Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 05:11:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Open Glorious Qur'an Discussion -(V.2:177)

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Open Glorious Qur'an Discussion -(V.2:177)  (Read 491 times)
AceOfHearts

Badges: (View All)
« on: November 28, 2007, 10:51:03 pm »

Asslamu aalikum

Thought it would be a great idea if we chose Verses and discussed our thoughts on it for a while, then move to a new Verse/s.

I will start off, inshallah.

Piety is not to turn your faces towards the east nor the west, but piety is one who believes in God and the Last Day, and the Angels, and the Scripture, and the prophets, and he gives money out of love to the near relatives, and the orphans, and the needy and the wayfarer, and those who ask, and to free the slaves, and he holds the Prayer, and he contributes towards betterment; and those who keep their pledges when they make a pledge, and those who are patient in the face of good and bad and when in despair. These are the ones who have been truthful, and they are the righteous. (Qur'an2:177)

I will post my thoughts on it later, as it is really late now.

Peace.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 04:14:05 am »

Thought it would be a great idea if we chose Verses and discussed our thoughts on it for a while, then move to a new Verse/s.

I will start off, inshallah.

"It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces to the East and the West; but righteous is he who believeth in Allah and the Last Day and the angels and the Scripture and the prophets; and giveth wealth, for love of Him, to kinsfolk and to orphans and the needy and the wayfarer and to those who ask, and to set slaves free; and observeth proper worship and payeth the poor-due. And those who keep their treaty when they make one, and the patient in tribulation and adversity and time of stress. Such are they who are sincere. Such are the God-fearing." (2:177) Al-Baqra

Very good idea brother.  I would look at this verse as a brief yet very comprehensive description of righteousness in the sight of the Almighty Allah.  Ritualistic and heedless worship with minimal or no awakening of one's conscience with its implementation in one's life is not piety, no matter how regularly and impressively it maybe performed.  In the sight of God this is only a facade, an act with outward correctness, being quite empty from within.  Righteousness and genuine piety is acquired by constructing the Faith and all the good deeds that must follow Faith by carefully reflecting and understanding the existence of God, our purpose of life on earth and the truth about the Hereafter.  This brings us to a topic we discussed recently, that is, adhering to righteousness for the sake of Allah.  The thought and understanding of the Almighty Allah gets us close to Him.  He recognizes our efforts to seek guidance and grants us more guidance.  This enhances our enlightenment.  Thus, we learn to improve our conduct and love humanity.  We establish a link between our love for God and love for humanity, because if we hadn't understood God, we might not have been able to realize with as much clarity the importance of compassion towards others.  The thought and love of God strengthens and stabilizes our moral pledge that we need to implement in our practical lives with our fellow human beings, and all living beings.  With such an awakening, our worship and beliefs as per the dictates of the Almighty Allah will never be symbolic but will have a clear-cut meaning for ourselves, subsequently helping us to be rational and not hasty, just and not bias, sympathetic and not brutal. 

Also, fear of God must not be confused with the usual worldly fear humans experience of one another.  Undoubtedly, the warnings in the Noble Quraan are meant to bring fear of the Power of Allah into the hearts of the evil doers.  Yet, if a sinful person turns towards God seeking His guidance, and God decides to bestow guidance to that person, that same fear which made him reflect about God changes into an infinite and indestructible expanse of love & trust in his heart for his Creator. 

And only Allah knows best.

Salaam Alaikum and peace ..
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 04:51:26 am »

Well, here it is, as Allah (Subhanu wa'Tala) says it Himself not to dwell over irrelevant matters and neither to turn religion into folklore, but to concentrate on the root issues of religion (and religion in the Quran is not separate from everyday life).  We are to follow the religious/spiritual side of the Quran as instructed by Him, neither minimizing nor exaggerating but essentially using our common sense.  This will quite automatically enable us to follow the practical side of the Quran with similar intelligence, moderation and accuracy.  V.2:177 discards all innovations and superficialities introduced by the clerics without mincing of words.  V.29:45 as follows also expresses the same meaning more briefly.  "Lo! worship preserveth from lewdness and iniquity, but verily remembrance of Allah is more important. And Allah knoweth what ye do." Surah Al-Ankabut.

Thank u for initiating this wise discourse on the Glorious Quran.  JazekAllah Khayr and peace.
Report Spam   Logged

AceOfHearts

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 10:46:35 am »

Excellent points made so far.

I will add the following points, perhaps repetitive:

Simply uttering the words "I am a Muslim" is not enough in the sight of Allah. Faith in Allah has to manifest itself in the person who are. However, giving away of wealth is not restricted to giving charity to the poor only, but to those among us who are in need of it, the relatives etc. The believer has no attachment to wealth. Mankind must keep keep away from a deep an irrational attachment of worldy possesions. Thus the Verse says ...those who give their wealth awat 'alaa hubbihee (despite love for it). This bit may be interpreted slightly differently...like "upon love of Allah", or out of a love of helping others (for the sake of Allah).

The Qur'an develops the believing person in such way that these believer attributes are generally developed in the guided reader from within him/her out of mindfulnes of Allah. This Verse describes the attributes of the believer whom Allah is content with.

I think the term 'Righteousness is not turn your faces towards the east or the west' is of importance. It probably means that outward acts of physicals rituals is not enough in the sight of Allah, as they can be easy done while not having real faith, the certain faith required by the Qur'an. There are some things that are much harder to achieve without real faith, and these are the things described in the Verse. Our Creator wants us to really prove that we are worthy of paradise by being the kind of people He wants us to be.
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 01:28:05 pm »

Salaam Alaikum and peace always Smiley  I'm so grateful for your thoughts, my brother and sister. One always learns something new by reading the views of others even if that may sound repetitive on the face of it.

I see verse 29:45 quoted by rose as a clear hint to what br.Aoh stated as follows:

I think the term 'Righteousness is not turn your faces towards the east or the west' is of importance. It probably means that outward acts of physicals rituals is not enough in the sight of Allah, as they can be easy done while not having real faith, the certain faith required by the Qur'an.

Actually this concept has been described in the Quraan in various chapters in different ways.  It shows the depth of its importance yet it means so little to a cursory reader of this marvellous Book.  E.g. In Surah Al-Maoon, Allah says openly Ah, woe unto worshippers  who are heedless of their prayer; Who would be seen (at worship)  yet refuse small kindnesses! (107:5-7).   There's yet another verse the Surah of which I cannot recall now but will mention it as soon as I find it InshAllah, says: guard yourselves against a chastisement that cannot fall exclusively on those of you who are wrong doers.  To me, this verse appears to be pointed at those who might commit misguided deeds or nurture misguided intentions but keep it concealed from public eyes underneath the facade of an ostentatious sable coat.  The world may grant them a great reputation thinking them to be persons of quality but Allah would not.  Therefore, good deeds (that includes worship and conduct with good intent) whether open or hidden, He knows them and will reward such a person.  Similarly, ritualistic prayer and actions with hidden or symbolic motives will have to be answered for on the Day of the Tryst. 

Mankind must keep keep away from a deep an irrational attachment of worldy possesions. Thus the Verse says ...those who give their wealth awat 'alaa hubbihee (despite love for it). This bit may be interpreted slightly differently...like "upon love of Allah", or out of a love of helping others (for the sake of Allah).

A very thoughtful and well analysed point, I would say .. Alhamdulilah.  This also reminds of another chapter of the Quraan where Allah explains the same meaning.  Again, I'm unable to recall that chapter at the moment, but if I may paraphrase it, it says that for people to merely affirm to the world that they believe is not the end of the matter.  Their faith will only be confirmed in the sight of Allah after they've been tested with something that they love, namely, loss of wealth and property.  In a situation like this, there would be a marked difference of attitudes between various persons, depending on their priorities .. that is, between one who realizes within his heart the temporary nature of earthly life & its possessions as compared to another person who simply practices the rituals of Faith without probing into the highly important & truthful values that it teaches. 

Here I would like to narrate a true story to illustrate this point.  It's an incident that took place with a close relative of mine.  Until this person was in his late 20s, he was conscientious about doing good deeds to others but apparently more for the purpose of secular ethics than his understanding of Allah, though he did believe in Allah. Financially he was neither rich nor poor but comfortable and peaceful with a respectable source of income.  Then suddenly, when he was in his early 30s, there was a theft in his house in which all of his wife's precious jewels that she inherited from her parents were lost.  This incident had a profound impact on his conscience with a gradual and negative decline over the years to come.  Today, in his early 60s, the man is bitter against God and the entire world, basically interpreting the loss of his wife's possessions as an unkind gesture from God.  I tried my best to awaken his conscience and make him realise his short-sightedness by sending him quality write-ups with moving quotes from the Noble Quraan, but to no avail.  What makes me still more sad is that the man is strikingly intelligent and actually does not dismiss the reality of Salvation, yet his pride won't let him give up his anger and return to humility.  Tired of my wasted attempts, I've now given up trying to help him as Allah states in the Quraan telling the Prophet that the Prophet cannot guide whom he loves but Allah guides whom He pleases.  And of course, the gift of Allah's guidance is based on the efforts each one of us make to seek that guidance.  It's quite the same case in this story.  Even with his obvious awareness of God in his sub-conscious mind, his superb academic education and intelligent outlook to worldly affairs, he has miserably failed the test resulting from a single incident of loss of family wealth.  He has gradually gotten his mind & heart tangled up in a maze of misguided and aggressive thoughts, displaying sheer lack of perseverence, immature judgment and incorrect priorities despite the fact that his financial status has actually improved by leaps & bounds since this incident took place.  He's now got a far better job, he's making good money, resides in a beautiful home etc. yet alas, a flatly blurred vision for perceiving the Truth  Sad   

Learning of such incidents makes me run to Allah yet faster, seeking refuge in Him from the guile of Satan and the deep ignorance that the human mind is capable of cultivating when unperceivingly it gets attracted to this Satanic guile.   

Thank you again dear brother.  If only there were more persons like you and some other sisters and brothers of my circle, wouldn't the human race benefit their souls greatly in the Hereafter?   Those of us bestowed with the gift of a clear Vision, are indeed the richest.  Alhamdulilah, Alhamduliah![/font]
Report Spam   Logged

AceOfHearts

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 11:23:30 am »

Sister Zeynab, thank you for this wonderful post.

You have made good reference to other Qur'anic Verses. And you used the term "clear vision" correctly. Perhaps we can discuss this term in more detail in a future Qur'anic Verse which uses such terms.

Your example prompts me to give one example. I was at uni finishing off some work till late, I offered a friend a lift home. I took the oportunity to enquire about his faith, he said he was a Budhist. He does not believe in a creator, budhism is about being spiritually healthy, he says.

Anyway, we discussed for about 15 minutes. I pointed out many signs for him that are within himself as well as outside. The miraculous nature of it all, but he would not believe. I would say, isnt this a miraculous act of design? He would agree that it is indeed enginuity....but shockingly enough, falls short of acknowledging the hands of a Creator when asked 'then who designed it?'. He thinks for a while and then says....'well it all happens over a long period of time (millions of years)'.

Since he was designing a robot for his project, I tried to draw a parallel betwen our eyes, brain and our hands and legs. I explained that your robot will have sensors which are to act like our eyes. Yet, our eyes are hundreds and hundreds of times superior. Your robot will have a microcontroller to do the processing from these sensors, yet that microcontroller cannot be compared with our superior brain by the least. I said, 'after the processing the sensor data the microcontroller will control the motors conected to the wheels. Yet our hands and feet are hundreds of times superior. You are desiging your robot', I continued 'there is no way that even your small robot could evolve by chance over millions of years...you had to put your intelligence in designing it, we are thousands of time superior in our design in all ways than your robot, so who is our designer?'...........after agreeing that yes we have excellent systems......he would simply say we came about over millions of years (evolved) without a Creator. It is like he does not see it. He acknoledges the signs, but fallls short of making the jump to conclude the existance of Allah. I tried different approaches, but nothing worked, same answer.

Anyway, that happened just days ago. It was clear to me that no matter how many signs are bought out in front of him. He would not believe in it. There is a Qur'anic for Verse that reveals this 'secret' to the believers:

"I will turn away from My Signs all those who are unjustly proud in the earth: and if they see every sign they will not believe in It" (Surat al-A'raf, 146)

This person is obviously intelligent as he is at university, yet he has not beein given the wisdom and necessary humility by Allah to make the deduction that he has been created. Allah misguides whomever He wills and guides womever he wills.

I know of the tendency to feel that it may be we did not do enough to convey the truth because the person we tried to guide, could not see the way. Perhaps we could have done this better or that better? But the truth is, these people will never believe no matter what sign we show them (as the above Verse says) unless Allah wants them to be guided. (this reminds me of the Verse where it states "I have created a certain portion of men and jinn for the Fire"...so obviously, there will be no guidance for them). In these cases, we should bear in mind what Allah says to us when someone does not become guided after we invite them to guidance:

And whosoever disbelieves, then do not be saddened by their disbelief. To Us is their ultimate return, then We will inform them of what they had done. God is fully aware of what is inside the chests. We let them enjoy for a while, then We commit them to severe retribution. [Qur'an 31:23-24]

Allah tells the Prophet to not be saddened by those who disbelieve after him inviting them. It is also applicable to us. So we should not feel despondant but feel that we have done our best, and then it is upto Allah if He guides them or not. The Verse points out that some of them are destined for a 'severe retribution', there is nothing we can do to turn Allah's decree around.

Another Verse of interest here:

"You cannot make the dead hear, nor can you make the deaf hear the call when they turn their backs and flee. Nor can you guide the blind from their misguidance. You can only make those who believe in Our revelations hear you, for they have surrendered." [Qur'an 27:80:81]

We cannot guide whom Allah made blind to the truth from their misguidance. They are blind to the existance of Allah and will never see it. For these people, we should be content that we have done our best, provided we have indeed tried our best.

My despise of the disbelief of the person in my example further strengthened my love for those who TRULY believe with certainty. I could see that believers should love one another as the manifestation of their love for Allah for having guided them. However, it is hard to find those who truly believe. Because to truly believe, one needs to display the charecteristics of a true believer as described by the Qur'an. Going back to the Verse, doing some acts of worship like Salah does not mean one is a true believer. It means there is a chance that this person may be a true believer. This Verse identifies some of the other aspects of a believer which must be there as a result of their nearness to Allah and faith in the Hereafter.

Finally, some things I want to mention from our Verse 2:177. It tells us to keep to our pledges. "little" things like trying best to turn up in time for an arranged meeting, to turn up at all. When giving the word to some one that you will do someting for them, do it. If you cant, make necessary and kind way to dissolve the resposnsibility. To be patient in times of hardship and stress. Other Verses indicates all trouble and misfortune falls by Allahs will only. Accept Allah's destiny and persevere untill His help comes, whenever it is destined to be. This understanding leads one to not moan or complain to human beings about their situation, but remain patient till Allah's help comes. A Verse indicated that with hardship, there comes ease  have faith in what Allah says. With this steadfastness, the believer is able to take rational and beneficial actions to improve the situation they are in. We also learn that afflictions WILL fall man (which is why the Verse mentions how the believer responds) - this does not mean Allah does not exist, it would be the most unwise thing to do as it would mean turning blind to the millions of signs in the heavens and the earth of Allahs existance. Rather find ways to draw beneficial conclusions from the difficult experiences. 

Interesting, we are discussing how simple acts of worship are not enough in the sight of Allah and this Verse indicates some of the other attributes of a true believer. The Verse ends saying "They are those who have proved sincere (sadaqoo) and they are those who are conscious (of Allah) (muttaqoon)". I take this to mean that it is only then one truly achieved being the kind of believer who earns Allah's consent. This person is the difinition of the believer. So simply performing Salah, while  during other moment of life not being aware of Allah and thus taking part in imprudent deeds, does not fit the believer model by Qur'anic definitions.

Anyway, I have benefitted a lot from all the thoughts in this thread.  I was reading a Verse yesterday "most people do not believe". We shall show thanks to Our Maker, Our Sustainer for the way He has guided us. All praise is due to HIM alone. Praise be to Him in all directions and praise be to Him for giving us the Reminder.
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 07:07:27 pm »

Very interesting, brother.  The faulty vision of disbelievers actually exposes the Truth still more clearly to a believer.  Verse 146 of Surah Al-Araf is a real powerful one.  This is what Allah means when He says that He grants guidance only to those who seek it.  Thus, each person has to initiate the destination of their fate and then Allah responds accordingly.  His tests are included in His responses.  Educational and technical advancement that provides knowledge and reflective perceptive is greatly encouraged in the Quraan.  Such knowledge is meant to further affirm the unique presence of our great Creator, the Almighty Allah, in our minds on the basis of facts & reason.  But it's unfortunate that most humans abuse education and knowledge and misuse it to promote their arrogance by rejecting Allah and thinking themselves too independent.  All such rejecters always leave certain questions unanswered.  This person gives credit to millions of years of evolution for designing the human anatomy.  But what he hasn't thought about is - Who has been controllings every ongoing process since millions of years and more, both within our planet and throughout the cosmos?   What makes these millions of years go by with all its occurences?  Not to mention, even researchers do acknowledge that there comes a point beyond which they cannot proceed .. where they must draw a line.  They try to avoid this issue but they don't (rather cannot) deny it.  They also admit that whatever theories they've constructed based on their studies is only the human perception.  The reality according to God could be totally different, and quite beyond scientific or any sort of physical comprehension.  Therefore, it all boils down to humility which is the most important pre-requisite for a person to begin understanding Faith and the Divine Power.  We have to begin by accepting that just because the Unseen is beyond our limited comprehension does not mean it's to be rejected.  With such foolish rejections we could end up wrecking our souls unknowingly. To be honest, it hurts me so much to watch our fellow human beings refuse the recognition of Allah on the basis of their own limited vision, a recognition that is the due right of Allah and none else.  And yes, at such times verses like 31:23-24 and other similar ones are so comforting for a believer.

And whosoever disbelieves, then do not be saddened by their disbelief. To Us is their ultimate return, then We will inform them of what they had done. God is fully aware of what is inside the chests. We let them enjoy for a while, then We commit them to severe retribution. [Qur'an 31:23-24]

Allah tells the Prophet to not be saddened by those who disbelieve after him inviting them. It is also applicable to us. So we should not feel despondant but feel that we have done our best, and then it is upto Allah if He guides them or not. The Verse points out that some of them are destined for a 'severe retribution', there is nothing we can do to turn Allah's decree around.

Alhamdulilah, I can only agree with u brother.

"You cannot make the dead hear, nor can you make the deaf hear the call when they turn their backs and flee. Nor can you guide the blind from their misguidance. You can only make those who believe in Our revelations hear you, for they have surrendered." [Qur'an 27:80:81]

A remarkable verse with a deep meaning.  Praise be to Allah.  As we would know, the terms 'surrender' and 'submission' are synonymous with believers in the Noble Quraan.  I would interpret these terms as symbolic of total humility in the presence of God.  The world consists of people with an amalgam of temperaments.  There are egoistical ones and those who're down-to-earth among themselves.  But whether egoistical or cool with one another, what brings about the final destruction of a soul is when its sight becomes dim to the remembrance of the Divine Power and it looks upon Him with materialistic self-pride and independence.  Such a soul will never be capable of surrendering because it's not humble.

My despise of the disbelief of the person in my example further strengthened my love for those who TRULY believe with certainty. I could see that believers should love one another as the manifestation of their love for Allah for having guided them. However, it is hard to find those who truly believe. Because to truly believe, one needs to display the charecteristics of a true believer as described by the Qur'an. Going back to the Verse, doing some acts of worship like Salah does not mean one is a true believer. It means there is a chance that this person may be a true believer.

I connect with you one hundred per cent.  A disbeliever is indeed unfortunate, and what makes their situation still more dismal is that they're hardly aware of the extent of damage they're inflicting upon their souls each day.  Thus, my sadness is also overcome with sorrow for their existence when I constantly pray to Allah to show some some light to whichever of such persons He considers might be responsive.  But despite my sorrow, I cannot help but experience repugnance within my heart when I hear the talk of disbelievers and their supreme confidence as if they control the world.  I think, being a believer, my repugnance of such an attitude is a natural feeling.   However, it's very hard to convey this to others.  It's not uncommon by secularists to label such feelings as 'intolerance.' though nothing could be farther from the truth.  What I experience in my heart is a personal feeling of deep disagreement, not intolerance.  There's a huge difference between disagreement and intolerance, a difference which secular forces mistakenly or purposely overlook.  A true believer can never be intolerant of their surroundings which itself is against the principles of belief.  But just like anyone else, believers too have the entitlement to disagree and speak accordingly. 

Finally, some things I want to mention from our Verse 2:177. It tells us to keep to our pledges. "little" things like trying best to turn up in time for an arranged meeting, to turn up at all. When giving the word to some one that you will do someting for them, do it. If you cant, make necessary and kind way to dissolve the resposnsibility. To be patient in times of hardship and stress. Other Verses indicates all trouble and misfortune falls by Allahs will only. Accept Allah's destiny and persevere untill His help comes, whenever it is destined to be.

Oh yes .. and I think we Muslims need to brush up a great deal on such everyday practical issues.  The Noble Quraan being a complete code of life, is a great place for promoting good manners, etiquettes, importance of punctuality and adhering to promises of honesty, treaties, documents etc. 

Apart from the rampant financial corruption and cheating, the concept of punctuality is totally absent from the Muslim society.  In many Muslim countries if a wedding invitation card mentions the time of commencement of the ceremony at 6.00 p.m., you could easily walk in at 8.00 p.m. and yet be one of the first to arrive.  Ridiculous as it may sound, it's true and totally incompatible with the description of an upright believer in the Quraan. 

Another gesture of bad manners that's commonplace in most Muslim societies is turning up suddenly as surprise visitors in the homes of relatives and friends.  These visitors are oblivious of the inconveniene they cause to their hosts with their surprise visits.  Regarding this practice the Noble Quraan says to the visitor (even in those days when there were no telephones, not even front-door bells) to announce their arrival by calling out to the housefolks from the front entrance.  And if it's not convenient for the hosts to receive them for any personal reasons, they should not insist and simply go away.  But according to the present culture of our Ummah, it's not even incumbent on a guest to think about the host's personal convenience.  A host has to look upon it as a bounden duty to entertain all casual guests.  The concept of the Noble Quraan on this issue is clearly the opposite.  This doesn't mean hospitality is not important.  But the Quraan promotes the most practical approach of balancing the convenience of both the guests and the hosts. 

A Verse indicated that with hardship, there comes ease  have faith in what Allah says. With this steadfastness, the believer is able to take rational and beneficial actions to improve the situation they are in.

Ah! yes brother, this is Surah Al-Inshirah.  I usually recite it in my Asr salaah when I'm right in the middle of my day and anxiety from various worldly sources seems to be at its peak.  This Surah brings a sea of comfort to my heart, Alhamdulilah!

1. Have We not caused thy bosom to dilate,
2. And eased thee of the burden
3. Which weighed down thy back;
4. And exalted thy fame ?
5. But lo! with hardship goeth ease,
6. Lo! with hardship goeth ease;
7. So when thou art relieved, still toil
8. And strive to please thy Lord.
(94:1-8)

We also learn that afflictions WILL fall man (which is why the Verse mentions how the believer responds) - this does not mean Allah does not exist, it would be the most unwise thing to do as it would mean turning blind to the millions of signs in the heavens and the earth of Allahs existance. Rather find ways to draw beneficial conclusions from the difficult experiences. 

Very needful clarification.  Most people tend not to understand this aspect.  Afflictions might fall on persons who are apparently obedient to God, and then everyone asks 'why?'  Such a query generally comes from quarters where the sole focus is on earthly life and the truth of the Hereafter is ignored completely.  The fact is that this world is not a place for constant comfort and joy.  It's a venue for tests and tribulations, and the characteristics of our reactions depending on the quality & depth of our Faith.  Despite that, God has blessed us with numerous happiness in this temporary life on the basis of His unlimited bounty and mercy.   It's true that earthly tests are often very difficult to endure.  The only thing that eases this pressure is our resignation and recognition of the Truth.  A challenging spirit only makes the matter infinitely harder to cope with.  These tests and how we handle them with the help of Faith is the basic purpose of life, as I see it.  Secondly, every reward of perseverence during such trials might not necessarily come in this world.  Usually the fruitful outcome in this world is very little compared to the Hereafter.  In my opinion, Allah makes it very clear in the Quraan that reward & punishment for hard work & disobedience respectively corresponds to the Hereafter primarily.  The secondary reference is to the earthly world.   This can be difficult for those to understand who don't at all harbour the concept of the Hereafter.  They would only make light of this unshakable Truth.   

Anyway, I have benefitted a lot from all the thoughts in this thread .. 

Alhamdulilah, so have I my brother.  I hope it's been the same with anyone else who's read this thread.

Thanks yet again for this very reflective example, brother.  It further exposes the blunders and loopholes disbelievers get themselves stuck into and yet pretend to be convinced of their infallibility.  How correctly the Noble Quraan describes such attitudes!  Praise be to Allah.

To check the responses of the original post of Br.AOH at Islam Online Forum, click here.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 01:58:07 am »

Thanks all for another highly informative and thoroughly satisfying discussion. 

Assalaam Alaykum - peace
Report Spam   Logged

AceOfHearts

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 10:55:21 am »

Thanks very much sister Zeynab. Allah has been merciful to us all here for the way He has guided us to Him.

Does any one else want to choose a Verse/s so that we may ponder and discuss the wisdom our Lord has revealed in it?
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 05:16:42 pm »

Does any one else want to choose a Verse/s so that we may ponder and discuss the wisdom our Lord has revealed in it?

Yes brother, I would love to bring up some more verses for reflection.  Just give me a day or two to go thru my file.

Allah has been merciful to us all here for the way He has guided us to Him.

Right brother.  Praise be to Allah.  This, His guidance, is the most precious piece of jewel one can ever own.  Those of us fortunate enough to have acquired it must thank Allah each day of our lives and make sure we never lose it, Allah Forbid.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: