Guestbook opened for now.  We aren't registering members at the moment.  Guests wanting to post brief queries may post in our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism."
Muslim Villa
January 25, 2022, 05:03:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

So now, Hadith wants us to starve, eating only a few bites of food for each meal

+-
Shoutbox
July 20, 2021, 11:41:46 am Ruhi_Rose: Wa'Salam and Eid al Adha mubarak dear Sis 🙂
July 20, 2021, 10:50:47 am Zainab_M: As-Salaam Alaikum dear brothers and sisters.  Hajj mubarak and Eid-al-Adha mubarak.
July 15, 2021, 09:46:44 am N. Truth Seeker: What are the months for Hajj, and what does "Ten Nights" in Surah Al-Fajr refer to?  Visit the following link to study this very significant information.
4 months of Hajj, and Surah Al-Fajr.
July 12, 2021, 05:44:36 am Heba E. Husseyn: As we enter the month of Dhul Hijjah 1442, please read what the Great Quran says about Hajj.  Also visit the related links at the end of the same post to learn more.
July 10, 2021, 11:40:41 am Zainab_M: They're folks with zero conscience.
July 10, 2021, 11:39:02 am N. Truth Seeker: I see ....  if they had only given a fraction of the money for rebuilding Gaza ..
July 10, 2021, 11:37:24 am Heba E. Husseyn: I think another slimeball is elon musk ..
July 10, 2021, 11:34:58 am N. Truth Seeker: so true sister.  Btw, are bezos and branson the only ones, anyone else as well trying to please their lowly ego?
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: So now, Hadith wants us to starve, eating only a few bites of food for each meal  (Read 132 times)
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« on: May 24, 2021, 09:08:02 pm »

As-Salam Alaikum everyone.  

Though Allah Almighty has clearly referred to food in the Noble Quran as a blessing and favor from Him to His slaves, Hadith as usual has different ideas.

Let us first focus on what the Quran says.  

"and eat and drink, but be not prodigal. Lo! He loveth not the prodigals."  7:31  Al-Araf.

Traditionalists totally misinterpret Verse 7:31 by explaining the word 'prodigal' as overeating.   The word 'prodigal' (original Arabic word in the Quran is tus'rifū) means to spend money or resources freely and recklessly or to be wastefully extravagant.  It does NOT refer to eating your favorite food or to enjoy eating to please your taste buds, if you can afford it.   Verse 7:31 does NOT disallow anyone from eating as much as they want or whatever they desire to fulfil their needs or wishes as long as the food is Halal.  This doesn't necessarily amount to wasting money as long as a person is spending within their resources.   Prodigality in this Verse (which has been disallowed) refers to being a spendthrift or one who is unnecessarily extravagant in every facet of life.  Speaking a lie by using Verse 7:31 to discourage people from enjoying food is something for which these traditionalists will have to answer to Allah. 

In another Verse Allah Almighty says:

"So eat of the lawful and good food which Allah has provided for you, and thank the bounty of your Rab if it is Him ye serve."  16:114

The food we get to eat is a blessing from Allah Almighty, and enjoying our food (whether we eat much or little depending on one's normal appetite and the capacity of everyone's appetite is different) is enjoying the blessings of Allah.  We can be grateful to Him only if we appreciate and enjoy whatever he has provided for us.

If eating a full stomach is such a bad thing then why would Allah Almighty mention of getting plenty of food in Jannah?   "Eat, drink and welcome, O you blessed, in return for what you did."  77:43.

But according to Hadith eating too much is the root of all problems.  Well yes, it may be detrimental for health in the case of some people, but that doesn't go to say that overeating is Haram.  Not just that but hadith adherents also claim that "excessive eating" keeps us away from sincerity and distracts us from Allah.  The preposterous claims are that eating a full stomach makes the "body heavy which leads to sluggishness and yawning" during worship and work.  Therefore according to traditionalists "don’t eat more than a few bites to stay alive and fit."   This type of nonsense really needs to be banned.

The false Hadith that forges the name of the beloved Prophet (pbuh) to circulate this lie is, quote:  “The son of Adam does not fill any vessel worse than his stomach. It is sufficient for the son of Adam to eat a few morsels to keep him alive. If he must fill it, then one-third for his food, one-third for his drink, and one-third for air.” (al-Tirmidhi –saheeh by al-Albaani).

Another forged hadith using the name of Umar bin Khattab misinterprets Verse 46:20 to justify eating less and not wearing nice clothes :  "If I wanted I could wear the finest clothes among you, and eat the best food, and have the most luxurious life. But I heard that Allaah will condemn people for some of their actions" and then this hadith quotes Verse 46:20 with an incomplete and incorrect translation as follows:  “You received your good things in the life of the world, and you took your pleasure therein. Now this Day you shall be recompensed with a torment of humiliation, because you were arrogant in the land without a right, and because you used to rebel against Allaah’s Command (disobey Allaah)” [al-Ahqaaf 46:20] 

The actual translation is:  "And on the day when those who disbelieve are exposed to the Fire (it will be said): You squandered your good things in the life of the world and sought comfort therein. Now this day you are rewarded with the doom of ignominy because ye were disdainful in the land without a right, and because ye used to transgress."  46:20  Al Ahqaf.  

Verse 46:20 is clear and self-explanatory.  It is clearly speaking to disbelievers who were heedless of Allah during earthly life.  Indeed everything they do will be wasted in the Hereafter.  How can anyone be dumb enough to assume that this Verse refers to the believers' love for eating good food?   

To further popularize these forged ahadith, medieval jurists made their own 'contributions.

According to a Persian so-called scholar named Sufyan Al Thawri who died in 778 AD, eating too much makes a person sluggish and they tend to sleep a lot and waste too much time. He said:  "If you want your body to be healthy and to sleep less, then eat less."

A hadith traditionalist who died in 855 AD named Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal said eating too much makes a person insensitive (hard hearted) and heedless of Allah.   When someone asked him:  "Does a man find any softness and humility in his heart when he is full?"   He said, “I do not think so.”   Such illogical talk sounds almost offensive.

Then again, there's a story from Ibrahim ibn Adhaam, a phony sounding sufi "saint" who was supposed to be the king of Persia or Afghanistan in the 8th century and claims he abdicated his throne after getting a warning from Allah Almighty.   A quote in the name of Adhaam that's going around to boost this false hadith on eating less says "Any one who controls his stomach is in control of his deen, and anyone who controls his hunger is in control of good behavior.. Disobedience towards Allah is nearest to a person who is satiated with a full stomach, and furthest away from a person who is hungry

Contrary to such talks, Allah Almighty says  "(O man), follow not that whereof you have no knowledge. Indeed! the hearing and the sight and the heart - of each of these it will be asked."  (17:36).    Also Allah says  "And do not say about what your tongues assert of untruth, "This is lawful and this is unlawful," to invent falsehood about Allah.  Indeed, those who invent falsehood about Allah will not succeed."  (16:116).    Insh'Allah, Ibrahim ibn Adhaam will have to answer to The Almighty on the Day of Judgement why he invented such unnecessary gossips.

And as always, contradictions aren't unusual in the traditional mainstream.  I've often heard other jurists say that there's nothing wrong with striving for a good life, that is, good house, good car, good clothes etc.  as long as you don't forget Allah.   Okay true, but these jurists again go to the other extreme.   If one is focused on the goodies of life too much, won't it be a distraction from the values of ethics and leading to heedlessness toward Allah?   Yet some of our folks who are supposed to be teaching us do not see it that way.  However, the same guys say don't eat a full stomach for it will make you heedless toward Allah.  It's really hard to understand what they're getting at.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 03:23:29 pm »

From what I know, this is a comparatively recent forgery.   I had heard a hadither discussing about it a year ago in one of our virtual meetings.   That was the first time I heard about it.  When I saw your post yesterday, I showed it to my dad.  He said they never knew about it when they were young but did learn of it much later in life.   Everyone knows it's forgery.    Such stuff only has rhetorical value.  Even those jurists who lecture about it don't really bother over these countless forgeries as soon as their lecture is over.  These are just 'spices and seasonings' to trigger the interest of the audience. 

You will find many ahadith known to our grandparents but not known to our parents, ahadith known to our parents but not known to us, and this goes on generation after generation because every so many years new forgeries prop up and slipped into various hadith segments with the label of "sahih."

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 03:45:01 pm »

I keep hearing these forged nonsenses day in and day out during our virtual gatherings.   After some of my honest and candid comments, the good thing is that by now they know that I am a Quran alone Muslimah and have accepted it .. and sometimes are also a bit conscious of my presence .. being slightly careful of the quality of forgeries they tout (out of sheer embarrassment of course)   😅  They discussed this forged hadith a few months ago.   I told them, and which is true as I've personally experienced, when I've finished my dinner I can concentrate on my Isha salat much better than when I'm a bit hungry or stomach feels half fed.  They didn't say anything.   

These are just 'spices and seasonings' to trigger the interest of the audience. 

Yes, that's exactly what it is.  The problem is, these 'spices' and 'seasonings' are given the title of  "Islam" giving the Islamophobes the fullest opportunity to carry out their part of falsifications and propaganda. 

You will find many ahadith known to our grandparents but not known to our parents, ahadith known to our parents but not known to us, and this goes on generation after generation because every so many years new forgeries prop up and slipped into various hadith segments with the label of "sahih."

Agree 101%.   And this is precisely also what's happening with the altered Bibles.  Every 5 years or so the vatican makes adjustments to suit the social and political climate.   E.g. about 2 or 3 years after 9/11 when US ally, Al Qaeda terrorists hit the twin towers and the FBI terrorists dynamited the buildings and the western establishment went ga ga with an opportunity to nail all Muslims as "criminals"" and "terrorists", the pope's office in Rome issued a statement saying it's again time to edit and update the New Testament.   These clowns are such a joke!

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 04:02:16 pm »

Very thoughtful points Sister Ruhi .....

...... the good thing is that by now they know that I am a Quran alone Muslimah and have accepted it .. and sometimes are also a bit conscious of my presence .. being slightly careful of the quality of forgeries they tout (out of sheer embarrassment of course)  😅    

😃

They discussed this forged hadith a few months ago.   I told them, and which is true as I've personally experienced, when I've finished my dinner I can concentrate on my Isha salat much better than when I'm a bit hungry or stomach feels half fed.  They didn't say anything.

Yes, spot on.   We always do our Isha after dinner.   A good meal, by the Bounty of Allah, helps better concentration on salat. 

Those hadithers whom I saw discussing about it a year ago were saying that during Ramadan after Iftar many people feel tired and lethargic and are unable to perform their Isha and salat-al-leil because they overeat during Iftar.   First of all, I mentioned, month of Ramadan is a different matter.   Some do tend to overeat because of the long gap between dawn and evening meals but Allah has not mentioned anywhere in His Final Message that overeating during Iftar is a sin.  Secondly, with some people, even if they eat little during Iftar - maybe just a falafel, a sandwich and an apple - they still feel overfed.  Sometimes you cannot eat much anyway when the gap between meals is longer than usual;  just a bit of food can make you feel quite full.  That too is fine, nothing wrong with it. 
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 04:19:47 pm »

Yeah, you're right brother.  In Ramadan very often we have so much Iftar leftover.  Though the kids enjoy it, my husband and I can't eat much, we feel stuffed after eating just half of what we thought we could eat.  That happens because of the long pause between Sahoor and Iftar, as you rightly said ... usually when Ramadan is in summer months.  At such times, hunger and thirst are at their peak in the afternoon between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. .. then gradually begins to decline.   Shortly before Iftar the sight of food and sherbets again stirs up the hunger and thirst.   But surprisingly, many of us are unable to eat much at this point.  If the stomach is empty for long, one often cannot eat much right away when food is available.  In Ramadan during Iftar when we usually aren't able to eat much;  we generally feel a bit hungry again after salat al-leil .. which can be stretched a bit more to an early Sahoor.   Therefor, to claim (much less generalize) overeating as the cause of laziness in Ramadan is just not true.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 04:22:30 pm »

This is quite the story with adult members of my family too, including myself, though the kids gobble a lot more than us during Iftar  ......
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: