Guests wanting to sign-up as members MUST first introduce themselves in detail at Zainab's Lounge, accessible from Muslim Villa's Guestbook Board (top sticky post titled "Zainab's Lounge"). Approval of members is at the discretion of the MV Team. You have arrived at a place of serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Sublime Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism."
Muslim Villa
October 18, 2018, 10:22:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Shadows of a distant memory

+-
Shoutbox
October 09, 2018, 09:50:31 pm Ruhi_Rose: Salam brother.  Very easy. First click on the board title you wish to post in.  You'll find main board topics below and sub-boards (default label "child boards") above.  If you wish to post in main board click "new topic" button on top left.  If you wish to post in any of the sub-boards, click on that sub board title and then click "new topic" button on above left side.  You'll get the format for typing your post, then click "post" button below.
October 06, 2018, 12:46:27 pm momin: how can i post things here if i have something to post. Smiley
 Smiley
September 14, 2018, 12:33:22 am Ruhi_Rose: Yes br. TS, that's a very important article to read.
September 14, 2018, 12:08:22 am N. Truth Seeker: Thank u.  Allah bless u for remembering, sister.   Also reminding our guests to read: The traditional declaration of fasting on the 10th of Muharram .... the real story behind it. Same article in the blog too.
September 13, 2018, 11:09:22 pm Zeynab: Muharram 1440 A.H.
Please read why our Islamic new year is full of tragic memories.
June 08, 2018, 08:49:28 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Leilatul Qadr 1439 (2018) on June 8. To learn about this great Night, read our posts on Leilatul Qadr @ this thread.
May 16, 2018, 04:03:41 am Ruhi_Rose: Ramadan Mubarak to u too brother and to everyone.  May Allah accept our efforts.  Ameen.
May 16, 2018, 04:01:41 am N. Truth Seeker: Ramadan 2018 Mubarak to all.  Just finished sahoor, getting ready for Fajr.  Alhumdulilah.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Shadows of a distant memory  (Read 830 times)
Zeynab
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: December 16, 2007, 01:25:12 am »

BismEm

The vague memories of childhood are never easy to straighten out and read.  Particularly if they involve the paranormal, that really makes one think over and over again if "what I saw was real."  I'm talking about a time when I was about five years old and my older brother, ten years of age.  My parents and the four of us, siblings, were staying in portion of a rented double-storey house.  I recall it being a comfortable house with spacious bedrooms.  I also remember that outside of my parents' room (which was the largest of all the 3 bedrooms in the house) was a balcony that overlooked a field occupied by gypsies who frequently arrived and left with their caravans pulled by horses and camels. 

Also I recall, I began my first day in school when I was living in this house Smiley  My kindergarten days were spent here that lasted for almost a year till we left this house for a much larger one in a different city that I've mentioned in my post "Graveyard spirits or gas? True personal story."

I was almost four years of age when I arrived in this house with my parents and 3 siblings.  However, I don't recall that but I know it because I was told as such by my parents and two older brothers. 

My recollections (a bit blurred) are only of the tailend of my stay when I was around five years old.  Based on these recollections, life was generally happy for us in this house.  Such distant memories usually run along the mind in bits and pieces.  I recall my mother inviting her lady friends for snack-lunch parties very often.  I used to watch these sophisticated ladies wearing their elegant party clothes, coming over to our home.  I recall being totally fascinated by the lovely clothes, jewellery and cosmetics my mother wore while attending the get-togethers with these old school friends of hers.  My brothers would noramlly return home from school at one in the afternoon, me around 12 noon and my fourth sibling (who's a couple of years younger than me) was too young to go to school.  My father returned home from office around four in the afternoon.  By five in the evening we would all be together.  There would be a lot of noise and laughter in the house.  It was only during weekends that we went out, either to the movies or to visit relatives and friends or simply for a long drive in our big old car.  The week days would be spent at home.  My two older brothers would usually get busy with their homework for an hour or so.  From 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. (that is, till dinner time) our entire family would get-together, chatting happily in great spirits.

It was during one of these evenings, at about 8.30 (it had turned pitch dark outside) when we all sat in our parents bedroom, talking and chatting.  My (immediate) older sibling who was enjoying a few moments of fresh summer air at the balcony, rushed into the bedroom, half amused and half scared, saying that from the balcony he could see a white figure like a horse walking as though smoothly floating in the compound along the driveway.  I recall, neither my parents nor my eldest brother took his words seriously.  They simply ignored him and continued chatting.  But my 10-year-old brother kept insisting on what he saw.  Not getting any attention from them, he asked me to come to the balcony and watch what he just saw.  Very playfully, I went along with him and we leaned against the balcony railing, overlooking the gypsy field ahead and our driveway below.  True enough, uptil this day I recall seeing a strange white figure moving smoothly along that driveway.  I cannot be sure whether or not it was a horse, but the shape looked like an animal of the size of a horse.  It was impossible to see the details as it was too dark outside and that part of the driveway didn't have any lights either.  I had a very eerie feeling inside of me .. a feeling of deep fear of something totally unknown to me.  I must have stood there looking at the white apprition (or whatever) for about 5 or 6 seconds with my brother.  Then, we both ran back into the bedroom.  Both of us were awfully shaken.  My parents noticed our fear.  They presumed that we simply got frightened of the dark or perhaps must have seen some shadows reflecting from the main street ahead that scared us.  That might have been so, but what we saw didn't at all resemble a reflecting shadow.  It seemed a lot more real.  I'm sure about that.

Anyhow, my parents shut the bedroom door that led to the balcony.  We went downstairs for dinner and the story was forgotten.  Neither my brother nor I ever had the guts to stand in that balcony again after dark.  No other paranormal activities were felt nor seen by anyone in or around that house. 

Only Allah knows what that white figure must have been.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 09:22:10 pm »

Hmmm, quite mind boggling, really.  If u r sure it wasn't a reflection of main street lights, the other possibility can be that someone might have been trying to scare u kids.  But the question is who?  I presume this happened in your country of origin.  So there might have been servants in or outside the house.  Maybe they tried to play this trick for fun.
Report Spam   Logged

Zeynab
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 09:26:08 pm »

lol .. no sis.  It wasn't anyone trying to play a trick.  Yeah of course there were 2 servants in the house at that time, but no one was outside.  And those servants were old and responsible, not at all the type who would stoop down to play such tricks.  Besides, when we saw this strange object, both servants were in the kitchen downstairs.  We could hear them clattering dishes and preparing our dinner.  It was dinner time spot-on.
It's just very confusing.  There's no explanation that I have found so far, even after so many years.  Only Allah knows best what that was.

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 03:27:10 am »

hmm, ok.  yes true, only Allah knows the actual truth. 

This reminds me of bad luck and curses.  From our apartment window we can see a row of 5 or 6 shops.  One of them is a small Pak grocery store, the other is a dry cleaner's shop, an antique shop and one on the extreme left corner is a small private fast food restaurant.  You won't believe it, but since the last 5 years that we've been in this apartment, we've seen 4 different such small restaruants come up at this spot.  No business here has succeeded and each time the owner has had to close down after a year.  Next to this fast food space where all these restaurants have come and gone, there's a funeral home.  As you would know, the Christian community in the West conduct funeral ceremonies in these funeral homes.  A lot of people say that perhaps this business spot is cursed by the spirits of those who's funerals take place in that funeral home.

My husband and I only keep wondering why no business succeeds on that spot.

But really, only Allah knows best.   Walaikum salam and peace dear sis.
Report Spam   Logged

Zeynab
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 07:29:41 am »

ummmm .. that sounds interestingly weird.  I've heard a lot of incidents on such bad luck being persistent.  While only Allah knows the truth about it, it makes the mind curious.  Your posts are always so interesting.  Thanks sis Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 04:58:25 am »

Hmmmm, this one is really scary sis, and so interesting. According to many psychologists, citings by young children are more believable because of 2 reasons.

(1) It is said that kids below the age of 10 are more prone to be able to see any paranormal activities in the house or within the premises than grown-ups. This is supposed to be a natural phenomenon. However, Allah knows best.

(2) The minds of young children are usually not pre-conditioned. The concepts of fear, exaggeration, lies etc. are not so much the accompaniments of a child's mind as they might be that of an adult. So when a child that young says that they saw such and such thing, they most likely did. That citing can be analysed for finding a plausible reason. But if no reason is deduced, as in the case of you and your brother, children are more worthy of being given the benefit of the doubt than adults in similar positions.

Thanks for sharing zeynab!

This reminds me of bad luck and curses. From our apartment window we can see a row of 5 or 6 shops. One of them is a small Pak grocery store, the other is a dry cleaner's shop, an antique shop and one on the extreme left corner is a small private fast food restaurant. You won't believe it, but since the last 5 years that we've been in this apartment, we've seen 4 different such small restaruants come up at this spot. No business here has succeeded and each time the owner has had to close down after a year. Next to this fast food space where all these restaurants have come and gone, there's a funeral home. As you would know, the Christian community in the West conduct funeral ceremonies in these funeral homes. A lot of people say that perhaps this business spot is cursed by the spirits of those who's funerals take place in that funeral home.

LOL! and sister cat, your story intrigues me. It's also possible that people just don't wanna go to a shop or restaurant that's next to a funeral home .. some find it depressing while some just think it can bring them bad luck. The end result is that the restaurant owner's business suffers Cheesy Also don't forget that the volatile market around the world these days is not at all conducive for small businesses Smiley They open with those smart signs of 'Grand opening' and '20% discount' and what not, and then after a few months they are barely able to pay their rent because of poor sales. They're left with no other choice but to shut down. But then again, it's puzzling why this particular one keeps shutting down while those next to it are fine .. or are they? Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 03:15:15 am »

LOL! and sister cat, your story intrigues me. It's also possible that people just don't wanna go to a shop or restaurant that's next to a funeral home .. some find it depressing while some just think it can bring them bad luck. The end result is that the restaurant owner's business suffers Cheesy Also don't forget that the volatile market around the world these days is not at all conducive for small businesses Smiley They open with those smart signs of 'Grand opening' and '20% discount' and what not, and then after a few months they are barely able to pay their rent because of poor sales. They're left with no other choice but to shut down. But then again, it's puzzling why this particular one keeps shutting down while those next to it are fine .. or are they? Cheesy

Nah, it's not that.  It's not that people don't purposely wanna go there.  It's not that kinda atmosphere.  I mean it's a busy area with lot a hustle bustle.  and that restaurant is not sticking to the funeral home that people might find it spooky or uneasy.  Actually the car park area of the funeral home separates the funeral home building from the restaurant.  So there's some bit of space.  But the fact is that it's the first shop next to the funeral home.  Well, a new restaurant has come up just one month ago.  As my husband and I observe from our window, hardly anyone goes to buy a meal there though the place seems neat.  Of course we don't go coz we doubt it's Halal.  But non-Muslims normally love to pick eatables from such places.  I have a hunch this place will close in a year.  If so, it'll be the 5th business in the last 4 years.  and I don't know how many closed prior to that when we weren't living here.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 08:07:44 pm »

This reminds me of bad luck and curses. From our apartment window we can see a row of 5 or 6 shops.  Next to this fast food space where all these restaurants have come and gone, there's a funeral home. A lot of people say that perhaps this business spot is cursed by the spirits of those who's funerals take place in that funeral home.

My husband and I only keep wondering why no business succeeds on that spot.

But really, only Allah knows best. Walaikum salam and peace dear sis.

Seems to be a real mysterious and enigmatic business spot  Shocked

Maybe Wall Street should be informed about it ..  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

HE WHO KNEELS BEFORE ALLAH CAN
STAND BEFORE ANYONE.
N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 08:09:54 pm »

BTW - original post is also very interesting.  thanks sister.
Report Spam   Logged

HE WHO KNEELS BEFORE ALLAH CAN
STAND BEFORE ANYONE.
Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 07:02:48 pm »

Maybe Wall Street should be informed about it .. Cool

Hummmm, so ya think I'm joking  :Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print