Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 06:15:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Ten Nights - the even and the odd (V. 89:1-2)

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ten Nights - the even and the odd (V. 89:1-2)  (Read 2298 times)
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: December 12, 2007, 10:13:00 pm »

BismEm

Surah Al-Fajr

By the Dawn
And ten nights, 

89:1-2

Some members of the ulema group refer to the "ten nights" mentioned in this Verse as the last ten nights of Ramadan.  Contrary to this, others say it refers to the first ten nights of the month of Dhul-Hijjah.  How would you interpret this?

"the Even and the Odd" makes me curious too.   Though this is not a concrete evidence that it refers to the even and odd nights of the last 10 of Ramadan, but the possibility cannot be ruled out.  And only Allah knows best.  I recall, about 4 years ago I was taking notes on the Quraan and Islam (in general) online thru correspondence from an Egyptian brother residing in Cairo.  He took up this issue on "the Even and the Odd."  I've retained his emails in one of my folders.  I quote what he mentioned about Surah Al-Fajr as follows. 

QUOTE -
Alsalam Alaikum Zainab,
Thanks for your Emails and for confirming the meaning for Witr. I forgot to tell you that Allah (Subhan wa Ta’ala) adjurated by the Even and Odd in Sorat Al-Fajr. 
“By the Break of Day;(1) By the Nights twice five; (2) By the Even and Odd (3)”
The explanation:
Wa Al-Fajr (By the Beak of the Day); (In that verse, Day mentions to the day of sacrifice.
By the Nights twice five;(In that verse the Nights mentions to the first ten nights of Zul- Hajja)
By the Even (mentions to the tenth Night of Zul-Hajja) and the Odd (mentions to the ninth Night of Zul-Hajja, the day of Arafa)
And Allah Knows the best.
UNQUOTE -

He also interprets it as referring to the month of Dhul-Hijjah as in IOL, not month of Ramadan.   He takes "the Even" as the 10th night and "the Odd" as the 9th night.   But these are Hadithist sources, cannot be trusted as their interpretations don't cite any Quranic content as confirmed evidence.

Walaikum Salaam

ADDENDUM - July 2022:
To know the correct interpretation of Ten Nights - the even and the odd (V.89:1-2)  please read brother Truth Seeker's post in this thread HERE.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 09:20:40 pm »

Hmmmm, but i'm eager to know the reason as to how this is linked to the 10th and 9th Nights of Zil-Haj.  I'm also not clear how this brother knows for sure that "Dawn" or "Break of Day" (Al-Fajr) refers to the day of sacrifice.  The meanings are clear but not  their basis or connections.  If anyone knows of any Quranic references about these, then please quote.

A good point to bring up.  But eventually, only Allah-o-Alim.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 10:36:43 pm »

Salaam Alaikum Sis Heba. 

I too am keen to know the Quraanic reference to this conclusion.  I don't know of any verses in the Quraan that make this connection directly.  The direct reference comes only from hadith.  I received a newsletter from Islamic Tube which I quote below.

"Ibn ‘Abbaas, Ibn al-Zubayr, Mujaahid and others of the earlier and later generations said that this refers to the first ten days of Dhu’l-Hijjah. Ibn Katheer said: “This is the correct opinion.” (Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 8/413).

The Prophet (sa) commanded us to recite a lot of Dhikr (remembrance) of Allah, example – Allahu Akbar, La elaha illallah, Alhamdulillah, Subhaanallah

These days include the pilgrims (hujjaj) performing Hajj in Mecca.

These days include the Day of Arafaah, on which Allaah perfected / completed the religion of Islaam and fasting on this day will expiate for the sins of two years

These days include the Day of Sacrifice – Eid ul Adha."

Thus, except for the above source (hadith) outside the Quraan, I cannot see any direct connection within the Quraan of the of first 3 verses of Surah Al-Fajr with the first 10 days of Hajj.  Nonetheless, based on the various instructions of the Noble Quraan about the reverence of this important month, (along with my common sense) I fully agree that these first 10 days of the respected month of Zil-Hajj are very special indeed.  Extra worship throughout this period and fasting on the day of Arafah will only be a source of immense good for our souls and might atone for some of our sins, if Allah wills.

Like br. TS wrote, surely the "Ten Nights" as mentioned in verse 2 of Surah Al-Fajr must be having a meaning.  It might very well mean the first 10 Nights of Zil-Hajj but only Allah knows best the truth of it.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 07:54:42 am »

Salams folks.  Taking up this thread after almost a decade, wow woo! Smiley   That's how long we've been here ..... Shukr al-Alhumdulilah ya Rab!

I was studying this topic to I jumped in here.  

So, when I explain this to the kids, what do I say?   .... should I mention both possibilities? 

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 08:22:37 am »

Walaykum Salam Sister Ruhi. 

Good you came by.  It reminds me to put up some information on this topic which I should have some months back but forgot.  I found a good commentary which seems the most acceptable, but of course only Allah knows best.

It's very likely that the reference is neither to first 10 nights of Hajj nor last 10 of Ramadan.  It's simply a description of the passing of the 30 days of every month.  This commentary is from Abu Alaa Maududi, quoted below:

On "ten nights" .......

QUOTE -
"By the ten nights." If the context is kept in view, it will become plain that it implies each group of the ten nights among the thirty nights of the month, the first ten nights being those during which the crescent moon starting as a thin nail. goes on waxing every night until its major portion becomes bright; the second group of the ten nights being those during which the greater part of the night remains illumined by the moon, and the last ten nights being those during which the moon goes on waning and the nights becoming more and more dark until by the end of the month the whole night becomes absolutely dark."
UNQUOTE -

On "even and the odd" ..........

QUOTE -
"Even is the number which is divisible into two equal parts, as 2, 4, 6, 8, and the odd the number which is not so divisible, as l, 3, 5, 7  .... Since the context here concerns the day and the night, the even and the odd mean the alternation of day and night in the sense that the dates of the month go on changing from the first to the second, and from second to the third, and every change brings with it a new state." 
UNQUOTE -

I repeat, this one sounds most acceptable to me.  There have been more than 2 dozen tafsirs by different clerics and jurists on these two Verses, but none have thought of this point.  All of them talk about first 10 Hajj nights and some refer to last Ramadan nights .. all in connection with traditionalist information but no one focusing on the Quran independently.  Maududi is the first one who has explained it without being hung up on traditions, at least not this time. 

I am of the opinion that you explain this commentary to your kids.   And simply inform them that mainstream traditionalists pick of Hajj or Ramadan nights but without evidence; so that if they watch or hear the lectures of jurists referring to the usual traditions, the children won't get confused.  But let them know that Maududi's explanation is most likely the right one.

Btw .... SubhanAllah, we have completed a decade running MV !!!!    Allah is the Greatest!

FOR MORE DETAILED INFORMATION ON THIS TOPIC, PLEASE ALSO READ OUR POST ON HAJJ (click link).
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 08:35:44 am »

On "ten nights" .......

QUOTE -
"By the ten nights." If the context is kept in view, it will become plain that it implies each group of the ten nights among the thirty nights of the month, the first ten nights being those during which the crescent moon starting as a thin nail. goes on waxing every night until its major portion becomes bright; the second group of the ten nights being those during which the greater part of the night remains illumined by the moon, and the last ten nights being those during which the moon goes on waning and the nights becoming more and more dark until by the end of the month the whole night becomes absolutely dark."
UNQUOTE -

On "even and the odd" ..........

QUOTE -
"Even is the number which is divisible into two equal parts, as 2, 4, 6, 8, and the odd the number which is not so divisible, as l, 3, 5, 7  .... Since the context here concerns the day and the night, the even and the odd mean the alternation of day and night in the sense that the dates of the month go on changing from the first to the second, and from second to the third, and every change brings with it a new state." 
UNQUOTE -

MashAllah, many thanks brother TS.  Good job finding this.    It's certainly a very sensible one and I'm glad it's a rare one that studies the Quran independently, not hovering around traditional writings.    Thanks again.  I must remember and save it so that there shouldn't be any future confusions on this topic.  I mean, surely Allah knows best, but I think this commentary is largely accurate.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 08:42:53 am »

You're very welcomed Sister Zeynab Smiley  I also found Maududi's opinion on these important Verses a breakthrough.  It does appear very thoughtfully accurate.   
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 08:48:14 am »

Allah bless you me brother!   This is very educative.  Really simplified my task.  I now need to enter it in my backup file and will then InshAllah, teach the kiddos. 
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 08:49:27 am »

Very welcomed Sister Ruhi .. Smiley  glad it has helped.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 03:06:13 am »

Many thanks brother TS.  I was researching this topic again tonight but your quote of Maududi's explanation sounds right to me.  And Allah knows best.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: