Guestbook opened for now. We aren't registering members at the moment. Guests wanting to post brief queries may post in our guestbook. No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism."
Muslim Villa
July 30, 2021, 11:46:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Is Hell Eternal?

+-
Shoutbox
July 20, 2021, 11:41:46 am Ruhi_Rose: Wa'Salam and Eid al Adha mubarak dear Sis 🙂
July 20, 2021, 10:50:47 am Zeynab: As-Salaam Alaikum dear brothers and sisters.  Hajj mubarak and Eid-al-Adha mubarak.
July 15, 2021, 09:46:44 am N. Truth Seeker: What are the months for Hajj, and what does "Ten Nights" in Surah Al-Fajr refer to?  Visit the following link to study this very significant information.
4 months of Hajj, and Surah Al-Fajr.
July 12, 2021, 05:44:36 am Heba E. Husseyn: As we enter the month of Dhul Hijjah 1442, please read what the Great Quran says about Hajj.  Also visit the related links at the end of the same post to learn more.
July 10, 2021, 11:40:41 am Zeynab: They're folks with zero conscience.
July 10, 2021, 11:39:02 am N. Truth Seeker: I see ....  if they had only given a fraction of the money for rebuilding Gaza ..
July 10, 2021, 11:37:24 am Heba E. Husseyn: I think another slimeball is elon musk ..
July 10, 2021, 11:34:58 am N. Truth Seeker: so true sister.  Btw, are bezos and branson the only ones, anyone else as well trying to please their lowly ego?
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Is Hell Eternal?  (Read 134 times)
Ozcan

Badges: (View All)
« on: July 23, 2012, 04:51:30 pm »

Assalamu alaikum,

Do you think Hell is eternal for disbelievers and polytheists as pretty much all Muslims believe?

I hope I'm in the right section and that I'm not violating any rules by asking this question here  gdbi

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ozcan

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 06:20:09 am »

Has this been discussed before? Maybe I should browse the whole forum when I have more time.
Report Spam   Logged
Zeynab
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 04:38:08 pm »

Walaikum Salaam brother Ozcan.   So sorry for the very, very delayed response.  Somehow none of us got the notification.  Don't know why .. or we just missed it.

No, your question does not violate our rules.  

We have discussed briefly a similar topic with reference to Verses 11:106-108 of Surah Hud.  Our discussion was based on the Quranic expression "save for that which thy Lord willeth" occurring in these Verses.  The following is the link for that discussion in our forum.
http://muslimvilla.smfforfree.com/index.php?topic=1548.msg4440#msg4440

However, I'll discuss it again by taking up some additional points.  I first quote Verses 11:106-108 as follows:

"As for those who will be wretched (on that day) they will be in the Fire; sighing and wailing will be their portion therein,   (11:106)
Abiding there so long as the heavens and the earth endure save for that which thy Lord willeth. Lo! thy Lord is Doer of what He will.  (11:107)

And as for those who will be glad (that day) they will be in the Garden, abiding there so long as the heavens and the earth endure save for that which thy Lord willeth: a gift unfailing."  (11:108)

It's generally the underlined words that some readers, mostly the critics, either cannot understand or purposely use it for criticism claiming to be contradictory.  I don't agree with that.  

The expression ".. so long as the heavens and the earth endure" is quite obviously stated idiomatically to underscore the everlasting nature of existence of the dwellers of Paradise and Hell in the respective places.  It's true that when the Day of Judgement arrives, the earth will be destroyed.  But what we need to grasp is the term "earth" is referred metaphorically as we view the earth at present where many people take for granted that the earth's period of existence is too long to worry about.  

The expression "save for that which thy Lord willeth" is not meant to confirm the temporary existence in Hell or Paradise.  I think Allah has made it quite clear that the dwellers of both these places will live there permanently as a standard norm.  It's also been conveyed to us that both Paradise and Hell have various grades because righteous and unrighteous deeds of humans (and most likely also of jinn) have different degrees.  The underlined expression is a symbolic one indicating Allah's absolute power, emphasizing that everything happens in accordance with His decisions.  No power can save those who are destined to be tormented in Hell.  Allah has complete power to forgive anyone He pleases or to make changes in the duration or severity of torment concerning anyone He decides.  He makes all the laws and there is NO law higher than His laws and NOTHING that can ever limit His powers.  It's this aspect that's been conveyed in the underscored expression.

That's as much as I think these Verses imply.  Other than these, I don't know of any other Quranic Verse or Verses that can be mistakenly interpreted as Hell not being eternal.   For deriving conclusions concerning the various  Quranic assertions of all its contents, it's essential to have an overview of the entire Book from start to finish on every aspect.  Having said that, the Quran definitely conveys the information that as a standard norm, Hell is eternal.

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 11:49:41 pm »

Also check Verse 3:24

"That is because they say: The Fire will not touch us save for a certain number of days. That which they used to invent hath deceived them regarding their religion."  (3:24)  Al-Imran.

Reference here is to the People of the Scripture (Jews & Christians) who would brag by presuming that the abode of Hell would be for a while.  Allah Almighty has clearly refuted their view as delusional and an invention of their own minds.  It again confirms Hell is eternal.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: