Guests wanting to sign-up as members MUST first introduce themselves in detail at our Guestbook otherwise their registrations will be DELETED. Approval of members is at the discretion of the team. MV is a place for humble learning through mutual consultation, not for narcissists nor belligerent disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism."
Muslim Villa
November 24, 2017, 10:56:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Ten Nights - the even and the odd (V. 89:1-2)

+-
Shoutbox
November 09, 2017, 04:26:36 am Heba E. Husseyn: Please pray for Rohingya children. As genocide in Buddhist Burma continues, many Rohingya children arriving in Bangladesh camps don't know where their parents are. May the Burmese murderer-terrorist Su Kyi rot in Hell.
June 21, 2017, 07:42:01 am Zeynab: Shukran sis Heba.  Allah Bless. Ameen.
June 21, 2017, 07:39:56 am Heba E. Husseyn: Leialtul Qadr Mubarak.  For details on Leilatul Qadr please read MV post Leila-tul-Qadr
May 04, 2017, 05:35:01 am N. Truth Seeker: Alhumdulilah, Alhumdulilah.  Still 22 days left.  InshAllah we can thank Allah for granting us the opportunity to experience another of this blessed month for the betterment of our souls.  Thanks for mentioning Sister.
May 04, 2017, 05:20:37 am Ruhi_Rose: I can hardly keep track with the speed at which time flies.  Ramadan 2017 only 22 days away!
September 12, 2016, 03:17:09 am N. Truth Seeker: Wa salam sisters. So kind of u to remember. Alhumdulilah that Allah gave us another chance to live thru the blessed month of Zil Hajj.  Was a busy time for all of my family.
September 11, 2016, 08:26:43 am Zeynab: Wa'salaam my dear Sis Heba Smiley  Yes, Alhumdulilah, the 10 days of this blessed month went well by the Grace & Mercy of Allah. I wish the same for all.
September 11, 2016, 02:20:02 am Heba E. Husseyn: Salam my dear MV team and other sis and bros.  I pray the first 10 days of the bless month of Zil Hajj has passed well for all.  Hajj culminates in about 2 days. InshAllah.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ten Nights - the even and the odd (V. 89:1-2)  (Read 639 times)
Zeynab
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: December 12, 2007, 10:13:00 pm »

BismEm

Surah Al-Fajr

By the Dawn
And ten nights, 

89:1-2

Some members of the ulema group refer to the "ten nights" mentioned in this Verse as the last ten nights of Ramadan.  Contrary to this, others say it refers to the first ten nights of the month of Dhul-Hijjah.  How would you interpret this?

Walaikum Salaam

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 05:25:29 pm »

As-salaam Alaiykum sister

1.  By the Dawn
2. And ten nights,
3. And the Even and the Odd,
89:1-3, Al Fajar

Most people take it as the first 10 nights of Haj.  But I would prefer to take it as the last 10 of Ramadan.  This can be taken as being supported by verse 89:3 stating "And the Even and the Odd."  I will have to add that my decision does have a hadith connection.  As you would know, hadith says that  Lailatul Qadr is on one of the last 10 odd nights of Ramadan.  In verses 2 and 3 of Surah al-Fajar we find that link between 10 nights and the even & odd.  I acknowledge that this is no hard and irrefutable evidence that these two verses are definitely about the last 10 nights of Ramadan.  Initially when I read this hadith and its supporting articles in websites and personal lectures, I did not give much heed.  But then, after reading these 2 verses set my mind thinking.  Though by no means confirmed, verse 89:2 & 3 brings a possibility that this hadith concept could contain some truth.  The reason I'm not inclined to linking the 10 nights as stated in verse 2 to Haj is because it carries no references to Haj.   I acknowledge perfectly that the season of Haj is very special when Allah has commanded us to particularly beware of any violations of spiritual, ethical and moral conduct.  Allah has also described the method of performing this praiseworthy form of worship.  But I can't think of any specific mention in the Quran about the 10 nights of Haj.  For that matter, there's no specific mention about seeking Qadr on the last 10 nights of Ramadan either.  But we do know that a certain One night in the month of Ramadan does belong to Qadr (Reference is to Surah 97, Al-Qadr (Night of Decree), the date of which Allah hasn't told anyone. At the same time, the "ten nights" as mentioned in verse 2 of Surah Al-Fajar also must be having a meaning which only Allah knows.  That's for sure.  So, in plain terms I'm assuming by connecting verses 89:2 & 3 with Surah 97, backed a little by that hadith.  But as always, only Allah knows the exact truth.  I can only go as far as this.     
Report Spam   Logged

HE WHO KNEELS BEFORE ALLAH CAN
STAND BEFORE ANYONE.
Zeynab
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 04:47:15 pm »

Okay .. that's a logical connection. I understand it.   And yes, your reading about "the Even and the Odd" makes me curious too.   Though this is not a concrete evidence that it refers to the even and odd nights of the last 10 of Ramadan, but the possibility cannot be ruled out.  And only Allah knows best.  I recall, about 4 years ago I was taking notes on the Quraan and Islam (in general) online thru correspondence from an Egyptian brother residing in Cairo.  He took up this issue on "the Even and the Odd."  I've retained his emails in one of my folders.  I quote what he mentioned about Surah Al-Fajr as follows. 

QUOTE -
Alsalam Alaikum Zainab,
Thanks for your Emails and for confirming the meaning for Witr. I forgot to tell you that Allah (Subhan wa Ta’ala) adjurated by the Even and Odd in Sorat Al-Fajr. 
“By the Break of Day;(1) By the Nights twice five; (2) By the Even and Odd (3)”
The explanation:
Wa Al-Fajr (By the Beak of the Day); (In that verse, Day mentions to the day of sacrifice.
By the Nights twice five;(In that verse the Nights mentions to the first ten nights of Zul- Hajja)
By the Even (mentions to the tenth Night of Zul-Hajja) and the Odd (mentions to the ninth Night of Zul-Hajja, the day of Arafa)
And Allah Knows the best.
UNQUOTE -

He also interprets it as referring to the month of Dhul-Hijjah as in IOL, not month of Ramadan.   He takes "the Even" as the 10th night and "the Odd" as the 9th night.  Considering this, that hadith will have no basis. 

As I vaguely recall, I had asked a question about 'witr' inquiring what witr means.  I was confused as some say 'witr' means 'one' in Arabic while some say it means 'any odd number.'  A friend of mine once told me that she was perplexed why people offer 3 rakahs for Witr during Isha salaah because 'witr' by definition means 'one.'   I think she was partly right.  Witr simply means an odd number (any odd number).  So it can be used for 1 as well as 3 as both are odd numbers.  The meaning obviously has to be determined from the sentence one writes or speaks.  As for Isha prayer, witr must mean 3 because that's the number of rakahs retained by tradition.

The reason why I put up this question here was because I was reading the newsletter from IslamOnline a few days ago and they had an article on Hajj.  As far as I know, Dec.12  was the 1st day of the month of Dhul-Hijjah.  In their article, they associated the "ten days" as mentioned in Verse 89:2 as those of the first ten nights of Hajj.  Again, only Allah knows best.

Walaikum Salaam and thanks for your nice explanation.  Allah bless
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 09:20:40 pm »

Sorat Al-Fajr. 
“By the Break of Day;(1) By the Nights twice five; (2) By the Even and Odd (3)”
The explanation:
Wa Al-Fajr (By the Beak of the Day); (In that verse, Day mentions to the day of sacrifice.
By the Nights twice five;(In that verse the Nights mentions to the first ten nights of Zul- Hajja)
By the Even (mentions to the tenth Night of Zul-Hajja) and the Odd (mentions to the ninth Night of Zul-Hajja, the day of Arafa)
And Allah Knows the best.

Hmmmm, but i'm eager to know the reason as to how this is linked to the 10th and 9th Nights of Zil-Haj.  I'm also not clear how this brother knows for sure that "Dawn" or "Break of Day" (Al-Fajr) refers to the day of sacrifice.  The meanings are clear but not the their basis or connections.  If anyone knows of any Quranic references about these, then please quote.

Anyway, a good point to bring up.  But eventually, only Allah-o-Alim.
Report Spam   Logged

Zeynab
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 10:36:43 pm »

Hmmmm, but i'm eager to know the reason as to how this is linked to the 10th and 9th Nights of Zil-Haj.  I'm also not clear how this brother knows for sure that "Dawn" or "Break of Day" (Al-Fajr) refers to the day of sacrifice.  The meanings are clear but not the their basis or connections.  If anyone knows of any Quranic references about these, then please quote.

Anyway, a good point to bring up.  But eventually, only Allah-o-Alim.

Salaam Alaikum, Sis Heba.  How r u dear sis? Smiley

I too am keen to know the Quraanic reference to this conclusion.  I don't know of any verses in the Quraan that make this connection directly.  The direct reference comes only from hadith.  I received a newsletter from Islamic Tube which I quote below.

"Ibn ‘Abbaas, Ibn al-Zubayr, Mujaahid and others of the earlier and later generations said that this refers to the first ten days of Dhu’l-Hijjah. Ibn Katheer said: “This is the correct opinion.” (Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 8/413).

The Prophet (sa) commanded us to recite a lot of Dhikr (remembrance) of Allah, example – Allahu Akbar, La elaha illallah, Alhamdulillah, Subhaanallah

These days include the pilgrims (hujjaj) performing Hajj in Mecca.

These days include the Day of Arafaah, on which Allaah perfected / completed the religion of Islaam and fasting on this day will expiate for the sins of two years

These days include the Day of Sacrifice – Eid ul Adha."

Thus, except for the above source (hadith) outside the Quraan, I cannot see any direct connection within the Quraan of the of first 3 verses of Surah Al-Fajr with the first 10 days of Hajj.  Nonetheless, based on the various instructions of the Noble Quraan about the reverence of this important month, (along with my common sense) I fully agree that these first 10 days of the respected month of Zil-Hajj are very special indeed.  Extra worship throughout this period and fasting on the day of Arafah will only be a source of immense good for our souls and might atone for some of our sins, if Allah wills.

Like br. TS wrote, surely the "Ten Nights" as mentioned in verse 2 of Surah Al-Fajr must be having a meaning.  It might very well mean the first 10 Nights of Zil-Hajj but only Allah knows best the truth of it.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 07:54:42 am »

Salams folks.  Taking up this thread after almost a decade, wow woo! Smiley   That's how long we've been here ..... Shukr al-Alhumdulilah ya Rab!

I was studying this topic to I jumped in here.  As I read this thread, I guess brother TS thinks "even" and the "odd" might refer to the hadith proposition of odd nights of Ramadan in the last 10 days ... and for a change the hadith may have made a plausible connection though not sure.  However, the jurists take it as the first 10 nights of Hajj, not last 10 nights of Ramadan. 

So, when I explain this to the kids, what do I say?   .... should I mention both possibilities? 

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 08:22:37 am »

Walaykum Salam Sister Ruhi. 

Good you came by.  It reminds me to put up some information on this topic which I should have some months back but forgot.  I found a good commentary which seems the most acceptable, but of course only Allah knows best.

It's very likely that the reference is neither to first 10 nights of Hajj nor last 10 of Ramadan.  It's simply a description of the passing of the 30 days of every month.  This commentary is from Abu Alaa Maududi, quoted below:

On "ten nights" .......

QUOTE -
"By the ten nights." If the context is kept in view, it will become plain that it implies each group of the ten nights among the thirty nights of the month, the first ten nights being those during which the crescent moon starting as a thin nail. goes on waxing every night until its major portion becomes bright; the second group of the ten nights being those during which the greater part of the night remains illumined by the moon, and the last ten nights being those during which the moon goes on waning and the nights becoming more and more dark until by the end of the month the whole night becomes absolutely dark."
UNQUOTE -

On "even and the odd" ..........

QUOTE -
"Even is the number which is divisible into two equal parts, as 2, 4, 6, 8, and the odd the number which is not so divisible, as l, 3, 5, 7  .... Since the context here concerns the day and the night, the even and the odd mean the alternation of day and night in the sense that the dates of the month go on changing from the first to the second, and from second to the third, and every change brings with it a new state." 
UNQUOTE -

I repeat, this one sounds most acceptable to me.  There have been more than 2 dozen tafsirs by different clerics and jurists on these two Verses, but none have thought of this point.  All of them talk about first 10 Hajj nights and some refer to last Ramadan nights .. all in connection with traditionalist information but no one focusing on the Quran independently.  Maududi is the first one who has explained it without being hung up on traditions, at least not this time. 

I am of the opinion that you explain this commentary to your kids.   And simply inform them that mainstream traditionalists pick of Hajj or Ramadan nights but without evidence; so that if they watch or hear the lectures of jurists referring to the usual traditions, the children won't get confused.  But let them know that Maududi's explanation is most likely the right one.

Btw .... SubhanAllah, we have completed a decade running MV !!!!    Allah is the Greatest!
Report Spam   Logged

STAND BEFORE ANYONE.
Zeynab
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 08:35:44 am »

On "ten nights" .......

QUOTE -
"By the ten nights." If the context is kept in view, it will become plain that it implies each group of the ten nights among the thirty nights of the month, the first ten nights being those during which the crescent moon starting as a thin nail. goes on waxing every night until its major portion becomes bright; the second group of the ten nights being those during which the greater part of the night remains illumined by the moon, and the last ten nights being those during which the moon goes on waning and the nights becoming more and more dark until by the end of the month the whole night becomes absolutely dark."
UNQUOTE -

On "even and the odd" ..........

QUOTE -
"Even is the number which is divisible into two equal parts, as 2, 4, 6, 8, and the odd the number which is not so divisible, as l, 3, 5, 7  .... Since the context here concerns the day and the night, the even and the odd mean the alternation of day and night in the sense that the dates of the month go on changing from the first to the second, and from second to the third, and every change brings with it a new state." 
UNQUOTE -

MashAllah, many thanks brother TS.  Good job finding this.    It's certainly a very sensible one and I'm glad it's a rare one that studies the Quran independently, not hovering around traditional writings.    Thanks again.  I must remember and save it so that there shouldn't be any future confusions on this topic.  I mean, surely Allah knows best, but I think this commentary is largely accurate.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 08:42:53 am »

You're very welcomed Sister Zeynab Smiley  I also found Maududi's opinion on these important Verses a breakthrough.  It does appear very thoughtfully accurate.   
Report Spam   Logged

STAND BEFORE ANYONE.
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 08:48:14 am »

Allah bless you me brother!   This is very educative.  Really simplified my task.  I now need to enter it in my backup file and will then InshAllah, teach the kiddos. 
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 08:49:27 am »

Very welcomed Sister Ruhi .. Smiley  glad it has helped.
Report Spam   Logged

STAND BEFORE ANYONE.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: