss on their 'home turf' because I'm so tired of my posts getting locked or deleted sooner rather than later.  I also observed that several of the members who joined me here and didn't like my views began sending me angry emails.  Despite my insistence, they wouldn't come to the public board for a logical discussion.  For that reason I had to hide my email from this forum.  But anyhow, as long as I can expose the hidden truth with even a few guests visiting and reading daily (which they do), I feel my work is serving a good purpose.  Like I've always maintained, my goal is not to debate for the sake of an argument and neither of course do I expect others to agree with my views, rather it's to benefit thru mutual knowledge based on truth.  Thus, I thank those very few colleagues of mine who post whenever they get the time.  Not to mention, everyone has numerous personal & family responsibilities and it often gets hard to squeeze out extra time.  Thus, I don't rule out the possibility of some day being left all by myself here Cheesy    Even then, Allah always makes the truth to prevail.  Alhamdulilah.

Thanks for your interest and important contribution, dear brother!
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 03:30:21 pm »

BTW, br. AOH .. do take a look at the Islamonline link where I posted your article.  It seems to be progressing and you might find it interesting.

http://www.islamonline.net/discussione/thread.jspa?messageID=94019&#94019
Report Spam   Logged

AceOfHearts

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 07:41:39 pm »

I posted the same on the following Sunni discussion board, notice the strikingly different responses (compared to Muslim Villa)!

http://easy-talk.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2373
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 07:42:40 pm »

I'm truly saddened to read those responses.  Talks like these are a major cause of my depressive mind.  Ya Allah!  what's happening to my fellow Muslims?  You were right in saying that no one came with any concrete arguments to refute the matter.  One sister tried to but she really didn't make any sense.  The scenario is sad but not surprising.  The standard response on topics like these is always getting whipped up in anger and emotions.  And even when they say they have the substance to refute, it's only a legendary substance that's never presented.  This is the reason I find it's now pointless going to such Sunni forums.  Shiia forums are no different, to be honest.  After I'm back, I'll post this in Shiia chat.com, InshAllah.  I shall not be expecting any wonders Smiley

Btw .. interesting to know that you are also a member of MPACUK forum.  I was there too.  Except for a few jokes that I posted in the humour board, every post of mine on Islamic issues led to a quarrel.  I was myself amazed how I didn't get booted out.  That's probably because more than half of my posts would get deleted. 

Thanks for putting this up brother.  Also check the IOL link.  It too has been hijacked by the Sunni-Salaf ideologies.
Report Spam   Logged

AceOfHearts

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 08:17:24 pm »

Thanks for your response sister.

No, I dont remember ever posting on MPAC. They are assuming I am and spreading the word that I am from MPAC.

Due to a thread I started on the local (very large Mosque) not keeping the doors open during all the Salah times (they close at 7PM and not allowing women in for thahajjud), they started assuming I was from MPAC. The reason for that is the a group of brothers and sisters from MPAC did a documentary on Mosques not allowing women to pray or inadequete facility which was aired on one of UKs main TV channels. It obviously caused a bit of controversy. [The forum comes from a local Ramadan Radio broadcast from the Mosque]

So that's where it came from. But what they mean I am from MPAC is that I work with MPAC, not on the forums as such.

I can post it up on Shiachat.com I am signed up on there, if you wish?

Take care. 

Report Spam   Logged
AceOfHearts

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 07:17:25 pm »

OK, I posted it on Shia Forums. I wanted to do it my self because I actially combined another article on those with a disease in their hearts with this one.

Here is the link:

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=234934929
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 09:31:10 pm »

Very good idea brother.  I'll keep track of it as I do want to compare the shiia / sunni responses. 

I signed in with shiia chat more than a year ago but still haven't posted more than one or two articles there.  At the moment I am trying to finish an article on menstruation and why women aren't allowed to pray or fast during menses.  The Quraan only disallows sex between spouses during periods which is a purely biological issue relating to sexual hygiene.  Even medical experts advise the same.  But the Quraan does not at all prohibit women from praying or fasting while menstruating neither does the Quraan depict women as spiritually defective during menses.  I can predict the response from Sunni sites.  I would like to test the shiia site.  Will keep you informed, InshAllah.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: