Guestbook opened for now. We aren't registering members at the moment. Guests wanting to post brief queries may post in our guestbook. No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism."
Muslim Villa
May 17, 2022, 09:26:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Ramadan

+-
Shoutbox
April 28, 2022, 07:37:04 am Heba E. Husseyn: Salam dear all. Insh'Allah, I hope The Almighty accepts our prayers and supplications for Leilatul Qadr.  Ameen ya Allah.
February 12, 2022, 06:10:26 am Ruhi_Rose: Walaykum As-Salam brother MM  Cheesy   where have you been?  Insh'Allah, we hope you are safe and well.
February 11, 2022, 10:03:07 pm MuslimanMahlon: salaam alaykum Cheesy
July 20, 2021, 11:41:46 am Ruhi_Rose: Wa'Salam and Eid al Adha mubarak dear Sis 🙂
July 20, 2021, 10:50:47 am Zainab_M: As-Salaam Alaikum dear brothers and sisters.  Hajj mubarak and Eid-al-Adha mubarak.
July 15, 2021, 09:46:44 am N. Truth Seeker: What are the months for Hajj, and what does "Ten Nights" in Surah Al-Fajr refer to?  Visit the following link to study this very significant information.
4 months of Hajj, and Surah Al-Fajr.
July 12, 2021, 05:44:36 am Heba E. Husseyn: As we enter the month of Dhul Hijjah 1442, please read what the Great Quran says about Hajj.  Also visit the related links at the end of the same post to learn more.
July 10, 2021, 11:40:41 am Zainab_M: They're folks with zero conscience.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ramadan  (Read 51 times)
Jeff

Badges: (View All)
« on: March 24, 2022, 08:21:45 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify

Assalam o alaikum brothers and sisters.

Since it is right around the corner I want to make sure I observe the month correctly especially the fasting.

Last year I became Muslim about 2/3 through Ramadan and the way they taught me to fast was eat up until 5mins before fjar then no food or water consumed until breaking the fast 5 mins before maghrib. If this is correct please clarify. Also please link me anything Ramadan related so I can read when I get the chance.

Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 10:11:42 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Walaikum As-Salaam and Ramadan Kareem. May The Almighty reward you for your hard work and your genuine desire to grasp His guidance.   Ameen.  And Allah never denies the wages of hard workers.

Assalam o alaikum brothers and sisters.

Since it is right around the corner I want to make sure I observe the month correctly especially the fasting.

Last year I became Muslim about 2/3 through Ramadan and the way they taught me to fast was eat up until 5mins before fjar then no food or water consumed until breaking the fast 5 mins before maghrib. If this is correct please clarify. Also please link me anything Ramadan related so I can read when I get the chance.

Thanks   

Yes, we are aware the traditionalists follow those timings for Sahoor (meal prior to dawn before fasting begins) and Iftar  (meal for breaking the fast) in Ramadan.  Unfortunately again, these timings are incorrect because they are not in compliance with Quranic information.

You can get the complete information on timings of the pre-dawn (Sahoor) and evening (Iftar) Ramadan meals taken directly from the Noble Quran which we have carefully explained in our following two posts:

- Until what time can we eat Sahoor?
- Be careful to break you fast at the right time

Some folks stop eating few minutes before Fajr prayers.  At this time it's pitch dark like nightfall. According to Quranic information, one can eat until the first glimmer of light appears in the atmosphere, prior to sunrise.  That would be at least 25 minutes after the time for Fajr prayers posted by traditionalists.  E.g.  If sunrise is at 7.10 a.m., Fajr time is posted at 5.55 a.m., that is, 1 hour and 15 minutes before sunrise.  That's actually too early for Fajr, but even if you decide to offer Fajr at that time, you certainly can continue eating Sahoor during Ramadan for at least 25 minutes longer.  For further clarification and analysis please visit the link of our post.

The Noble Quran has categorically articulated that the time to break our fast (Iftar) is not during sunset (or maghrib) as traditionally followed.  The Quran says that the time to break the fast is soon after nightfall ('leil' in Arabic), which is approximately 25 to 35 minutes after sunset (or maghrib).  The hadithists reject this Quranic assertion for the simple reason they claim they must follow whatever the hadith says and their argument ends there.  For explanation based on Quranic information, please visit the link of our post.  We are also aware that  if we are spending time with our hadithist friends for an Iftar get-together, we might be compelled to break our fast dot at maghrib to avoid dissension and the unpleasantness it spreads.  That's sad.  Nonetheless, the fact remains that what is wrong is wrong.  This hadith invented idea is wrong, period.  It blatantly clashes with the command of Allah in the Noble Quran.

Leila-tul-Qadr:
As perhaps you already know, the occasion of Leila-tul-Qadr is the essence of Ramadan.  Leila-tul-Qadr (the Night of Decree is the Night when the first Verses of the Noble Quran were revealed to the beloved Final Messenger in the year 1443 AD in the Cave of Hira located in the outskirts of Makkah.  The exact day and time of this very significant event is not mentioned in the Quran;   Allah only mentions that it was in the month of Ramadan, thus highlighting the importance of fasting and worshiping Him throughout this month with special care.  The notion about the Night of Decree (Leila-tul-Qadr) occurring on the night of 26th and 27th Ramadan comes from hadith which is NOT confirmed by Allah Almighty anywhere in His Final Book.   To know the Quranic perspective of Leila-tul-Qadr please read our post Leila-tul Qadr.

Related posts:

-  To break fast in extreme locations
-  Perception in regard to Rajab and Shaban (the two months that precede Ramadan)
-  Optional fasting in Rajab and Shaban - big mess by hadith and imams

Report Spam   Logged

Jeff

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 02:34:41 am »

Does sighting the moon have anything to do with the start of Ramadan? That's what my sunni freind was saying. I need to know the start date of Ramadan so I don't miss a day of the fast. According to my app it starts this new zealand Sunday April 3. But since my freind said it has something to do with the moon now I'm not sure.
Report Spam   Logged
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 03:23:31 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

Salam brother and Ramadan Mubarak.   Well yes, Islam follows the lunar calendar.  In 30 days the crescent moon turns into a full moon and then back into crescent to indicate the start of the following month.  Ahumdulilah.  In early times when meteorological science wasn't too developed, people counted the months by observing the phases of the moon as they did during the Prophet's (pbuh) time in Arabia.  Presently, that's seen as the traditional method and many Muslim communities like to adhere to it which is fine.  Alternatively, meteorological observation can also determine precisely when the crescent moon is due.  Alhumdulilah to that as well.  Some Muslims might like to follow this method which too is fine.  Officially first day of fasting in North America begins today, April 2nd.  If in New Zealand your weather app of moon phases shows new moon appearing on April 3, it would be correct in my opinion.  However, also find out when the majority of the Muslim community in NZ is observing Ramadan 1st.   You can follow them too if you like.  Difference of one day wouldn't matter much.

Report Spam   Logged

Jeff

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 05:14:20 am »

Thanks sisters
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

+ Quick Reply
With a Quick-Reply you can use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post, but much more conveniently.
BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough|GlowShadowMarquee|Preformatted TextLeft AlignCenteredRight Align|Horizontal Rule|Font SizeFont Face
Insert FlashInsert ImageInsert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert FTP Link|Insert TableInsert Table RowInsert Table Column|SuperscriptSubscriptTeletype|Insert CodeInsert Quote|Insert List
Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry angel Jumping laugh police CatSmiley Sleep smkng sport gdbi cryin dancin simpsons RollLaugh HysLaugh HappyBirthday doggy monkey teddybear sittingbunny BismEm salamem offtem proem oopsem bedtem crybem seeyem thebesem backem soryemt weldem Thumbsup Thumbsdwn rdht teethsmile tonguesmile wsalam tesetong Beatin crazyones LaaughingAway shiiit claaap viictery hiyaaa