Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now. Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook. No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
June 27, 2022, 01:03:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Imam Ghazali, a summary of his intellectualism

+-
Shoutbox
June 15, 2022, 12:51:58 pm Ruhi_Rose: View Muslim Villa Gallery
April 28, 2022, 07:37:04 am Heba E. Husseyn: Salam dear all. Insh'Allah, I hope The Almighty accepts our prayers and supplications for Leilatul Qadr.  Ameen ya Allah.
February 12, 2022, 06:10:26 am Ruhi_Rose: Walaykum As-Salam brother MM  Cheesy   where have you been?  Insh'Allah, we hope you are safe and well.
February 11, 2022, 10:03:07 pm MuslimanMahlon: salaam alaykum Cheesy
July 20, 2021, 11:41:46 am Ruhi_Rose: Wa'Salam and Eid al Adha mubarak dear Sis 🙂
July 20, 2021, 10:50:47 am Zainab_M: As-Salaam Alaikum dear brothers and sisters.  Hajj mubarak and Eid-al-Adha mubarak.
July 15, 2021, 09:46:44 am N. Truth Seeker: What are the months for Hajj, and what does "Ten Nights" in Surah Al-Fajr refer to?  Visit the following link to study this very significant information.
4 months of Hajj, and Surah Al-Fajr.
July 12, 2021, 05:44:36 am Heba E. Husseyn: As we enter the month of Dhul Hijjah 1442, please read what the Great Quran says about Hajj.  Also visit the related links at the end of the same post to learn more.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Imam Ghazali, a summary of his intellectualism  (Read 56 times)
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: May 24, 2022, 11:03:04 pm »

A beautiful 12-minute video on the life and successes of the amazing Imam Ghazali.  He was born in 1058 in Tus, Iran, and died 53 years later in the same place.   He was a loyal Quran adherent; always upheld Faith as the cornerstone of science, rejecting those silly mythical philosophies, many of which also came from ones like Aristotle, Plato and Socrates who get way too much credit than they deserve from Western communities.  Mark the words of the modern commentator in his video who once utters "Quran and Sunnah."   But actually with Imam Ghazali it was only the Noble Quran.  The hadith heritage hadn't gained much ground by the 11th and 12th centuries .. and until much later.  The sort of Bukhari & co. ahadith which modern Muslims read and revere would have left Ghazali aghast!  He had the title of "proof of Islam" (Hojjat al-Islam).  The best part of this video is at the end, the last piece of Imam Ghazali's writing he left behind a day or two before he passed.  

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 11:29:24 pm »

Very nice.  I love such videos.  Mash'Allah.    My husband and I keep asking ourselves why have our lot decayed as much as we have?   The political culture of subservience to Western powers and rogues like Israel and India that gradually crept into the policies of modern Muslim leaders diminished not only the spirit of political sovereignty within the pan-Islamic world, but also shook the foundation of Faith and the ethical/social values that come with it.  Thus, the spirit of self reliance and quest for knowledge were replaced with the spirit of fitnah through religious schism.  That has been the final nail.  United we rise, divided we fall.  Thus, we are now on the lowest rung of the ladder and yet quite shameless in regard to our resounding fall from grace to disgrace! 
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 11:37:33 pm »

Exactly Sister .. exactly !!    That is a very precious paragraph you posted.  May The Almighty protect the few conscientious ones within our Ummah.  Ameen.   Such ones are very, very few.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 06:50:39 pm »

Beautiful short movie.  His final words are so true that I would like to write them separately and put that up in our Writing Room. 
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 06:52:31 pm »

That would be a very good idea, brother.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 11:25:58 am »

Isn't the comparison startling?  In the 11th century, Al-Ghazali handled heresy with the help of intellect and logic.  Three hundred years later, the Catholic Church in Rome handled heresy with forced conversions, spying, disappearances and mass killings called the Inquisition that continued for 600 years.

Brother TS, here it is :

Imam Ghazali's final words which he left for his loved ones a day or two prior to his death.

"Tell my crying friends who saw me dead, tell my brothers and sisters in Islam, do not assume I am really dead.  By Allah, keep away from saying it is a death. I am a sparrow and this body is my cage.  I flew away from the cage and the body remained.  I was like a dead man among you this morning.  I lived for a while and then I wore a shroud.  Do not assume death is permanent.  Know that it is life and it is highly desired.  Do not assume death is violence and pain.  It is only moving from one house to another.   Take what you need and be prepared for the road.  If you are smart, do not get busy with anything else.  Pray for me to be blessed, so you are blessed.  We went away, knowing that you are next.  Peace be upon you, are my last words to you.  May Allah take care of you.  What else is there to say?"

Indeed, nothing sounds more soothing than truth.   
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 06:48:40 am »

Isn't the comparison startling?  In the 11th century, Al-Ghazali handled heresy with the help of intellect and logic.  Three hundred years later, the Catholic Church in Rome handled heresy with forced conversions, spying, disappearances and mass killings called the Inquisition that continued for 600 years. 

Excellent point to mention.   That is the truth.

Brother TS, here it is :

Imam Ghazali's final words which he left for his loved ones a day or two prior to his death.

"Tell my crying friends who saw me dead, tell my brothers and sisters in Islam, do not assume I am really dead.  By Allah, keep away from saying it is a death. I am a sparrow and this body is my cage.  I flew away from the cage and the body remained.  I was like a dead man among you this morning.  I lived for a while and then I wore a shroud.  Do not assume death is permanent.  Know that it is life and it is highly desired.  Do not assume death is violence and pain.  It is only moving from one house to another.   Take what you need and be prepared for the road.  If you are smart, do not get busy with anything else.  Pray for me to be blessed, so you are blessed.  We went away, knowing that you are next.  Peace be upon you, are my last words to you.  May Allah take care of you.  What else is there to say?"

Indeed, nothing sounds more soothing than truth.   

Oh!  Tons of thanks Sister Ruhi.  I'm sure Sis Zainab will love it too.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 06:50:36 am »

You're welcome brother.

Btw, in this video they say al-Ghazali learned all his written words by memory after the bandit taunted him.  Is that really correct ?
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 06:56:10 am »

Y.....
Btw, in this video they said al-Ghazali learned all his written words by memory after the bandit taunted him.  Is that really correct ?

I doubt if that bit is correct ....   

😄

Well, only Allah knows best.  However, in these videos they like to spice up matters to make them as interesting as possible.  But I don't know of any genius who was able to memorize their entire line of research in words.  People can surely memorize the Noble Quran (Alhumdulilah), but not their professional field of work.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 06:58:50 am »

Yeah, I had the same in mind.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2022, 07:05:42 am »

Excellent points you stated Sister Ruhi.  The analogy between Ghazali's approach and the Inquisition cannot go unnoticed.

Memorization of his entire intellectual work doesn't sound true.  I wouldn't buy that either.   But the overall story is interesting and his last words before passing are of course wonderfully truthful.  Big thanks for putting that up, sister.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2022, 07:07:26 am »

Very welcome Sis.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: